chapter two

Mystery Illusion

“Hey Yasui, lets go and have- Woah!” Juri exclaimed as he was pushed over by a whole bunch of girls from his class. 

“Since that Keigo guy transferred here, the girls have been going crazy!” Jesse sighed, shaking his head. 

“I know right? We’re also good-looking, but no one even looks at us!” Juri said shaking his head. Yasui laughed at how confident Juri was and glanced over to the group of people surrounding Keigo, then at Keigo himself.

It’s been a few days since Keigo transferred to Yasui’s school, but Yasui never got the chance to talk to him. Although their tables were right next to each other, whenever Yasui tried to introduce himself or confirm if Keigo remembered him, girls would surround Keigo and push Yasui out of the way or Keigo would be called to the teacher’s office. 

Before they had P.E, they went to the locker rooms to change into their sport uniform. Yasui was the first one to get into the locker room, all the other boys went to get a drink and go to the toilet, or so he thought. He opened his locker, grabbed his uniform, shut his locker, and to his surprise, Keigo was right next to him, already ing his white shirt to change. 

Yasui blushed at the scene of Keigo ing his shirt one by one, but turned to a puzzled expression when he saw all the cuts and bruises on Keigo's body. The cuts weren't little cuts like a simple paper cut or a little scrape, these were cuts you'd get from abuse. Yasui felt bad and although the wounds weren't physically on him, he was hurt. Who could be so cruel to do this to a boy? 

More cuts and bruises that Keigo tried hard to hide under his uniform were revealed on his arms. There was a cut that was fairly fresh on Keigo's arm. Yasui remembered when Keigo bumped into him, there was blood dripping from that arm, so he came up with the conclusion that the cut was formed then. 

"uhm... how'd you get all those bruises?" Yasui asked to make a conversation. 

Keigo turned around whilst in the middle of putting his sport shirt on and cheerfully answered "oh these? they're just from sporting activities, it's nothing" Obviously not!

Before their conversation could continue, the other boys from their class bunched in to get changed and soon their lesson started. For this P.E lesson, they played soccer. Yasui's favourite sport. When it comes to soccer, he gets pumped up and competitive. He's like a professional, but after seeing all of Keigo's scars, he couldn't concentrate. He was unable to get any goals, which everyone realized was unusual. 

Whilst running with the ball and man feel trying to get the ball of him, he tripped and badly injured his ankle. Even by moving it the slightest bit hurt. Everyone gathered around Yasui who was in pain and clutching his leg. 

"Yasui! are you okay?" exclaimed Juri and Jesse, worried. Their teacher walked over and asked if he could walk, but as soon as he tried to get up, he fell down again. “Okay, I’ll get someone to take you to the infirmary… Keigo, could you take Yasui to the infirmary?” 

Yasui stared at the teacher, surprised. He wasn’t mentally ready for this, not in the condition he’s in now. “Sure” was Keigo’s answer. As Keigo walked over, Yasui’s heart was beating so fast, he was sure he would explode. When Keigo helped Yasui up and supported his weight, Yasui’s heart skipped a beat. He was blushing so much he almost forgot about the pain. 

“Is your ankle okay?”

“u-uh yeah, it’s fine..” Yasui responded, blushing.

Keigo chuckled. “It doesn’t look fine..” he mumbled. 

Yasui turned his head away from Keigo’s sight and winced at the pain that had come back to him, not knowing that Keigo could see he expressions through the reflection. 

Keigo let go of Yasui and bent down in front of him, gesturing for Yasui to get on his back. Yasui was stunned, he just stood there confused. 

“H-huh?”

“You’re in to much pain to walk, get on”

“O-oh n-no, i-it’s okay.. really..”

“Just get on”

Yasui did as he was told and got on Keigo’s back. Being tall was obviously different. He’s heart started beating fast, once again. He was sure that Keigo could feel his heart beating through his chest.

Keigo was gentle and Yasui felt safe on his back. He wrapped his armed around Keigo’s neck and completely forgot about the pain in his ankle. He wished time could just stop right then and there. He woke up from his day dreaming and realized he never properly introduced himself to Keigo.

“I-I’m Yasui Kentaro by the way…”

“I know, you sit next to me”

They soon arrived at the infirmary; however, the school nurse wasn’t there. Keigo let Yasui down on a chair nearby and looked through the cupboards for some bandages.

“W-what are you doing?”

“Well, the nurse isn’t here, so I’m going to have to bandage you ankle myself.” Keigo said as he smiled when he finally found some bandages and pulled a chair in front of Yasui.

As Keigo started to take Yasui’s shoe of and rub some soothing cream on it, Yasui couldn’t help but wince in pain. Keigo tooked up at Yasui’s and smiled.

“I’ll hurt a little, but it’s better than having your ankle swell up tomorrow morning..”

“You seem to know a lot about this..”
“I get hurt often, so I have to bandage it up all by myself, I’m used to it” Keigo said as his smile disappeared. 

Yasui kept his gaze focused on Keigo as he finished bandaging Yasui’s ankle. After hearing what Keigo had said, Yasui had the urge to ask why he had so many scars on his body, but was too afraid to. As Keigo stood up and was about to put the left over bandages away, Yasui built up his confidence to say what he wanted.

“Why do you have so many scars on you’re body..?” Yasui said keeping his head down. “I know they’re not from sporting activities..”

Keigo stood with his back towards Yasui, eyes full of pain and hatred, too scared to face Yasui.

“I saw you being chased by those people..” Yasui continued.

It was then when Keigo remembered the boy he bumped into on that morning was Yasui. 

Yasui then pulled out the knife that Keigo had dropped that day. “You dropped this”

Keigo turned around, eyes widening at the sight of his pocket knife he had carelessly dropped. With watery eyes, his gaze met Yasui’s. 

“Why do you have this?” Yasui asked quietly

“To protect myself”