Chapter 2

The Loving Devil

 

As always the lights in my house were off. They were never on when I came home anymore. The lights were always used by my parents to greet me when I came home before. I stabbed the keys into the key-hole, and turned it. After walking in, I the hall-way lights. Just went I turn them on. Roo, my adorable puppy, ran up to me.

           “You are the only one who’s willing to stay with me,” I bent down and picked her up, “Why does everyone have to leave me? Dad and Mom both left me and Hea won’t come back to me anymore.”

           I did not realize I was crying until Roo put her head beside mine, “Thanks baby, I love you,” I put her down and went to the washroom to take a shower.

           Warm showers can always calm people down, that’s what I heard from others. I turned the heat up so high it burns my skin when I first walked into the shower. I let the water falls on me, trying to forget about my past but it just comes back like nightmares and haunts me. Hae, my only sister, left me when she found her new boyfriend who hated me. Mom and Dad were both killed in a car crash, and the last I said to them were “I hate you!” How could I be so cruel? I turned the shower off and walked back slowly to my room with a towel around me; I saw Roo curled up on my pillow where she looked soundly asleep. Why couldn’t I fall asleep like her? I sat down on the floor beside the bed and start sobbing.

 

 

           I walked slowly to my class with the worse feeling ever; I didn’t even realize that I walked into someone until the door way was blocked. I looked up and saw Jonghyun’s evil smile beaming down at me.

“What is going on up here?” He tapped the top of my head, “It doesn’t seem to be working properly.”

           I knocked his hands off and tried to push past him to enter the class room, but no matter how hard I pushed he just would not move.

“MOVE OUT OF MY WAY!!” I screamed and stomped on his foot. When he finally backed off, I ran into the class.

“Eunae? What’s wrong? Are you ok??” Sooyun asked me when I rushed to her and hugged her.

“I don’t want to be alone anymore,” I shook my head at my two best friends, “I hate it when the lights are off when I get home, and no one will ever be there to say welcome home to me anymore!” I could feel the tears rushing down my face but I could not stop it no matter how hard I tried.

Someone coughed beside me; I wiped my tear lines and looked up and saw Jonghyun. Again? Can’t he just leave me alone? I am not in a good mood for any jokes today.

“I believe you are sitting at the wrong desk, Sooyun” he said, “Remember? You got moved to the back yesterday?” he pointed to the back desk. “Also, I believe someone owes someone an apology.”

“I do NOT owe you an apology! You were in my way!” I snapped at him.

“I don’t think you should make fun of her today, she doesn’t seem right,” Yoora pulled Jonghyun.

“Quiet class! Take out your homework from last day; I would like to check for homework mark,” the teacher said as Sooyun and Yoora return to their seats.

           For the rest of the class, Jonghyun did not turn to look at me or talk to me. The class fled by without me understanding anything like any other time before, but the only thing I caught from the teacher was that our final exam was next month.  Next month?! How would I ever catch up all the way? I looked down at my paper where there was not one single line of the notes the teacher gave us. I wondered if Sooyun or Yoora would have enough time to tutor me again this year.

           It seemed like Jonghyun could read my mind, he turned and asked “Need me to tutor you for the final exams?”

           “Chincha?” My eyes brightened up by the words he said.

           “If you are willing to pay attention, sure. One way or another, I am stuck with you,”

           “Neh! For sure! I will pay attention!” my head got dizzy after nodding so much, “Ow… my head…”

           “Kinchana?”

           “Not really, I feel so dizzy…” I couldn’t finish my sentence; all I knew was that the darkness had taken control over me.