The Bet

forever second best.

 

 

 


(Taec)

 

9.30PM.

I stared out of the window of our favourite restaurant with Khunnie’s favourite dishes spread out on the table.

‘Sir. We’re going to close in 15 minutes’ time. Would you like us to pack your food into takeaway boxes for you?’ He asked.

I looked up and saw the waiter.

‘Yes please, that would be nice. Thank you.’


 

*
 

(Khun)

‘Oh my gawd. Taec, I’m sooooo sorry!’ I exclaimed apologetically as I found him outside the restaurant that was already closed for the day.

He chuckled and held up the takeaways, showing me that he didn’t want me to go home not eating the food I was actually craving for.

We walked to a nearby park and laid the food down along the benches, and started eating.

‘So, how was work today?’ Taec spoke.

I sighed. ‘It kinda .’

‘Hmmm why?’

‘The minister of defence asked me to cater food for I don’t know how many people for the defence board meeting that’s coming up soon.’

‘Isn’t that a good thing?’

‘No… not really. Just added more pressure and stress on both my colleagues and myself,’ I continued, ‘what about you? How’s the airport today? Any of those kind of customers?’

He laughed. ‘Nope not many, the usual I guess. Since there were quite a couple of delays and ups. Oh wells, part and parcel of my job scope.’

‘Mhmm that’s good.’

‘Hey.’

‘Yeah?’ Taec replied.

‘Why did you say it’s not possible for you to fall for me?’

Taec coughed, obviously taken aback by my question.

‘Why the sudden question, Khun? Feeling insecure?’ he scoffed.

‘Well, yeah I guess. The minister mentioned that he would like to introduce a couple of girls to me since I’m already 25, and you know… I’m not dating or anything.’

‘Oh…’

‘So yes, why?’ I questioned again.

‘Don’t you remember what happened back in high school?’ he said laughing.

 

~flashback~
 

‘And so our class mascot should be a white bulldog.’ Khun, the president of the class, concluded.

‘But I feel that our class mascot should be unique, like a green cat.’ Taec rebutted.

‘Green cats are so gay, Taec. Grow up, will you?’ Khun scoffed at Taec’s idea.

‘Fine, let’s just put it on vote.’ Someone shouted.

‘Fine, let’s vote.’ Khun agreed. Taec only nodded.

 

’Six…teen votes for the green cat.’ One of their classmates announced, signalling the victory of the green cat over the white bulldog in a class of twenty students. The boys who were supporting Taec broke into cheers and laughter. Surprised that he lost the vote to one of the biggest nerds in the class where he should have gotten more votes because he was the flower boy, Khun fumed in rage.

‘How is it… possible?’ He whispered, still in utter bewilderment.

‘Hey Khun, too bad you lost this time~’

‘Yeah too bad, Khun.’

‘Yeah, maybe next time you could win Taec.’

‘You shouldn’t even be angry at all, isn’t Taec the vice-president? Shouldn’t he have some credits and contribution to the class?’

‘SHUT THE UP.’ Khun hollered and threw a chair at them, storming out of the classroom.

‘What the hell is his problem?’

‘Menstruation?’ that answer earned many hits on the head.

Other reasons started to surface in an attempt to explain Khun’s behaviour, but nobody realised that Taec had disappeared along with Khun.

 

He followed Khun all the way back home, maintaining a distance from him even though he was aware that Khun knew that he was being followed. As Khun approached the main gate, Taec walked up and leaned against the wall.

‘If you are here to gloat about your success and what , I suggest you don’t waste any of our time and off.’ Khun scorned.

‘You are… actually not that bad you know.’ Taec started.

‘What…?’

‘I said you’re not that bad, like courageous and carefree…’

‘Look, I’m not upset or…’ Khun tried to reason.

‘Don’t misunderstand. Although I’m gay, it’s impossible for me to fall for you.’ Taec stated clearly.

Khun squinted his eyes. Did this nerd say that it was impossible for him to fall for him? Okay, that was pretty much an insult, since Khun was the flower boy in school and he had an endless line of suitors, and here comes a nerd saying that he would never fall for him? What the hell?

‘Well, thank you, I’m forever grateful.’ Khun replied, before storming into the house and slamming the door.
 

~end of flashback~

 

‘Khun ah~ which symptoms of old age are you displaying already? You easily forget things that happened recently, but you still remember, in clear detail, things that happened eons ago.’ Taec teased.

‘WELL, THANK GOODNESS YOU WON’T FALL IN LOVE WITH ME. PFFT.’ I replied, throwing a child-like fit because of what he said.

‘Aish, you’re so cute. Do you want your present?’ That caught my attention.

‘Yesssssss.’ I raised my arms towards Taec to receive my presents with much eagerness.

I slowly unwrapped the beautifully packaged box, only to find a weird lion figurine in it.

‘Ok… Taecyeon… what is this?’ I asked, clutching the figurine and holding it in front of his face.

‘It’s a lion?’ he offered.

I rolled my eyes, ‘yes, I can see that it’s a lion, Taec. I can see that perfectly well. But what is this for?’

He shrugged and continued, ‘I don’t know… its personality is pretty similar to yours, so yeah that’s why I got it.’

Gently, I placed the figurine back into the box and raised my hand to hit Taec’s back hard.

‘WHAT THE HELL TAEC?! LION? So what, I’m fierce, mean and scary huh? That’s why everyone thinks I can’t get married huh?’ I challenged.

‘Ouch, you Khun,’ he rubbed his back, with pain still written all over his face, ‘no, it’s not that you’re fierce, mean and scary. A lion is definitely more significant than that! It means that you’re brave, loyal and possessive. Which isn’t a bad thing alright!’

‘Fine. Tsk.’ I hoped I left a bruise on his back.

‘Khun…’

‘Hmmm?’

‘Let’s make a bet.’ Taec suggested.

‘Okay, what are we betting on?’ I sat up, finding some sort of interest in this bet that Taec’s offering.

‘Before we’re 28, whoever gets married first, gets a 50,000,000 won as a red packet.’

I paused to think for a moment and clapped my hands, raising my ten fingers, suggesting otherwise.

‘No, 100,000,000 won.’ I retaliated.

‘Alright.’ He agreed without much hesitation, ‘you think I’m scared?’

‘You’re definitely gonna lose.’ I instigated him, laughing because I was definitely a better-looking candidate compared to Taec.

 

So yes, we shall see who gets married first.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Thoughts? any guesses for who's gonna get married first nyahahaha