Choose a face to start with

You're a Rubix Cube - Luhan
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2:

You’d realized this was the first time Luhan had ever spoken to you, and vice versa. It wasn’t that he purposefully avoided you; It was just that both of you found no need to talk to the other.

He watched you, eyes wide; so confused as to why you had stayed behind, but he was grateful anyways that someone would help.

You looked at him, starting to feel panic rise in your voice.

‘Excuse me?’ you ask trying not to raise your voice as you stood up just as confused as he was. The last few people in the classroom who had witnessed the scene left snickering.

You shied away from his gaze, but kept walking up to Luhan.

‘You didn’t hear what I said? Well you just volunteered to help me clear the classroom for the rest of the term.’ Luhan said trying not to be caught off guard; he turned his charisma back on.

‘Uh- I can’t I’m-‘You tried to make up an excuse that you were busy, but you really weren’t. Luhan cut you off before you could speak anymore.

‘Please, it won’t take long I promise, it would be such a big help, and besides no one else volunteered.’ He started to look desperate. You just heaved a big sigh in defeat; it wouldn’t really harm you to clear the place up and then cycle back home. You just stood there looking down at your feet, annoyed that this guy got his way once again.

‘Ok, so let’s just clear this away, push these tables back and I’ll bring the mops.’ Luhan said walking out the classroom. You stood still for a moment, wondering whether you could outrun him to your bike, but then decided against it because it would be a hassle to start sweating. You let out a bigger sigh and rolled up your sleeves.

‘Thanks a lot once again, it’s a big help.’ Luhan said bringing two mops into the classroom.

‘It’s nothing’ you mumbled halfheartedly, looking out the window, watching pupils go back home as you picked up a table and placed it on top of another.

‘So, ______ do you have any brothers and sisters?’ Luhan asked trying to break the ice.

‘I have a younger brother and sister, I live with my parents.’ You replied as he helped you lift up another table. Him being so close to you made you flinch back a little in surprise, he didn’t notice.

‘Oh that’s cool; I live with my grandparents and my mum.’ Luhan announced as he handed you a mop.

‘Does your dad live abroad?’ You asked absentmindedly.

Luhan stopped mopping momentarily, looking down at the floor darkly, you watched him in confusion, the atmosphere had changed. But then in an instant, Luhan perked up.

‘Yeah you could say that.’ He replied smiling, you didn’t buy it but you realized it wasn’t your right to pry and continued mopping the floor, besides that you were kind of scared of him, was he bipolar or something?

‘So where do you live?’ Luhan asked; you were astounded at how he still wanted to keep a conversation going.

‘Um, past the Han-bay bridge; that area.’ You replied feeling ridiculed. Everyone knew that was a more or less poor area, and you knew Luhan must have lived in one of the more expensive/prestigious areas in Beijing.

‘Oh I love that bridge, I like walking there and watching the river when the sun sets, it’s nice to cool down after football practice.’ Luhan replied refusing to break his smile.

‘So where do you live.’ You felt implied to ask.

‘Near Dongcheng but I don’t live in a mansion or have servants like people say I do.’ Luhan laughed at the false rumours. You felt a little reassured; he seemed normal.

‘I don’t really listen to rumours.’ You reply still mopping around underneath chairs.

‘Oh, well that’s good, most of them aren’t true. Especially the rumours about you.’ Luhan said watching you momentarily stop mopping, and then continue with greater force, trying to shrug it off. He changes moods so quickly you thought to yourself.

‘And what do they say?’ You asked trying hard not to care, in fullness you really didn’t, you knew you just wanted to graduate and leave – end of, but curiosity pushed you to ask.

‘That you don’t talk to anyone.’

‘Well I’m talking to you.’

‘But I talked to you first.’

‘Doesn’t matter, I’m still talking to you.’

‘Do you talk to anyone else?’

You stood silent, feeling incredibly angry, how dare this guy embarrass you when you’re actually doing him a favour! You dropped your mop on the floor and picked up your bag, heading for the exit.

‘Look I don’t have to be here, I can just leave you to it you know, I have better things to do-‘ In your rush to leave, you slipped as the floor was still wet. You gasped as you knew you would hit your head; you didn’t have enough time to react. You closed your eyes.

But nothing.

You opened them.

Luhan was staring at you right in the face; he had caught you just in time. You gazed at each other, wide-eyed.

‘I’m sorry for being harsh, but I hope this makes us even.’ He muttered still staring at you. It was hard to look him in the face, it was unbelievable how good looking someone could be; for you it was blinding, like staring at the sun.

You opened your mouth and then closed it.

‘I guess I won’t believe the rumours then.’ He said putting his smile back on. You jumped out of his arms, turning three shades of red. You neatened your clothes and then quickly finished the job as fast as you could and nearly ran out the classroom before Luhan could ask any more questions. You ran to your bike, stopped and shouted.

‘WHAT AN IDIOT!!! Aish, I have to do this again tomorrow.’ You lightly tapped your head against the bike handlebars depressed. But then you took a deep breath and pushed the pedals, starting to feel like your old self again. You rode over the Han-bay bridge, Luhan’s words echoed in your head;

‘Oh I love that bridge, I like walking there and watching the river when the sun sets, it’s nice to cool down after football practice….’

You pulled on the breaks and stopped, taking a few breaths, then looked up to see the sun setting on the river. It did look beautiful. You took a few moments then shook your head.

‘Snap out of it _____, come on.’ You carried on with your journey back home.

When he caught you and looked into your eyes, Luhan saw an emptiness that only one other person had felt before, himself. It scared him; it was like looking into a mirror. He remained silent the rest of the time, watching you dash out the classroom like you were on fire. He smirked when you left, knowing he would be able to do the same thing tomorrow. He found you interesting, it was interesting trying to figure you out, he had done so with the rest of the students, but you were the last one. He absentmindedly pulled out his rubix cube, walking over to the window, fiddling with it. He saw you run out the building to your bike and heard a loud;

‘WHAT AN IDIOT.’ He stood still, aloof. But then found himself laughing, genuinely laughing for the first time in perhaps years, not the fake laughter he was so used to churning out, along with his mask – his fake smile and his fake friends. For once, he genuinely laughed at this weird girl who reminded him somewhat of himself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You walked into school feeling uneasy, you hadn’t really slept well that night, so you were still a little sleepy..and grumpy. It also didn’t help that Luhan had noticed you and jogged up to you all chirpy this morning.

‘Good morning!’ he exclaimed patting you on the back, you let out a groan in response.

‘Why are you talking to me during school, wont that ruin your reputation?’ You ask uneasy, noticing people giving you dirty looks behind Luhan’s back, you spot Jin giving you the ugliest look you’d ever seen; you gulp hard starting to sweat.

‘And what if I don’t care about that? Besides I’m just returning this to you.’ Luhan pulls something out of his pocket; you look to see your mp3 in his hand with the earphones wrapped around it.

‘You dropped it after you ran off the other day.’ Luhan mutters looking out the window to his right in the corridor. You take the mp3 from him slowly, unsure what to say next.

‘Thank you?’ you hald say/half ask, Luhan tucked his hands b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter