two

A Worth Obsessing Over
He wasn’t that great. “Just replace X with the given number and move all the same variables to one side while keeping the Y value on the other.” To be quite honest, he was all sorts of ‘bad’ when it came to numbers. “Yeah, just like that….so just solve everything from there.” But he swore to every imaginable god on the face of the earth that he’d become the next mathematician that exceeded Isaac Newton himself if it meant getting the scoop on a potential rumor that was worthy of his journal. 
 
“Thanks Daehyun, I think I’m really getting the hang of all this number mumbo jumbo.” Junhong leaned back in his chair with a triumphant grin. 
 
“No problem. Anything for a friend.” The freshman was his friend alright. In fact, they could’ve been considered best-friends to the very end if it wasn’t for a certain cheating snake who got in between. “So what’s been up with you lately? I haven‘t talked to you for a while.” 
 
Junhong shrugged. “Nothing much. Just been dancing with the crew.” 
 
“Really?” Daehyun sounded surprised for good reasons, and it wasn’t because he doubted the younger’s skills; oh no, it was anything but that. His eyes widened by a fraction only because the leader of their crew was currently sporting a black eye. “Yeah. Jimin can be a but he knows I’m too good to be kicked out of the group.” Well, nice to know his ego stayed in tact amidst the brawl. 
 
“That was a real shiner you laid on Jimin.” Eyes shifted off to the side as a little trace of guilt hooded over the other‘s gaze. “I guess. It wasn’t like I wanted to do that to him. I nearly got expelled for a stupid report.” And to think, if a report eaten by a dog could get him that riled up, one can only imagine how Jimin’s face would look like when Junhong discovers the truth behind a step-brother’s ultimate betrayal. “Well…you just can’t control how you feel.” However, the topic of cheats, snakes and liars wasn’t on his agenda at this moment. There was other pressing matter to attend to that was far more important than his a fight between brothers. “But speaking of ‘shiners’ and feelings’…what’s up with Jongup?”
 
As if sparked by a jolt of electricity, Junhong quickly straightened up in his seat and stared at the man that sat across from him. “What about Jongup hyung?”
 
“I seen him this morning. He looked beaten up with that limp of his. Did he sprain his ankle?” They were the ‘double J’ dancing duo that was a force to be reckoned with in the B-Boy scene. They were always together. If Junhong wasn’t around Hyosung, the boy would be seen lisping along side the quiet brunette who thought ‘geek sheek’ was all the rage.
 
“N-No,” He answered nervously, eyes wondering off as if trying to find the answers to all of Daehyun‘s questions. “Oh, so he’s just limping just to limp?” 
 
“Um, well…he’s just -”
 
“And his wrist…his wrist looks kind of bruised too…like someone slammed a door on it or something.” 
 
“It’s not what you think.” And what was Daehyun thinking exactly? He surely was a speculative fellow but never, did Daehyun ever, rush to conclusions unless solid evidence directed him down the path of his assumptions. Running off of rumors alone just wasn‘t his style. “I mean…Jongup hyung’s just really clumsy, that’s all.” 
 
“So the poor boy fell?” Junhong shook his head. “No…I’m just…..I…w-well…I wasn’t supposed to tell anyone.” But Daehyun helped him with his homework which meant he had to give him something that was worth his time. He stayed back after all. School was over and extra curricular activities were already underway with his journalism club waiting for his arrival. “So what happened to him?”
 
“It’s kind of embarrassing but Jongup just fell off my skateboard. He twisted his ankle trying to do a kick-flip and sprained his wrist when he tried to break his fall…that’s all.” If that was the case, then why was he a stuttering mess just seconds ago? 
 
“You’re so lying to me right now.” Like being caught with a hand in the cookie jar, Junhong bolted out of his seat and began gathering his books with a panic look on his face. “I have to go.” 
 
“Wait.” But it was too late. He came and went, taking the heavy atmosphere along with him. The energy of it all didn’t stop there though, because as soon as Junhong left, Youngjae came barging into the empty classroom with widened eyes fraught with the same terror that was on Junhong’s face. “You have to hide.” 
 
“What?” 
 
“Hide.” Youngjae repeated as if demanding it the second time would make him magically understand why he was trying to force him into the supply closet. 
 
“Youngjae…what the hell!” He was shoved! Jung Daehyun was forced to stumble into the darkened room without an explanation behind Youngjae‘s ‘craziness‘. What did he thought was going to happen anyways? A door couldn’t stop him from ing up a storm so why even enclose him in a closet to begin with? 
 
“Where is he?” And just when he was about to cuss Youngjae out, a knot walled at the back of his throat by the sound of Yongguk’s voice. “He?” Youngjae questioned, trying to control his jagged breathes induced by that afternoon’s run. “Jung Daehyun…where is he?” 
 
 
“I don’t know.”
 
“You don’t know?” Yongguk repeated, his patience wearing thin. 
 
“That’s what I said: I don’t know.” 
 
“You two are joined at the hip most of the time, so why should I even believe you?”
 
“And how would you know that?” Where was this dude getting his information? It was like he was shadowing the original masters of stalking. “I have my sources.” 
 
'Ugh! That line again.'
 
“We’ll you’re sources are wrong because I don’t know where he is.” If Yongguk expected Youngjae to give up his best friend’s whereabouts by an intimidating stare alone than he was way out of his league with this one. They’d give up each other’s pancreases and a lung to boot if it meant either one of them would survive another day. As the old saying goes: They were like brothers from another mother. “And even if I did know…I wouldn’t tell you.” 
 
Just when he thought Yongguk was about ready to grab at the collar of his shirt and slam him back into a wall like kdrama thugs do, the older male threw him a curve ball as he smirked at the brave soul he soon walked passed. He entered further into the room, his composure getting on Youngjae’s nerves once the silence lasted past the 2 minute mark. He was just walking from desk to desk, looking around as if Daehyun was going to appear out of nowhere. “He’s not the type to heed my warning.” Yongguk stated mater-of-factly. “Jung Daehyun is the type who likes playing games, isn‘t that right?” 
 
Youngjae crossed his arms over his chest. “I don’t know.” He answered sassily. “Why don’t you ask your sources since they seem so reliable?” 
 
And the Scoreboard began:
Youngjae: 1 
Yongguk: 0 
 
An even wider grin spread across the intimidating male’s face as he walked from one row to the next. “I did actually.” Oh god, what is that supposed to mean? “He keeps a low profile around school, but when he’s out and about, he can actually stand out from the crowd for reasons that I don‘t entirely understand as of yet.” That wasn’t anything new. Youngjae was well aware of how good-looking and impressionable Daehyun was. Sure, he was quiet at school and he kept his nose out of other people’s business when it didn’t involve their book, but that didn’t mean his mysterious charm didn’t get girls and guys alike ‘going’. If he wanted to, Daehyun could be the next ‘Jimin’ in a snap of a finger. 
 
“You two have an agenda…that much I know.” Yongguk stopped near the desk Daehyun had occupied just minutes ago. 
 
He stared at Youngjae from there, the air about him intensifying by the eyes that locked onto the nervous writer who felt as if breathing became the most labor intensive task his body couldn‘t withstand. “Everyone has an agenda. After all, life without one would just be boring.”
 
Scoreboard
Youngjae: 2
Yongguk: 0
 
“Is that so?” Why couldn’t he leave? Why couldn’t Yongguk just get his rich out of the junior corridor and get back to where seniors belonged? “I guess that means I have to create an agenda of my own.” And just like that, without a single care in the world, Yongguk grabbed at the backpack that was on the desk and slung it over his shoulder as if he already claimed it as his own. “Yah!” Youngjae took a step toward him but the narrow slits of Yongguk’s eyes stopped him from approaching him any further. “That’s not yours.” He stated, eyeing the bag that had Daehyun’s name literally written all over it. “He has something of mines and now I have something of his. It’s a fair trade.” 
 
What else could Youngjae do but watch Yongguk walk out of the classroom with Daehyun’s bag in hand? It wasn’t like he had the muscle to tackle the basketball star. And even if he had the gonads to do just that, he’d only be putting himself on every fan girls hit list if anyone were to ever witness a fight that would obviously end with Youngjae’s face to the floor. 
 
So he let him leave. “The coast is clear.”
 
“You made him take my bag?!” Daehyun hollered as soon as he got out of the closet. 
 
“I made him?” Youngjae retorted. “You so could’ve just came out of the closet and stopped him yourself but noooo~, you were too scared to make a sound.”
 
Daehyun clicked his tongue. “Scared? I’m not scared of him.” 
 
“Says the guy who stayed in the closet.” Okay, so he got a point there but in his defense, Youngjae did push him into the closet first…if that amounted to anything. 
 
“It doesn’t matter.” Making his way to his desk, Daehyun reached into the cubby hole located just beneath the table and took out their journal that was more important than life itself. “It’s not like I’m stupid enough to keep our journal in my bag anyways.” In other words, Yongguk just walked off with a bag full of nothing. 
 
Scoreboard
Youngjae: 2
Daehyun: 1
Yongguk: 0
 
“So everything’s good? You don’t need anything in that bag?” Youngaje questioned, feeling a whirlwind of relief once Daehyun nodded. “Yeah, I don’t need a thing in there. So we can go to our Journalism and Newspaper club and get everything set up before Mr. I-got-lead-in-publishing-because-of-my-pretty-face gets his in a twist.” Daehyun lent out a hand in waiting, Youngjae looking at the open palm like he had no clue what the hell he was supposed to give him. “What?” 
 
“My USB.” 
 
Youngaje raised a brow. “What USB?”
 
“I gave it to you this morning. The USB.” 
 
“Daehyun you didn’t give me a USB.”
 
No. 
 
There was just no way he didn’t give Youngjae the USB. He had to have the USB drive on hand because if he didn’t have it with him than that only meant one thing…“Holy .” Before Youngjae realized what was going on, Daehyun went off into a full blown sprint through the general direction in which he assumed Yongguk took. He looked down corridors, poked his head into empty classrooms and even skidded into both the auditorium and the gymnasium only to find out Yongguk was nowhere in site. It was only when he rammed into the door that led out into the parking lot did he see Yongguk’s red viper pulling out of it’s slot. 
 
“Yah!!”  There was no way in stopping him now. The car  already sped off into the streets with the sound of the engine distancing him and the bag Daehyun had to get his hands on before it was too late. 
 
“Daehyun.” Much like Daehyun, Youngjae was out of breath, hunching over with hands gripping at his knees as if the change in position would earn him the much needed oxygen his lungs yearned for. “What’s in the USB drive?” Daehyun shook his head. “C’mon, tell me what’s in it? Is it the pictures of Yongguk?” Yet again, he shook his head, which ultimately left Youngjae in his own little mist of uncertainty. “Daehyun?!”
 
“It’s worse alright. It’s so much worse!” What could be worse than Yongguk finding his own pictures? “It’s my personal photos.” 
 
“Of what?” Youngjae questioned, already afraid of the possibilities. “O-Of this…um…this girl.” 
 
“Girl? You mean ?” If it was than it wasn’t anything to worry about. Teens their age, especially hormonal guys, had a few sites and folders here and there, so there was no need to fret over something everyone went through. It was natural. “Not . I only wish it was . It’s the girl I was talking about in our Sophomore year.”
 
“The girl from that other school? Kai’s sister?” 
 
“Y-Yeah….that girl.” Oh. My. God. 
 
“You carry that around with you?!” He wanted to blow a gasket. Youngjae wanted so much to explode and strangle the life out of the man who was stupid enough to carry around a bunch of photos he was supposed to burn a year ago. “We have to get it back.” Youngjae stated the obvious.
 
“I know. We’re going to get it back before the sun goes down.”
 
“And how do you propose we pull off that miracle?” 
 
The two turned around as soon as the door they just came out of sounded behind them. As if god was answering their prayers from high up above, Yongguk’s sister and a few of her friends were heading toward their equally expensive and sleek automobiles that reflected Yongguk’s own pricey Viper. They were laughing amongst each other, sharing those little high school secrets in whispers that caught Daehyun’s full attention. “We get someone to get it for us.” 
 
It was a bad idea, such a bad, bad, bad, idea. Daehyun might’ve not given two s about the plans that ran through his head, but Youngjae was too much of a worry wart not to ignore all the possible ways Daehyun’s plans could go wrong.  “Daehyun don’t.”
 
But it was too late. “Noona, can I ask you for a favor?”
 

 
They ducted behind an 7-foot tall brick wall that surrounded the home where their target resided. Daehyun had the corners of his lips quirked into a grin, while a somber look of despair riddled every imperceptible nook and cranny that made up Youngjae’s face. “Yah, this is a bad idea Daehyun.” 
 
“Aish, always getting all hyped up over nothing.” 
 
“Over nothing? We are about to do something illegal.” The brunette hissed. “And what the hell are we even doing? When you said ‘get someone to get it for us’ I didn’t know you actually meant ‘us’.”
 
With a polite smile and a 90 degree bow added right in, Daehyun had asked Bang Myuna  and her friends for a ride. They were surprised at the time, quite taken aback to be more precise, seeing as no one really hand the guts to request such a thing from Yongguk and Jiho's younger sister, but they agreed. Being the socialite of sorts when he wanted to be, Daehyun struck up a conversation in the cawr, made those girls laugh and entertained them all the way to their final destination. The task itself was as simple as getting his money’s worth at an all-you-can-eat buffet. 
 
“You can leave if you want.” Daehyun offered. “I understand if you’re scared.”
 
“I’m not scared and I’m not just going to leave you here.”
 
“Okay then. Since that’s settled…here’s the plan.” With his hands folded over one another and his palms facing toward the clouded skies above, Daehyun assumed the position to hoist Youngjae up and over the wall.
 
Youngjae hesitated however, the brunette looking at him as if he had just lost his mind. “Oh my god. You are seriously going to break into his house.” 
 
“It’s not breaking in if I’m just here to get what belongs to me.”
 
“Daehyun, we are going to jail…we’re going to be and we’re going to drop the ing soap and we’ll just die in there and-”
 
“Youngjae! Shut up! The longer we stand outside of this wall the more of a chance someone will catch us. So are you in or are you out?” What choice did he have? Youngjae stepped on the hands that was offered to him and got himself up on the wall before pulling Daehyun up with him. They made it over without a hitch and now they were sneaking across the driveway like ninjas on a mission. They ducked behind bushes, pressed their backs against trees and dove under windowsills until they finally stood beneath the window they were looking for. 
 
“Are you sure that’s his room?” Daehyun questioned.
 
“Well, that’s the last window I saw him walk past when we were standing in front of his house.” His palms were sweating, his throat dry, and all Youngjae could focus on was the possibility of a conviction that could very much ruin his life. But did Daehyun care or at least show any sign of fear of their impending demise? Of course not. “C’mon Daehyun. I know I was all ‘gun ho’ for this but can we just go to your house? Can I just write in the book and you practice your guitar in a safe and nice atmosphere before we -” 
 
“Youngjae.” He laid mark stress on his name, the impatience already reflecting in the eyes that reminded him far too much of the glare that Yongguk had used on him back at school. “I’m going to do this. You can just wait here while I climb that tree, shimmy myself across that branch and get into the room. It’ll be a piece of cake.” And speaking of cake, he made a mental note to reward himself with cheesecake once everything was done and over with. “Okay, fine. Give me the camera and I’ll wait here while you go and kill yourself for a USB drive.” 
 
Daehyun chuckled as he handed him the camera. “Stop puffing out your already fluffy cheeks. I’ll be okay, I promise.” 
 
With a roll of his eyes, Youngjae took a step back to watch as Daehyun jumped and grabbed onto one of the many branches that protruded from the oak tree. He pulled himself up and continued with that same cautious and speedy approach as he climbed the tree like a monkey anticipating his reward at the base where the branch stretched out to the open window he intended to climb into. 
 
“Daehyun, whatever you do…don’t look down.” Daehyun involuntarily went against Youngjae’s advice as soon as it hit his ear. He looked down the two story drop that made his heart race out of control. 
 
Feeling a bit light-headed, Daehyun braced himself back upon the tree as his spine pressed against the oak his fingers instinctively dug into. ‘Damn it. This is so much more harder than it looked.’ He slowly sank to a sitting position to catch his breath. 
 
He thought everything was going to be smooth sailing from there on out but, as luck would have it, the sounds of footsteps came near as the silhouette of a male’s body came into view. ‘Oh god, not again.’ Did he not like shirts? Was Yongguk so allergic to cotton, that he had to be shirtless every time Daehyun went sneaking around him? It wasn’t fair. A straight man such as himself shouldn’t be exposed to such material that made his cheeks flare up in a heat that was brought about by the fear of getting caught...or so he assumed that was the reason behind it.
 
Leaves and tiny tree branches made it possible for him to go undetected as he was force to watch Yongguk reach up to stream his fingers through his hair. Shoulders tense, back muscles flexed as his deltoids accentuated the fine lines of an arm that was as toned as every muscle that made up his entire body. 
 
The sun was setting beyond the horizon and its orange hue seem to kiss at the other’s skin. But he wasn’t staring. Daehyun wasn’t gawking at the way sinewy flesh had a way of capturing one’s attention like a piece of artwork worthy of a gold frame and a place on a wall for all the world to see; oh no, Daehyun wasn’t like Youngjae. He wasn’t fascinated by the male body and yet, he couldn’t quite take his eyes off of him when Yongguk started to unbotton his pants. ’Oh god.’ Was he really going to undress in front of him? ’Abort mission! Abort Mission!’ 
 
GGgrrrrr! Bark! Bark! 
 
Thank the heavens a dog stopped him from revealing anymore than Daehyun could withstand. But was that really a good thing? Because once Daehyun shook himself out of the most confusing daze his eyes beheld, he found himself staring at a black Rottweiler who was growling right at him. 
 
“I can’t believe it.” Yongguk was looking out his window now, Daehyun's cover blown and the panicking sinking in faster than he could process the series of events that unfolded next. “Boukki.” The dog’s ears propped up in full attention. He waited for a command that nipped at the tip of his master's tongue, but before he said a word, Yongguk met Daehyun’s gaze before shifting down below where Youngjae stood. “Get the intruders.” The dog ran as soon as Yongguk pointed to the open door it escaped from. 
 
 
“Youngjae! Run! A dog’s coming! Run!!” He didn’t need to be told twice. Youngjae was already hightailing it out of there before the low, threatening barks could be heard receding down the staircase. 
 
“You have quite the nerve to trespass on my property.” 
 
trespassing! As if that was important right now. “Call off your dog!” Daehyun demanded. 
 
“Why should I? I got him to protect my home…and so he’s doing just that.” He couldn’t go anywhere. Daehyun was trapped and the dog was already bolting right out of the hole in the door as he headed for a retreating Youngjae. “Tell me what I want to know and I’ll call off my dog.”
 
“What are you talking about?!”
 
Looking like he was bored with the situation, Yongguk sighed and leaned his head against the window frame. “You know what I’m talking about Daehyun.” But he couldn’t think! Youngjae was seconds away from getting mauled by a dog and Yongguk was quick to assume he could register what the hell he was talking about? Was he crazy?
 
Daehyun carefully got on his feet and leaned himself on a branch so he could look down the driveway Youngjae ran across, the rottweiler 5 feet away from biting into its victim. Youngjae was heading for a water fountain statue that was wedge at the far corner of the brick wall. With arms pumping and his adrenaline making him run faster than he ever did before, Youngjae was able to use the edge of the three feet tall fountain as a lift to get himself over the wall just before he was mince meat. 
 
“Youngjae!!” He couldn’t see him. He was nowhere in sight, and the thought of him breaking his neck from the fall made his heart threaten to beat right out of his chest. 
 
“I’m fine. I got over! I’m all good!” Thank god! Daehyun let out a sigh of relief, but his composure didn’t last long once glowering eyes turned to the man who appeared amused by the turn of events that unfolded before him. 
 
“You bastard. He could’ve gotten hurt.”
 
Yongguk shrugged. “Hope it makes you think twice before climbing into property that doesn‘t belong to you.” 
 
“Why I outta -”
 
“Outta what? What are you going to do Daehyun?” If looks could kill Yongguk would’ve dropped dead by the glowering eyes that threatened to send daggers right through the other’s soul. He was pissed and Daehyun wanted so much to run right across the thick branch and tackle him right through the window. But he wasn’t stupid. 
 
Daehyun knew he wasn’t in the position to lose his cool, so he took a few deep breathes before shifting his eyes back upon Yongguk once more. “I’m leaving. So call off your mutt.” 
 
“I don’t think so.” With an index finger and a thumb wedged at the corner of his lips, Yongguk whistled for the dog that soon stationed himself right under the tree Daehyun was currently in. The dog sat their unmoving, his head tilted back as eyes as black as night stared up at him. “You either do what you intended to do by coming through the window or stay where you are?” 
 
“Why? Are you going to beat the out of me when I get in there or something?” Who knows what he was going to do? Yongguk was convinced Daehyun had incriminating pictures of him (which he kind of did), and to even consider going through the window after he sent his dog on Youngjae was just asking for a death wish. Yongguk was a psycho! 
 
“Why don’t you come in and find out?” The choices was set before him and he didn’t know whether it was wise to face off against the devil himself or his hell hound that waited down below. Daehyun darted his eyes between his choices and found himself losing the battle of good vs. evil with every second that passed him by. “So what’s it going to be Jung Daehyun?” He wasn’t sure of anything at that point, but if he had to be certain of one thing, it would be the metaphoric score board that read:
 
Daehyun: 0
Yongguk: over 9,000 

a/n

And there goes ch.2 hahaha Yongguk's such a lulz

I enjoy a very 'mean' gukkie monster xD

So I hope you enjoyed this ch. too x3 

And I can't say this enough, welcome new subbies and old ones, and thanks for the comments 

they make me fangirl hard xD -/insert weirdness here/