Year 2011

A Best Friend's Confession.

Krystal tried really hard to enjoy the party. The music was blasting through the speakers, to the point that Krystal could feel the bass beating in her chest. Krystal saw her friends having a blast, but she couldn't bring herself to it. Krystal wanted more than anything to be like Amber, so carefree and friendly, but she couldn't.

            Krystal made her way towards the punch table. She needed a drink. Krystal squeezed her way through. Sweaty bodies pushed against her, and she hated it.

The atmosphere brought Krystal memories of her last 7 months living in San Francisco. She didn't want to remember.

Krystal began feeling dizzy, she tried to inhale and exhale as much as possible, but it was getting hard to breathe. Krystal made her way to the only open space, the punch table. Krystal's hands shook, as she served herself punch. While she drank, a figure caught her attention.

I'm seeing things, Krystal said to herself. She shook her head a couple of times, and patted her cheeks. Krystal's eyes; however, followed the figure, as it took from. Krystal dropped her drink, as her eyes grew wide in fear.

            “It couldn't be; he's dead.” Krystal shrieked in her mind. “Calvin is dead”

 Krystal desperately pushed her way through the crowd of sweaty bodies, trying to get away. Krystal could feel Calvin's eyes follow her every move. Krystal turned back to look at Calvin. He stood there in a dark corner, his face adorned with a malicious grin, and his eyes full of hate.

A hand grabbed Krystal's arm; Krystal sunk to the ground shrieking, her eyes clouded with tears. Krystal looked up to see Baekhyun, Chanyeol's best friend, holding her arm, with a perplexed look on his face. Baekhyun helped her up, and said something Krystal couldn't hear. Therefore, she simply nodded, and quickly looked for an exit.

Krystal found herself standing out on the porch. It was cold outside, but she didn't mind. She looked around, and found a cold wooden bench. Krystal sat down, took off her jacket to cover her lap, and brought her knees to her chest. Krystal rested her head on her knees, and closed her eyes.

☾❀☽

             “Krystal?” A booming voice called out her name.

Krystal jerked her head up; her body tensed, her eyes wide and alert as she looked towards the direction of the voice that had called her name. Krystal relaxed, as she smiled at her best friend.

            “What are you doing here?”  Krystal questioned, “And, why do you have that jar?”

            “Nothing, I was just in the neighborhood.” Chanyeol said with a sheepish smile. “So, I decided to drop by and say 'Hi'.”

Chanyeol took a seat next to Krystal. She pursed her lips together.  Krystal knew, he was lying.

            “What's up with the jar?” Krystal scrunched her nose, and let out a sneeze.

            “Whoa, there! You're going to catch a cold.” Chanyeol said, as he covered his face with his hands.

            “How long have you been out here?”

Krystal shrugged, as she stretched her legs. She felt Chanyeol's warm hand touch her shoulder. Krystal leaned away, causing Chanyeol to frown.

             “Your lips are turning blue.” Chanyeol stated, as he touched, her bottom lip with his finger.

            “So?” Krystal retorted.

            “You , you know.” Chanyeol said flatly, while he ed his black jacket.

Krystal stuck her tongue out, only to receive the jacket thrown to her face. Krystal awkwardly put on the jacket, as Chanyeol chuckled. The jacket was huge, yet it was very warm.

             “So... what happened in there?” Chanyeol asked, as he pointed to the direction of the party. He leaned close to Krystal, and she tried to lean away.

Krystal gazed at him confused. Krystal observed Chanyeol's face. Although, he had a smile on his face, his eyes showed concern. It was the first time, she had notice this. Chanyeol was good at lying; Krystal knew this, but so was she.

Krystal was thinking of a lie to tell, but she had the feeling Chanyeol knew already. Baekhyun, had probably told him.

Krystal took a deep breathe, “I’ll tell you; if, you tell me what's up with the jar.” She bargained.

            “I'll start from the beginning. You have to promise you won't tell anyone”

Chanyeol nodded his head, and placed the jar in between his legs. Chanyeol stuck out his pink, and Krystal hesitantly took it. Krystal bit her lips, as she tried to find the right words. How could she tell him what she had held in her heart for so long? Chanyeol could listen and never judge. Krystal believe it was Chanyeol's special gift. Perhaps, it's the reason why she felt so comfortable around him.

☾❀☽

Krystal inhaled deeply, as if trying to catch the air that had escaped her lungs. Her tears fell freely down her cheeks. She had removed herself from Chanyeol's hold, and returned to her previous position.

            “Krystal," Chanyeol voiced, as he whipped her tears with the balls of his fist.

Krystal looked at him; she was afraid, he would feel sorry for her. She didn't want his sympathy.  

            “You shouldn't be too hard on yourself. What happened back then shouldn't affect who you are now. His death... it shouldn't affect you at all. He's a monster, who doesn't deserve a single thought from you. But I do think you should be thankful." Chanyeol honestly voiced.

Krystal looked at her friend confused, and a bit hurt. Anger was evident on Krystal’s face. How could she be thankful? He had ruined her life. It was his fault she felt so hurt.

            “Don’t look at me like that. Hear me out.” Chanyeol pleaded. “Look, I didn't say you should be thankful towards him. I think you should be thankful towards life. Life gave you another chance to live. You're here now; living."

Krystal could hear the glass breaking in her ears. The sound of realization crashing down. 

Back home, her parents took her and Jessica to a therapist. The therapist would try to make Krystal express her anger towards Calvin, and towards the world. She couldn't. Krystal couldn't vent what she didn't feel. She was assigned medicine. Pills she refuse to take and never took.

Krystal was about to open , when Chanyeol placed his index finger on her trembling lips. He then used his other finger to tap his ear. He was instructing her to listen.

            “Youngie, “Chanyeol interrupted. “When his ghost comes to haunt you; promise me that you will ignore it, and focus on the great things life has given you here in Seoul. You have amazing friends here, and you live comfortably. Don't focus on the negative."

Krystal looked out to into the dark yard as well. Krystal felt very light. To be honest, she felt peace in her soul.

☾❀☽

Krystal was walking home with Chanyeol. She didn’t feel like staying at the party, and Chanyeol wasn’t exactly in the mood to have fun, so they decided to leave.

The pair walked through the crowded streets in silence. Krystal didn’t mind, she liked the silence amongst the loud people.  Krystal also loved how the city looked at night. The light gleamed like diamonds, as they walked by.

Krystal noticed how closed Chanyeol walked next to her. Usually there was a small gap between them. They hardly walked side by side. He carried the empty jar, like a child on his hip.  Krystal eyed the jar, she had seen it before on his windowsill full of cranes.

As they got closer to Krystal’s neighborhood, she noticed how much Chanyeol fidgeted with the jar. He tapped the lid, like if it was a drum, or he’d toss it back and forth in his hands, like a football.

            “Youngie.” Chanyeol called out; causing Krystal to halt.

            “Close your eyes, and give me your hand” Chanyeol instructed.

Krystal turned around to face Chanyeol, and she did what she was told.

            “Here.” Krystal heard him say.

Krystal felt his hand on hers, and she frowned in confusion, when she felt a piece a paper on her palm.

            “Feel it.” Chanyeol ordered.

Krystal took the piece of paper with her free hand. Perplexed, she used her fingertips slowly to trace the outline. Krystal tried to create an image in her head.

Krystal felt pointy ends of the paper; shortly after, her fingertips outlined what she presumed to be a neck. Then she felt the way the body slightly expanded to the sides, like flappy pointed wings.

Krystal knew what it was; she was familiar with the shape.

            “Youngie,” Chanyeol interrupted. “You can open your eyes now.”

Krystal eyes fluttered opened. She looked at the blue paper crane on her hand, and back Chanyeol.

             “Why are you giving me this?” She said in disbelief. “Wasn’t this for your collection?”

Krystal looked at her best friend, he looked nervous, and uncomfortable.

            “Promise me you won’t get mad at me” Chanyeol cautioned.
            “Hmm?” Krystal lightly hummed, as she outlined the crane’s shape.

            “And you swear you won’t tell anyone.”
            “I swear.”

There was another pause. Krystal bit her lip in confusion. She looked at Chanyeol, who scratched the back of his head, and then pulled on his fingers.

            “About that...” Chanyeol paused.

            “Since you shared your deepest secret. I’ll share mine. Of course, they don’t compare, but it is something.” He rambled.

            “Okay?”

            “You know, how every time you’d ask me, if I liked someone,”

            “Yeah?” Krystal tilted her head sideways, and furrowed her eyebrows.

            “And every time I’d say, ‘She doesn’t come to this school.’ Well I lied. She totally goes to our school.”

            “Oh…” Krystal stood there in silence. She wasn’t surprised at all. She had a felling the girl, he liked went to their school. However, she could never pinpoint, who she was.

            “Um...” Chanyeol tapped the empty jar with his fingers. “Im Jinah, is the name of the girl I like.”

            “Jinah?!” Krystal exclaimed. “Im Jinah, as in the baseball player?!”

            “Yeah, well she goes by Nana now.” Chanyeol said, shrugging.

            “You like her? How come you never told me?!” Krystal said, taken aback.

            “Victoria.” Chanyeol confessed.

            “Vic?”

Krystal took a moment, and it all clicked. Victoria hated Nana, and she hated anyone, who had anything to do with her.

            “But Vic wouldn’t hate you!” Krystal protested. “You’re our friend, and my best friend. She can’t!”

Chanyeol shook his head, “Their rivalry blinds both of them. They hate each other to the core. Victoria can’t even stand the sight of Nana, you know that.” He sighed. “Victoria is too stubborn, and she would want you guys to side with her.”

            Krystal wanted to protest, but she knew Chanyeol had a point. Victoria’s stubborn attitude would cause problems with people, who weren’t use to it. Victoria wasn’t an easy person to get close to, not after her problem with Nana.

            “I can’t avoid falling in love with Nana.” Chanyeol blurted.

            “In love?” Krystal reiterated

            “Love, like, what’s the difference?” Chanyeol interjected.

Chanyeol looked helpless in front of Krystal. The hurt in his eyes, made Krystal’s heart pound. She wanted to erase the pain he carried. She wanted to see the happy gleam in his eyes that she loved. But how could she?

            “It doesn’t matter now. She apparently has a boyfriend now.” He blurted out.

Chanyeol’s sudden confession, made another wall of glass shatter inside of Krystal. She wanted to reach over him, and hug him, but she didn’t dare. Krystal placed her hand on his shoulder, and gripped it lightly.

            “I folded all of these paper cranes, for this day. I was going to ask Nana out. I thought she liked me back. She seemed interested, but I guess she only likes me, when she needs me.”

            “What did you do the cranes?”  Krystal asked, “Why is the jar empty and why did you give me this blue crane?”

            “I gave them all away to some kids, after I met her boyfriend.” Chanyeol sighed, as he placed the jar on the floor. “And I couldn’t give the blue crane away.  It’s the first crane you made, it wouldn’t be fair to you.”

Krystal nodded and put the paper crane inside the pocket of the jacket she was wearing.  It had been Nana, this whole time. Krystal felt anger boiling in her chest. Krystal knew, if she saw Nana at school, she would gladly give her a piece of her mind; but couldn’t do that to Chanyeol.

            “So…. at the amusement park the girl was Nana?” Krystal inquired.

            “Yeah. She didn’t feel well, after losing to Victoria, and she wanted to have a fun day. So we skipped school. ” Chanyeol said shyly. “ We went really far, I didn’t think we’d run into you. When I saw you I froze. I felt like I got caught stealing.” He finished off laughing.

Krystal laughed with Chanyeol, and lightly punched his arm. Chanyeol dramatically winced, and rubbed his arm.

They resumed walking, and Chanyeol draped one arm around Krystal’s neck, while Krystal held his arm with his hand. Krystal laughed at the dumb things Chanyeol would point out, as they walked deeper into the neighborhood.

Krystal promised she would never tell anyone about Nana, and Chanyeol promised he would never tell anyone about her secret.

Krystal wasn’t going to allow the monster of the past take hold of her again. Maybe by opening to Chanyeol, she would soon be able to open up to her friends, and truly be herself. Krystal smiled, as she looked up at Chanyeol, he was showing her how to be free.  


LONG TIME NO SEE!! * plays T.O.P.'s Doom Da Da*
 I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter~!
Here's a link to Calvin's story : http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/780507/
I made it into a seprate story beacuse I didn't want to have a lengthy chapter.
Till next time,
 Love, 

Jewels03~