When a Nerd falls for a Jock

When a Nerd falls for a Jock...
Chapter 18
 
 
The adjustments Jinki talked about earlier included a lot of smiling. 
 
Minho tries to explain, looking quite out of place, how people will find it strange if he all of a sudden started smiling a lot. He has never been to Apollo's boarding house before. It's definitely a lot quieter here compared to the other two boardings. 
 
"Life would be less stressful if you smiled more.You don't have to always keep your face tight to look cool.", Taemin tells him when Jinki opens their room's door. 
 
Minho frowns at him, unimpressed. 
 
"That's just how I am.", he doesn't get inside the room, now beginning to have second thoughts about whether all of this was a good idea, "I'm not about to change how I act in public just because I agreed to hang out with you."
 
Taemin scoffs at him and inches closer, mouth open and ready to snap insults. 
 
"You dumb, frog-faced freak", it's an amazing start but Jinki quickly comes to his side to shut him up with a hand over his mouth and rudely pulls him back.  
 
"What he's trying to say is,", he says forcing out a smile at Minho and struggling to hold back a ready-to-pounce Taemin by the hips, "that- that you need to express your emotions more. Rather than holding it all in."
 
Minho looks at him and slowly nods once before entering the room, his steps hesitating. Jinki tries his best to make his smile as welcoming as possible.   
 
People always watch them with surprise and jealousy when Minho is with them. Well, with jealousy mostly. It makes Jinki uncomfortable but Teamin likes the attention, so he doesn't comment on it. 
 
Over the days, there is a decrease in the frequency of protests coming from Taemin, mainly because he finds out that they can have peaceful lunch in the canteen when Minho is beside them. Jonghyun would spare a few hateful glares at them when he thinks Jinki isn't looking but that's about it. He never actually approach them. Taemin picks up on this quickly, using it to his and Jinki's advantage and taking Minho to everywhere they go without any complains. Jinki knows it's his own way of challenging Jonghyun, because he purposefully chooses to be best of friends with Minho whenever Jonghyun is anywhere near by. 
 
Jinki wonders how Minho feels about it. It has to be very much like being used, he figures. He wishes he could tell Minho it's not like that, that he genuinely see him as a friend, but in the end, he can't seem to see the difference it would make. 
 
Minho keeps quiet most of the time, looking unsure about talking to anyone who is not Jinki or Taemin. Heechul seems to be the most enthusiastic about talking to Minho, despite his previous advice to Jinki and Taemin to ignore his existence. Minho would only nod or ignore him completely, only concentrating on eating his food. He also looks at Jonghyun from time to time, but his looks are more concerned and hopeful than anything. Key is never seen anywhere. 
 
Jinki thinks he may know how Minho feels right now. In his time of depression, when that one thing happened which caused cracks on his and Taemin's friendship, he had felt like that too. But Jinki and Taemin were quick to apologise and make up, which was not Minho's case. 
 
So he thinks about the good things instead. Minho seemed happy and grateful that someone was there to keep him company. That to Jinki, was enough. 
 
                                ****************
 
In their next club meeting Junsu tells everyone what they are going to be doing at the Festival. 
 
"How does a solo performance sounds to you?"
 
"No, no!", Jinki says, hands held up and waving frantically," It's fine, I'm fine! It's a little, err... too sudden for me.", he explains and flounders around a little more.
 
Junsu remains stern. 
 
"Everyone starts from somewhere, Jinki. I feel like you're ready and I'm not giving you a choice on this."
 
And this is how he ends up being in the practice studio after school every day of the week. By now, singing has already become a part of Jinki. He does not need people telling him that he has a good voice or he was born to sing. He knew he has it in him. But he just never thought he'd be told to perform in front of a live audience this quickly.
 
Kyuhyun chooses a song for him, Forever More by James Ingram. He makes Jinki listen to it until he became familiar with the tune, lyrics and pronunciation. Jinki practices it as often as he can, but every time he feels like it isn't good enough and the occasional voice cracks does nothing to increase his self esteem.  
 
Taemin gets bored easily when he is in their room waiting for Jinki to come back. So he goes straight to the Hermes boarding from his dance club and waits in Minho's room until Jinki finishes his practice. He reasons that he only goes there because he is good friends with Lee Joon, Minho's room mate, when in reality Taemin hasn't even got a chance to say hello to Joon since he never really seem to stay in the room. 
 
There is this one time when Jinki finds both of them engaged in a serious marshmallow eating contest. When Taemin is well-known to be a food maniac, Minho would go to any extent to win a competition. Jinki doesn't know whether to laugh or cry when Taemin's gag reflex kicks in and he ends up spluttering everything through his mouth, some bits that flew out coming to stick on the tip of his nose perfectly. He decides to go with laughing because Minho and Taemin are laughing too and he feels like he could say his life is almost perfect at the moment. 
 
But obviously, it wasn't going to last very long. 
 
Usually, the Academy will be completely empty after all the club activities are finished. Some people will linger around the corridors until the guards came and kicked them out of the building. Jinki has never come across any students when he returns to his room after practicing. Which is why he gets curious when he hears muffled talking from one of the classrooms he happened to pass by one evening. 
 
He gets inside slowly and sees two students, both of them wearing blazers of house Adonis. He could only see one of their faces since the other has his back turned and it really was dark in there. It's only after the door shuts behind him with a loud thud does he realise that he forgot to hold it open. 
 
The boy whose face Jinki could see, the one he recognised as Dongwoon, stops talking abruptly. 
 
Jinki's first instinct is to open the door and run. But his body acts before his mind could catch up and he ends up rapidly crawling towards the table at the very back of the room to hide, breath held tight in his chest. 
 
After recovering from the effects of his own ultimate idiocy, he hears talking again. He peeks through the table legs but all he could see is two pairs of feet. 
 
"I know this is kind of soon but I'll give you time to think about it?" 
 
This voice is all too familiar to Jinki to be mistaken as someone else. It only belonged to one person he knew. Kim Kibum.
 
"I'm flattered Key. I really am honestly. But. I don't feel that way about boys."
 
Oh.  
 
Even Jinki can feel the pity that Dongwoon was offering. But there was also something else in his voice. There was also a hint of fear.
 
Jinki ignores how he really shouldn't be here, eavesdropping when someone was making a love confession, and especially when this someone was Key. But he's only human. Curiosity was getting the better of him and he strains forward as much as he can until his neck makes a loud crack, but sighing in satisfaction when he finally gets a better view. 
 
"You wouldn't know unless you've been with one.", to say the least, Jinki is startled at the vulnerability Key was showing.
 
Dongwoon was now getting irritated. 
 
"I can't! ", Dongwoon's voice wavers in the slightest and Jinki assumes that Key's gaze must be very piercing, pinning the other boy to the spot, "I mean, I just- I don't find them physically attractive alright?" Why don't you understand and leave me the  alone goes unsaid. 
 
Jinki thinks about what Dongwoon told Key. He understands what he is feeling, understands that it's weird to imagine himself with a boy doing things he should be doing with a girl. 
 
He thinks about Jonghyun and what he did to him and his stomach makes a painful twist. 
 
He has come to accept that the memories are almost impossible to get rid off. But before, it had been hard to deal with it all. It all came crashing back to him usually when he is . When he is taking a shower, he looked at his own body and he felt everything, his arms, his chest, his thighs, the small of his back. He remembered Jonghyun's hungry touches and threatening whispers against his skin, but what remained fresh in his mind was the pain of getting ripped apart. 
 
Sometimes he ended up vomiting. But if one thing kept him going, it was that Jonghyun didn't remember anything. 
 
Key is now advancing Dongwoon, who gulps hard and quickly takes several steps back, but Key's eyes are only sad. 
 
This, Jinki thinks, this is diffferent. There is affection involved. 
 
"Dongwoon.", and Key's voice is so soft and desperate and pleading as he reaches up to touch the other, who flinches away immediately. Whether it's because of fear or plain disgust, Jinki really doesn't know.   
 
"I'm sorry. I can't.", Dongwoon simply says, and turns away from Key, whose expression slowly starts changing.
 
"Wait!", he orders. 
 
Dongwoon stops and sighs, and if Jinki is not mistaken, he's rolling his eyes too. 
 
"Listen Key,", he turns again and this time he doesn't even try to hide the annoyance in his voice. 
 
He never gets to finish his sentence though because the moment he turns, Key grabs him by the blazer and shoves him against the wall, any trace of vulnerability he displayed before now completely gone from his face and tone. 
 
"If you dare to say this to anyone, I will be sure to give you a death experience full of indignity and pain."
 
Dongwoon nods his head fervently and leaves at once, Key's penetrating eyes following him until he disappears. Once the door is shut, Key falls on his knees, looking helpless and weak. He covers his face with both hands and Jinki watches with surprised eyes as he breaks down completely, quietly sobbing and shaking uncontrollably. 
 
Jinki's heart clenches. He feels helplessness wash over him. He thinks about what Taemin would have done if he was in Jinki's place. He would have probably recorded the whole thing and used it to blackmail Key. Then he remembers he wouldn't have anything to record with. They were not allowed to have phones, after all. Jinki tries to imagine how it would turn out if he did have a chance to do it, but no, that would be too heartless.
 
But this was Key, he reminds himself. Key, who was Jonghyun's best friend, who enjoyed tormenting him just as much as Jonghyun did. And let's not forget that the last time he tried to help someone, he had ended up losing his ity.  
 
He smiles bittterly while he listens to Key cry, and waits. 
 
After a while his bottom begins to feel sore. He shifts on the floor a few times, trying his best to do it quietly, but his head brutally meets the corner of the table he was hiding under and he lets out a choked cry of pain.  
 
Key's head snaps into his his direction. Jinki knows he is going to ge caught so he just waits for it to come until Key's hand pulls him up from the floor. 
 
His face turns pale. 
 
He releases Jinki for a moment and tries to hide his state of shock and embarrassment, but his trembling hands gives it all away. Key was scared. 
 
"I didn't see anything!", Jinki's voice is an octave higher when he speaks. And to top it off, it cracks miserably. 
 
Key's eyes are red with all the crying, but they still do not fail to be menacing when he glares at him.    
 
"You didn't see anything.", he simply states and gives a narrowed look, his voice is thick and hoarse. 
 
Jinki knows better than to lie, 
 
"I did but.", he explains , " I won't tell anyone.", he uses one of his incredibly shaking hands to awkwardly pat Key's shoulder two times in what he thinks is a consoling manner. " Okay ?" An unconvincing smile shortly follows. 
 
Key grabs a hold of his hand and twists it with force until a sequence of cracks are heard. Jinki painfully gasps, shutting his eyes tight. 
 
"Good.", Key says , voice dangerous, "Because if I found out that you did, it won't be Jonghyun who would make your life a living hell . It will be me."
 
Jinki wants to laugh at this because Jonghyun has already made his life a living hell. He can't imagine it getting any worse. But he doesn't say anything, in stead just watches Key's retreating back while rubbing his hand. 
 
Jinki felt nothing but sympathy towards Key. And that is the only reason that he decides not to say any of this to Taemin. 
 
Or to Minho, obviously. 
 
That night, Taemin stays mad at him for a long time, for being late. Jinki knows if Minho didn't mention it Taemin wouldn't have even noticed he was late, too immersed in one of Minho's comic books. No matter how many times Taemin denied it, it was obvious that he liked spending time with Minho. 
 
It eventually becomes a habit for them to stay in Minho's room until it's very late.  
 
It's during one of these times when Key pays Minho a visit for the first time after their break up. Jinki thinks he has never seen Minho this happy as he hugs Key and tells him he knew Key would come back. Key explains that he has made a deal with Jonghyun. He'd be spending all the school hours with him and the rest with Minho. 
 
Everything seems fine, but that is until Taemin decides to open his mouth. 
 
"Then what about the weekends?"
 
And this is when Key finally seem to realise that there are other people present in the room other than him and Minho. 
 
Minho quickly senses the thick tension hanging in the air. 
 
"Taemin's right. What about the weekends?", he comes to stand in front of Key before he could burn them into ashes using his eyes. 
 
"On weekends," Key says tearing off his gaze from the two standing behind Minho, "I'll just stay with Jonghyun. Since you have people to keep you company."
 
"C'mmon Key. Don't be like that."
 
Minho makes a second attempt to break the tension by introducing them to Key. As if he didn't know them already.
 
Key's look is so pointed and intense when it lands on Jinki and Jinki can't seem to look away. It's like Key was trying to have a mental conversation with him or something. He feels like a murder witness getting threatened by a serial killer. 
 
"We're leaving.", Taemin suddenly announces and breaks the contact, dragging Jinki along the way.
 
Minho offers them an apologetic look which Taemin scoffs off but Jinki accepts. 
 
"Goodnight. We'll see you tomorrow. ", he says and smiles because Minho always found Jinki's smiles reassuring. 
 
He looks at Key once more, who is still glaring at him. But Jinki sees through it and feels the mixture of embarrassment and annoyance coming from him. He can't help but smirk a little at Key, who looks shocked but tries to hide it by looking away.  
 
Taemin keeps muttering about Minho's ungratefulness, all while stuffing the comic that he nicked from Minho safely into his bag. Jinki is only half-listening. 
 
He distantly wonders if Jonghyun had a vulnerable side to him too, and the thought of imagining Jonghyun frail and defenseless brought him more satisfaction than ever. 
 
 
 
A/N : Urm, this is soooo not related to kpop. So like, you can totally skip this if you want. (BUT PLEASE DOOOON'T! *pleading eyes*)
 
My life is very depressing at the moment because one of my favourite TV shows season finale just ended last week and I don't really know what to do with my life anymore. T.T It was like, the only ever TV show that I got totally obsesssed over. But omg guys, guys, you seriously have to watch this show. It's funny and addictive and oh and let me warn you, there's some serious bromance going on between the two main characters. (my only OTP outside of kpop omg! *.*)
 
So their OTP name is Merthur. (Merlin+Arhur) Arthur is the prince/later king of Camelot and Merlin is his manservant and they are in loove *O*
 
Let me introduce them. 
 
 
 
 
(it's love okay.)
 
The show is called Merlin (BBC).  Please check it out! You won't regret it, I promise.
 
And I'm sorry for shamelessly promoting my non-kpop OTP on a kpop site but I really want the whole world to know how much they love each other. I JUST HAVE A LOT OF FEELINGS OKAY.
 
 
Sorry.
 
Now I will go back to mourning. *gross sobbing*