City Hunter

Review of dramas and movies

Review of City Hunter

About

Genre - Action/Romance/Thriller

Airing Time - May - July 2011

Running Time - 60 minutes the episode

Episodes - 20

Rating - 15

Storyline

In 1983, the South Korean President and his delegates are visiting Burma when a bomb planted by North Korean agents explodes, killing some high-ranking officials. This historical event is called the Rangoon Bombing (also known as the Rangoon incident). To strike back, five South Korean officials plan a covert operation, codenamed "Operation Cleansweep," to enter North Korea and kill several top members of the North's high command. Lee Jin-pyo and Park Moo-yul, two Presidential Security Service bodyguards and best friends who were present at the bombing, organize a 21-man team for the mission. However, as the team wreaks havoc in Pyongyang, the five officials abort the plan to avoid an international crisis if the mission is discovered. Their major concern is that the United States will withdraw its nuclear protection if the mission is made public, in light of Seoul's official declaration that it will not retaliate.

The operation is successful, but as the troops swim out from Nampo to an ROK Navy submarine assigned for their extraction, snipers aboard the submarine open fire on them. An already injured Park sacrifices his life to save Lee. Lee swims back to shore and returns to South Korea, where he finds out that the assault team's service and personal records have been erased.

Promising to avenge his fallen comrades, Jin-pyo kidnaps Moo-yul's infant son. He flees to the Golden Triangle to raise the child as his own and trains the boy intensively in combat. Following an attack on a village they are living in, Jin-pyo confesses his long-term plan for revenge to the child, Lee Yoon-sung.

Seven years later, after successfully finishing his college years and attaining a doctorate in the United States at the Massachusetts Institude of Technology, Yoon-sung returns to South Korea to fulfill his adoptive father's plan for revenge. He enters the Blue House as an IT expert under the National Communication Network Team. He is warned by Jin-pyo not to trust anyone and never fall in love, as doing so will put the people around him in danger.

While working at the Blue House, the plot takes off after Lee meets bodyguard Kim Na-na. Eventually Na-na helps him to take revenge, as they discover that they have the same goal in mind. Problems occur as Jin-pyo's revenge plot unfolds, especially when Lee defies his surrogate father at several occasions as they try to identify and kill the officials, known as the "Council of Five."

Cast

Lee Min Ho - Lee Yoon-sung/Poochai (Johnny/John Lee)

Park Min-young - Kim Na-na

Lee Joon-hyuk - Kim Young-joo

Kim Sang-joong - Lee Jin-pyo

Kim Sang-ho - Bae Man-duk/Bae Shik-joong

Hwang Sun-hee - Jin Sae-hee

Goo Ha-ra - Choi Da-hye

Chun Ho-jin - Choi Eung-chan

Extended cast

Park Sang-min - Park Mu-yeol

Kim Mi-sook - Lee Kyung-hee

Lee Seung-hyung - Song Young-duk

Yang Jin-sung - Shin Eun-ah

Lee Kwang-soo - Ko Ki-joon

Jeong Joon - Kim Sang-gook

Lee Hyo-jung - Lee Kyung-wan

Choi Jung-woo - Chun Jae-man

Choi Il-hwa - Kim Jong-shik

Choi Sang-hoon - Seo Yong-hak

Min Young-won - Min Hee (cameo)

Yoon Ye-hee - Mrs. Yong (first lady, cameo)

Kim Byung-choon - Jang woo-hyun

Shin Young-jin - Kim Mi-ok

Chae Sang-woo - young Poochai

Personal Opinion

One of the best dramas ever watched!! Just saying. At the time being, I've watched a lot of dramas and still watching some at the moment and this drama is still on the top 5 of dramas I've watched. Even though it's this good, the beginning didn't really catch me because, and I know it sounds crazy, I waited for Lee Min Ho to appear in the drama. He is the whole reason I watched this and he just plays the role perfectly. 

Don't get me wrong, the drama it self is really good and not only because Lee Min Ho is a part of the cast. I love the plot about a man on a mission, gets the command by his "father" to help him get revenge and then after years of hardcore training, he travels to Seoul to start the mission. He gets the command by his so called "father" to not fall in love or people who stand him near is going to die and he'll fail the mission. What I love about this is that Yoon-sung falls in love with Na-na and because of her, he can't complete his mission since she is on of the guards to the president, who Yoon-sung has to kill to furfill the revenge.

Even though it's a drama like this, there is lovely-dovely moments between Yoon-sung and Na-na. There is even a surprise kiss XD !Spoiler alart!

The scene I dislike the most is when Lee Jin-pyo kidnappes Yoon-sung to raise him as his own and to take revenge on his dead friend.

I can't lie that the scene I love the most is the rooftop kiss scene. There isn't really much to say about it, I just love that scene.

My rating for this drama:

View Full Size Image

Check out the trailer: (I couldn't find any trailer with English subtitles)

Thanks for reading my review of City Hunter :D If you have any drama or movie from Asia you want me to review, then fell free to tell me :)