Chapter 3.0

"IF"

Chapter 3.0

 

Jinki’s POV

 

          If I should go, should I go close to you?
          How would you think about it? I am fallen-heartened.

 

          These words filled my mind while I was out in the school yard resting under a tree, listening to my Ipod. My eyes were gently closed while I felt the cool wind brushing against my face. I breathed out deeply; I was free again. Free from those who chained and locked me inside a cage made out of despair. I was alone again, like usual; well, I asked myself, have I ever been…not alone in my life? –I’m not sure. 

 

          Jonghyun and that girl weren’t with me today; they were inside their classrooms, having class of course; but as for me, I ditched. I’ve always wanted to know how it feels like being a bad student, so yeah, I’m trying it now. Pft, nah. The real reason was actually because I wanted to clear my head from something, and I thought this was the best way to do so. 

 

          If you should leave, should you leave me?

          How could I let you leave?

 

           “I’d be scared.”I began singing along, when I heard those lines. Those were the best two lines to describe how I felt at the moment. Yes, I was scared to be alone again; that’s why I gave up my own happiness, in exchange for the warmth of a ‘family’—but now, I’m in doubt. Is this really warmth I’m feeling or is it just the cold breeze nipping at my numb heart?
 

 

           Incoherence passed through my head phones. I couldn’t understand the lyrics anymore, as I felt my eyes grew heavy. And before I knew it, I’ve already sank deep into another dream—actually, it wasn’t a dream, but rather a memory; a special one.
 

--
 

          Cold sweat formed like bubbles on my forehead. My heart was racing wildly and my face was bright red from blushing too much; I was nervous. How can I not be nervous, when she was just across the table, staring at me intently as if I was her prey? I was writing the lyrics of my new song, when she sat down in front of me and offered herself to help; and of course, I coldly said “no”—because she would only distract me by making my heart pound hard. Instead of moving away, she pouted and shifted on her seat, so her face would be closer to mine. –so yeah, it made everything worse.
 

          “Stop staring. I can’t concentrate, babo,” I told her in a low voice, hoping she would back off.
 

          She was a stubborn girl, so she didn’t move from her seat; didn’t even dare standing up. She furrowed her eyebrows and asked me why I didn’t want her there.
 

          "Because you distract me,” I bowed my head slightly, trying my hardest to cover my flushing cheeks with my bangs. I didn’t mind it if I had to act cold towards her that time; I just had to make her leave, because I couldn’t hold back myself anymore. She was too adorable. Sheesh. Seriously, this girl is too careless. Hey, I’m a guy, too, you know. Any minute longer and I might pounce on her. Dang, why did she have to be this cute?
 

          Seconds after those words stumbled pass my lips, she stood up from her seat and walked away, leaving me inside the club room, alone. She didn’t say a word to me, but I swear I heard her grunt in irritation. I slapped myself hard, got to my feet and dashed out of the room to follow her.
 

          It took me about half an hour before Minho, her classmate, told me that Gwiboon was on the rooftop. I didn’t hesitate and ran as fast as I could, hoping she was still there.  I had to apologize for my behavior earlier. I almost tripped while running up the stairway, but I didn’t care and kept my pace.
 

          When I reached the rooftop, I saw her sitting there alone, looking at the sky. Her eyes showed sadness, but no tear fell from those chocolate orbs. I knew she was aware that I was there, but still preferred to ignore me.
 

          I made my way to her side and sat down, “Hey.”
 

          But she didn’t respond, and kept staring at the heavens. I knew she was still mad about what happened. Well, who wouldn’t be? After all, she was just trying to help; I shouldn’t have been too harsh.
 

          I let out a long sigh, “Sorry.” She didn’t respond, as if waiting for me to continue. “I know I was wrong to have acted that way. You were just trying to help me, but I acted like a jerk. So, ugh, I-I’m sorry.”  There was silence between us for about 5 minutes, until she finally spoke.
 

          “Nah, it’s fine. I was the annoying one. I don’t blame you. But yes, you WERE a jerk back there,” she said in a cold tone, still not looking at me. I felt my body shiver from her words. It wasn’t the usual Gwiboon I knew; this time, her words brimmed with toughness and taciturnity. Dang, she’s mad alright. I sighed deeply, and then tilted my head to face her; she shifted her head and glanced back at me, her eyes were still emotionless. But instead of backing off, I giggled and smiled at her. Then slowly, I rested my arms around her shoulders and hugged her tight.
 

          I felt her body flinch a little; but she didn’t move away and just pouted stubbornly.
 

          “Yah! I said I’m sorry. No need to sulk.” I started poking her fluffy cheeks. “Being like this, just doesn’t suit you, you know. I likethe cute Gwiboon better.”
 

          After I said that last line, she slowly lowered her head and mumbled something. “Why? D-do... mmffyou... like mmff…c—" Her words were muffled by my tight embrace, so I couldn’t understand her. I broke the hug to let her speak more clearly, with my hands still on her shoulders, “What did you say?” I looked straight at her, but she riveted her eyes to her right, trying to avoid having eye contact with me. Did my eyes deceive me, or was she really blushing?
 

          “I said…” She shyly mouthed the words which made my heartbeat race to 100 beats per minute, “I-is it because you prefer cute… and crybaby girls?”
 

          She bit on her lip and soon her cheeks were rosy red, as if she had been drinking soju. As for me, I couldn’t believe what I just heard; but, I felt my lips slowly curve into a smile, and my hands slowly slid off her shoulders and ran to cover my flushing face. I knew what she meant, but my mind was in still in shock, so my lips stuttered a hesitant “M-m-mworago?”
 

          “How can you be so dense? I’m saying… I LIKE YOU, babo!

 

          That moment, I felt like I was one of the happiest guys on Earth; except for the “babo” part, though. The person I love telling me she likes me, before I even got to confess my feelings to her. I felt my smile grew into a grin, and the last thing I know, I found myself laughing. I didn’t know why though. There was nothing funny; nothing to laugh at. I was just so happy that I laughed; instead of crying tears of joy. That day was certainly the best one I’ve had ‘til then. I couldn’t remember how long I was laughing like that; all I could just remember was how warm my hand felt, while I was holding onto hers, as we went home later that day; with our fingers entwined.

--

Author's Note: I decided to make a double update. But I shall post the other part later. :) Kekeke. ^^;;;;