Chapter 2

Heart In A Freeze
 
chapter 2;

Kai opened the fridge on their kitchen in the midst of a midnight. He can't sleep really that well and his nightmares about her mom kept on vexating him. The sound of

the water being poured out from the pitcher down to the glass became audible around the quiet kitchen.

Just then another sound of a different type became audible too. Kai came up on an assumption that it wasn't just around the kitchen. He laid down the pitcher on the kitchen island and bring the glass of water along with him. He sauntered forward until he reaches the direction of the sound, it had brought him to the living room and only to be found Yoomi being all engrossed with a gag show at this late night basis. 

Kai's fist that was lurking inside of his pockets rolled in vehement fury. He just felt rage whenever he see her and just kept on reminding him that his father cheated on his mother at the midst of her misery. 

Kai is a boy who does what he wants to do and no one can ever stop him especially when his will is that strong. He took the remote control that was lying on the coffee table. The moment he had a grasp on it, he turn the TV off, not leaving any agony for her.

"Yah!" Yoomi bawled, stomping on her feet. Her feet being covered by dark pink socks.

Kai stood still for a moment and opens his mouth to say something.

"Let me get you straight to the point and let's be honest here. I don't really like you. You're a piece of crap. Don't you know it?"

Kai is always like this, blunt and directly to the point.

Yoomi's grip on the pillow tightened as she froze on her seat. Soonly after, she felt hot tears threatening to flow against the complexion of her skin. Never did ever in

her life did someone tells those kind of words to her. She can't even imagined someone like him do exist.

"Yah, why do you hate me that much? I know it's just our first meeting but I can feel you hate me that much. Just why?" She was already wiping the small tears she

put too much effort to suppress, but then still end up to have it's release.

"Didn't you hear me? You're a piece of a crap. You're not even worthy to step on this house!" 

Yoomi left being defeated by the impact of his words, she just can't do anything but just to cry.

"Now are you happy? Seeing someone being on this worst will make you happy? Fine then it's on your conscience not mine!" She stood up from her position but then her wrist was harshly grappled by Kai.

"Don't you ever tell this to Appa. Know your place. I'm the son and you're just nothing."

Yoomi took a release out from the grip and slipped her foot on her fluffy house slippers before ascending on the stairs precitipously. She was trying her best to stiffle

her sobs so as not to be heard by her parents.

Kai smirked in victory. Looks like making her life miserable will be a one long ride for him.

Upstairs, Yoomi hides her weeps and tears on her pillow. She covered her swollen face with a pillow but still the shedding of her tears just wouldn't stop flowing.

"Hoo.. how cou.. could someone be like that? I wen.. went here to expect a happy family but then.." She again weeped unvoluntarily, cutting her mid-sentence. 

Her sobs suddenly gets interrupted when a creak of a door became audible. She wipe her tears hastily and breathed an ample amount of sigh, just so to cease her tears. Yoomi's mom poked her head inside.

"Yoomi?" Her mom sat beside her. 

"Umma! Do you need something?"

"I thought I heard someone crying on your room so I rushed here." The edginess on ber face is prominent.

"Oh I was watching a movie on the T.V." It was clearly an alibi.

"Oh is that so? Ok, sleep now darling we'll be heading on your new school tomorrow to have you enrolled."

"Umma! I thought I won't be transferring to another school?"

"But your old school is too far here on Seoul. I already arranged documents from your old school beforehand."

"Umma!! I can commute going there!"

"Yoomi, it will be unconvenient for you. Besides, your Appa insisted. He was the one who insist. If you'll know how worried he is when he knew you'll commuting going to your old school in Busan everyday. Please do understand his feelings too, Yoomi."

"Fine then." She blew raspberry and pouted a big one before folding her arms across her chest. Her umma chuckled.

"Are you mad darling?"

Yoomi glance sideways, still being stubborn. 

"Aish, my baby." Her umma shook his head before tickling her on her tickle spot. It had made her burst out with too laughter that she almost end up crying in too much laughter.

"Umma umma!! Stop! It tickles! Ok ok, I give up! I'll head off to that place tomorrow with you!"

"That's my baby!" She kisses Yoomi's temples affectionately.

"Now sleep I don't want my baby to be a rotten fruit." She raised up the blankets until it reaches her shoulders before dashing off. When Yoomi sleeps she covers her body up until her face. She raises up the blanket, leaving the part of her eyes, sneaking a peek on her umma who's currently walking. Her umma can felt she still wasn't asleep so why she spun around but Yoomi already covered her eyes. 

Her umma then turned around and proceeded on her direction. Yoomi once again uncovered her eyes, watching her mom as she stride going through the door. Then again her mom can sense her daughter isn't still drifting on her slumber.

"Yoomi, I know you aren't sleeping." Turning around, caught her off-guard as she was just about to cover her eyes.

"Heehee umma." She sheepishly grinned at her own actions. 

"Can you sleep with me? I can't sleep." She whispers. Her umma then chuckled.

"But Yoomi you're already grown-up, it would be unlikely for me to sleep with you considering your age." 

"Umma please! Just this once! I won't bother you after this." 

Her mom sighed.

"Fine then, do I have a choice?" 

"Thanks umma! You're the best umma in the whole wide world!" 

"Oh wait, I'll just changed my clothes. Wait for me here." 

"Yes umma!" 

 

She then witness a scene just as she was already outside Yoomi's room. It was her husband scolding Kai. 

"You thought I like what were your actions towards them, huh? Is that what we had taught to you? To be arrogant and rude? We didn't spend our money to send you

to on an exclusive school just to have you lead with that attitude! For once just be nice to them!!"

"You didn't taught me anything. It was umma not you!" 

"What did you just say! You son of a--" He was cut off when his wife came towards her.

"Yeobo, stop it. He's still young, he doesn't know what he's doing. Let's just understand him." She states, brushing on her husband's arms.

"Pretending to be good. What a two face woman." Kai mumbles with a low tone but still his Appa hears it all.

"What did you just say to her? Take it back young man!" 

Although Mrs. Kim's heart sting because of what had Kai had just said, she tries to understand him. In fact, she's always been like that, always there  to understand someone.

"Yeobo, it's alright. I understand that he's still on a state of a shock, just let it slide for now." Mrs. Kim was throttling her husband. Her husband massaged on his

temples and heaved a long sigh before finally giving up. 

"Fine then. If it wasn't for you I would have been scolded him." His eyes landed on Kai before heaving a very long sigh before turning to his wife.

"What are you up to at this late?" Her husband said, slightly getting calm.

"Yoomi wants me to sleep with her tonight. Is it alright with you?"

"Ofcourse yeobo, maybe Yoomi isn't still used on her new surroundings."

"Pssh, such a child." Kai mumbles, taking his leave on his own room which was just beside Yoomi's room. He can't bear anymore the scene he was witnessing. Never once in her life did ever he had saw his appa being this sweet to anyone, even on his true mom. It was as if he had transform into new person whenever his presence were near at his new wife.

 

 

The morning came along in a jiffy. The whole family were all dressed-up but one member of the family stands out among them. It was Kai, impeccably spruced up on his multi-colored uniform. It was a match combination of navy blue with white. And Yoomi found herself gazed at her for almost good amount of seconds but then her jaw automatically came back on her original position upon snapping out from her own daze.

"Stop starring. It's disgusting." Kai concededly spat, his hands inside his pockets.

Yoomi just rolled her eyes. She've got to admit, Kai looks good on his uniform -- although she hates too much the fact.

The family were set to accompany Yoomi on her enrollment. And for Kai, he has to go to school since it's Monday.

"Oh yeobo, I though you had work today. It's Monday, right?"

"I'll drop by later but I will first accompany you both."

"Thanks yeobo. Wait, let me fix your tie." Her hand run down her tie, fixing it.

Kai just rolled his eyes horridly at the sight of them being with that state. While, Yoomi sweetly beam and her eyes dreamily gleam with the sun rays, she was just that happy for her mom, already finding her true love.

Yoomi's current jocunt actions made Kai hate her more. He just felt that Yoomi is just too careless and too engrossed with her own happiness that she didn't take notice that he was not pleased seing the scene.

Even so, he rolled his eyes and departed the area but then was obstruct by his father.

"Hey hey, where are you going?" His tone was almost like a venom, bitter at the same time compounded with hostility.

"And now you're constricting me to go to school?" Kai returned the same tone to his father.

"What you--" Again, his father was cut off by Yoomi's mother.

"Calm down yeobo." 

His father had difficulty on calming up on his own self, but then he breathed out just so to release the resentment he felt towards Kai. He pulled up his uniform and tried to calm down.

"You'll be joining us here." He finally spat on Kai.

"No need to. Do you seriously think I want to join in? I don't need your sympathy." He then take his leave.

A warm and gentle pair of hands seized his arms that made him turn around. It wasn't late when he had notice it was Yoomi. Kai then rolled his eyes.

Actually, never once on his life did he ever felt someone so gentle and warm. The majority of the entirety of his life was all cage up with hatred and abhorrence.

Even so, the way he looked at Yoomi never change. For him, she's just a piece of a crap threatening to make his life worsier even though his life is already worst than worsier.

"What?"

"Just join us. Just this once pleeease." The pleading sound as a whisper.

"Whatever." Though how much someone strain him to do something, he can't bother. In fact, he doesn't care. He then spun around.

"Kai, pleease." 

Kai stopped walking then turned around. "With one condition."

"What is it?"

"You won't bother me anymore. I hate talking to you."

Though there was a stain of sore part somewhere on her heart by her words, she then agreed on the condition and nodded.

 

Inside the car, it was an unlikely scene for them being so awkward. Nobody initiate to start a conversation, and the air was almost suffocating them, being all dull and void. The two love birds then converse on their own conversation, and again with stuffs that only them could ever relate as if it was   a classic scene that oldies were

too absorbed by their own world that teenagers wouldn't understand, leaving both the teens unoccupied.

Kai plugged his earphones when he had realized that him and Yoomi had left to do nothing at all. Like what he had told her, he hate talking to her and he mean it. Yoomi wasn't aware that he had his earphone plugged on his ears.

"Hey, umma said I'll be enrolled on your school. Is your school nice?" She made her tone as amiable and casual as possible, having hopes that just maybe.. Just maybe, Kai would be her friend.

"Does your school do have many friendly people?" She started but then got no reply from Kai.

"You know I never been transferred to other school since gradeschool that's why I don't know what should I do." She once again spoke.

"I heard your school is big like this." She gestured her hands into an imaginary big circle but when she turn to face her, she saw Kai wasn't even listening.

"Kai, I'm talking to you! Hey!" She endlessly nudged on her until it had seethed Kai to get abrasive. 

"Yah!! Can't you have your own life?!" He was glarring at her vehemently.

"Sorry, I thought you might listen." Yoomi's arms deflated, feeling dejected.

The two love birds notices the fume and tension between the two.

"Hey kids, what's the problem?" Yoomi's mom asked worriedly.

"It's nothing umma! It's nothiiiingggg! Really it's nothing! You don't have to worry!" She grins sheepishly. Kai rolled his eyes before attaching again his earphones, maximizing the volume of the song. 

Yoomi opens to say something again to her when a question formulated on her mind, but then Kai had already shut his eyelids. That's when it hit Yoomi,

Kai is actually good-looking up-close.

But with this perfect constructed facade lies a contrast equivalent inside. 

*Good-looking people are always the arrogant ones. What a waste.* She sighed.