Back

Indifferent

Soobin’s POV

 

Omma and I sat there for hours as the operation is taking place. Minutes felt like hours. Hours felt like day. I have never felt so restless all my life. However, I have to be strong for Omma. I cannot crumble on her.

 

When finally the light switched off, Omma and I stood up and the doctor came out. Appa was fine. The surgery was successful. I sat down on the chair in relief. Omma followed the nurse to fill up all the paper work. Looking at the time, it was close to 6pm. Time is seriously playing a prank on me. When I took my phone out of my bag, I know I was screwed.

 

5 texts from Hyukjae, 10 miss calls and 1 voice message.

 

“Soobin, where are you? I’ve been trying to call you and no one could get ahold of you. Call me.” He didn’t sound happy not at all.

 

I called him immediately even though I know that the outcome of this call would not be great at all. I walked to the balcony where there was no one other than me.

 

“Hello.” I said.

 

“Soobin. What happened?” he was angry.

 

“I am in the hospital.” I said.

 

“Are you hurt?” he sounded worried.

 

“No, I’m not. My father got into an accident. He’s ok now. I’ve been waiting for him in the hospital with my mother. I didn't hear my phone. I’m sorry.” I hope he understands.

 

“Soobin. You know how worried I was when I can’t get hold of you? No one knew where you were. Yunho went to your place to find it empty and your boss said you had an emergency.”

 

“I’m sorry. It’s just. Everything happened too fast.”

 

“I understand it was not something expected. But I was worried ok?”

 

“Hyukjae, my dad was in an accident. My dad. I have no time to think about anything else. Especially not relationship nonsense. My dad almost died.”

 

“So our relationship is nonsense?” Why is he only picking up things he wants to hear?

 

“I did not say that Hyukjae.”

 

“We need to talk when I get back.” His voice was clipped, serious, angry.

 

“I said I’m sorry ok Hyukjae. I know it’s my fault.”

 

“Just come to my place after work the day after.” He said.

 

“I thought you’d be away till next week?”

 

“I changed my mind.” And with that we ended the call. I went back to the family waiting room and tears streamed down my face. What is he doing to me? Why is he making me so miserable?

 

I wiped my tears away before going to see Appa. Omma said he is doing well. When Appa stirred, he was shocked to see me and he told me to go home. That he was ok and he’s as strong as ever. I guess my parents don’t want me to worry too much about them. However, how could I not? They mean everything to me.

 

The next morning, I took a bus back to Seoul. I needed time to think. Hyukjae sent me a text when he was taking a flight back to Seoul. It was short and clipped. No emotions, not love, no nothing.

 

Yunho was waiting for me at the bus terminal when I got back. He seemed serious and I guess he must be slightly upset on my disappearance since Hyukjae always puts him in charge of my wellbeing and my safety. The drive was silent and there were no words exchanged between Yunho and I. All these anger and stress is making me cranky.

 

“Thank you Yunho.” I said as I got out of the car. I was exhausted and wasn’t in the mood for anything. My Boss gave me a few days off since the only project I have at hand now is the one with Alexander. He said Alex could handle things for now. When I got to my bed, I crashed so hard that when I woke up, the sky was dark. I was screwed. I was supposed to be at Hyukjae’s place.

 

I showered, changed and drove to his place. I was hoping with all my heart I would be there earlier than Hyukjae. There was no call or message from him so I might be safe.

 

When I got to his house, it was dark which indicates that he wasn’t home yet. I was wondering if I should make him some food in case he was hungry. Before I was able to make a decision, the lift bing-ed and he came out, dragging his suitcase with him.

 

“Give me a moment.” He said as he walked to his room, not looking at me. Yunho gave me a curt nod and went to wherever he as supposed to go. I suddenly felt like some criminal. Maybe I should just leave. I don’t think either one of them want to really see me here. I just make them miserable. I turned around and was about to press the lift when a voice resounded in the great room.

 

“If you press that button, I swear I would tie you to the chair.” I turned around to see Hyukjae changed out of his suit and dressed in a pair of faded jeans and a white t-shirt. His face was flat and he was breathing so hard I know he was angry.

 

“I thought you didn’t want me here.” I said, trying to hold in my tears, hoping my voice didn’t give me away.

 

“What makes you think that? I told you to give me a moment. I didn’t ask you to leave.” Hyukjae said as he took a seat on the kitchen stool. I just stood there, looking at him, not knowing if I should join him or stand still.

 

“You’re pissed and you didn’t look happy to see me. I thought leaving would make things easier.” I said, looking down as I could feel the tears threatening to spill.

 

“Come sit.” Hyukjae said, with his clipped voice. I didn’t move as I didn’t want things to turn out even worst than it already is. Hyukjae realised I wasn’t going to move so he took my hand and led me to the stool nearest to his seat.

 

“Soobin, look at me.” I couldn’t, not now. I was a total wreck. I was never like this. I never cried not for anything, not in front of anyone. Hyukjae placed his fingers on my chin and tilted my head. His once cold eyes changed to warm brown and his face softened. I bit my lips to stop the tears but they were not in the mood for co-operation today. I stood up, wanting to run, but Hyukjae was faster than I was and grabbed my hand, pulling me into his arms.

 

That was the limit. My tears would not stop and my body would not stop shaking. Hyukjae held me in his arms for the longest of time as I sobbed in his arms. Even when my leg gave way, he carried me to the couch and continued to sooth me. When I stopped, he continued to my hair as I curled on his chest. I was almost falling asleep when I felt Hyukjae carry me to my room. He tucked me in and when he was able to leave, I grabbed onto his hand. I didn’t say anything but he stayed and sat on the chair by my bed. I held onto his hand as he was touching my hair with his other hand.

 

“I’m sorry.” I said as I looked into his eyes.

 

“I should be sorry.” He said

 

The next morning, I woke up alone in the room. I walked out into the great room to find Hyukjae with his back towards me, doing something on the stove. He cooks?! The smell that wafted from what he cooking smells really good. Looking at the foot he set out on the kitchen counter, he must have been cooking for some time. There was soup, pajeon, egg rolls and he was still cooking. I walked towards him, hoping to not break his concentration. He was humming at a tune.

 

“Hyukjae.” His head snapped in my direction and he stopped humming.

 

“I didn’t realise you were awake. Take a seat. I’m almost done.” He said. Flipping the pan a bit, he placed the food into a plate and sat down opposite me.

 

It was such a spread for breakfast. What was more amazing is that I didn’t know he cooked. I have never seen him cook that's one thing. I looked at the food and looked at him who seemed slightly nervous from his usual confident posture and stance.

 

“I don’t know if you’d like it but it’s just some stuff I learnt in school.” He said as he took a bowl and scooped the fried rice into it and put it in front of me. I ate it and it tasted like heaven on earth!

 

“This is so good.” I exclaimed and he smiled, relaxing a bit. We talked as we eat and I realised why he was nervous because he had never cooked for anyone before. The only person who ate his cooking before me was Donghae because they stayed in the dorm together.

 

“Are you feeling better?” He asked as we did the dishes and loaded the last of them into the dishwasher. I nodded my head but am unable to look at him. He pulled me into his embrace.

 

“I’m sorry for being mad at you. I was just worried. I was so far away yet I have no idea where you are. I had thought something happened to you.” Hyukjae said.

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t call you first. I was just so scared something bad will happen to my dad.” Hyukjae my back lovingly as we stood in the kitchen. When we pulled away, I was looking at him and he was looking at me. I could feel that strong electricity pulling our eyes together. In the next moment, my eyes were closed and Hyukjae’s lips were on mine. I didn’t know how long we were at it, but when his phone rang, we stopped. I couldn’t look at him due to my heated face, but he answered his phone, holding onto my hand as he lead us to the living room.

 

Even though he was on the phone, his attention was constantly on me. His fingers were rubbing my knuckled constantly as he talked on the phone. I let my eyes wander around his apartment and on him. How serious and handsome he looked when he was working. Those warm pair of eyes which were always gentle and kind when it’s looking at me.

 

“Ok. I’ll settle it. Bye.” He said as he hung up. I know he had to go to work again. He is working on a big case and yet here I am distracting him from his work.

 

“You need to go?” I asked

 

“Yeah. I’m sorry. Do you want to stay here or do you want to head back home?” He asked me.

 

“I want to go home. I have some things I need to do.” I said and he nodded his head. We agreed to meet back here in an hour. I showered and changed into a pair of jeans and a black shirt, taking my bag I went back into the living room to find Hyukjae already there, working on his laptop.

As I drove, Hyukjae took my car and Yunho trailed behind us. Even though I told Hyukjae I could go home on my own, he insisted on driving me home. When we got to my place, We both exit that car.

 

“I’ll see you later?” Hyukjae asked.

 

“Ok. Be safe.’ I said and gave him a kiss on the cheek. He smiled and went into his own car and went to work.

 

I’m already counting down the days where this feeling needs to end.