Day Two

Indifferent

Soobin’s POV

 

At around 8pm, the ‘butler’ asked if we wanted dinner. I was starving but Hyukjae is still asleep. However, he must eat too or it’ll be bad for his body so I went to wake him up which he reluctantly did.

 

“5 more minutes…” He groaned as he flipped to the other side. I had though he would be those who would wake up immediately once the alarm rang. Maybe that is just my sterotype.

 

“Hyukjae, it’s already 8pm. We need to have dinner.” I said and he sat up almost immediately.

 

“Let’s go have dinner.” All I could do was laugh. His hair was in a mess and he looked like he was 12. It was a sight I think no one has ever seen other than his family.

 

“What’s so funny/” He asked as he was about to walking out of the door, however I pulled him back.

 

“I think you might need to freshen up a little before walking out of the door. I’ll wait for you at the dining room.” I said and I left. That was seriously the funniest thing ever. I guess we’re all not perfect. Even he, Mr Perfect, as labelled by many people, had his imperfect moments too.

 

Even though we have a dining room, I think this is more like a personal restaurant. They have a menu and a ‘waiter’ as I would call it. When Hyukjae walked to the dining room, he looked more like his normal self, but he did not dare to make eye contact with me. I guess he’s embarrassed. But who wouldn’t, not like I’m his girlfriend or family.

 

Hyukjae chose the menu we’re having tonight as I received a call from omma. I totally forgot she would have seen the papers.

 

“CONGRATULATIONS DARLING ON YOUR FIRST SHOWCASE!” She was practically screaming on the phone. I was glad I had seen this coming.

 

“Thank Omma. I was quite disappointed you and Appa couldn’t come.”

 

“Don’t be silly dear. We’ll always support you no matter how far away we are. I didn’t call to just congratulate you if you realised. I want to know all about your new date.” Omma was excited really excited. She and Haemin were dying for me to get attached and now I am, in their eyes of course.

 

“Not now Omma, I’m slightly busy.”

 

“Where are you now?”

 

“I’m in Bali.”

 

“Bali?! Oh you must be on some sweet time with your boyfriend. Omma shall not bother you. But remember to call me when you’re back. I need to hear the details.” She exclaimed before hanging up the phone. Sometimes I wonder if I was talking to Haemin or my own birth mother. They can be so alike at times.

 

As I turned around to go back to the dining room, I got the shock of my life. Hyukjae was leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed.

 

“Who was that?”

 

“My Mother, I think she saw the papers and she’s asking me for answers.” I said as we walked back to the dining room. He placed his arms around my waist as if someone was watching us.

 

“You know, you don’t have to do this if you don’t want to. I don’t think we need to since no one’s watching.” Hyukjae looked slightly taken aback by what I just said. Rather than letting go, he had actually pulled me closer to him and this time, I was shocked.

 

“I will do it whether we’re in the eyes of the public or if we’re alone. “ Hyukjae said as he pulled out my chair for me to take a seat.

 

Dinner was pleasant. It was because neither of us exchanged speech. We ate in silence and I could tell even the waiter was uncomfortable. The place was huge and it was silent you could heart the dropping of a needle.

 

“Do you want deserts?” He asked Hyukjae who just looked at me, not answering or even acknowledging that the waiter had spoken at all.

 

“What do you have?” I asked.

 

“Chocolate mousse, New York Cheese cake, Tiramisu and red velvet cake.”

 

“I’ll have a Red Velvet cake while he’ll take a New York cheesecake.” I said and he scurried off without turning back. I assue to leave this awkward and tense atmosphere.

 

“I don’t take deserts.” Hyukjae said.

 

“With me, you will.” I smiled and he gave up.

 

“Why don’t you take deserts?” I asked since I don’t know of anyone who can resist the temptation of deserts. I could just live on them if I have to.

 

“Girls like sweets but I’m just not fond of them. “ He replied seriously. Now I know why he’s not that fun of a person. That is because he doesn’t get all of the sugar rush from the sweets.

 

“Never mind about desert. You’ll learn to appreciate them. How did your work go? You seem rather preoccupied by them.” I said as the waiter returned with our desert. Hyukjae looked at it and sigh as he ate it. He’s one who doesn’t like to waste food so I know he’ll eat it.

 

“It was good. I got most of my work done and those that are not so urgent I’ve postponed them.” He said as he ate his desert.

 

“That’s nice. So how’s your cake?” I asked, hoping he’ll enjoy it.

 

“It’s good. But it’s still not making me like deserts.” He said and I just laughed. If it was so easy to make him like it, he won’t be Lee Hyukjae.

 

“Do you have plans for tomorrow?” I asked.

 

“For the next few days, our itenary are packed. From massages to spa to anything you want.” He said. This is definitely something I won’t forget. I get to enjoy first class service and he planned it.

 

“Are you going to be working?” I asked as we walked to the living room.

 

“No”

 

The next morning, I woke up with a spread on the table, so much that it could feed a whole village. What is Hyukjae thinking? I took a plate of pancakes with Bacon and a cup of orange juice and sat on the seat I was at yesterday.  I was too hungry to wake Hyukjae up if he’s still asleep that is.

 

“What’s with all this food?” Hyukjae asked as he walked in and he didn’t seem to look too happy with it.

 

“I thought you ordered it.” I said since it was already here when I got into the dining room.

 

“I didn’t.” He said as he sat down on the same seat as he did yesterday.

 

The waiter told him that this was the usual for those who live in this Villa. They choose their breakfast like a buffet and the remaining will go to the buffet in the hotels but if the hotels reject it then it will go to the waste. I could tell Hyukjae was furious by the sound of it.

 

In the end, he offered to donate all the food on the table that we have not touched to the poor families in Bali. Even though we might not see them, but there must be people out there starving while we were eating high class food.

 

“This is nonsense. I’m going to do something about this for the future benefits of agriculture.” Apparently Hyukjae pulled some strings, contacted some people and made this plan a permanent one within an hour. He was so effective, I feel like I have yet to blink and there it is right in front of my eyes. I guess this is what you can do with money to the overflowing.

 

I went on the Spa alone since I don’t think I want to do it with him. It’s so awkward. I got a facial, body scrub, massage, back rubs, manicures, pedicures, waxing, anything you can find in a Spa, I did it all. I felt like royalty that day to the extend my legs won’t budge at the end of it.

 

Hyukjae was waiting for me when I got back to the Villa. He got his services done in the villa itself. Since it has rooms for it and all.

 

“So was it a good experience?” He asked with a smile on his face.

 

“I felt like royalty to the extend my legs won’t budge.” He just laughed, the laughter I’ve seen when he’s with his family.

 

“Hyukjae, you know you don’t have to spend all this money on me. We’re here to basically get away from those reporters. I don’t mind just lazing around reading books. The air is fresh and it’s relaxing here. It’s all I want.”

 

“I spend my money on what is worth spending on and I know that I didn’t waste a single cent on you today.” Did he just say that? Were my ears playing tricks on me? Or is he trying to play tricks?

 

“Let’s have dinner.” I don’t know where to look, don’t know what to do, how to react, so I chose to escape, but to no avail.

 

“You heard me loud and clear Soobin, I don’t need to repeat what I say.  I’ll wait for you in the dining room.” He Grab hold of my hand when I was trying to escape and now he ‘escaped’.

 

I got changed and went to where Hyukjae was. Hyukjae was at the phone when I got into the dining room. I don’t think he realised my arrival into the room. Since he was on the phone I decided to wait for him. However as the room was quiet, I could hear his conversation.

 

“Yes Omma… You saw the papers?... Yeah she’s my girlfriend, the same on you’ve met the other day…. No, it wasn’t a joke. We’re serious… If you want we can come visit you when we get back… I love you too Omma.”

 

When he turned around, he looked like he had quite a shock by seeing me there. Maybe I was quiet with my entrance.

 

“What are the activities planned for tomorrow?” Since I was quite curious on what we’re doing tomorrow.

 

“Most probably go to the beach and do some water sports while we’re at it. Is it alright if we return to Korea next week?” He asked.

 

“Sure. “

 

“The news might still be going about so I’ll get Yunho to drive you around.” Hyukjae said in a there’s no room for excuse manner so I decided to just leave it.

 

“Are you feeling ok? You seem a little quiet today.” Hyukjae said half way through the meal.

 

“I’m just tired.”

 

“How did your show go?”

 

“I’ve got an email from my secretaries say that it was a big hit.”

 

“My Mother saw the papers. She saw us together.” He said.

 

“We were on the cover of entertainment so it’s a little hard to miss.” I said.

 

“I’m glad she saw it. She had thought we were fake.” That tone. The smile disappeared from my face.

 

“So everything you did at the show was for her to see?” I asked, trying to steady myself.

 

“I knew she knew we were fake. I needed her to believe us.” He said, I realised he’s not catching on. I stood up immediately. I was raging on the inside. He came and mad all those things just because he wanted his mother to see? Is my show some sort of stepping stone for him?

 

“Lee Hyukjae, I’m disappointed in you.” I walked as quickly as I could back into my room and shut the door, locking it. I heard him knocking but no way am I going to let him in.

 

I know he’s a billionaire. I know we’re putting on an act. I know he’s helping me with my career as a compensation for my help. But making use of my hard work  to prove to his mother about us? I feel he’s demeaning my work, my career and the hard work of my team. What if he had screwed up?

 

The more I think, the more angry I got. I can’t be here with him. Not for someone who doesn’t know what he can do and what he cannot do.

 

I’m leaving

 

End of Soobin’s POV