chapter one

Mystery Illusion

“Hello” Yasui answered to his ringing phone whilst still asleep. “OI YASUI! WAKE UP! WE’RE GOING TO BE LATE FOR SCHOOL!” a whole bunch of other boys on the other of the phone screamed. Still holding his phone, he looked at the clock and realised that he had over-slept. “oh no! I’ll be out soon, just wait a minute!” he said before hanging up. 

It was his first day back to school after summer break and as usual, his friends were waiting in front of his house so they could walk to school together. 

Yasui rushed down the stairs and passed the kitchen where his mum was cooking. “I’m leaving!” he said as e grabbed his bag. He was sure his mum said something to him but if he stayed back and listened, he would be scolded by not only his friends but also his teacher for being late. 

“FINALLY!” Juri said as Yasui closed the door behind him. “It’s the first day back you know?!” yelled Jesse as he strangled Yasui. “I’m sorry! I over slept…” Yasui finally spoke as he laughed. 


The boys finally started making their way to school. Talking, laughing, playing around, as if not caring if they were going to be late anymore. 

As they passed a busy street close to their school, a boy wearing a black hoddie, running with all his might bumped into Yasui, causing both of them to fall over and things dropping out of the black hooded boy’s hand. Although it was only a brief moment, Yasui could see clearly see the boy had be wounded in various places and had blood dripping from his hand. 
“Sorry, are you alright?” the boy said looking at Yasui. “ouch.. yeah, I’m okay..” As Yasui lifted his gaze to meet the boy’s, he saw eyes filled with fear and pain. He helped pick up what the mysterious boy had dropped, grabbing the item with was closest to him. An object which was wrapped roughly with ripped newspaper, clearly showed a pocket knife in there. Yasui still on the floor, stunned and shocked about what he had picked up. What was a young boy doing carrying a knife around?

Some voices started to call out from around the corner and a bunch on rough-looking men started pointing in Yasui’s direction. “GET HIM!” the men called out, metal poles and baseball bats in hand. The black hooded boy gathered what he could of his belongings and ran away, forgetting one item, still in Yasui’s hands. 

“Woah, I wonder whats going on..” Juri curiously asked, looking in the direction of the rough-looking boys. Yasui’s soul seems to have left his body, he froze and felt various feelings which could not be identified. He threw the newspaper covered pocket knife in his bag and kept walking with the others, still wondering what had happened to the black hooded boy. 

They finally got to the school and luckily, they weren’t late, just on time. Yasui made his way to his seat without a word and slightly took out what he had picked up earlier, only enough for him to see. He unravelled the newspaper, for him to only realize, not only was there a knife hidden in there, there was also small sized pouch in it. 

Yasui carefully opened the small pouch and gently took out what was inside. A necklace with a ring and a metal tag with Keigo Hagiya engraved on it. “Keigo Hagiya…? Who is that?” he thought quietly to himself. As the teacher walked in the classroom, he quickly stuffed it all in his bag and acted like he wasn’t doing anything. 

“Everyone take your seats, we’re going to start class” his teacher, who was late, declared. Everyone took their seats and the teacher continued. “We have a new transfer student, who is going to be in this class from now on, would you like to come in and introduce yourself?”

A tall and slim boy in an identical uniform walked in. “It’s nice to meet you all, I’m Keigo Hagiya, please take care of me” he introduced himself. “Woah, his sooo cute!” said some girls in the class. Although this transfer student was new to the school and the class, Yasui recognized him immediately. Though he was smiling, and looked much neater than he did, however, that didn’t stop Yasui from recognizing the familiar eyes filled with sadness and fear. 

“Hagiya-kun, you’ll be sitting at the back in the desk next to Yasui-kun. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask him questions. Everyone, please make him feel welcome.”

“Hai, arigatou gozaimasu” Keigo politely bowed as he made his way to his assigned seat. 

Yasui couldn’t stop looking at Keigo. No matter how hard he tried to pull his eyes away, he just couldn’t. Keigo was such a mystery to him. He had a gentle smile, yet his eyes were filled with sadness. Many questions filled Yasui’s head. Why was he chased by rough looking people? Why does he carry a knife? Why did he transfer to this school? Yasui wanted to know it all. It might sound strange, but he wanted to find out everything about this guy and he wanted to turn those eyes filled with sadness into eyes that were filled it happiness. He was attracted to this mysterious person.