Chapter 2

A Tale of Two Jessi's
Day 1: Discovery

 

Jessica POV

 

As I clutched my sword, awaiting the onslaught to my homeland, I pictured my loving family. Mom, Dad, Krys. I love you. I then raised the sword with both hands and hacked at the nearest attacker. As I sliced at its midsection, a distinct crunch was heard and clear, slightly green liquid splattered on the ground.

 

“Die Mr. Cucumber! You and your cucumber troops are no match for the mighty Jessica Jung, Queen of Iceland! For she is graceful, beautiful−”

 

*ring* *ring*

 

“Jessica, wake up! It’s move-in day at the university, you don’t want to be late, honey!”

 

I rolled around my bed. Ugh. What a nightmare. I glanced at the clock. 8:45.

 

“8:45!?” I screamed, “Mom! You were supposed to wake me up at 8:15!!!”

 

“Honey, I tried, then I asked Krystal to try­-”

 

“Believe me, that didn’t end up well,” interjected my sister from behind my wardrobe.

 

“Jesus, Krys, I swear you’re going to give me a heart attack if you continue popping out of nowhere like that!”

Krystal threw her hands up defensively. “Sorry, sorry, just saying, you’re a heavy sleeper. By the way, you should wash your face. I think I missed some spots when I was cleaning up my attempt to wake you.”

 

My hand instinctively shot to my face and felt a cool substance on it. “What is this, Krys?”
 

“It may or may not be leftover cucumber juice from when I tried to wake you with a cucumber. Sorry!” And she ducked out of my room, escaping my oncoming anger.

 

“KRYSTAL JUNG!!!”

 

Narrator POV

 

And people say they felt the largest earthquake in California history that day in Malibu at precisely 8:49 A.M. Pacific Time.

 

Jessica POV

 

“Well,” I huffed, “Thanks for helping get everything ready and for sending me off again, Mom. Tell Dad I love him and good luck with work.”

 

“I love you too honey, and I will,” my mom said while hugging me back.

 

An annoying little voice chirped: “What about me, Jess? Don’t I get some love.” Krystal winked at me.

 

The nerve of that girl. “Not after this morning, Krys. You’re lucky I didn’t tear apart all the stalker photos of that girl you like,” I replied, glaring at my sister.

 

Krystal shivered and then pouted. “I’m really sorry Jess. Honest.”

 

I sighed. “Krystal, stop pouting, you know that’s my weakness. Come here,” I murmured while pulling her into a hug.

 

Suddenly Krystal pushed back from the hug. “Wait, how’d you know about the stalker pictures?”

 

I quickly grabbed my bags and ran off. “I definitely didn’t sneak into you room!! Love you, bye!”

 

From the distance, I heard a scream: “You know my room is off limits!”

 

I ran a few more feet and stopped to catch my breath once I knew Krystal wasn’t chasing after me. Man, I hate running. I slowed to a walk and maneuvered my way to the dorms.

 

Suddenly, “Hey, what’s up Jess? How was summer?” came a voice above me.

 

“Oh my god, Soo! I almost just peed my pants. How does everyone sneak up so stealthily?”

*Munch* *Munch* A donut appeared from nowhere into Sooyoung’s mouth. “Hm, my family is descended from ninjas, so maybe I inherited some of that skill, haha.”

 

“Yeah, and you have the appetite of a sumo wrestler.”
 

“Hey! That’s awfully offensive!”

 

“I missed you too, Sooyoung.”

 

She smiled and continuing munching on her donut. Wait, scratch that, donuts. Multiple donuts. Like, a dozen donuts.

 

Out of nowhere, a rush of red crashed into me, and once again startled, I found myself on the floor with a blob of red hair on top of me.

 

“Oh my god. Who poured Kool-Aid on your head?” I groaned, slightly winded by the weight on me.

 

“Oh my gosh. I am so sorry!” A loud voice boomed from the red mop of hair. “You see my friend stole my phone and I was trying to get it back-”

 

Geez, I feel like my eardrums are going burst from her megaphone voice…

 

“Alright, I get it. Whatever. Can you please get off me.”

 

Hmm, that came out a lot harsher than I thought it would.

 

The chatter around me fell to a quiet hush. Then, from the quiet, “Oh my gosh. It’s the Sica Effect. Tiffany is so dead.”

 

I sighed. There we go. My reputation sure travels fast in these parts.

 

The red head, I assume her name is Tiffany, swiped her hair out of her face and looked down at me with pouting eyes. I didn’t know eyes could pout, but these ones did. She then quickly got off me and offered me her hand.

 

“Ah, it’s ok. I’m good,” I said as I got up on my own.

 

Sooyoung broke through the circle of people who’d gathered around to see Tiffany’s beheading and helped me gather my bags. We then walked off to find our dorms.

 

Narrator POV

 

Back to a certain red-head…

 

Tiffany tilted her head to the side. Confused by the blond girl’s iciness. “I wonder if she hates me now,” she thought aloud.

 

Then a tall, tan girl jogged up to Tiffany.

 

“Hey Tiffany, why’d you stop chasing me?”

 

“Oh, sorry Yuri. I kinda crashed into some blond girl, and she got really mad for some reason.”

 

Yuri pondered. “I think you ran into the infamous Jessica Jung. She’s really cold, that girl. She’s called the Ice Princess by like everyone on campus. I’d stay away from her if I were you. But still, the girl is damn attractive,” finished Yuri with a erted grin.

 

“Ew, Yuri, stop being such a ert!” Tiffany said while smacking her friend.

 

“But seriously, if that girl’s mad at you, you’d better stay clear of her for a good five years or so.”

 

“Aw, come on. I’m sure she’s not that bad. She’s kinda interesting actually,” smiled Tiffany.

 

The two gathered their stuff and followed the Ice Princess’s direction toward the dorms.

 

Jessica POV

 

“Hey Jess, if you ever need any food or anything, just holler at me. I’m right next door! 302, don’t forget!”

 

“Not everyone needs as much food as you, Soo!” I yelled back to the wall.

 

“I can’t believe she’s so skinny after eating so much food,” I murmured while sorting out all the stuff on my side of the room.

 

I wonder who my roommate is this year. Hopefully someone quiet. By God, please be someone quiet. If anything, please don’t let it be that red head. I’ll do anything, God. I’ll even eat cucumbers for a week. I’ll

 

My thoughts were interrupted by the scuffling of wheels being dragged on the floor. I turned around and saw a flash of red.

 

Narrator POV

 

“You!” shouted both of the girls in dorm 303, both with the finger pointed at the other girl.

 

Jessica POV

 

Crap. Mother of all cucumbers. I can’t believe I’m stuck with her for a whole year.

 

The loud red head composed her self after the shout off. She held her hand out to me and said, “Hi, I’m Tiffany Hwang. I think we might have gotten off to the wrong start. I’m really sorry for bumping into you. Please accept my sincerest apologies.”

 

Oh god. Her eye smile. Its. Its. Beautiful. Wait, Jessica. Stop it. You don’t like loud people remember. Compose yourself, remain calm. Don’t be overwhelmed by those gorgeous crescents of hers.

 

I opened my mouth to say a polite, “It’s ok,” or something of the sort when suddenly…

 

“Ah. Shaddup you loud bullhorn. Mah ears be goin’ deaf from jus’ hearin’ yer loud mouth yammer on and on. Can’t nobody get no peace and quiet round these parts.”

 

Tiffany’s eyes flew wide open in surprise.

 

My hands flew to my mouth.

 

“Did I just…”

 

“Yeah, yah . Those words jus’ came from yer trap. Don’t act all surprised or whatnot. I’ve been hear fer years. Just decided to pop out and say hello today. So, howdy y’all.”

 

To be continued...