There is a reason behind all choices!

Korean Gokusen - The Flower Boys of 3-D

Joon was busy at work. He had finally found a job that had a high pay – a bar in the Gangnam area. For the last two weeks, he had been hard at work each evening and night.

He was occupied lifting some boxes with alcohol from the alley into the bar, when he in the corner of his eyes saw a familiar figure. He quickly hid behind a wall and looked at the familiar face standing in the distance. What was Ji Hyuk during in the expensive part of town on a Sunday in the early morning?

Hana woke with a jolt. She had had another nightmare of the fateful day her parents had been murdered. Ever since she had found out her teacher was a part of the mafia two days ago, she had been having the same nightmare every time she tried to sleep. She could feel the sweat on her forehead. She looked at her phone to see the time. The phone showed the clock to be 5:08 AM. Hana decided to just go take a shower and start the day since she feared that she couldn’t fall asleep again anyway.

Ji Hwan and Sarang was still asleep so Hana decided to go to the convenience store and buy some early breakfast instead of just being bored in her room. The clock was 5:45 AM when she left the apartment.

As Hana exited the convenience store, she felt someone looking at her. A little nervous she started looking around but couldn’t spot anyone. She shrugged it off and sat at the table outside the convenience store to eat her pork buns. After a couple of bites, she felt like someone was looking at her again, and instinctively turned to look behind her. For a second, she saw someone hide behind a corner to a building. She stood up and looked closer. It wasn’t someone she knew, yet something by the person made her very nervous.

Hana saw the shadow of the person look at her and then start running away as they saw she had seen them. She decided to pursue. Following the strange person, she stayed out of sight whenever the person would look behind them. They had stopped running and was now walking at a more leisurely pace. After following the person for about an hour, Hana saw the person enter onto a street in Gangnam full of popular high-class bars. As Hana followed the person down the street, she saw them enter one of the bars. As she came closer to the bar, she felt a bit intimidated by the feeling the bar was emanating. That’s when she noticed two other people entering the bar who showed clear signs of being gangsters. Hana’s body by instinct shivered. She had to leave before they saw her.

She returned home to the apartment around 7 AM. Ji Hwan and Sarang was still not up, so she just silently went to her room and locked the door after. She had to be alone. The person she had followed had clearly watched her, but why? Was her cover blown? Had they found her? What if it was their teacher HaNeul, who had said something to the mafia? Hana’s mind was full of questions making her exhausted. Tears started to run down her cheeks.

The rest of the day Hana kept to her room, and when she was with Sarang and Ji Hwan she didn’t say much. Ji Hwan looked at her a bit worried but decided not to say anything. It was most likely just typical teenage behavior anyway.

The next morning when Ji Hwan awoke, he saw that Hana still wasn’t up. He knocked on her door but there was no response.

“Hana? Are you there? Are you ok?” Ji Hwan asked hoping to get an answer. The silence lasted a couple of minutes before Hana finally answered.

“Sorry I don’t feel well. Can I stay home today?”

“…Ok.” Ji Hwan said with a small sigh. He silently went to the kitchen to make some breakfast. He decided to make some soup for Hana in case she became hungry through the day.

Joon arrived at the school at the same time with the rest of the guys.

“Good morning” Joon said with a smile to his friends who greeted him back.

“Been working the whole weekend?” Hong Ki asked in a low voice, so other students wouldn’t hear him.

“Yeah. Need to work in order to save up money.” Joon answered back while massaging his shoulder.

“Seen Ji Hyuk?” Ji Hoon asked the others looking around. “He usually arrives at the same time as us.” He continued.

“No, maybe he is late?” Young Kwang answered not lifting his eyes from the book he was reading.

“You know. I saw Ji Hyuk yesterday morning while I was closing up the bar. He was acting all strange like if he was following someone. But then suddenly he ran in the other direction.” Joon said after some thought. The others looked at him.

“Like if he was following someone?” WooBin asked with interest. Joon just nodded but didn’t elaborate. It was also at this moment their teacher decided to give them a jump scare by suddenly showing up amidst them yelling good morning. The guys looked at her with exasperated looks, was they never going to get rid of her?

“What were you talking about just now?” HaNeul asked with a big smile. She was obviously in a good mood.

“Doesn’t matter. Why are you so happy today?” Jong Suk answered.

“Hehe. Officer Kang called me this morning!” HaNeul said with a big gleam in her eyes.

“Why?” Jong Suk continued.

“He told be Ji Hyuk was sick, so he wouldn’t be coming today. And then he asked if I was doing well. He is such a gentleman.” HaNeul said all dreamy. All the guys sighed. WooBin walked in the background shaking his head in defeat. Their teacher acted like she was a middle schooler.

The group was suddenly stopped by a very angry vice principal.

“Good morning!” HaNeul said with a big smile, clearly not detecting the vice principals foul mood.

“Enough!” The vice principal said in a sharp voice. He then looking disapprovingly at Joon. “Come with me to the teachers lounge!” He said to Joon in a demanding voice. Joon looked at him with annoyance.

“Why?” Joon asked glaring at the vice principal. The vice principal sneered at him.

“You violated school rules and will have to take the punishment for it!” The vice principal answered.

“Broke the school rules? My student? Of course, he hasn’t.” HaNeul suddenly said walking to stand in between the vice principal and Joon. The vice principal turned his glare on HaNeul clearly annoyed at her intrusion.

“Some teachers saw Joon working a bar this weekend.” The vice principal answered. Joon cussed under his breath.

“How can you accuse my cute student just like that!? Do you have evidence?” HaNeul continued in defense of her precious student.

“As a matter of fact, I have.” The vice principal said becoming more and more annoyed by HaNeul. He then showed a picture printed on paper, showing Joon working as a bartender. The photo had a time stamp in the corner, showing Saturday 3 AM. HaNeul looked at it and then looked at Joon who avoided eye contact with her.

“I am sure there must be a reason behind him working there?” HaNeul said still looking at her student.

“Enough. Follow me this instant or I will expel you immediately.” The vice principal said with a sneer at Joon and Haneul. They silently followed him to the teachers lounge.

The other guys left behind nervously looked at each other.

“They better not expel him. There is only about a month left till we graduate.” Hong Ki said nervously.

“I am sure HaNeul will do her best for it not to happen.” WooBin answered before starting to walk in the direction that the vice principal, HaNeul and Joon went. The other guys followed him.

“Never matter the reason why you decided something so stupid at work despite it being a violation to school rules. I ought to expel you.” The vice principal said with an icy voice as they where standing in the teachers lounge. HaNeul nervously shook her head in disagreement.

“Surely if the student has a good reason you will not suspend them!” HaNeul said in a desperate attempt to rescue her student. Joon was standing still not saying anything. He was annoyed that he had been found out.

“He clearly has no good reason, seeing as he just standing there looking stupid.” The vice principal said as he saw down behind his desk. Joon glared at him.

“You can’t just call my precious and cute student for stupid!” HaNeul protested. Suddenly Joon’s mother burst into the room with tears in her eyes.

“I am so sorry for being late, and for my son to cause trouble!” Joon’s mother said with an apologetic bow to the vice principal. “But please don’t expel my son.” She continued.

“I feel sorry for you. Your son does not even seem to understand what he has done wrong and thus refuses to apologize.” The vice principal said looking at Joon’s mother.

“Please don’t expel him. I will do anything for you not to expel. I promise to make him stop working!” Joon’s mother continued in desperation. “Had I known he was working I would have punished him immediately.” Joon’s mother said with another bow.

“Mom don’t-“ Joon started but was cut off by his mothers tearful yet angry glare. She dared him to speak again. He knew his mother wasn’t fun to deal with when she was angry, so he stopped talking.

“You will stop working immediately and concentrate on your studies so you can graduate high school!” His mother said still glaring at him. Joon grew frustrated.

“I will not. You work all day and for little pay! If I don’t work as well, we will continue to live as poor people!” Joon suddenly burst out in his frustration silencing everyone in his room. As his eyes met his mother, he suddenly felt guilty. His mother was really angry now, so angry that before Joon could react his mother slapped him hard.

“I don’t work for you to not finish school, I work so that you can finish high school and have a shot at a better future!” Joon’s mother said with anger. HaNeul looked on with shock.

“You should listen to your mother. You will have no future if you do not graduate high school.” The vice principal said with a smirk earning him a hard glare from HaNeul.

“I am sure that Joon is sorry and will stop working and focusing on his studies. There is no need to expel or suspend him.” HaNeul said trying to cut the tension in the room. “Right Joon?” She looked at her student hoping he would agree.

“If I don’t work, mother will continue to work herself to death trying to earn enough for us to live!” Joon said with his fists closed and tears in his eyes. Joon’s mother softened at her son’s words.

“If you promise me you will stop working, I promise you that I will work less.” Joon’s mother said as she walked to her son giving him a hug.

“Mom…” Joon hugged his mom back.

“You don’t have to worry so much. I was actually promoted last week and will go down in time yet earn more…” Joon’s mother continued hugging her son a bit tighter.

“I will not expel or suspend you as long as you promise not to cause the school any trouble until you graduate.” The vice principal suddenly said though he seemed to not say it with full sincerity. Joon’s mother bowed to the vice principal showing her gratitude.

“Thank you so much. I promise he will not cause trouble anymore and that I will punish him when we get home. Thank you for not going further.” Joon’s mother said while bowing and making Joon bow as well. “Now Joon apologize to the vice principal.” His mother continued. Joon sighed and cursed to himself under his breath.

“…I am sorry for causing trouble and will repent.” Joon finally said in a low voice.