Rain

Lost Memories

It's raining.

That doesn't mean his Sunday plans are ruined. Daehyun's still at the fountain, an umbrella held over his head, alone in the square save for the hurried passerby ducking against the rain. It seems he won't be able to pick out people from the crowds, since there aren't any. He doesn't mind though, he likes the rain.

It reminds him of her.

It's an odd familiarity, almost like the pickles. Daehyun's never had an opinion of rain, neither liking it nor disliking it, just dealing with it as it comes and goes. Something in him can't help but like it though, admire the musical pitter-patter of water hitting water in the fountain behind him, the smell of earth mingling with the ever present smell of coffee. It's refreshing, calming...

A thought presents itself suddenly, one he hadn't taken into account before.

What if it isn't him who has these opinions, these likes and dislikes, what if it's her? It makes sense since he knows he personally has no preference but leans one way or another for them unconsciously. If this is the case then he's learned a little more about her. She hates pickles, which is why he doesn't eat them often though he himself feels nothing against eating them. She loves the rain. It's her favorite kind of weather. Rather than spending the day out in a park or in the square in the bright sun under clear blue skies, she likes to snuggle up beside him and watch the rain fall out the window, a cup of hot chocolate or mocha in her hands. He remembers spending hours with her sitting by the largest window available, saying nothing, just watching the rain fall, listening to her breathe, letting her sweet smell of caramel, a twist of cinnamon, and, as always, coffee engulf his senses, fill him with that comforting warmth that only she can offer him.

A small smile pulls at his lips. It appears that whenever he discovers something about her his mind very helpfully fills in the blanks, however vaguely. Still, it's better than nothing and he's happy to get anything he can. It still strikes him as strange that he can recall all these instances, these feelings, but can't even remember what color her hair is or put a name to her beautiful memory. Just flashes of scenes, moments together that remind him of a watching a show with bad connection, only the outlines and basic actions are apparent but never clear. For the time being at least this is enough for him, to know that he's not imagining the bond he shared with her, to have some evidence tucked away in the dark recesses of his mind of better times spent with her.

It keeps him going but, he doesn't know when it'll run out, when he'll crave more, need more.

Daehyun listens to the rain for a long while, the faint sound of laughter ringing in his ears through the white sounds.