Stand up when you fall down

Korean Gokusen - The Flower Boys of 3-D

Hana was walking down the streets, on her way to school. The morning sun was shining brightly down on the pavement she was walking on, making a small smile appear across her face. For some reason she was all energized and was looking forward to seeing the rest of the class.

As Hana reached the classroom, she could already hear the loudness of her classmates that had already arrived. She smiled to herself, she was beginning to like coming to school despite all the noise the boys made and their rowdiness. As Hana entered the classroom, she greeted the students and they who were not too busy with something else, greeted her back. As she came to her seat, her closest friends soon surrounded her. Hong Ki and Joon was already in deep conversation, but both greeted her with a smile before continuing their discussion. Young Kwang gave an acknowledging nod as a greeting before he continued reading the book he had in his hands.

“Mornin’ ” Ji Hoon said energetically as he sat down on Hana’s table smiling.

“Good Morning!” Jong Suk said with a small wink. Hana smiled to them.

“Good morning.” She greeted back to them before looking towards Woo Bin’s desk, which was currently empty. “Woo Bin isn’t coming to school today?” Hana asked Jong Suk and Ji Hoon curiously.

“Either he is late, or he’s probably napping somewhere.” Ji Hoon answered while Jong Suk nodded agreeing. Before anything else could be said, Haneul entered the classroom and ordered everyone to sit down in their own seats and be quiet, which most, of course, didn’t listen to. Just as Haneul was about to make an attendance check, Woo Bin walked into the classroom.

“You’re late Woo Bin.” Haneul said annoyed but Woo Bin didn’t really pay attention to her and just went to his seat and sat down before he rested his head on the desk and went to sleep. As Haneul got no response from Woo Bin, she just decided to get on with what she was doing. After the attendance call, she turned her back to the class and wrote down mathematic equations on the blackboard, while talking about how to solve the equations. As usual, most of the student’s weren’t paying any attention to what she was saying and just chatted amongst themselves.

At the lunch break, Hana, and the gang went to the school roof to have their lunch in peace and to chat. It had become their ritual to go to the school roof to eat their lunch. As they all sat in a circle in the middle of the roof, Joon sighed earning a look from everyone.

“Everything okay?” Young Kwang asked. Joon looked at him and then smiled.

“I just hope that annoying teacher of ours doesn’t come and disturb us again.” Joon answered making everyone laugh.

“You are right; she seems to find it funny to pester us all.” Hong Ki said laughing. “Especially during our lunch break.” He continued.

”Who likes to pester you?” An innocent looking Haneul asked right behind Hong Ki, giving the poor guy a jump scare.

“Talk about the devil…” Hana stated as she ate her lunchbox.

“Who’s the devil?” Haneul continued with a confused face, making the group of friends laugh. Since Haneul didn’t get any answers she decided to forget it and move on – it was probably some inside joke anyway.

“So Ji Hyuk, does Officer Kang have a girlfriend?” Haneul suddenly asked overly excited to Hana.

“No…” Hana answered shortly making Haneul squeal in delight by the news.

“He has a wife…” Hana continued making the boys laugh at Haneul’s sad face. “Though she died a couple of years ago when she gave birth to my niece…” Hana then continued making everyone silent.

The hours slowly ticked by until school hours was finally over. The minute the bell had rung signaling the end of school; Hong Ki had already left the classroom. Joon tried to catch up, but was too slow.

“Why was he on fire?” Joon asked confused. Since no one knew, no one answered. They just figured he might have a date and didn’t want to others to see the girl.

As Hana entered the apartment, she silently went to her room and threw herself on the bed. Somehow she was exhausted. It didn’t last long before Hana fell asleep on her bed.

“Hana…dinner…” Sarang said while poking Hana on her cheek to wake the sleeping teenager. Hana slowly opened her eyes and smiled when she was Sarang. “Dinner.” Sarang said again smiling. The two girls left the room together and went to the kitchen to eat.

While eating Hana noticed a small photo of Ji Hwan’s wife Kang Mi Yoon. Somehow, the picture seemed familiar. Hana didn’t want to ask Ji Hwan any annoying questions so decided to ignore her feeling of familiarity.

The next morning Hana woke by the sound of her phone ringing. Still tired she answered her phone in an annoyed state.

“Hello?” Hana asked.

“Hong Ki is in trouble!” A distressed Joon answered on the phone. Hana blinked a couple of times in confusion.

“What happened?” Hana then answered.

“We don’t know. Police are currently questioning him. Seems like your brother is one of the people questioning him.” Joon answered in a hurried voice. “Come quickly.” Then he abruptly ended the phone call.

Hana jumped out of bed and hurried to get ready to leave the house. It didn’t take her more than 10 minutes to be ready. She quickly checked the house to see if Sarang was still at home, which she wasn’t. Hana locked the door and ran to the school.

As she arrived the others, beside Hong Ki, was waiting for her at the entrance. Together they went for the teacher’s lounge in hope their homeroom teacher could help them shed some light at the situation.

Just as they arrived at the teacher’s lounge Ji Hwan stepped out of the room together with Haneul.

“Hyung, what happened to Hong Ki?” Hana asked as she approached Ji Hwan. Ji Hwan looked at her apologetic.

“I am sorry, but I am unable to answer the question.” Ji Hwan answered with a sad face.

“Why?” Hana asked confused.

“He won’t tell me or anyone else what happened. All we know is that he hit a man who is now saying he want to press charges.” Ji Hwan answers.

The guys looked at each other.

“What is going to happen to him?” Woo Bin asked after a couple of minutes of silence.

“Well if we don’t know what happened from the beginning we might not be able to help him, and the man will press charges. Which will most likely result in him being expelled.” Ji Hwan answered sighing.

“Can I try to talk to him alone?” Hana then suddenly asked looking with pleading eyes at Ji Hwan.

“I…” Ji Hwan couldn’t take the puppy eyes that Hana gave him so ended up giving his consent. “Sure…” Hana smiled triumphantly and hurried into the teacher’s lounge with Ji Hwan.

Shortly after all the other teachers and Officer Kim Jaejoong stepped out of the room, to give space to Hana and Hong Ki. Due to rules, Ji Hwan had to stay with them but had situated himself in the other end of the room.

“This is outrageous!...To get thrown out of my own office!” The vice principal said in an annoyed tone.

“Hong Ki what happened?” Hana asked as she sat down in front of Hong Ki. He didn’t answer.

“If you don’t tell me you will risk being expelled and prosecuted.” Hana continued, yet Hong Ki still didn’t react.

Hana sighed and stayed silent for some minutes thinking about what to say next. Suddenly Hana remembered something Hong Ki had talked about a couple of days ago.

“Has it something to do with your dream?” Hana then asked which finally got an reaction out of Hong Ki.

“How..” Hong Ki muttered just loud enough that Hana could hear it.

“You want to become a musician right?” Hana then asked with a small smile.

“Yeah…” Hong Ki replied still not saying much.

“That man said something about your dream right?” Hana continued to question her friend.

“Kind of…”

“Kind of? He tricked you?” Hana asked which made Hong Ki look at her. It was clear to her how hurt and sad he was. She had hit right on. “Can’t you tell me what happened?” Hong Ki sighed and then nodded.

“The other day I was contacted by the man while playing on my guitar at the park. He said he was a talent scout and asked me for a demo, which I gave him. Yesterday he said he could make me debut if I payed him 5 million kwon. I stole the money from my mothers savings, trusting the man. Then this morning I accidentally overheard the man and someone else talk where he said that he had tricked me into giving him a lot of money and that someone like me could never become anything.” Hong Ki finally finished his story.

“And that is when you hit him?” Ji Hwan suddenly cut in. His voice wasn’t angry but compassionate. Hong Ki nodded. Ji Hwan smiled in encouragement. “Will you write an testimony? Then I will talk to the man and get your money back.” Ji Hwan then asked.

Hong Ki looked up at Ji Hwan in shock. He wasn’t used to getting trusted by adults.

“Will you?” Hana asked after a minute where Hong Ki still hadn’t answered. Suddenly Hong Ki smiled.

“Yes, I want to get my mothers money back and put all this behind me…”

Suddenly the door burst open and a very emotional Haneul came in followed by the rest of the group.

“I knew you had a good reason!” Haneul said as she embraced Hong Ki, who was trying his best to get out of her embrace. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

So sorry for the long wait for an update! >.<