Mocha

Lost Memories

Daehyun doesn't say anything to Youngjae the next day, leaving the apartment as quickly as he can without seeming out of the ordinary. He doesn't know where he's going. He just doesn't want to be stuck with the object of his suspicions. Hopping down the stairs to the bottom floor he pushes out of the building and stuffs his hands into his pockets.

Without meaning to he finds himself at the square, the fountain gurgling happily as it always does. Staring at it he pulls out one of the coins he keeps on his person at all times and tosses it. With a dainty plop the silver splashes into the water and sinks to the bottom to join its fellow wishes. Daehyun mumbles a soft, "I want to see her again" as he turns his back to the fountain.

It's not Sunday so he lets himself into the coffee shop across from his spot, the place reserved for just him and her, them. A blast of warm air and the smell off espresso greets him as the little bell alerts his presence. It's not too crowded, not yet anyway. As soon as classes get out at the nearby university this place is packed with cramming students or those just looking for a quiet refuge and a nice hot drink. He's the latter. Daehyun just wants a simple mocha with cream, sugar, and some milk and a place to think.

After paying for his his drink he finds a seat by the window. Turning the mug in his hands as he sits, mind picking up his endless trains of thoughts as if the break never happened. Most consist of ways to trigger memories of her, like the caramel, which seems to be the strongest of the tugs of nostalgia he's experienced. At the same time the most insignificant things will spark a sensation or feeling, like the pickles, pasta, and recently his lip habit. He's been doing that for as long as he can remember, Youngjae's confirmed it's been a lifelong affliction, but just a few days ago did he get a vague recollection of being teased for it, being watched with playful eyes.

The snippets of memories and feelings he gets of her makes him want to meet her so much more. From what he's pieced together he wouldn't be surprised if he was actually in love with her. Just those little insights of her personality make his heart flutter, his stomach twist with affection. She seems so easygoing, so pleasant to be around. He's always happy when he thinks of her, a smile tugging unconsciously at his lips every time she comes to mind. Daehyun feels a genuine joy, the laughs he's shared with her, a cheerfulness he doesn't get from anything else. She was a beacon of light, his sunshine in the darkest of days, warmth in the coldest of nights. And she was beautiful in every way. No matter what she did, how she dressed, what time of day it was, he never once thought otherwise. It doesn't matter that he can't remember how she looks, he knows she's beautiful because in every delicate flower he sees, every song he hears, every starry night sky he lays under, he's reminded of her. The beauty he finds in everyday things all comes back to her, though he knows somewhere in his memory they cannot compare with her.

He wishes one day he can see her lovely smile, hear her addictive laughter.

Daehyun takes a long sip of his mocha, the leaf he just noticed in the cream ruined before he can properly appreciate it. He can feel sweet warmth spread through his body, the mocha seep into his veins. It's a nice feeling, comforting. Familiar. Unfortunately it doesn't trigger any memories, just reminds him that he's promised to come here with her, assuring her they'd live their lives as they normally do. Normal has evaded him and his promise still hasn't been fulfilled.

His mind then segues into his next series of thoughts. What was it that urged him to make that promise in the first place? If he was so convinced nothing would change and life would go on as per usual, why make such a promise? Does it have something to do with the accident? Could it be it wasn't a car accident but, something else entirely that caused his memory loss? What if it wasn't and accident at all? What if it was a plan gone wrong, a situation that got too out of hand to control?

Youngjae told him he was a trader, a broker. The instinctual part of him believes that to be true, that it had a role in his "accident." If he just knew what he traded it would help determine what that mid-February day's events truly were. Mulling over another long sip of his mocha he lets his mind and his eyes wander as he thinks. Daehyun his lips, the taste of mocha rich on his tongue. His thoughts make no progress beyond what he's already established and/or assumed. His eyes on the other hand have swept over the entire cafe twice, distracted. It's gotten more crowded since he first arrived. The morning classes at the university likely dismissed allowing the sleep deprived students to get their next fix of caffeine to continue functioning.

There is one student in particular that catches his attention, his distracted cursory glance becoming a wary study. In the entire shop she's the only other person with a table to herself besides him. Her hair falls to hide her face as she leans over a thick volume, her hand jotting down notes in a thick notebook to her right. She makes up for her simple white t-shirt, jeans, and Converse with the light scarf and various accessories on her wrists and fingers to give her casual look a subtle sense of effort. He doesn't know why he spares her a second glance, there's nothing particularly significant about her. Her drink though does have some effect on him worth the extra few seconds.

It's her favorite drink. He can tell by the distinct chocolate whipped cream specific to that drink. It's a sweet mocha frappuccino with chunks of crushed cookie topped with a complimentary chocolate cream. He remembers how she's hate to ruin the pretty topping despite how much she equally hated having to sip up foam at the end if she didn't mix it beforehand. She was always so particular about her drinks and food, everything had to be neat and orderly, finished from one side to the other or whichever way looks the nicest. Come to think of it, she has a lot of quirks, some odd, some entirely unnecessary but, endearing to him all the same.

Daehyun lets his brows knit just slightly when his sudden influx of memory returns to him. He got all that from looking at a drink... He doesn't know whether to be mildly concerned about that or overlook that and just be grateful for this girl's choice of beverage. Just as he decides on the latter the girl shifts, her free hand pushing aside her long fringe behind her ear out of her eyes.

He blinks.

Nothing, absolutely nothing about her is familiar or triggers any other hidden memories. He will admit she is pretty though, a natural look about her that he finds attractive. Daehyun then keeps a mental note that the girl he's waiting for probably has the same aura about her, a natural glow and casual tastes.

Maybe this Sunday he can try and pick her out of the people in the square with this new information's aid.

Daehyun drinks the rest of his mocha thinking about the girl he's made out to be a down-to-earth and kind soul, a true natural beauty.