Chapter 13

Chasing Love

 

She was about to put her arms around his waist when she felt an empty space beside her.  Seohyun frowned and opened her eyes. She looked around the room and didn’t find Yonghwa.  She got up from the bed and saw her nightie on the floor and put it on. After wrapping her body with a silk robe, she went outside and looked for him. She found him in the study room. He was busy typing something on his laptop.  Seohyun softly knocked on the door and smiled at him when he noticed her.  She went on his back and hugged him; encircling her arms around him.

“What are you doing?”

“Organizing everything before I go back to the company.”

“From a hottie racer to CEO…nice.”

Yonghwa chuckled. He turned the swivel chair to her and pulled her on his lap. She stared at him and fixed his fringes.

“Thank you for saying yes Hyun.”

“I’m looking forward to mornings with pancakes then.”

“Ahrasso.”

Seohyun kissed the tip of his nose before hugging him.

“What are you thinking?”

 “Yong?”

“Hmmm?”

“Why do you love me?”

“Because you’re hot, y, very beautiful, best in bed---Aw!”

Seohyun slapped his arm.

“You’re getting violent each day.”

“I’m serious Jung Yonghwa.”

Yonghwa laughed and looked into her. He touched her hair.

“I can’t grasp any reasons babe. I just… love you for real. When I first saw you at my station with jeans and Chucks, I was amused but serious when I said you got an interesting face. So interesting that a big part of me wanted to see you again. I was happy when it did happen. “

Seohyun touched his cheeks and jaw with her hand. Yonghwa grabbed it and placed it on his lips.

“I love you too Yong. Thank you for everything.”

“So you’re willing to be with me till whenever?”

“Ne.”

“Let’s seal that agreement then. Kiss me.”

Seohyun giggled before encircling her arms on his neck. She softly kissed his eyebrows, eyes, nose, cheeks before planting his lips. Yonghwa pulled her waist closer and deepened the kiss. He lifted up from his seat and carried Seohyun back to his bedroom.

**

“Sir, a certain Kim Sooyeon wanted to talk to you. “

Minhyuk never heard of that name but told his secretary to let the visitor in. Minute later, he saw a woman on her late 50s, dressed plainly, gazing at him with doubt and anticipation.  He stood and offered her a seat.

“So what can I do for you…”

“I’m Kim Sooyeon. You are Seo Minhyuk right?”

“Ne. Did we meet before Sooyeon~ssi?”

“Aniyo. I came here because of your father. I’m his second wife.”

Minhyuk was speechless for a while before he cleared his throat and looked at the woman, the reason why their father left them.

“I’m sorry Sooyeon~ssi but I no longer have any interest of knowing Abeoji’s whereabouts.”

“I understand Mnhyuk~ssi but I just want you to know that your father… died from a lung cancer five months ago.”

His eyes grew wider. He didn’t notice that he was already crumpling the sheet he was holding.

“Your father was very sorry after he left you. There was never a day that he stopped saying how much he missed his children. He wanted to visit you but you already left your house. He was jumping in glee when he found out that you became a famous architect and your sister as a writer. Before he died, he gave me this.” Sooyeon handed out a letter to Minhyuk. He silently took it.

“I’m so sorry for everything that I have caused in your lives. I and your father were working together in the company and I fell in love with him even though he’s already married. I got pregnant and told him that I’ll commit suicide if he chose his family. We were never been happy together. Our union was a mistake and I lost our child. I’m sorry.”

The woman cried her heart out in front of him while Minhyuk lowered down his head, trying to supress his tears. He was like that even after she excused herself. Then his phone ring. It was Krystal.

“Soojung~ah…”

“Oppa?Oppa, are you crying?”

“Soojung…” He dropped on his knees and held his head.

“Seo Minhyuk?!”

Krystal on the other line was frantic. She quickly took her bag and drove towards Minhyuk’s office. When she reached there, she saw him slumping on a small space beside her table, weeping. She noticed the letter he was holding. After reading it, she knelt down and gathered him on her arms.

**

Seohyun gave Yonghwa a confused look before going off of the car. They were probably in the end part of Gyeonggi. She saw some houses and a flower shop. 

“What are we doing here?”

Yonghwa approached her and took her hands. “Seohyun~ah, we’re here to settle your past.”

“Past?What do you mean?”

“That flower shop is owned by your mother. She manages it with her daughter Mina.”

“No. This is ridiculous. Let’s go home.” She pulled out her hands and walked towards the car.

“Hyun, it’s about time for you to talk to your mother.”

“Do you know what you’re saying?! That woman… she left us!”

“There must be reason.”

“No!She’s just selfish!”

Yonghwa turned her around. “Look at me. Hyun, you helped me out at the time when I was still blaming myself from Luhan’s death. You told me let go of the past because our present and future are more important. I moved on. But how about you?”

“Yonghwa, don’t do this to me.” He wiped the single tear on her cheek and kissed her forehead.

“Talk to her. Listen to what she has to say. Whatever it’ll be, I’m here Hyun. “

Seohyun closed her eyes and then later on, nodded. They walked hand in hand towards the flower shop. When they opened the door, a pretty teenage girl greeted them. She gasped in surprised and excitement when she recognized Yonghwa.

“Annyeong haseyo. Welcome to Darling Buds! I’m Kwon Min Ah at your service.”

“Annyeong haseyo. We’re actually looking for Kang Miri. Is she around?”

“Oh that’s my mother! She just went out to buy something. She’ll be here in--- oh, Eomma!”

“Min Ah, stop screaming especially if there are customers.”

Seohyun stiffened upon hearing that familiar voice. Yonghwa saw her reaction and turned to Miri.

“Annyeong haseyo. I’m Jung Yonghwa. We came to talk to you Mrs. Kang.”

“Ah, annyeong haseyo. What can I do for you?”

Seohyun, stung with tears, went in front of Yonghwa. She saw her mother gasped in surprise.

“Joohyun…”

“How are you doing Eomma?”

Miri walked towards her and was about to hug her when Seohyun stepped back. “Don’t touch me.”

“Joohyun…”

“I came here to ask this question that haunted me for years. Why did you leave us Eomma?Why?!”

“I’m sorry.”

“I don’t need your sorry! I need an explanation!”

“I left you because… I was hurt when your father went to his mistress. I thought I couldn’t survive if I’ll get to see you and Minhyuk each day. You would always remind me of your father.”

“You left us because you’re selfish!”

“Agassi, stop screaming on my mother.”

“No! Your mother deserves it!”

“I’m sorry Hyunnie. I’m so sorry.” She palmed her face and cried. Min Ah hugged her mother.

“I will never become like you. I will never leave my children for myself. I will love them till my graying days.. till I die. I will be the best mother for them. I hate you Eomma. “

Seohyun went out of the shop, running. Yonghwa was able to follow her, turned her around and held her close. She was hitting his chest while sobbing. He received them all knowing that would only be the way to burst out all the pain she kept on her heart for years.

**

Minhyuk called Seohyun that night and asked her to meet him the other day. After eating their lunch, he slowly told her about what happened to their father and gave the letter to her. Shocked and grief were written on his sister’s face. Then Yonghwa called informing her that Miri was sent to the hospital last night. Seohyun unconsciously dropped her phone while he was still on the line. Minhyuk picked it up and later knew what the call was about. They rushed to the hospital and welcomed by both Yonghwa and Min Ah. The doctor told them it was due to stress and fatigue that’s why their mother collapsed. Right there and then, Seohyun realized that she still wanted to feel her mother’s embrace and love. She and Minhyuk were able to forgive their parents. Week after the incident, they visited their father’s grave together with Kang Miri. All gone pains and sad memories, they left the place with peaceful smiles and hope for a brighter future ahead.

**

Then came Yonghwa’s departure to Spain for his last race. Seohyun wanted to accompany him but she got sick the day he was about to go. She was still in bed, feeling nauseated and a little paler. Yonghwa was so worried about her but she kept on saying that she was fine.

“Babe, I can’t leave you like this.”

“Yonghwa~yah, you need to go. I’ll be fine. I’ll ask Krystal later to accompany me to a doctor.”

“Or I’ll send our family doctor here?”

“That’s a perfect idea.”

Yonghwa sighed and sat on the edge of the bed. He pulled Seohyun’s nape and rested his forehead on hers. They both closed their eyes.

“Promise me you’ll be fine.”

“I promise.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too Mr. Racer.”

Yonghwa pulled her. He put his chin on her shoulder and kissed her hair. Then he bent down his head to capture her lips. Seohyun grabbed his waist.  Yonghwa once more take pecks on her lips before standing.

“I’ll see you after a week Hyun.”

“Ne. Fighting!”

“Thank you. I’ll win the race for you.”

After another hug, Yonghwa lifted his suitcase and went out of the room. Seohyun got up and opened the window. She waited for Yonghwa to walk to his car. He instinctly looked up and saw her. Seohyun waved and laughed afterwards when he gestured a flying kiss. She stared at the retreating car before whispering.

“I’ll wait for you nae Sarang.”

**

Two days passed and Seohyun was feeling okay. She decided not to call the doctor since everything seemed fine. In the morning, she was greeted with the maids and instantly served her the food. She wanted to tell them that she could do it but again realized that she was living in a completely different world. It had been a month when Yonghwa asked her to live with him in the mansion up until the wedding day. She had second thoughts at first but he did his best to convince her.

She lifted a basket of bread when she smelled something. Her nose crinkled until her stomach seemed reacted and she ran towards the sink. The maids looked at her worriedly.

“Miss Seohyun, are you okay?”

“Ne---“

But she threw up once again. Jaesuk quickly approached her.

“Miss Seohyun, are you okay?”

“Ahjussi, what’s with that bread there?”

“It’s a garlic bread Miss. Did you taste something bad?”

Seohyun weakly stood. She was about to speak when her vision suddenly became blurry. Then everything’s dark. Jaesuk was able to catch her before she hit the floor.

“Miss Seohyun! Miss Seohyun!”

**

Meantime…

Yonghwa was preparing himself for the race. He fondled his phone and decided to call Seohyun. She was not answering. He just thought that maybe she was busy so he busied himself looking at their pictures together. Siwon approached him.

“Yonghwa~yah, are you ready?”

“I think I am.”

“Good. I know you can do it.”

Yonghwa hugged him.

“Yah, what’s with that hug?”

“Just wanted to say thank you for being the best manager for seven years of my career as racer Hyung.”

“Wow!It’s nice hearing that from the great Jung Yonghwa!”

“Are you mocking me?”

Siwon grinned and pulled his shoulder. “Aniya. Thank you too Yonghwa. Till the end of this race?”

Yonghwa bumped his fist to Siwon’s. “Till the end of this race alright.”

**

“Eonni, aren’t you going to tell Yonghwa Oppa about the good news?”

Seohyun smiled to Krystal and placed her hands on her tummy before sipping her tea.

“I wanted to tell him personally.”

“I know he’ll be so happy.”

Seohyun looked around the garden, imagining their little ones running around. Yes, she’s two-week pregnant. That day she collapsed, Jaesuk quickly sent her to the hospital. Minhyuk, Krystal, Joon and the rest of their family and friends came immediately after hearing the news. Her mother was happy that she cried while embracing Seohyun.

“Eonni, the game is about to start! Let’s go to the entertainment room.”

“Ne”

Afterwards, she and Krystal watch it together. Krystal grasped her hand and both of them smiled. Seohyun quckly recognized Yonghwa’s car. It was blue this time with number 1 written on it. Racers were waiting for the game to start. When the triangle flag went down, cars moved forward at the same time. Loud cheers from people blended the angry sounds of machines. Various advertisements of well-known cars, oil companies and other products lined up beside the stadium. Each racing car wanted to reach the finish line but number 1 was leading then all, seconded by 5. Ahead of them was a sharp curve. Number 5 didn’t want to lose so he overtook. Number 1 did the same until they were on the same lane. The driver from 5 smiled dangerously to Yonghwa. He drove fast. Number 5 cursed and grabbed his wheel to the left. Yonghwa knew his plan so he tried to avoid it. He successfully did but he lost control. His car flew to the shoulder of racing track and hit the nearest wall. People yelled. Number 5 also hit the other side causing him unable to go back to the racetrack. From number 1, Yonghwa slowly crawled, inching away from his car. Nearing two meters from it, the car suddenly exploded. Yonghwa’s body dropped. Before he lost consciousness, he saw Siwon and the crew running towards him.

“Seohyun… Seohyun…”

**

When she opened her eyes, Seohyun noticed the white room with her mother, Min Ah, Minhyuk, Krystal and Yonghwa’s friends at the side. Miri quickly approached her when she saw that she had awakened.

“Eomma…”

“Seohyun~ah, are you feeling okay now?”

Seohyun closed her eyes and remembered the reason why she collapsed. Yonghwa. She saw Yonghwa and the accident. She looked at her mother, grabbing her hand.

“Eomma, what happened to Yonghwa?”

“Seohyun~ah, rest for a while.”

“Minhyuk, tell me. Tell me what happened to Yonghwa!”

“Hyunnie, Yonghwa’s in the hospital right now. He’s…”

“He’s what?!”

“…”

“HE’’S WHAT?!!!!”

“He’s comatose.”

Seohyun’s eyes grew wide. She looked at their friends. Krystal, Victoria and Yoona were crying. Jonghyun dropped his gaze and Joon was biting his lips.

“Tell me that’s not true. Tell me Minhyuk!”

Minhyuk tightly embraced her.

“No Yonghwa! No!!”

 

 

Jump to the last chapter, palli! :D