Chapter 11

Chasing Love

 

Yonghwa’s legs were shaking so he slowly descended his body to sit at the nearest seat. He palmed his face. He wanted to wail and throw all the things surrounding him that time. How could this happen? Why him? He felt someone grasping his shoulder. It was warm and comforting. Exactly the one he needed the most. Yonghwa held the hands and cried.

After some time, Jaesuk gave him a glass of water and sat near him.

“Do you really have to do this Master?”

“It’s not like I have a choice Ahjussi.”

“But you are too young. You’re only twenty-two year old Master Yonghwa. Besides, you don’t love her.”

“That’s true, but can you tell something that would solve my problem right now aside from marrying Im Yoona?”

Jaesuk sighed and remembered the conversation he heard himself a while ago. Jung’s legal lawyer, Attorney Park, went to them a week after Matthew Bennett’s burial. The latter was the trusted comrade of Yonghwa’s father who died from a terminal brain cancer. He was also the one who took good care of Yonghwa and Luhan and treated them like his own kids. He tried his very best to train the older son from managing the company because he knew he would be taking over the position once he’s ready, but something came up after his death. The lawyer informed them that some investors decided to pull out since they were afraid that Yonghwa might not be able to fulfil the job. Aside from that, they had large debt from the bank when USA suffered recession last year. Some employees were also on the verge of putting up a union, asking a wage hike. The last blow surprised both Jaesuk and Yonghwa . Attorney Park informed them that Im Corporation would gladly help them if Yonghwa agreed to marry their only daughter, Im Yoona. It wasn’t new for them that the old Im had been rooting Yonghwa since they were kids. He and Yoona both graduated from Yale University together with Lee Joon and Lee Jonghyun. Their parents were friends and usually each family was present during some gatherings in their mansions. But Yonghwa only saw Yoona as his sister and so as the lady. They laughed it off before when their mothers tried to match them saying it was impossible. Would he still be able to do it? He could see it coming. Yonghwa closed his eyes, trying to prevent tears from escaping once again.

**

Luhan heard the maids welcoming his hyung. He placed his guitar on his bed and ran downstairs.

“Hyung!”

Yonghwa saw his brother approaching and a gentle smile broke from his lips.

“Hey buddy, what are you doing the whole day?”

“I have written some songs and practicing my number for the fest.”

“Such a big rocker indeed.” He ruffled his hair which earned a loud complain from Luhan.

“Hyung, stop messing my hair.”

Yonghwa chuckled. He put his hands inside his pants’ pockets and walked upstairs.

“I saw Yoona noona a while ago. She’s so pretty and very classy.”

He stopped on his track after hearing the name his brother had mentioned. He turned around and saw Luhan grinning widely.

“She went to our school to meet a certain friend. Hyung, we should invite noona here. Let’s try barbeque party just like before with Jonghyun and Joonie hyung.”

“I’ll tell her that. I’m tired Luhan. Let’s talk tomorrow.”

Luhan frowned looking at his hyung’s retreating back. He sensed some problem but shrugged it off. His Yonghwa hyung was like a super hero. He could do anything, amazingly. He took his cellphone from his pocket and decided to text Yoona himself.

**

Luhan’s request was granted after a day he said it. The gang was there minus Jonghyun who weirdly refused to go saying he was busy with his coffee shop. Joon and Luhan were bickering around when Yoona approached Yonghwa who was silently drinking his soda.

“Oppa…”

“Did you hear about it?”

Yoona nodded and sighed. “I tried to stop my parents but they said they will disown me if I won’t marry you.”

“Then let’s do it.”

“Oppa…”

Yonghwa looked at her. “I’ll do it for my parents too Yoona. I can’t afford to waste the blood and sweat they had invested for our company. And… for Luhan too. He needs me the most.”

“Can you bear with the thought that we’ll be marrying each other Oppa?”

They both turned their heads when they heard a loud sound from broken glasses. Luhan was staring at them; pained expression written all over. His hands were dripping with blood. Lee Joon hurriedly ran towards him.

“Luhan, you’re bleeding!”

“Is it true Hyung?Noona?You’re… you’re… getting married?”

Yonghwa approached his brother and took his hands. He motioned the maid for the medical kit. Luhan hissed and winced in pain.

“Tell me!”

“Yes Luhan. I’ll be marrying Yoona.”

“NO!!!!”

Luhan ran inside the house. Yoona and Joon were both shocked. Yonghwa followed his brother. He quickly went to the music room, he was there, banging his guitar on the wall. His hands were still bleeding. Yonghwa stopped him but he was wiggling. He was not able to control himself. He threw him a punch making Luhan’s body flew towards the piano. They were both shocked.

“Luhan…”

He knelt beside him and tried to reach him out.

“I hate you hyung!I hate you!”

Luhan pushed him and ran outside the room. Yonghwa was left in the room grasping his head.

**

The next time he saw his younger brother, they were both calmed but Luhan was still not talking to him. He was in the music room and Yonghwa saw some scattered sheets and broken guitar. Luhan’s left hand was covered with bandage.

“I’m marrying Yoona to save our company. I wanted to tell you this but I know you won’t take it lightly.”

Luhan was still silent.

“I know you like her and I’m sorry buddy. I just… want you to understand that I’m doing this for you.”

Yonghwa stood. He was about to turn the knob when Luhan spoke.

“I love her hyung and it hurts knowing my own brother will get her instead of me.”

“What can I do to forgive me?”

“Nothing. Do what you should do Hyung…and I’ll try my best to survive.”

**

Their engagement party was held at Im’s mansion. People from elite society attended it. Jonghyun was still not there informing Yonghwa that he flew to Russia for some business matter but Joon and their other friends joined them that night. Yoona’s parents were beyond excited with the upcoming wedding. It was talk of the town. Everyone was sending them greetings already. For the whole period of time, Yonghwa was looking at Luhan who was silently drinking at the side. He wanted to stop him but Jaesuk advised him to leave him alone for a while. Mr. Im went up the stage and offered a toast.

“This has been my long-time dream and I know that my friend, Yonghwa’s father, wherever he is right now, is happy too. His son and my only daughter, Yoona, will tie the knot three months from now. Let’s give them some love everyone.”

Everyone at the party clapped and cheered for them. Yoona and Yonghwa both tried to smile. Mr. Im motioned them to come up on stage. Yonghwa was about to speak when he noticed Luhan walking out. He quickly gave the microphone to Yoona and followed his brother.

“Luhan!”

People started to wonder. Yoona walked down and ran towards Yonghwa. The latter saw Luhan at the parking space. His brother went in his black Lamborghini and started the engine. Yonghwa knocked at the window.

“Luhan, listen. You’re already drunk buddy. Come out. Just don’t drive Jung Luhan!”

But to his surprise, his younger brother pulled in and drove like insane, away from the event. Yonghwa quickly went in to his car and followed Luhan.

“Oppa! Yonghwa Oppa!”

Yoona was clutching the edge of her gown while calling his name.

“Miss, Master Yonghwa will come back soon.”

“Ahjussi, something might happen to them!”

Jaesuk sighed and silently prayed hard for his masters’ safety.

But his prayers weren’t answered. Luhan’s car crashed into a ten-wheeler car. He was rushed in the hospital by Yonghwa himself but minutes after that, the doctors’ informed him that he was dead on arrival. The silence was deafening until Yonghwa went hysterical. The scene broke everyone’s heart. Joon, who followed them, held his bestfriend tightly. They were both crying. Yoona looked so lifeless. Luhan’s dead… because of her… because of Yonghwa.

She walked out from the scene with tears streaming down her face. How could this happen? Why Luhan? Then someone grabbed her hand. She turned around and saw his worried face. Without thinking, she flung into his arms… clutching his jacket and cried. The man embraced her closely and kissed her head while saying some comforting words. Yoona wept so hard but she was glad he was there… her one and only kryptonite.