Preview: Year 2011

A Best Friend's Confession.

Year 2011: Truths and Summer Programs

╰☆╮

            Krystal was preparing dinner for her son. He was going to arrive home any time soon, and she wanted to have the food ready for him. She was adding the finishing spices to her pasta, when Kai barged into the house, threw his backpack and duffle on the floor, and stormed off to his room. Krystal peeked out from the kitchen with a perplexed expression as she looked at the floor stained with her son’s shoe prints. Did he have a bad day at practice? She thought. Krystal took off her apron, turned off the stove, and walked towards her son’s room.

            Krystal lightly knocked on his door, but she didn’t get an answer. She pursed her lips, and debated on what to do, she didn’t want to invade his privacy, yet she also didn’t want him to distance himself and not deal with what was bugging him.

            “Kai, I’m coming in.” Krystal said softly, but loud enough for her son to hear.

            She found Kai laying on his bed with his face down. She sat on the edge of his bed, and patted his back. Kai only groaned, and turned his head to face his mother. His eyes were still shut, and Krystal placed her hand on his forehead.

            “Are you feeling ill?” She questioned, as she rubbed his forehead.

            “No, but my chest hurts.” Kai replied softly. “I don’t think medicine can cure it, mama.”

            “Would you care to tell me?” Krystal laid down next to her son, and faced him.

            “Did you ever feel jealous about other women, when you were with my dad?”

            The question startled Krystal, but she thought back when she was with her ex-husband. She never did feel jealous, it wasn’t because she didn’t love him. It’s just that she trusted him to be around other women. She also knew that a love based on jealousy wasn’t a healthy one.

            Krystal told this to her son, and Kai felt silent. He didn’t look hurt, since he knew that when his parents were together they loved themselves very much.

            “Then why do I feel this way, when Ellin is around other guys?” Kai said as though he was thinking out loud. “I know, I’m her best friend, but still. I can’t seem to get this feeling of betrayal, when she’s around other guys.”

            Krystal chuckled a bit. “Did something happen today?”

            “Don’t laugh! This isn’t funny!” Kai’s face contorted into a frown. “And yes, something did happen.” He sat up and looked at his mother. “See, there’s this guy, who just happened to live right next door to her. Ellin being the kind hearted noob, she is, decided to invite him to our dance rehearsals, so that he could get to know people.”

            Krystal rested her head on her son’s pillow, and listened to him attentively.

            Kai continued, “It just so happens that they spent the whole day together, because she was nice enough ‘to show him around.’” He made air quotations with his hands. “During rehearsals, she didn’t practice her new dance steps, because she was too busy showing him the steps, so he could catch up.”

            “I don’t see anything wrong with that. She’s being nice.”

            “Being nice? Mom, being nice is showing him around, that’s it. That is nice. But integrating him into our group of friends, and playing it off as nice? That isn’t cool.” He snarled a bit. “Ellin laughed at anything he said, and she would whisper into his ear, and they would laugh. She told that I didn’t have to bother with walking her home now, since her stupid little friend, Kiu, was going to walk her home from now on.”

            “Kiu? What an interesting name” Krystal said smiling.

            “Interesting? It’s a stupid name. Kiu?” Kai curled his lips, and rolled his eyes. “Ellin shouldn’t be around losers like that. She’s too cool and she will waste her time. Plus, she doesn’t know him, what if he’s a creep or a ?”

            Krystal sat up and looked at her son for a long time. She smiled and petted his hair, as though she understood, where he was coming from. Then she grabbed Kai by the ear and twisted it. She let go of his ear, slapped his arm, and back repeatedly. Kai tried to cover himself, he let a series of “ows” and “stops”, but Krystal wouldn’t.

            “It’s not for you to decided who she can and cannot hangout with, you hear? I don’t want you to talk about another person like that. I’ve taught you better.” She said breathlessly. “Also, you’re talking from a nasty place in your heart. If you actually get to know the guy, you might be surprised that he isn’t such a bad guy.”
             Kai nodded and hung his head down, ashamed to face his mom. He knew that his mother was right.

            “But you said, you never felt jealousy. How can you say he’s a good guy?”

            “I learned from mistake.” Krystal confessed to her son. “I tell you the story as we eat dinner. How does that sound?”

            Kai nodded and stood up. “I am kind of hungry.” Kai admitted as he rubbed his stomach.

            Krystal stood up and gave her son a big hug, Maybe that’s another reason why you were in such a bad mood.”

            They both walked towards the kitchen, and Kai tried to give his mother more reasons as to why he disliked Kiu, but Krystal wouldn’t hear it. 

    ╰☆╮


The full chapter will be up soon!
Thank you for your patience!
Love,
Jewels03