By Habit

Lost Memories

The coin rolls in his hand, over his knuckles, through his fingers, a flash of silver in the chipper sun. It's a quiet day, a lazy Sunday afternoon with no special plans or spontaneous adventures with his best friend, Youngjae. No, not today. Never on Sundays. Sunday is the day Daehyun comes to the lovely fountain in front of the cozy little coffee shop at noon exactly, a 500 won coin in hand, and waits. That's all he does. Sit for hours at a time knuckle rolling the smooth coin (which he's gotten quite good at since he first started doing it months ago) until what he's waiting for arrives.

What that could be he has absolutely no idea.

But like clockwork, by some deeply ingrained habit, he comes after a very particular routine. The first thing he does in the morning is check his phone, ignoring any messages or notifications, to check the time. Almost inhumanly he wakes up at the same time every Sunday, 9:15 AM without the aid of an alarm. Getting right out of bed he changes into the clothes he'd laid out the night before, comfortably casual clothes. They're clothes he'd wear to any regular outing, hanging out with friends, maybe even a causal date. By the time 9:25 AM rolls around he's already out the door, a nagging sense of urgency making him hurry out the door to the designated meeting spot, the fountain.

The rest is just as habitual. Humming to himself one of his favorite 4Men songs, Daehyun can literally auto-pilot his way to the fountain. The route is so familiar he could walk it in his sleep. The buildings along the way are like old friends, always there to accompany him briefly on his way. Sitting in the exact same spot on the fountain's wide, carved parapet he proceeds to wait, the coin dancing across, through, and around the back of his right hand. It's always his left hand even though he's left handed.

Why does he do it? Why has he done this every Sunday without fail since the day he got out of the hospital he'd woken up in? Why doesn't he ever do anything else, change his routine, or bring something along to occupy his time?

Daehyun has absolutely no idea.

All he knows is that it's important and he trusts the feeling in his gut, the ring of familiarity in the back of his mind to come here until whatever he's waiting for comes. He figures it's a person, someone special in his life, someone he knows well, someone he's missed, someone he's loved.

It's that someone he waits for, that someone, whoever they are, he so desperately wants to meet again, so diligently waits for.

He always thinks about whom they could be, what place they had in his life. Obviously, they were significant, otherwise he wouldn't be here, wouldn't have come here all those months ago, all those confused Sundays ago, in the first place. Youngjae says he doesn't know who it could be either, just that he thinks it may have been a very dear friend of his before the accident, maybe even a girlfriend based on how obsessively he waits. Daehyun thinks he may be right. Maybe it's a girl he's waiting for, his girlfriend from another time.

Before the accident.

Daehyun doesn't remember what happened or anything about it really, just what Youngjae and the doctors have told him. Sometime mid-February he'd apparently gotten into a horrible car accident, one that ruined his memory and killed a lot of people. After being comatose for a little over two weeks, he awoke to the glare of white fluorescent lights in his unconditioned eyes and a sharp breath of someone beside him. Youngjae had been hovering over his immobile form hoping for the best, the one whose breath hitched when his eyes finally cracked open. He didn't recognize him though; only after being explained his situation did he put a name to the smiling face before him.

It was unnerving to be told that he'd lost his memory, the last three years, at least, entirely wiped clean from his mind. Except the one just before the accident that brings him here every Sunday, the promise to meet his someone here for coffee, like they always do. Not that he can remember "they" or "always" anymore. Youngjae's done his best to repair his memory though, bringing back little bits and pieces of his old self together again like the best friend he is.

Daehyun just wishes he could fix this one, of all his lost memories, it's this one he wants to bring back, to understand.

He sighs, studying the smooth 500 with disinterest. He doesn't like dwelling on the accident, the moment that ruined his memory and made him the empty person he's become. It's not that he's emotionally empty or that his life has become purposeless (he does have three years to piece back together, that's purpose enough to start), there are certain things that leave him feeling hallow when he can't remember why they make him feel a certain way, think about particular person or place. It's frustrating having no way to recall what his body is so familiar with, what parts of his mind have still clung onto. For example, the smell of caramel. Whenever its sweetness ever so subtly floats from the coffee shop to grace his little station at the fountain, he finds indescribable warmth filling him, a burst of happiness pulling his lips up into a slight smile. Something about it just makes him feel so full, so content.

Daehyun has no doubt in his broken mind that it has something to do with the person he's waiting for, the girl he can't remember but knows exists.

Could it be the smell of the coffee she ordered? Maybe her favorite candy? Did something about her remind him of caramel? Or could it be that she was the caramel, the sweetness her own scent that he's committed deeper than to just memory?

The last guess seems the most likely. Why else would he know this smell so well?

Hours pass and Daehyun never moves from his spot, his meeting place, their meeting place. Others would call it a waste of time to spend hours just sitting and waiting for nothing. To him, this isn't nothing. This is the only thing he can remember from the last three years so suddenly erased from his mind. It's important enough that it's already a habit, already a routine he'd been committed to for who knows how long.

This is all he has left of himself, all he's willing to work hard to remember because this isn't about him. It's about her. The girl he can't bring to mind but thinks of all the time. The girl that's in everything he sees, everything that makes him smile. The girl that's haunting the fountain, the coffee shop every time the delicate scent of caramel wafts its way to him, delicately caresses the air with sweetness, her sweetness. Daehyun can't know for sure but, he's pretty sure he loved her, still loves her. All these sensations, the ghost memories, they're more than just coincidental remembrances. They're significant to him, important in his heart. He knows if he finally sees her again it guarantees nothing. His memory won't miraculously return the instant he sees her, he won't have the least three years of his life returned to him. No, all he'll get out of this is the closure of knowing who this girl is, who this phantom lingering in his broken mind is.

He needs to know. Even if it means he'll never get his memory back, if he can just meet this girl, finally see just who it is he's been waiting for, he'll take that chance and never regret it.