Chapter 4

The Loving Devil

Day after day, he would always spend most of his day at my house studying with me. After studying for more than three weeks, Jonghyun’s words got harder and harder to understand and my eyelids could no longer hold themselves up anymore. They got heavier and heavier by the second. I finally gave up fighting against it, so I let them take over my mind. Even though the sleepiness had taken over me, I still felt myself being carried up and put down onto my bed. I guess that was Jonghyun. Then, I felt his fingers tracing my cheekbones carefully. I knew I should stop him, but this felt strangely nice. After his touch, he started mumbling to himself. I could make some words out; some of the words were “can’t help it, stay away, love” and my own name. Listening to him talk calmed me down and then once again the drowsiness took over my mind and body.

 

           The next morning, after putting all his words together I felt very awkward when I was around him. I stopped before entering the class, wondering if I could face him like before. I sighed; there was no way I can hide from him forever. So I walked into the class, he was there already, sitting at the desk beside mine.

           “How did you sleep last night?” he whispered, moving his mouth so close to my ear that I could feel his breath.

           I leaned away from him, digging in my bag and tried to hide my face in my bag. Classes started and ended, with no words shared between us. I looked at the time, it was lunch time. As I got up with my money in my hands, Jonghyun grabbed my free hand and pulled me out of the class. He led me out to the fields where many couples were having lunches together.

           “Ow! Let go of me!” I tried to shake his strong hold off my hand. I staggered along the sidewalk around the field until we reached to a corner where there was no one around. Then he finally freed me.

           “Stop ignoring me like that! It’s making me crazy!” Jonghyun pushed me against the wall using his arm to form a cage around me, I was trapped, and there was no way of escaping. “Do you know how much it hurts not be able to talk to you at all? I’m not even allowed to look at you! Please stop,” he dropped his arms and turned around, but I could see he was trying to hide his red puffy eyes from me.

           I couldn’t resist myself but to hug him from the back, “I wasn’t ignoring you… I was just… Well…” I didn’t know how to confess about last night, I sighed, “Remember last night? When you carried me to my bed, I was sort of awake. So, I kind of heard what you said… And I just didn’t know how to face you anymore,” my voice got weaker and weaker and ended with a whisper.

           “So you heard,” he turned around and looked down at me, “Than do you have an answer for me?

I looked down, hesitated but nodded shyly. I could feel his arms embraced around me, so I hid my burning face in his chest and held him closer to me.

      We walked back to class with our hands held, everyone in the class stared at us when we walked in. I could hear people whispering but I did not care, because I was with him. When we sat down, I saw Yoora and Sooyun looking at us weirdly. I told Jonghyun that I needed to talk to them so I stood up and walked towards the two glowing pair of eyes.

“Spill it, now!” Sooyun and Yoora dragged me outside once I reached them.

So I explained everything to them, only hiding the part that I liked his touch on my face. They looked like they knew this would happen from the beginning of my story to the end.

“Hey! You there! Girls! Go to class, the bell rang already!” the teacher yelled at us.

The three of us ran back to class, when I sat down beside Jonghyun he looked at me and I could see a question mark on his face.

“I will explain later,” I mouthed.

As usual, the class flew by without me understanding anything. Although the exam was in two days, I wasn’t scared of it, since I had my personal tutor sitting next to me. I turned my head to look at him, I saw his eyes were locked to mine, I smiled.

“Would you like to go home now? After your long day dream,” he asked and smiled back.

           I nodded, and grabbed my bag and stood up, “Can you tutor me again? I need to catch up on today’s stuff, since I didn’t pay any attention in class, again,” I asked.

      “How about your house?”

“If you want to.”

           Studying was the only thing that happened through my whole weekend, nothing else. The grateful thing was Jonghyun stayed by me for the whole time. He didn’t give up because of my slow brain. When I walked into class that Monday, I had so much confidence in myself I almost finished the test in the first half hour.

           After being with him, my marks went up so much. It used to be a low C but now it was almost a high B. As for him, he was always a straight A student. I love to be around him, there was never any pressure on me. He would never do anything to hurt me and would always follow my will.  I knew he was the only one for me.

           “Eunae, are you free tonight?” he asked over the phone.

           “Tonight? I should be.”

           “Come over to my house, I want you to meet my parents,”

           “Your parents? Are you sure?” I was shocked, we had only been dating for a month and he wants me to meet his parents?

           “They would love to meet you, I promise,” he assured me

           I sighed, giving up on fighting against him. Unwillingly, I agreed.

           “I will pick you up at six.”

           After hanging up the phone, I walked into the washroom and the shower. I needed to get these knots in my hair to untangle. While drying my hair, I thought about the outfit that would suit for meeting his parents. After a long search, I finally found the perfect outfit. A nice white blouse with a pair of jeans, they should be fine. Then I heard my door bell rang, I ran to open it. I couldn’t wait to see him again, I had not seen him for the whole day. When I opened the door and saw him standing in front of me, I wrapped my arms around him and he did the same.

           “Are you ready?” he asked.

           “Can I say no?” I replied and he chuckled.

           During the ride, I asked many questions about his family. He explained everything I wanted to know. I knew if I wanted to have a good first impression, I would need to be perfect. I practiced saying hello to them in my mind for many times. When we got to his house, my heart was racing so fast I thought I would collapse right there. Jonghyun saw the fear in me so he put his arms around me to give me confidence and support.  But my world seemed like it just ended when his parents disapproved me in front of me and Jonghyun.