Year 2010

A Best Friend's Confession.

-4-

Fall 2010
Birthday Surprises

       “Happy Birthday, Krys!” Victoria screamed loudly into the phone. Victoria was in Rome, with her husband enjoying their third honeymoon. “Did you get my package?” She question enthusiastically. 

“Yes, I did. Thank you, Vic.” Krystal said, as she opened the package. “Well? What do you think?” Victoria questioned. Krystal could hear the excitement in her friend’s voice, and it made her feel giddy. Krystal removed the safety plastic from the inside of the package. Beneath all the plastic was a small white wooden box, it had hand drawn wild flowers and her name was engraved on it. Krystal smiled, “It’s beautiful, thank you “She finally said.

“You haven’t looked inside, have you?” Victoria plainly said. Krystal laughed, she been too busy admiring the craftsmanship, that she completely forgot about the inside. With a click of a button, the lid opened. Krystal caught her breath, “You shouldn’t have!” She said, as she stared at the ring.  “You’re welcome!” Victoria said with a chuckle. “Try it on” Victoria order. Krystal picked up the ring, words couldn’t describe the beauty of the ring, Krystal placed the ring on her finger, and it was a perfect match. The ruby stone shined under the lights of her room. Krystal admired the ring, when something on the side of it caught her eyes. “F(x)” Krystal read, suddenly tears formed in her eyes.” Vic,” her voiced cracked. 

“Don’t you dare cry, you’re going to make me cry, silly.” Victoria said between sniffles. In that moment Krystal felt as if Victoria was right there with her, right beside her like old times. “How old are you this year?” Victoria said, as she sipped from her tea. She tried to change the subject. “Hmm, I don’t know.” Krystal wondered, she tried to stabilize her voice. “Last time I checked I was fifteen, maybe?” She jested.

“ Eeeeh,” Victoria teased. “That was years ago.” Both of them started to laugh. It had been a while since they last talked. It was nice to hear Victoria’s voice. “Oh my God!” Victoria suddenly said “Remember when we ditched school for your birthday?” Krystal nodded her head, as if Victoria was there with her.

Krystal smiled, as she remembered

“Yes, it was a moment I’ll never forget.”

       “Are you sure, we’re going to get away with this?” Luna fretted, as the five girls made their way to the bathroom. “We won’t, if keep on looking like you’ve seen a ghost!” Sulli retorted. Luna made a face at Sulli, and continued to fuss.
Krystal looked around, and under the stalls to make sure no one was inside the restroom, before she spoke, “Okay, so what’s the plan?” She questioned. The girls looked at each other, and shrugged their shoulders. Krystal was afraid of getting caught, but she didn’t’ want the others to know, and she didn’t want to jinx it.


“Well my boyfriend said he was going to figure out a way to get us out.” Sulli informed, pointing at Victoria, Amber, and Luna. “Krystal on the other hand; her sister is taking her out of school, so you better get back to class.” Sulli ordered. Krystal nodded her head, and was about to exit the bathroom, when she stopped at the door. “Hopefully we get away with this.” Krystal beamed as she walked out of the bathroom, but once she was alone her whole demeanor changed.

 Krystal returned to class, she tried her best to pay attention, but her mind was somewhere else. She sat there looking at her teacher, confident that she wouldn’t be called on, if she pretended to looked focused. It was Krystal’s birthday today; her friends were surprising her by taking her out, and by ditching as well. Although, Krystal never told them it was her birthday today, but she was pretty sure her sister had told them. Krystal’s friends planned to take her out somewhere fun to celebrate her sweet sixteen.

However, Krystal had stopped celebrating everything after the horrible accident that happened at Steve’s party. That day had scared Krystal, to the point she couldn’t even fathom celebrating her own birthday. She shuddered at the thought, and began to count the seconds on the clock.

Krystal didn’t want to ditch, but her parents would not allow her to go out after school; therefore they didn’t leave her another choice. Her father feared for their safety, which is why they had moved to Korea in the first place. After they arrived, Krystal and Jessica lived under strict rules; at the cause of the accident. Their Father would not let them leave the house at all; the only way they could leave, was if Mrs. Jung would personally accompany them; their texts and calls were monitored, which is why Krystal and Jessica created their own secret vocabulary; boys were forbidden; and they could not hang out with their friends after school, this caused Jessica to rebel, and sneak out at nights most of the time.

The more Time conscious Krystal became, the slower time became. Had they been caught? Krystal thought. She doodled aimlessly, and carefully checked her phone, whenever the teacher had his back to the class. Krystal bit her lips, her heart goes pit-a-pat. The pulse quickens.

Suddenly, the door swung open, and a student helper walked in. She directed herself to the Teacher, and whispered in his ear. Krystal’s blood turned cold, when the Teacher fixed his eyes on her. “Krystal,” Said he, Krystal’s mind began to race with negative thoughts. “Seems like you’re leaving early today, please gather your things. You’re excused.” Krystal let out a heavy sigh of relief, as she packed her things. Before leaving she bowed to her teacher, and awkwardly walked out of the classroom.

Krystal made her way to the main office. Her heart goes pit-a-pat. Krystal was excited; she was floating on a cloud, for she felt her feet never touched the ground. She quickly made her way to the office. Krystal opened the door, and found Jessica sitting on one of the chairs. “Well, there’s my little sister!” Jessica cheered. “We are late for your dentist appointment. The nurses are waiting for you.” She hurried. Krystal scoffed, “Late? You’re the one who took long! Let’s go!” Krystal retorted eagerly. They were about to walk out, when the office lady stopped them. “Miss Jung, you need to sign the release forms,” The lady handed Jessica the forms, “My, I’ve never seen someone so excited for a dentist appointment.” The lady commented. The two sisters lightly chuckled; they had once again fooled the adults. See, when Jessica said, “We are late for your dentist appointment. The nurses are waiting for you.” What she really meant was, “The girls managed to get out, and they’re waiting for you.”

Krystal ran out of the school, with Jessica trailing behind. Although it was still pretty warm, she had forgotten how cold it had gotten. Jessica ushered Krystal down narrow streets, and their school began to get smaller and smaller. The pulse quickens. “Why aren’t you in school?” Krystal questioned with curiosity highly noticeable in her voice. Jessica didn’t answer and continued to lead the way. Krystal became annoyed, and asked again, this time with more authority. “Why aren’t you in school?” Jessica did not answer. “Sica!” Krystal cried out. Finally, Jessica responded, but it wasn’t the answer Krystal was hoping for.

“Why aren’t you in school?” Jessica mimicked her little sister. “You aren’t one to ask such question, little one.” She retorted. Krystal was astonished, but decided to leave it as that. She didn’t want to start a fight. But she was worried for her sister. After Jessica got in a fight with Tiffany; she started to hang out with the wrong crowd. Krystal didn’t want to blame her Jessica’s new “friends”, but she was left with no other choice but to blame them. Jessica had gone from A plus student to a F minus student. Jessica would spend half of her nights out with friends, something that the Jessica in the States didn’t do.  Nonetheless, Krystal felt it wasn’t in her place to get involve in her sister’s affairs. The last time she did, she almost lost her life.

“Krystal!” Luna happily hollered, as she ran towards them. Behind her, the other girls followed with bright smiles. They were out of their uniforms, and into everyday wear clothes, very stylish everyday clothes. Sulli wore cute denim shorts, white converse, with a blue shirt tucked in, and a red hat; Amber wore a superman shirt, black jeans, blue and red gloves, and plain pair of black combat boots; Victoria wore denim jeans, a white loose shirt, a black cardigan, Polk-a-dot flats; while Luna wore a yellow shirt, space print tights, and black combat boots similar to Amber’s boots.

“Here, this is a present from all of us!” Sulli beamed, as she handed Krystal a bag. “You can change upstairs in Amber’s apartment.” Sulli ordered.

“Well this is my cue to leave.” Jessica said, as she started to head back. “Wait! You’re not going with us?” Krystal called out, with a perplex expression. “Nah, my work here is done. Besides I don’t feel like babysitting.” Jessica clarified. Krystal mood went down, and it became apparent to her friends.

“Same here, Jess!” Sulli called out. “We don’t feel like babysitting a drunky.” Sulli smirked.

“Say that again, you little punk!” Jessica charged towards Sulli. Krystal and the other three girls quickly got in between Jessica and Sulli. “Sica, can you just leave.” Krystal whimpered.

Jessica regained her composer and bid her little sister goodbye, while warning Sulli to shut .

After the sour moment, Krystal changed into the clothes her friends had gotten her. Krystal wore black shorts, a blue shirt, matched with two long necklaces, and brown boots. Krystal absolutely loved her clothes, even more because it was a present from her friends. When she was about to put her things away, and an envelope fell from her bag. Krystal picked the envelope from the floor, she discovered a card inside, and without a moment to waste, she opened the mysterious card. Krystal discovered a short letter written on the walls of the card.

Happy Birthday Krystal! I can’t believe you’re 16 already! I still remember when you were a baby! Time flies, and next thing you know you’re going to be married!

Hope you have fun with your friends

Love, 

Mom.

P.S. There’s a credit card, I got for you. Spend the money wisely, and treat your friends!

Don’t tell your father! It’ll be our little secret! ㅋㅋㅋ

Krystal couldn’t help but laugh, her mother was quite bonkers at times, and it completely made her day.

    “We’re almost there!” Victoria cheered, as they got out of the train. Amber guided Krystal out of the train cart. It had been a long ride, but it was worth it, since they goofed around the whole time, well except for Krystal.

Krystal had been blindfolded against her will; therefore she could not see where she was going. She also could not hear anything, besides the music that was playing. Luna had placed earphones in Krystal’s ears, and every time she tried to take them off or lower the volume of the music, Victoria would slap her hands. According to them it would ruin the surprise.

All five girls walked a couple of streets. Krystal was guided by Amber and Victoria. Krystal felt idiotic wearing the blindfold; however, excitement surged through her body, like electricity. Although, her main senses were blocked, she still had her sense of smell, touch, and taste. As they walked, Krystal started to smell various aromas, but one scent that stood out the most was the popcorn smell. There was also a lingering aroma of crêpes. Where are we? Krystal pondered.

 

“We are here!” Victoria screamed in Chinese, and as if in cue Amber took Krystal’s blindfold off her face. The sudden light made Krystal wince. She squinted to adjust her sight, when she saw the sign before her.

 

“Amusement Park,” it read. Krystal turned around to face her friends, who were all smiling. “How did you guys…” Krystal was lost for words. “Sulli pulled some strings.” Amber admitted. Krystal looked at Sulli and gave her a big hug. “Well it wasn’t exactly me, it was my boyfriend.” Sulli confessed. “He forgot our anniversary, and he made it up by giving me these passes. Cool, huh?” Krystal couldn’t find the right words to describe what she felt inside; thus she let out a heartfelt laugh. Krystal expressed her gratitude by hugging each and every one of the girls. “Come on, let’s go! What are we waiting for?” Victoria rushed as she ran toward the entrance, the girls ran behind her, while Krystal slowly jogged in the back. ‘Moments like these were the ones I cherished the most.’

 

“Hey, can you take care of my rail pass? I don’t have any pockets, and it keeps on falling from my belt.” Amber told Krystal, once they were inside. Krystal gladly took Amber’s pass; Krystal had been the only one who had a backpack. She had all her things in there; in case she needed to get home fast she had her things ready.

 

The amusement park was grand and old, but beautiful, nonetheless. Although, some rides looked like they were about to fall apart, they gave the park a form of elegance. Even though, it was a Monday, the park was really full. Kids ran everywhere, to and fro trying to be the first in line.

The girls ventured into the park, and  ran here and there, mostly everywhere. Getting into every ride, including the kiddy rides. It would seem as if they have never been to an amusement park. Apart from Sulli, the other four had never been to an amusement park in South Korea. It was much too expensive. Although, Amber and Krystal had been to Disneyland back in the States; however, it was nothing compared to the beauty of the old amusement park. There was a different vibe from the old amusement park that made it better than Disneyland.

They took normal, quirky, funny pictures around the park. The elderly women in the park would smile as they would see the girls run around and laugh. They weren't causing any harm, it was all youthful fun. The type that made the elderly women looked back to their golden days.
Krystal stuffed popcorn into , her stomach was begging for a meal, but Krystal didn't want to stop having fun. She had lost track of time, so her stomach decided to remind her it was feeding time.
"I'm so hungry!" Amber whined, as she rubbed her stomach. “If I don't eat, surely I'll die!" Amber fainted into Victoria's arms.
"You're such a baby!" Victoria said, as she pushed Amber out of her arms." Who else is hungry besides this big baby?" Krystal raised her hand. “I’m hungry, too" she said. Luna and Sulli also raised their hands. “What to do?" Victoria said, as she looked into her wallet. "Looks like I'm out of cash." She showed her members the empty wallet. Victoria looked inside her pocket to see if she had any extra, but she didn't. "I also wasted all my money, and I can't use my credit card." Sulli fretted. "My mom would know I ditched."She added. 

The girls sat down with roaring stomachs and sad expressions. Krystal sat there thinking of what she can do, but nothing came out. She sat there thinking and thinking, when she remembered the card. “Treat your friends..." Krystal clumsily opened her bag, and looked for the card. She dumped everything on the floor, and began to search.

"Is she crazy?" Luna said puzzled. “I think hunger got the best of her." Amber added.
Krystal found the envelope. She quickly got up, and bolted to the direction where she last seen the food court.

 “Krystal, where are you going?!" Victoria called out.
Krystal turned to her dumbfounded friends. "Stay here!" Krystal commanded, as she waved the envelope around.  "I'll be back!" She shouted.

Krystal ran until she couldn't any more. She swore the food court was by the dragon rollercoaster, but it wasn't there. Krystal jogged in circles, when a certain blue jacket caught her eye. Krystal made an abrupt stop, she looked at the guy with the jacket was with a girl. The girl’s arms were intertwined with the guy’s arm. The blonde hair girl leaned on the guy’s shoulder as they walked together. Krystal found herself following behind the tall couple. Her heart goes pit-a-pat. The pulse quickens. Krystal opened ready to call the name of the person, but no sound came out.

"Krystal!" Her friends called out. 
Krystal turned around confused, without realizing it she had made her way back to where she had started. Krystal turned back, and started looking around trying to find them again, but the couple was far gone.  She could have sworn the guy with the blue jacket was Chanyeol.
"Why did you leave us?" Amber asked a bit irritated.
"I...uh...I" Krystal tried to find the words, but she couldn't. Her brain was trying to process what she could have seen.
Was that Chanyeol? Krystal wondered.
"Huh?" Amber voiced. “What was with the envelope?" 
Krystal looked back to her hand, and found herself crumbling the envelope. She then remembered why she has left. “I went looking for the food court." Krystal said sincerely." I wanted to surprise you guys with food."