Day 5 (And a bit of 4)

15 Days

“Kyuhyun, if I were to tell you that I chose to die so soon. And that there’s actually a way to stop my tumor from spreading, but I chose not to. What would you say to me?” He smiled and look at me for a while, thinking for the perfect answer whilst tightening his grip on my hand.

His answer was far beyond what I’ve expected. With tears b in his eyes, he said, “I’ll say that you’re being selfish, that the only person you care about is yourself.”

But then he wiped away the tears that were started to fall from my eyes; tears, that have fallen without me realizing. “But then I’ll hold your hand tight, just like this, and beg you to stay. I’ll stay by your side, refusing to let go of your hand until you say you’ll stay,” he said with a small smile on his face, a smile that’s neither happy nor angry, but simply just sad.

“Enough with that. I need to rest now; we have a long day tomorrow. Push my wheelchair back to the room please?” Kyuhyun did as told, and I’m glad he didn’t insist on prolonging the conversation, for I’m not sure whether I’ll be able to keep this secret any longer if that were to happen.

I woke up the next morning, ready to face my fears, with only 10 days of my life left; I think it’s about time. The ride to my mom’s house was unusually silent, fear was apparent in our faces. Kyuhyun held my hand throughout the journey and though no words were spoken, messages of courage and assurance were conveyed.

Kyuhyun lift me and put me on the wheelchair, he wheeled me to the front door where my mom was waiting. She immediately hugged me, there was no more disgust or hatred; it was simply a moment of perfect happiness, free of judgments and filled with acceptance.

“I’m sorry,” we both said simultaneously.

“I’m sorry mom,” I said as I held her hand, refusing to let go, afraid that it might disappear and that this might be a mere dream.

“No my child, I’m sorry. It was my fault. You’re my son, I shouldn’t have been so selfish,”she said as she kissed my forehead.

“I should’ve told you earlier, it was my fault too,” I said as my mom wheeled me in the house, she just smiled and patted my back. Saying that it’s all in the past and that we should move on with our lives.

Everything was the same, except for one thing; my sister and father weren’t here. I asked my mom about them, but she just looked down and tried changing the topic.

“Kyuhyun, where’s my dad? I want to meet him, is he still angry? Mom, where’s dad?” I said, starting to feel scared. Everyone seemed to be avoiding my question, the fact that they’re avoiding my glances just confirmed my suspicions that there’s something they’re hiding from me.

“Kyuhyun! Mom! Tell me!” I shouted, almost pleadingly.

“Lunch is ready, let’s go eat. It might get cold,” my mom said with a smile on her face as she wheeled me to the dining room, Kyuhyun by her side.

“Aunt, I need to talk to you for a minute,” he said. My mom excused herself and went outside with Kyuhyun. I couldn’t hear them but I could see them through the window, my mom said something and started crying. Kyuhyun’s expression changed too and I think he was tearing up, but he quickly wiped away his tears and said something to my mother. They came back in after a while, laughing and talking about some Korean dramas, acting as though nothing had just happened.

“What’s wrong Kyuhyun?”

“Nothing, I just told your mom about the food you can’t eat now that you’re taking your medicines,” he said, still refusing to look at me.

“Stop lying, where is he?” I demanded. No one would answer, so I gathered all of my strength and stood up. I tried searching the house, but fell after barely 3 seconds of walking, or rather crawling.

Kyuhyun wanted to help me up, but I refused and demanded that he tells me the truth. Kyuhyun, who was crying before, wiped away his tears and forcefully pulled me up, carried me and put me back down on my wheelchair.

“Be strong and know that it is not your fault, okay,” he said, and I readily agreed. He held me hand tightly and gave my mom a nod, signaling that it’s okay to tell now.

“Your dad went looking for you the night I threw you out of the house. He told me that even if I wasn’t going to accept you, he would. He never came back that night; a car hit him. He’s been in a coma ever since, he calls out your name in his dreams, I would never forgive myself Ryeowook, if only I didn’t do what I did….” my mom said before breaking down in tears.

I resisted the urge to cry and instead went to my mom. I held her hand and told her that it’s going to be fine. She hugged me whilst continuing to cry, and so we remained that way for the next few minutes.

We decided to just enjoy our lunch and catch up with each other’s lives. Because problems will always be present, unlike happiness that rarely comes. So when it does, despite how small it is compared to the severity of the problem, it deserves to be celebrated.

A/N : Hello everyone, it's been a very long time since I last updated this story. I'm very thankful that there are still some people who continuously wait for me to update, it really means a lot, especially because I'm just an average writer who's story is somewhat repetitve (HEHEH, will try to change that :P ). I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter, I don't think this is one of my best piece of writing, and I'll try to do better next time. Btw, while I was proof reading it, my Itunes happpened to play David Choi's "This is a Way", and I think the song really suits the story and that listening to it while reading the story, gives the story more depth :P But maybe that's just me. HEHHE, wow, I really need to stop writing long author's note. Bye then :D