The First Meeting

forever second best.

 

 

(Khun)

 

‘Hello, I’m Jang Wooyoung!’ A young and (really) pretty boy with doe-liked eyes and mandu cheeks, stood in front of me.

As I looked at him, I took a deep breath in and introduced myself, ‘Hello, I’m Nichkhun.’

‘I always hear Taecyeon hyung talk about you, and we finally meet, Khun hyung!’

Khun hyung? Wow, just wow, who gave him the permission to call me that. My eyes flickered to Taec, signing to him that this Wooyoung person didn’t give me a really great first impression.

‘Er, let’s go sit,’ Taec placed his hands on Woo’s shoulder, showing him the table we were at.

‘Sorry,’ he mumbled after Woo went to the table, leaving just the both of us.

‘Then have you reported to the newspapers about this Khun hyung already or not?’ I sneered with much sarcasm, feeling annoyed already. I didn’t like people talking about me before meeting me, it’s a prejudgement thing, and what’s more I didn’t appreciate people calling me ‘hyung’ when we barely knew each other.

‘Sorry Khunnie’ he bit his lips.

I just sighed, already forgiving Taec and made my way to the table, sitting opposite Woo while Taec took his place next to him.

‘What reports are you referring to? My friend works at the newspapers, maybe, she can be of help.’ Woo offered.

I smirked, this was going to be a long night.

‘It’s nothing really,’ Taec replied him. ‘What would you like to eat?’

‘I’m sooo hungry,’ he exclaimed as he picked up the menu to take a look. ‘Mmmm can I order a lot?’ looking at Taec with that set of puppy eyes.

‘Just order what you like, I’ll pay.’ He encouraged.

‘Yay!’ Woo cheered, with much enthusiasm. As though he noticed the silence between Taec and me, he said, ‘You guys continue talking. Don’t bother about me.’

‘Actually, we were almost done talking,’ I stated.

‘Is that so?’ his eyes widened in curiosity. ‘Then, can I ask you guys anything?’

I looked up at him from my drink, and wondered what kind of questions he was going to ask.

‘Khun hyung and Taecyeon hyung, how did you guys know each other?’

‘University mates.’

‘High school mates.’

Mentally face-palming myself, Taec why did you have to say something different from me.

‘So… it’s from high school till university?’ Woo questioned.

I nodded, as Taec hummed in acknowledgment.

‘Wow, such affinity between you two!’

‘More like an ill-fated relationship,’ I scoffed.

‘Because, in his previous life, he was a brave warrior who saved my life, the local ruffian gangster. So, in this life, I’m here to pay a debt of gratitude,’ Taec explained our little inside joke, the one that my mom used to describe our relationship. Our eyes met, and we both giggled at how silly it sounded. Woo stared at us, not really getting any of it.

‘Ah, I want to eat the yam noodles!’ Woo finally decided.

Taec looked up at me again, and I stared back at him before shifting my eyes onto Woo. ‘So, you also like this kind of food that went through many processes.’

‘Huh? Went through a process?’ Woo stared me, confused over my comment.

Taec cleared his throat, ‘it’s very delicious. You should definitely try it.’

 

*

(3rd person POV)

 

As Woo stirred his noodles and started to dig in, Khun seized the opportunity to converse with Taec again.

‘Hey, a few days ago I received Jirin’s call. She got a divorce.’

‘Why?’ Taec asked in surprise.

‘Her husband had an affair.’

‘Is that so…?’

‘Sorry to interrupt but do Taecyeon hyung want some more sake?’ Woo butted in, holding an empty jug in his hands.

‘Yep I’m cool. How about you?’ Taec looked at Khun.

‘I’m okay too.’

‘Alright! Excuse me, one bottle of sake please!’ Woo requested in Japanese.

Oh wow, so he knew how to speak Japanese too? Khun smiled at Woo, quite amazed at his language skills.

‘Oh right,’ Taec spoke, ‘Wonjoon’s wedding has been cancelled. Did you hear about it?’

‘Cancelled?!’

‘They seemed to have fought when they were taking their wedding photos or something.’

Khun sighed, ‘after listening to so many terrible news. Should we still continue to make an effort?’

‘If not for…’

‘Excuse me,’ the waiter interrupted Taec and placed a salad bowl on the table.

‘Wah! The Peruvian raw fish salad is here!’ Woo burst out with much glee.  

Khun stared at him and sighed again, he’s such a kid honestly.

‘Uh, I’m so sorry. Please continue and just ignore me.’ Woo insisted before digging in.

Taec smiled at Woo and continued, ‘So as to not get hurt we must make an effort Khun, make an effort to learn from others’ mistakes, make an effort to work hard to reconsider and analyse calmly our options if we have to.’

‘Analyse, analyse,’ he chanted in irritation, ‘do you honestly think that marriage is a mathematical equation that you can calculate the future so accurately?’

‘Even though you can’t calculate the accurate answer, at least you can get some sort of an answer from it. Just like Minam and his wife, from the start I knew that their relationship wouldn’t work.’

‘Why?’

‘Because….’

‘His wife is too old?’ Khun cut him off.

‘That’s not it. Because…’

‘Ohhh, men are always infatuated with those that are forever 23 years old.’ Khun said as he glanced over at Woo, who was diligently putting the raw fish on the bread stick.

‘Like you’re not a guy Khun?’ Taec rolled his eyes at both Khun’s signal and what he had just said. ‘It’s because they had only known each other for a month, and got married in a church in half a year. So, that ‘moment’ was due to their raging hormones, and they couldn’t have had lasted forever.’

He nodded his head and leaned back, finally understanding Taec’s point.

‘Taecyeon hyung, ahhh~’ Woo turned to Taec suddenly, wanting to feed him that slice of bread stick with raw fish that he was preparing just now.

‘Oh, let me do it myself,’ he replied awkwardly. Woo pouted a little and looked back down on his plate.

‘I’m so sorry. Just continue your conversation. After all, I’ve got nothing to do.’ ‘Khun hyung, would you like me to make you a piece of the raw fish salad?’

He forced a smile, ‘no thank you. I’m allergic to this kind of fish.’

‘Huh?’ Is he honestly always this dumb?

‘He doesn’t like it,’ Taec whispered to Woo.

‘Uhmm… so… Minam was your… university classmate?’

‘High school classmate,’ Taec corrected him, before the other could say anything.

‘Oh… Then… Teacher Suk was your high school teacher?’

‘University teacher.’

Khun rolled my eyes, why did Woo care anyway.

‘Oh, heehee, so confusing!’ Woo giggled and placed his head on Taec’s shoulder.

Khun’s eyebrows arched at Woo’s actions, before furrowing them as he heard Taec laugh along with him. This is really getting out of hand, like PDA much?

‘I’m going to the washroom,’ Khun muttered before making his way there.

‘What about Jirin?’ Woo continued to quiz, ‘she is your high school or university classmate?’

‘Uni…eh… high school classmate,’ Taec replied, and half-turned his body, concerned about Khun.

‘Then why did Minam divorce her husband?’

‘Minam’s a guy,’ Taec stated.

‘Huh? Minam’s a man?’

‘Er yeah? Nam… is guy in Korean?’

‘Oh….’

 

*

(Khun)

 

I stared at the mirror in the washroom. Eyebrows furrowed, trying to contain the emotions, which I couldn’t even comprehend, inside of me.

‘You don’t have bone, do you?’ ‘Leaning unsteadily from side to side, what’s more Taec’s shoulder?’ ‘Always laughing… what the is there to laugh or giggle about? Your facial nerves got over developed as you grew?’

‘This Ok Taecyeon’s taste in men is getting worse and worse.’

I took another look at myself again, and wondered aloud, ‘why are you making such an ugly face?’ ‘Taec is as superficial like all the other men in the world, why does it even matter to you?’ ‘So he likes things like yam, which have a sticky and soft feeling, so what does it got to do with you?’

That’s right, I shouldn’t even be feeling this way. But what was this mixed up emotion I’m feeling? I felt as though my brown eyes turned a shade darker as I stared at Woo. That disgustingly beautiful mandu cheeks boy. My teeth clenched and gripped the side of the basin hard. If it had been possible, my eyes would have seared holes through him. I couldn't stand the sight of him, him and his beautiful eyes, chubby cheeks and that irksome giggling. I couldn’t stand him being all cuddly and sticking himself onto my Taecyeon. Taecyeon’s mine from the ing start, who was he to touch him all over?

But then again why am I feeling this way. Isn’t Taec just a friend? Why am I feeling all the anger, spitefulness and that little tinge of jealousy, which I don’t want to acknowledge its existence?

I shouldn’t even be jealous at all, right?

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Sorry for a shorter chapter, i'm gonna split the scene into (hopefully) two long chapters. So yes, jealous Khun for you~ Comments are rlly appreciated and all you silent readers, if you have no guts to comment then drop me a mention on twitter @myboytaec (;