2

The Last Moment

Two months ago

“! My face is ugly! Turn that off!" Sungjong face palmed his face after he watched the video tape taken by our class representative, My classmates burst into laughter towards his funny reaction. I shook my head and resume back the video playing on the computer.

It was a very calm Monday afternoon. Class 3-2, my classmates had gathered inside the classroom to monitor the footage of the video tape taken early this year.

Before the graduation ceremony comes, those who already filled up the form what college they are aiming for after high school would be responsible for our farewell class party.

“We should film another one for our graduation party!" One of my classmates suggested. Our class representative, Woohyun rubbed his chin in consideration.

“Nice idea! We have to do our best on this one or else none of you guys will appear in our video.” Woohyun thoughtfully said.

“Yah! Look at this!” I, as the vice president pointed at the screen. I was always the one who is an observant in our class.

“Why?” Woohyun scooted next to me.

“Look, at how this video was recorded... It looked so satisfying and artistic at the same time." I said as my eyes glistened over how neatly the video footage was recorded. It did take my breath away. The editing, timing and transition of the video amazed us.

“Everyone was in there including you class rep!" They exclaimed.

Throughout the video, I noticed everyone had a good time together. No bad scenes at all. I nodded my head, already figuring out who was the person behind these. “I think I know who recorded all of these,” I quickly dug into mybackpack and took out the attendance record.

“Ahh! Kim Myungsoo?”

Everyone reacted towards the name, some cringed and the girls squealed. I really want to see that person who recorded this masterpiece. My eyes darted to the guy who sat in the corner of the class.

He blew his bangs away, collected his things and stood up from the seat.

Myungsoo was always the quiet student. He often come late to class or didn't attend class at all. He hardly even talked with anyone in our class.

Sometimes I wondered if he even existed.

But judging the way how he likes to be alone I’d never mind him at all.

The last bell rang and everyone hurried back to original seats. They packed up their things and bid goodbyes to each other. I sighed and braced myself to take a step forward. I felt weird all of the sudden. What if he runs away if I call his name?

“Kim Myungsoo?”

I was literally taken aback when he halted and turned around to my direction. My gazed shrank immediately the moment he stared intensely on me.

“Are you the one who recorded the scenes during the Sports Day?”

“Yeah?”

I should be afraid of him and yet I’m showing my weakness that I usually didn’t show when I meet someone new.

“We have decided to film another video for our graduation day. Do you mind to join us?”

 

 

“Sorry. I'm not familiar with these things.”

What? Did I hear him wrong?

“No-no!” I swallowed the lump in my throat. I don’t have any ideas to convince him!

“Why?” 

I bit my lips.

I really thought the person who behind all of the scenes was someone who cherished this class. Every single of us were include. Every moments of happiness were captured and it gave out the warm vibe to everyone who watches it.

One who didn’t even associate with this kind of things wouldn’t create such a masterpiece like this.

“I have to go now.” He started to walk away.

“Wait! Please join our meeting first after this!” I plead. He looked like he didn't care at all.

“It will start today at 3pm in our class! Come if you are interested!" I reminded and hopefully he caught that.

*

“What were you thinking Nana?! Myungsoo isn’t the type of person who mingles with people very well, you know.” Woohyun wistfully expressed his concern over my decision on inviting Myungsoo to join this.

“But... I did confront him and told him to come here at 3pm! See! He will come. I bet that." I didn’t have any other choices, right?

He shook his head and sighed. 

“I don't know Nana. I should go for my soccer practice right now. See you later." He slung his bag around his neck and left the class instantly that left me with Sungkyu, Dongwoo and Minah.

“Sorry Nana-ah, we have soccer practice too.”

“I have... date." Minah nervously laughed. I watched them sadly as they exited the classroom one by one. The clock showed 3:15pm and there’s no sign of Myungsoo.

“Well, I should get going too...” I reached for my backpack when that moment, my eyes widened in surprised to see Myungsoo at the doorstep.

“You came!" 

“No. I came here because I left my history book.”

I pouted, sighing again for the third time of the day while assorting my books into my backpack. 

“Where are your friends?” He asked. 

“They got plans today so we can't do the meeting. We thought about using the parts you filmed last time. I highly doubt it will turn out to be great!" I begin to mutter out loud about the favourite part of the scenes as much as I remembered.  

“I love how you record the audience cheering on the participants who took part in the Sport Day last summer. You focused all of them actually.”

The awkward atmosphere suddenly creeps in. I talked too much that I didn’t know he was standing across my desk for a while now. I sheepishly rubbed my neck, “Did I talk to much?” What a stupid question but I’m just asking for confirmation.

“I’m sorry. I’m always like this but I really think the video was excellent! It was such a masterpiece!” I continued on.

“You were so observant...” I murmured the last sentence. Myungsoo was softly gazing at me before breaking into a smile.

 

 

“I don't think so. Everyone have different personalities, don't you too? You cheered out the most on our classmates during the Sport Day. Everyone looked energize because of you. You were so excited at that time I couldn’t help but to film it.”

 

 

My mouth went agape as soon as I heard that honest statement from him. He really did talk well, doesn’t he? My cheeks started to heat up and my inside was suddenly filled with joy. As much as I thought the first impression I always had on him made me realize he wasn’t that bad after all.

“T-thanks!”

I faced him straight in the eyes and he also did the same.

“Anyway, I was just wondering about the plans.. what can I do about it?”

I stared at him for a long time. Should be this okay, to him as well? I never talk to him before. I never thought of getting closer with someone who I never even talk from the beginning of freshmen year. I talked with almost of all my classmates but not him.

 

And the next day,

I introduced him as our Technical Director in front of my team members. Woohyun was quite amazed at how I managed to persuade him to join us.

 

As for me, I can’t wait to see how it will turn out.

 

 

 

----