Distracted

Lost Memories

"Hey, you're more distracted than usual today. Everything alright?" Youngjae asks, prodding his shoulder with the back of his pen. Daehyun looks up from the sappy romantic movie that's played without his notice. He catches the bitter tears of the happy couple now torn apart just before he offers Youngjae a late, "What?"

"You're watching one of those weird, like, happy but sad love movie things. That's not exactly what I—is that Dear John?" the once busy student suddenly becomes engrossed in said happy-but-sad movie, though it's the last half hour or so. Daehyun watches his eyes glisten ever so slightly with tears, the softy hit by the separation of the two characters, or something (he doesn't know the plot; he can't say for sure what's happening but obviously something heartbreaking like that). It's kind of funny how emotional Youngjae gets over movies. You can literally put on the saddest, most heart wrenching, tear jerking movie of all time on and you'll have Youngjae sobbing into the floor while Daehyun would just stare blandly at the screen wondering if he remembered butter on his popcorn or if it just comes this salty to begin with. It just doesn't affect him, not like the ghost memories of her.

He'll admit, there have been times where he just laid in bed, wide awake with his eyes glued to the ceiling just wondering what he would do if he never saw her again. What would he do if he never met her at the fountain? Never had that coffee date they'd promised to have?

Sometimes he thinks he'd be okay. After all, it's not like he remembers her in the first place. He just gets vague reminders, ambiguous tugs of emotions at certain sights and smells. But, would he be seriously affected by it? Other than being disappointed, he doesn't think so. Then of course there are times when he thinks it'll be the end of his world, the end of his very existence if he never meets her. The girl that's always in his mind, the girl he can never quite grasp always dancing along the cusp of remembrance and being lost in his shattered memories. He feels like losing her, never seeing her again, would mean the end of something he never wanted to end, never wanted to forget in the first place. It's moments like this where the heaviness of regret, the indescribable sorrow weighs on him like a thousand pounds. There have been times when he's almost felt physically pained by the loss, the inexistent loss of a girl he can't remember.

All he can do is hope that she shows up at their meeting place one day and finally brings him back, brings the last three years back to life with her presence.

But for now he has a sniffling Youngjae to deal with.