A Werewolf Boy

Review of dramas and movies

Review of A Werewolf Boy

About

Genre - Fantasy/Romance

Release Year - 2012

Running Time - 122 minutes

Rating - 15

Storyline

The Movie tells about an elderly woman, named Kim Suni, who lives in the US, who gets a phone call about the sale of her old family home back in South Korea. When returning to her homeland, she meets her grandauther Eun-joo and they drives to the house on the country side and stays for the night. Suni recalls 47 years ago, when she was a teenage girl in the year of 1965, she moved from Seoul along with her widowed mother and sister Sun-ja to a remote valley to undergo a period of convalescence after suffering problems with her lungs. 

One night, Suni glimpses a shadow in the outhouse and the next day she descovers a feral boy of about 19 years crouching in their yard. The boy's body temperature is 46 degrees celsius and his blood type unidentifiable and he can neither read nor speak. Even though he behaves like a wild beast, Suni's kindhearted mother adopts him and name him Chul-soo. At first Suni considers him a nuisance, but by time she trains him according to a dog-training manual. she teaches him how to wait patiently for the meal, how to wear clothes, how to read, how to speak and other human behavior. 

As Suni attempts to "civilize" the beast, the two of them becomes very close. Suni opens her heart to Chul-soo and in return he falls in love with her, the only person to ever show him affection. But their relationship gets defficult, when their landlord, Ji-tae, begins to cause trouble. Feeling threatened, Chul-soo lets loose his beast instincts and in their fear, the town villagers turn on him. In order to save the life of the boy, who risked his to be by her side, Suni leaves him with the promise; "Wait for me, I'll come back for you".

Cast

Song Jong-ki - Chul-soo

Park Bo-young - young Suni / Eun-joo

Lee Young-lan - Kim Suni

Jang Young-nam - Suni's mother

Yoo Yeon-seok - Ji-tae

Kim Hyang-gi - Sun-ja

Yoo Sung-mok - Professor Kang Tae-shik

Seo Dong-soo - army colonel

Woo Jeong-guk - Mr. Jung

Gu Bon-im - Mrs. Jung

Nam Jung-hee - Dong-seok's grandmother

Ahn Do-gyu - Dong-seok

Shin Bi - Dong-mi

Lee Jun-hyeok - policeman

Oh Yeong-seok - policeman

Lee Sung-ju - Suni's son

Jang Seo-yi - Suni's daughter-in-law

Jo Jae-yun - Suni's grandson

Personal opinion

This movie is one of the best I've watched so far. Just the idea, of a boy who acts like a wild beast, is a good start. Song Jong-ki's acting skills have gone through a test and in my opinion, he passed it. A story about two young persons, who protects each other for those who don't want them to be together. 

I have a lot of favorite scenes in this movie. First we have the meeting in their yard. There is when, inside the house, the landlord comes in and won't leave Suni alone and then Chul-soo protects her from him and make him leave her alone. All the scenes where Suni teaches Chul-soo human behavior is full of love between the young couple. My absolute favorite scene is when the training starts, where Chul-soo for the first time listen to Suni's order.

Now to the bad scenes. There really isn't many, but there is a scene, which is a really good scene, but I put it as a bad scene because it's sad. The scene in the woods where the two of them have to part, in order to protect Chul-soo from the town villagers. What makes the scene so good, is that Chul-soo won't leave her, even if she tells him to. The only reason he stayed was because she ordered him to, like she did in his training. 

My rating for this movie is

14ifqdd.jpg

 

Check out the trailer

 

 

 

Remember to tell me about any drama or movie you want me to watch and I'll add it to my list :)