Side Story 2: JongYoon (Jonghyun & Yoona)

Chasing Love

 

She was biting her lower lip while reading her notes. Jonghyun was strongly resisting the urge to kiss her that very moment. He shook his head. They were at the library for Christ’s sake! He lowered down his head and tried to concentrate on his own book. He sighed exasperatedly to Yoona’s surprise.

“Oppa, are you okay?”

“Ne. Don’t mind me.”

Yoona smiled and continued reading.

“Hey…” He gently nudged her elbow.

“Hmmm?”

“Are you still going out with that Stanley Jones?”

Yoona looked at him and grinned. “Wae?”

“Just… just asking.”

She chuckled. “Do you still have plans on courting his ex-girlfriend?”

“I’m not interested with Brenda.”

“So why you’re asking about me and Stanley then?”

“Because we’re friends?”

“Ahrasso.”

Yoona stood from her seat and gathered her things. “I got to go. See you later Oppa.”

Jonghyun grabbed her arm causing her to stop. “Can we watch movie in your dorm later?”

“Are you sick of Yonghwa and Joonie Oppa’s company already and you’re sticking to me?”

“Kind of. Don’t tell them.”

Yoona giggled. “Okay. 7pm.”

Jonghyun sat and took a look around the campus. Four of them were studying at well-known Yale University. Yonghwa was taking up Management Science; Joon was Biomedical Engineering; Yoona’s Film Studies and him, was Economics. They were friends since high school. Yoona was one year younger than them but they became instantly closed. He witnessed himself how she grew beautiful each day. Later he realized, he was falling for her so hard. He didn’t say it to his friends especially to Yonghwa. Jonghyun was completely aware how his bestfriend and Yoona’s parents were rooting for them to become a couple. Instead of confessing, he stayed silent even after being hurt when he found out that she was dating that American guy from her class. He had drunk himself in a bar to Yonghwa and Joon’s amazement. They started questioning him about the reason why he did that but Jonghyun didn’t say anything. Weeks passed when he realized that he needed to tell Yoona about his feelings and go over it. That night would be his perfect time.

**

Yoona ended the call after hearing someone knocking outside her room. When she opened the door, she saw Jonghyun with bucket of fried chicken on his other hand. She squealed in delight and pulled him quickly inside. Jonghyun grinned seeing her expression.

“Wah! It’s my favorite. Gomawo Jonghyun Oppa!”

“Welcome. So what should we watch?”

“Chasing Liberty!”

“Love, that’s chick flick. No.”

Yoona pouted. “Fine. How about Inception?”

“You are all talking about your favorite movies.”

Yoona laughed and pulled him to sit on the couch. Minutes later, they were busy watching the said film. Jonghyun looked at her and saw how focused she was. He suddenly lied down and put his head on her lap.

“Yah, are you going to sleep on me?”

“Nope. Let me watch like this.”

“Tsk.”

They continued watching. Yoona was unconsciously ruffling his hair when Jonghyun caught her hand. She was surprised with the sudden action and looked down at him. He brought her hand on his lips.

“Oppa…”

Jonghyun stood and knelt down in front of her. He looked at her straightly.

“Yoona listen to me. I know this will be sudden to you but… but…”

“But what?”

“I like you. I like you Im Yoona.”

Yoona’s eyes grew wider.

“Lee Jonghyun, stop joking.”

“I’m not.”

She walked away from him and stared at the photo frame beside her bed. It was taken last year on her birthday. Friendship. Yonghwa, Joon and Jonghyun, through them she found real friendship. Jonghyun grabbed her shoulders and turned her around. He put his forehead on hers. He closed his eyes.

“Just tell me now if you don’t feel the same. I’ll still be your friend no matter what---“

Jonghyun didn’t finish what he was about to say when Yoona placed her lips on his. He was beyond shocked.

“Yoona…”

“I guess… I like you too.”

Jonghyun pulled her nape and kissed her. Yoona was not responding at first until she opened and felt the intrusion. She kissed him back deeply. Jonghyun dropped himself on the couch and pulled her on his lap while never leaving her lips. Yoona encircled her arms on his neck. Jonghyun her back down her legs. She let out a soft moan. Minutes later, heaving, they looked at each other. Jonghyun kissed her forehead and pulled her in a tight embrace.

“Thank you Love. I’m the happiest man now.”

Yoona put her chin on his shoulder and held him closer.

**

When they were about to tell their relationship right after the three boys’ graduation, Matthew Bennett, Yonghwa regarded as his second father, died.  They quickly went back to Korea. Week after that, a big news shakened Yonghwa. Their company, which his late parents established, was facing a huge problem .  Then, Yoona’s family offered Yonghwa a help or a deal he couldn’t say no; he needed to marry her. She tried to fight for her right but her parents warned to disown her if she wouldn’t do it. Jonghyun heard about the news which resulted into a big fight when he started to question her feelings for him.

 “Do you love him?”

“What?!”

“Do you love Yonghwa?”

“How can you say that?! It’s you that I love Lee Jonghyun!”

“THEN WHY CAN’T YOU ING DECLINE THAT MARRIAGE?!!!”

Yoona was speechless. Jonghyun slowly descended his body on the ground, pulling his hair. Yoona, with tears, sat beside him and put her arms on him. She was crying while embracing him. Jonghyun wiped her tears and pecked her lips.

“I’m sorry. I just love you so much.”

“I know. I love you too.”

**

Things weren’t ironed out after their conversation so Jonghyun went to Russia to temporarily forget about it.  Everything even got more complicated when Luhan went berserk after hearing his Yonghwa hyung and Yoona’s engagement. Joon informed Jonghyun about it so he went back to Korea without telling them. Then Luhan’s accident happened. He hurriedly followed to the hospital only to find out that the latter was already announced dead. Jonghyun saw the devastating scene that broke his heart. He noticed Yoona on the other side, clutching her chest, tears flowing on her cheeks. She blankly stood and walked out from the scene. He grabbed her hand. Yoona looked up and saw Jonghyun. She immediately flung towards him and cried on his chest. He held her tighter with tears on his eyes too. All of them didn’t deserve this.

**

The engagement was called off. Yonghwa flew to London and stayed there for a year. He then became a racer. He and Joon found out Jonghyun and Yoona’s relationship. Instead of getting mad, they accepted and supported them. One day, the couple decided to face Yoona’s parents. Her mother was considerate but Mr. Im wasn’t. He still liked Yonghwa for his one and only daughter. Besides, he despised Jonghyun for having a broken family. Jonghyun’s parents divorced after his mother found out about his Russian father’s affair with another woman. Mr. Im brought it to him while they were having a dinner. Jonghyun cleared his throat and wiped his mouth before standing.

“I came here to respectfully tell you that I’m dating your daughter Sir, not to receive hurtful comments about my family. I believe that whatever happened to us is already out of your business.”

He went outside, gritting his teeth. He was so mad. No one ever said those words to him. Jonghyun was about to open his car when Yoona stopped him.

“Oppa, please don’t go.”

“What do you want Yoona?Let me stay in this house so your father can insult me more?!”

“I’m sorry for what he did. I didn’t see it coming too.”

Jonghyun bit his lips and pulled her. “I’m sorry for snapping on you Love.”

“I understand that.”

“Yoona!”

They were both startled and turned their heads only to see Yoona’s father with angry expression.

“Come back here and leave him.”

“I won’t do that Appa. I love him.”

“You will let him go or I will disown you!”

Yoona closed her eyes before looking at Jonghyun and then her father.

“I’m sorry Appa. But if you really love me, you’ll respect my decision and accept the person who became my everything.”

“Im Yoona!”

“Let’s go Oppa.”

They left her house without talking. After reaching his condo, Jonghyun suddenly pulled her towards him.

“Thank you Yoona. I love you so much.”

Yoona cupped his face and kissed his lips before resting her forehead on him. “Saranghae.”

**

After two years…

In a private beach where sun was about to set; tulips and lilies perfectly adorned; violinists at the right side with one of the most well-known singers in Korea, Ailee, also preparing herself for the entourage; and people wearing white attires gathered while facing a small make-shift in front. Everybody was barefooted. Ladies had flowers on the left side of their ears. Men had garlands hanging on their necks. Smiles painted on their lips because they were about to witness a beautiful union of equally beautiful couple.

Jonghyun was fidgeting from where he stood. Joon, his best man, patted his shoulder.

“Dude, Yoona will come. Stop worrying.”

He was about to answer when he noticed the pair slowly walking down the aisle. It was Yoona and her father, who had learned to accept him and asked for forgiveness of everything he said that night. The bride was wearing a soft chiffon white dress with a crown made of white lilies on her head.  She had no veil so he saw how tears escaped from her eyes.

Today this could be, the greatest day of our lives

Before it all ends, before we run out of time

Stay close to me,

Stay close to me

Watch the world come alive tonight

Stay close to me.

 

Each step seemed forever.

 

Tonight this could be the greatest night of our lives

Let’s make a new start,

The future is ours to find

Can you see it, can you see it in my eyes

Can you feel it now, can you hold it in your arms tonight

Hold on

Hold on,

Hold on

 

He couldn’t believe that this day would come. He would finally be tying the knot to his one and only love.

 

Oh stay close to me (Hold On)

Stay close to me

Watch the world come alive tonight

Stay closes me

 

Yoona’s father hugged her before giving her hands to Jonghyun.

“Take care of my daughter Jonghyun~ah.”

“I will Abeoji.”

After that, they faced each other. There was no priest so they would say their vows themselves. While putting the ring on her finger, Jonghyun spoke.

“I, Lee Jonghyun, declare myself lucky and blessed for having you in my life; saying yes after I told you that I liked you; fighting for me and accepting me for who I am. You will always be my forever, my eternity. Saranghae Im Yoona.”

Yoona smiled at him and started saying her own vow too.

“I, Im Yoona, declare myself lucky and blessed for having you; admitting that you liked me; being with me all this time; fighting even when the world was already telling us to let go. You will always be my everything… my kryptonite. Saranghae Lee Jonghyun.”

Jonghyun cupped her face and kissed her. People stood and applauded. Their mothers were wiping their tears. Everyone was moved from their heartfelt vows. Truly, the couple had gone through a lot but they remained strong. It was true love indeed. Joon, Yonghwa and Seohyun approached the newly-weds. Jonghyun hugged the two guys while Yoona to Seohyun.

“I’m so happy for you Yoona.”

“Thank you Seohyun.”

Yonghwa approached them. “Yoona~yah…”

Yoona embraced him. “Oppa, I know Luhan’s happy right now. He’s happy for me… for us.”

Yonghwa touched her hair. “Ne. He is. Stop crying now. Be happy with Jonghyun, okay?”

Yoona nodded and turned to her husband. Jonghyun smiled and pulled her waist. He whispered on her ear. “Yeongwoni nae sarang.”

 

 

 

 

A/N: Thank you for reading the two side stories I’ve included here! It was fun writing those because I know that I root for MinStal and JongYoon myself. *laughs* Two more chapters for Chasing Love. Yay! God, I’m getting emotional. *wipestears* Kidding. Hahahaha

My deepest gratitude to those who keep on waiting for every update, telling me in Twitter or commenting here something nice that motivates me to finish this.  I know I still have a lot of areas to improve and I’ll do my best to inculcate every lesson that I get.

I sooooooooooooooo love you all! <3 <3 <3