Chapter 4

Myungsoo The Fake Psychiatrist

"Who are you?" Soo Min hollered in horror.

It had been weeks since a male entered her ward, except her father. Seeing another male so close to her made her delirious and all her memories came back haunting her. Her heart palpitated wildly as she threw a glare, her defensive instincts flaring up.She gawked at the intruder who seemed....

Even more scared than her.

His hair fell shortly above his eyes, she could see his eyes twinkling with fear, his nose bridge high and sharp. He squeezed his eyes shut and bit his lips until it bled. His knees gave way and he collapsed freely onto the ground and his file scattered across the floor, not far from him. His breathing seemed to have cut off as he cowered at the doorstep, his hands trembling slowly to protect himself.

He looked like a five year old kid cornered by bullies demanding for his chocolates.

Soo Min was astonished. Her recount had always imprinted stereotypes that males were fierce creatures, domineering and always out to harm. Yet this young male that stood collapsed before here seemed innocent, fearful and almost harmless. 

Myungsoo's heart finally stopped racing as he gingerly lifted up his hands away from his face. He opened one of his eyes and peeked at his patient. Her hair was messy and long, her eyes were flaring up in defence, as if threatening Myungsoo to take another step forward. She fixed her eyes at Myungsoo and followed his every movement. 

He carefully inched his hand outwards to gather his files and dusted his attire before standing firm again.

"I am Myung-, no, Sungyeol and I am your attached psychiatrist." Myungsoo lied, stuttering in between as he almost gave himself away. Soo Min was still gawking at him. His smile looked extremely rigid, and he stood really still.

"Get lost. I hate guys." Came Soo Min's curt reply.

"I'm here to help you please. I'm not going to harm you. Just answer my questions." Myungsoo pleaded, he needed the information. 

"Ok. 3 questions only. Shoot."

Myungsoo's body stiffened. Since he left the house he knew something was amiss. He had forgot to prepare for the session. He had no idea what to ask. And how to ask. Soo Min wasn't clawing herself yet, and he didn't want to be the one to incite it. Just think of something Kim Myungsoo. He took a deep breadth and muttered to himself.

"What's your favourite food?" Myungsoo stammered, fishing out his yellow notebook, getting ready to take notes.

"That's a damn stupid question a psychiatrist can ask. Anyway it's kimchi." Soo Min covered up hastily. She was extremely taken aback by Myungsoo's question. It seemed totally non related to her case and it felt like a casual question from her friends. She expected to hear heart breaking or direct questions that will send her screaming.

That's what psychiatrists do. Ask direct question and make you cry the hell out of yourself. Then replay everything in your mind and telling you to accept the truth. Make you more delirious then say 'oh your child is beyond hope I'm sorry.'

Number one reason why Soo Min hates psychiatrists. 

"What's your favourite animal?" Myungsoo cleared his throat after thinking for a long time. He wasn't asking productive nor concrete questions. His brain was not functioning well that day. He was just beating around the bush.

"Panda." Soo Min replied, with a hint of puzzle in her voice.

"Panda...." Myungsoo repeated softly to himself, but loud enough for Soo Min to hear. Soo Min found it adorable how he was attentively taking notes, writing slowly, trying to be neat and how his eyebrows furrowed thinking of the next question and how his face lit up a little when he thought of it.

"And what do you prefer me to address you?" Myungsoo asked. Finally! A constructive answer popped into his brain, at least that will get him somewhere in Sungyeol's job.

"Just Soo Min will do. No nicknames." Soo Min replied.

"Okay, thank you Soo Min. I guess three questions are asked. So I guess I have to leave..." Myungsoo trailed off. He was scheduled for a four hour visit yet it was barely 20 minutes. Sungyeol's supervisor will definitely smell something fishy.

"Actually Sungyeol, I suppose I allow you another 3 questions?" Soo Min blurted, and mentally slapped herself. She had no idea why she said that, supposedly because Myungsoo looked really harmless and he seemed to be more afraid than her. Myungsoo stood and stared at her in disbelief. Soo Min coughed to break the silence and continued.

"Yes stay we will talk."

Myungsoo took a few steps forward and stared at Soo Min throughout the way. Her profile state that she would claw herself when men try to get near her. But she wasn't clawing herself nor screaming. She was just fidgeting in nervousness. Myungsoo uncomfortably settled on the couch opposite of the one Soo Min sat.

"So why ask those questions?" Soo Min questioned, unable to suppress her curiosity.

"To know you better, I supposed." Myungsoo lied. It's actually my brain decided to fail on me and that's how I came up with those questions, he thought.

"Why?"

"I want to help you and not hurt you." Myungsoo replied, not knowing that Soo Min had a faint smile over her face.

'This "Sungyeol" guy doesn't seem so bad afterall.'