Chapter 2.0

"IF"

Chapter 2.0

 

Jinki’s POV

 


          “Rrrrrriiiiing…”
 

           Jonghyun and I were already inside our classroom, chatting with our new classmates, exchanging stories about our summer vacations, when the school bell rang. It was the signal that class was starting; well, for us third years though. But for freshmen, it meant that the Opening Ceremony was about to start. It was the first day of classes, so we could see first years forming straight lines inside the school quadrangle, laughing and making new friends. Some of them looked excited, but there were those who had a “WTH-I-CAN’T-BELIEVE-I’M-AT-SCHOOL” face. Since our teacher wasn’t around yet, Jonghyun and I decided to stay on the corridors, sight-seeing, hoping someone would catch our attention. Actually, we couldn’t really see their faces clearly, because we were at the 4th floor of the building, but we continued sight-seeing anyway.


          About 10 minutes have passed and Jonghyun grew tired looking at the freshies, so he headed back to the room, sat on his chair, which was next to mine, and rested his head on the table; while I stayed outside, but now looking at the sky. The sky was clear and you could see how flocks of birds crossed the horizon. It gave off a calm feeling, making me feel good inside. I smiled to myself; I’ve never felt so free before, as if I was one of the birds I just saw. I let out a long hard sigh, and glanced back to the crowd I was looking at before. The moment I shifted my eyes, a running figure caught my attention. A girl, with long black hair, was running towards the crowd of freshmen, who at that time was already seated, listening to the remarks of the guidance counselor.


          “Hahh…” I chuckled. That girl was late for the ceremony, just like how I was back then,  only that I wasn’t running that time, but walking coolly, trying to avoid glances from the other students. It was a funny sight for me; but of course, I felt bad for her, because she was flushing bright red from embarrassment. I was giggling while looking at her, when I suddenly realized—I’ve seen that face before. It didn’t take me long before I realized who she was and unconsciously mouthed her name, “Gwiboon…”


          Yes, she was the girl I met last summer; the crying figure at the park. My eyes widened and I suddenly felt my face become hot; I didn’t know why though. My heart was racing, as if I just saw someone again after a long time. Suddenly, I found myself yearning for her and wanting to hug her tight. I missed her. Even though, we only spent half an hour talking to each other that moment, I’ve grown to like her presence. I wanted to talk to her again, as soon as possible. That time, I felt my body moving on its own. I couldn’t control my feet anymore, as I felt them move step by step heading to the stairs. I was about to run when I heard someone calling me from behind. It was our teacher, asking me where I was going. I didn’t want her to know I was going down to meet some first year student I just saw, so I just smiled innocently at her and told her that I was about to go to the bathroom. She smiled back, but asked me to get back to my seat, because class was about to start. I did as she told me and sat back in class. Everyone was listening carefully as she introduced herself and discussed some rules and regulations to the class; everyone, except me. My mind was still bothered by the thoughts of that girl. I was thinking what I should do next.


          After classes had ended, every single one of us headed to our own school clubs, waiting for interested freshmen to come and join. Jonghyun and I were both in the Music Club; I was the president, while he was my secretary. Our club room was the 2nd Music Room in the building; we chose that room because it had enough musical instruments, if ever we wanted to practice for our school programs. Our club consisted of only 13 members, including Jonghyun and I. Actually, I didn’t know why there were only a handful of students joining us, maybe they didn’t like music that much. *sigh* As for me, I’ve always loved singing and playing the piano, that’s why I decided to join this club, and voila! I was promoted to the presidential position.


          “Jonghyun! Go and drag some students to join us.” I commanded him. I was getting impatient waiting for anyone to enter the room and join our club.


          “Eeeeehhh…” He protested and stuck his tongue out. “Not me~”


          “You little—” I was about to get up from my seat and hit Jonghyun with my bag, when the door slowly opened revealing a familiar face—it was her.


          “Umm, is this the Music Club?” she asked shyly.


          I couldn’t answer back, as I felt my body froze in place. My body was stiff; I tried to part my lips to say something, but no words came out. Good thing, Jonghyun answered back in my place, “Yes, this is the Music Club. Are you perhaps interested in joining this club?” She smiled brightly and nodded.


          My mind was still frozen, until Jonghyun hit me lightly in the head. I didn’t notice that she was already in front of me, with that confused look, wondering why I was in shock. I looked at her, and felt my cheeks become hot, so I backed off a little and showed her my usual innocent smile.


          She joined the Music Club and quickly befriended everyone; except for me. I didn’t know why but I always kept my distance from her; I didn’t hate her though, it’s just that the atmosphere becomes awkward whenever she’s with me. Was it because of our meeting last summer? –Maybe. But, why should I be worried about that—when I’m the only one who remembers that rendezvous we had.

 

--


          Months passed and Jonghyun became closer to her than me; actually he was the closest one to her in our club, and it made me jealous. We talked often, but only about certain topics which had to do with music; nothing personal. It made me irritated at myself. Despite how much I wanted to get closer to her, my mind seemed to hold me back. Until one time, she was the one who approached me first.


          “Jinki Oppa, are you mad at me? Do you hate me?” She asked me with a tint of hurt in her words. She was looking at me straight in the eyes, and I swear I could see how hard she was trying to hold back her tears.


          I felt guilt struck me harshly. What did I do to this girl? She must’ve misunderstood my actions and now, she’s thinking that I hate her.


          “No, of course I don’t. Why would I hate you?” I smiled at her, trying to calm her down. But instead, she burst into tears, like a little kid being scolded by her parents.


          We were the only ones inside the club room at that time, because the others were out member-hunting, so I didn’t know what to do. I was in panic, but I tried my best to calm her down. But everything was epic fail. Ugh, I was desperate, so I did the cheesiest thing ever. I grabbed her arm and pulled her close to me, letting her head rest on my chest. I rubbed her back with my right hand to make her feel better, and I put my left hand on her shoulder, because I was afraid she would push me away if I hug her. Her sobs suddenly faded into sniffles, when she spoke,


          “If you’re gonna calm someone down, at least do it in a more comforting way.” Then she grabbed my arms and placed it around her; so, now I was hugging her. It was an awkward position, but I couldn’t move away because she would whinge in protest.


          “Now, pat my head.” I didn’t know why, but I did as she told me and patted her head. Her sobs have faded completely now, and she was just giggling at my chest. I remembered that giggle from 2 months ago, and I started to blush. I didn’t know how long we were at that position, until she finally broke free, wiped her tears and smiled. Then she slowly headed for the door and left; leaving me awestruck.


          After that day, we became closer than before. We talked more often, laughed more often and hung out more often. And before I realized it, she has already blossomed in my heart. I’ve fallen hard.

--

Author's Note: Yay, more SUBSCRIBERS! :D Rofl. Silent readers, y so ninja? :DD Kekeke. Anyway, so this is gonna be a short series, again. :D I didn't know it was so short, when I first wrote this, rofl. But after this, I'm gonna post my longest (lmao) one, that's yet to be finished. :D So yeah, stay tuned! :D

FEEDBACKS JUSEYO! :P