Closer

forever second best.

A/N: Will proof-read when i'm free, till then, enjoy (:


 

 

(Khun)

 

My eyes sprung open, and the sudden burst of light overwhelmed me, making me groan in regret as I shut my eyes again. I tried to make sense of what happened last night, but it all seemed like a swirling mess in my head. I could feel the heat rays of the sun reaching for me through the window, the still cold air in the room and a very soft snoring next to my ear. I opened my eyes for a second time and turned my head, only to see Taec still soundly sleeping. His eyelashes fluttered a little as I shifted to face him.  My eyes gently traced his well-defined features, somewhat long eyelashes, neatly trimmed eyebrows. High cheekbones, flawless skin, pale pink lips. Had he always looked this handsome? While I was so caught up with my thoughts, I didn’t realise Taec had already woken up.

 

I glanced up unknowingly.

Only to have his eyes locked with mine.

And then time stopped.

 

Brown orbs that bore right into my soul, his steady breath against my skin. My heart skipped a beat and then it started thumping faster and faster. I couldn’t even fathom my thoughts. All I knew was that we were barely a heartbeat away from each other and I was… staring at my best friend, eye ing him without any hesitation. Which I honestly shouldn't be doing.

 

‘Khun….’

‘Huh?’ I blinked, still staring.

‘My arm's quite numb...’ He mumbled.

I tried to process what he was saying, like why was he telling me that his arm was numb. He shifted his body a little in discomfort and then I realised I was laying on his arm the entire time. Wait, I WAS SLEEPING ON HIS ARM? I snapped out of my daze and bolted off the bed immediately, landing right front of the dressing table.

Taec gradually moved his arm, flexing it to get some blood into his numb limb. He slowly sat up and gave me a cheesy smile before greeting me ‘good morning’ in his husky and y morning voice.

'M...morning,' I managed to say with much difficulty. This was so awkward. I was sleeping on his arm the entire night. We were so darn close to each other. Hell, we could've even kissed if either of us moved a little closer to the other. And I was eye ing my best friend. What the hell was I doing? I’m definitely going mad.

 

*

The car ride back home was silent and awkward and silent. I looked out of the window trying to ignore the weird atmosphere we had between us, while Taec quietly drove the car.

‘Hey we’re here,’ Taec announced as he pulled the car over in front of my house.

I stiffened as I snapped out of my daze. ‘Ah yeah okay,’ I mumbled as I got off. My feet touched the ground with a soft thud. I sighed and quickly turned around to grab my luggage out of the backseats only to find myself in a mini tug-of-war with Taec.

‘Khun ah!’ He held onto the luggage on his side, ‘I’ll take it out from my side, it’s closer to the door.’

I looked up past the roof of the car and saw the main gates, ‘ah right. Okay,’ I hastily let go, and walked over to get the luggage from him.

‘Um… so yeah. Go on in,’ Taec whispered, biting his lips. I nodded and pulled my luggage in without even looking back.

 

*

‘You alright?’ a concern voice from behind asked.

‘Huh yeah. Why?’ I mumbled as I vigorously scrubbed the toilet bowl.

‘What are you nervous about huh Khun? You only scrub this hard when you’re nervous about something,’ my mom stated.

‘I’m not…. Nervous…’

‘You sure…?’

‘Ya! I’m fine!’ I snapped not wanting her to ask me any more questions, and picked up my phone and stared at the screen.

‘Should I give him a call… or should I drop him a message…’ I thought, ‘but it was already so awkward this morning….’ Lost in my thoughts, the abrupt vibrations of my phone gave me a scare, and my fingers lost its grip and it went down the toilet bowl. ‘!’ I screamed while clutching the back of my neck in utter frustration. First I found myself sleeping in Taec’s arms, then now I dropped my phone into the toilet bowl, can this day get any worse?

‘But… this morning… His god-like features, slow warm breath against my skin. His body heat, his heartbeat. It was almost like our bodies were made for each other, my body fitted right into his, though it wasn’t a full embrace. But what I am thinking,’ I scoffed as I reached for my wet phone, ‘we’re just friends. Best friends the most. I shouldn’t be thinking like that, he doesn’t like me that way.’

 

*

(Taecyeon)

 

Eyes.

His eyes.

That beautiful set of eyes.

Staring right into mine.

I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration, and shut my eyes tight. I was going mad. His stare is still piercing through my thoughts. Everywhere, everything, regardless of what I do, his stare just keeps appearing in my head. It looked lost, hopeless, but it was filled with love, lust and many other things.

‘Argh,’ I threw the towel that was hanging around my neck onto the wall. It was pure frustration. He was staring at me. Nichkhun Buck Horvejkul was staring right at me, for an unknown amount of time. And I stared right back at him. I must have been goddamn mad to stare right back. But… it was like perfect. That whole scene. He in my arms, waking up to the sunlight which seeped in. Not moving, not talking, just basking, embracing in each other’s warmth and being contented just like that.

As I stared at the wall with images from all my travels, I can’t help but feel that it was so wrong at the same time. He doesn’t like me that way, and maybe he’ll never see me that way. But how can something feel so right, so perfect yet feel this wrong at the same time? The want for something, for that someone but he just doesn’t see me that way. I sighed loudly and turned to my wardrobe, opening it to choose my shirt for my work.

‘Beep beep.’ I glanced at my mobile before picking it up.

‘Hello?’

‘Taecyeon-ah!’

‘Oh, hello Eomonim~’ I greeted Khun’s mom, and I carried on picking the shirt I was going to wear.

‘Taecyeon-ah, are you free tomorrow morning? My computer has been acting weirdly, and I would like you to help me check it out.’

‘Ah, tomorrow morning? Yeah okay, I’ll head over at around 9am to help you~ Mmm yes okay, goodbye see you tomorrow~’ I hung up and stared hard at my phone. Tomorrow. Khun’s place. His piercing stare. I groaned at the thought and the amount of awkwardness that was going to be between us.

 

*

(The next day)

I glanced at the computer, the amount of sites advertisement windows that was popping up from the screen was plain hilarious.

‘Taecyeon-ah! Can it be fixed? If you can’t then I’ll just send it to the repair store.’

‘Ah no it’s fine,’ I looked up at Khun’s mom and smiled, ‘it seems like there’s a small virus in the computer, I’ll just run the anti-virus program and it should be fine after that.’

‘Virus? How did it get into the computer? Nobody in the family’s sick…’ Khun’s mom frowned in confusion.

‘Emonim, it’s a different kind of virus from the one that we humans get. This virus is probably from the downloads made, that’s why there’s so many pop-up windows.’ I laughed.

‘Ah…. But I didn’t download anything, maybe Khun’s dad downloaded them,’ His mom glanced at his dad sternly.

‘Why don’t you stay for lunch?’ Khun’s mom suggested.

I checked my watch, ‘sure, why not?’

‘Speaking of lunch, I wonder where did Nichkhun go. He left the house early this morning and he isn’t back yet. Ah talking about him, he finally appears!’ Khun’s mom exclaimed as Khun walked into the living room. I gave him a quick smile and a small wave, he barely smiled back.

‘Where did you go?’ Khun’s mom asked.

‘Why is he here?’ Khun shot a glance at his mom.

‘What do you mean by ‘why is he here?’ Taecyeon is here because someone would make time for me and help me repair my computer. Taecyeonie is such a kind and filial boy, unlike you! On top of that he spent his morning wisely by helping me, what about you huh? Where did you go?’

Khun gave his mom the stare and looked back at me, before tossing a brochure roughly onto the table.

‘Eomonim don’t say that to Khun…’ I tried to stop her, before things got any worse between us.

‘I went for an exhibition. To get some sort of an inspiration for my cooking. Happy?’ Khun sarcastically explained and walked back into his room.

I looked at his disappearing back, and picked up the brochure, giving it a thorough look before continuing what I was doing with the computer.

 

*

As I strolled through the galleries of the exhibition, I came to understand what he meant by inspiration. Abstract art, resulting in abstract food creations. Khun ah, if I saw the world that you’re seeing, walked down the paths that you walked through, could I then get closer to you?