Please Don't Go: The Start... (part 1)

Please Don't Go

Please Don't Go

featuring Ok Taecyeon (2PM) and Han Yae Jin (fictional)

 

 

This must be one of the happiest days of my father’s life. Getting re-married, to the woman he loves but the woman I learned to loathe.

Jang Haneul or as I call her ‘the beast concealed by beauty.’

The sacred ceremony was on its way, random people-some I know, some I don’t-marched the red carpet located on the aisle. I took in a mouth full of air and piously strode the path of nowhere. I sincerely flashed a smile at my dad then turned right to where my seat is.

Wedding music was starting to get in my nerves. Hearing it just forces you to cry. I did not want to show my emotions today. The whole time, I wore a straight face except when I’m in front of my dad.

She finally entered, wearing a-fake-smirk. Here comes the beast.
I wanted to protest but for the sake of my dad I will tolerate her to my outmost ability.

It came to the part where it was time to say their ‘I do’s.’ I wished I could control minds and force my dad to say ‘No’ or ‘I don’t.’ I sluggishly covered my ears preventing myself to hear anything. I admit I did not want this.

After the ceremony, I glanced at the newlyweds hand in hand, taking pictures with the guests. Jang Haneul, my official step mother glared at me, welcoming me to a whole new life of hell.

♦~~~~~♦~~~~~♦~~~~~♦

“In today’s headlines. Han Yoo Jin owner and CEO of the Han Company, died last night. The multi-billionaire got involved in a dreadful car accident, wretchedly there were no survivors and police are now investigating what was the cause of death since there were no witnesses of the said casualty. Another thread of problem for the Han Company is who will become their next CEO? Will it be his wife Han-Jang Hanuel or his daughter Han Yae Jin. Who will inherit the company?”

“Yah~!!!” I yelled, throwing the remote control right at the screen of the television screen, breaking it and creating a small explosion in my room.

When the smoke came out of my room, someone immediately barged in.

“Ms. Yae Jin. Is everything alright?” It was my trusted assistant, Jeonhee.
Her eyes soon traced the shattered plasma screen.

I heard her release a loud sigh as she drew near me, “Ms. Yae Jin, that’s twice in one day. Soon enough we won’t be able to buy you a new T.V. if you keep breaking them.”

I crossed my arms and sat firmly on my bed and she followed, “I know you’re having a hard time accepting your father’s death, but you don’t have to result to violence. It’s better to cry it all out.” Once I have absorbed her advice, I reflexively burst into tears.

The world really hates me huh? Making me suffer all this crap; like I haven’t had enough.
Jeonhee gave me a comforting embrace, as I sank my face on her shoulders.

First Kim Jin Ho, now my dad?

Although I’ve only been crying a few minutes, I feel like my eyes were beginning to swell.
Let’s put it this way. I am officially raising the white flag. She gains sweet victory while I make a cowardly retreat!
I might as well die too. There is no reason for me to live. Losing everything I cherished, tears up my soul. I feel alone now. Jeonhee is here for me but for how long?

Life for me is like a boat. You journey through the great gigantic waves. Encounter strong winds. Experience famine here and there; one day crash onto a huge rock and eventually drown in the sea, lost forever.

I now formally welcome you to a life of hell…

♦~~~~~♦~~~~~♦~~~~~♦

Guess what? Jang Haneul a.k.a the beast strikes again. Turns out she sabotaged the car my father was in, that’s why he got in an accident. How did I know? It was all because of my assistant Jeonhee, she knows almost everything that’s happening around the house.  I don't know how she knew about it, i don't care how she found out in the first place, I trust her like that. The beast just did that to inherit the company, it was like she threw my father away like an old toy.

 

What a great plan! Seduce, and then get rich. It sounds pretty easy, that probably I could do it myself if I acquired evil genes similar to hers.

 

I wanted to report about it to the police, the sad thing is, she knew about it and threatened me that she will annihilate Jeonhee if I do so. I don’t want Jeonhee to get involved in to this mess. I have no other choice but to sit back and keep my mouth zipped. It is for her sake.

Revenge is the finest way to get her back and pay for all this destruction she caused. But I did not want to disappoint my late father. He never taught me that. He said it wasn’t the right way. Besides nobody really wins; it’s just an endless cycle that goes round and round. It was a lame excuse to face a problem. In honor of my dear father, I will stick to his teachings and never mortify him. The only thing I can do is to face the problem and try to solve it.

♦~~~~~♦~~~~~♦~~~~~♦

Today is the burial of my father; his coffin will be enclosed in a mausoleum, just in the vicinity of the mansion.
The ceremony would start in an hour, better get there now.
I wore a sophisticated dress and casual shades to hide my swollen eyes; I also carried a handkerchief to accommodate the tears I’ll cry out later.

I went out my room and I dourly tramped down the hall afraid of what will be waiting for me at the end. Once I stepped out the main hall, I recognized my dad’s portrait being carried down the stairs, followed by his bed cushion and frame.

What is going on here?
I did not hesitate to ask those workers moving my father’s stuff. The fawn sweaty man answered with his shrewd voice, “We’re taking these to the auditorium for auction after the burial ceremony.”

“Mwoh~!?” I harshly reacted.

An auction?

“Excuse us ma’am.” Then they continued their work, courteously ignoring me.

More stuff from my father’s room came out. My heels all of the sudden dragged me to the space; my eyes witnessing everything being torn down and packed up. I soon spotted Jang Haneul scanning every corner, her fingers strenuously massaging her temples.

“What’s going on here?” I questioned now stating it out loud.
She looked at my direction, “Are you blind Yae Jin? I’m taking your father’s things away.”

“To what? To auction them?!” I deeply protested.
“Precisely, since he’s gone, I believe there’s no reason for his belongings to stay here.” She stated with loftiness.

“What will you do with the room? And-and, have you ever heard of sentimental value?” there were tons of questions forming in my mind that it’s difficult to let them all out.

“I’ll turn this to my home office so I don’t have to come to the company office every single day. Your father gave me the company, so I have the right to do so.” The beast smirked at me. The dark make-up she wore did not hide her piercing eyes instead it highlighted them, “Oh, and sentimental value? This is the real world dear Yae Jin. If there is something worth selling why not do so? Let’s just turn these things into money rather than these objects just consuming dust.” She pursued as she lightly folded her arms.

“I won’t allow this!” I shouted, making everyone crowding the place halt for a moment.
I felt the fury coming any second now, I do not approve of this. Nothing will remind me of the good times anymore, I don’t want other dirty hands getting a hold of my father’s stuff and that includes her.
I continued after a long pause, “As the daughter of Han Yoo Jin. I will not allow this in my house!”

“Your house? You mean ours. We both share one power, honey however I’m more powerful.” She retorted.

The beast let out a soft chuckle and pursued, “Continue your work people, I don’t want laziness here.”

I began grinding my teeth not knowing what to do next. I felt helpless.

She walked towards the book shelves and threw each book -mostly the favorite books of my father- that she got a hold of, in a large box. She did not even dare to flip its pages, she just checks the title, and then in it goes right in to the box, ready for auction.

That scene finally triggered my violent side. I instantly stormed towards her and snatched the books from her possession, “Stop it! Have some respect for the dead!”

She stared at me dumbfounded.

I began running around pushing those men carrying my dad’s belongings and then shooing them away, “Stop! Please, stop!” I became hysterical as of that moment. I kept on shouting and pleading while tears voluntarily poured down. Jang Haneul watched me act foolish and embarrass myself before these strangers. She seemed to love the sight.

“Don’t do this! I beg you!”

I heard her footsteps nearing me. I glanced at her direction and saw her hand raised, directly and aggressively slapping me on my right cheek, my neck painfully jerking to the left. I gradually caressed my sore cheek, nursing the sting away.

“I thought you loved my father.”

“Yes, I loved him for his money.” She scoffed.

Loved him for his money? How low, so low! How dare she put true love in vain?

“How dare you!” I grabbed her curled locks and tried to haul her across the room, wishing she could die this way.
I pulled harder, resulting for her to cry a few tears. Fury was written and was flowing all over me. People like her should not live in this world, they should be eliminated. My fingers gripped tighter as I wanted to see blood.

Strong arms freely wrapped themselves around my waist, heaving me away from the beast. I soon lost power and I was forced to let go. It was one of her bodyguards who stopped my greatest satisfaction yet. I almost had her, her bodyguard, Mr. Kim, had to interfere. I childishly kicked my feet as I was elevated from the marble floor, “Let go!” I commanded. My arms and legs flying everywhere.

I’m like a wild animal caught. I moved about attempting to make him loosen his grip.

Jang Haneul fixed herself but she was not able to hide the throbbing in her visage. That second of seeing her suffer, oddly made me very pleased. I actually liked what I did. The beast shot me a deadly glare and ordered Mr. Kim to carry me out the room and me to the burial place. Weakness dominated and I was not able to fight back.

I was at the front mausoleum and everyone was inside. All of the sudden I experienced a bit of calmness, “Appa. I’m sorry.” I whispered.

My knees felt frail. I collapsed right at the stoop. Water formed in my eyes and poured down successively.

Now, thinking about what I’ve done. I don’t know whether what I did was right or wrong. It felt so right but my conscience says it was wrong and I suppose dad didn’t like what I did. In fact he did love that horrid woman. My anger goaded me to hurt her. I can’t blame myself can I?

“Ugh.” I sounded with frustration.

Why is this happening? What did I do to deserve this kind of life?

I hid my face behind my handkerchief continuing from my sobbing.

“Ms. Yae Jin?” I heeded a familiar voice. I peeked up, “Jeonhee.”

Her lips formed an angelic smirk, “Gwenchana?”

I was relieved I still have Jeonhee, my assistant and best friend. As of this moment she’s the only one I have. That I could entrust myself to, that could always be there for me when I needed someone.

My companion… hopefully for life.

“Everything will be alright.” She calmly uttered as she hugged me tight.

♦~~~~~♦~~~~~♦~~~~~♦

It has been weeks since that day when my whole world crumbled, my father’s death. The only thing I could put out all these emotions fully is through painting. Lately, I began creating dark themed pieces.

At my terrace, I sat solemnly as my hands gently brushed on the canvas. While painting, I was also meditating. What I’ve done wrong, what good I did, everything. This for me is a form of relaxation.

It’s so peaceful now; Jang Haneul is not in the premises of this country as of the time being. She went on some business meeting to be held at Taipei, Taiwan. She just left yesterday; I hope she won’t be back soon.

As I have said I paint with sinister subjects but for today my head started forming cheery ideas again. She should go on business trips or meetings more often. Not just stay here at her ‘home office’ and sit there all day.

I could totally breathe normally without her here.

The birds in my surroundings chirped gleefully as if they were celebrating with me; the breeze gently embracing my soul.

My contemplating was disrupted once I heard distinct footsteps drawing near me. I dropped my brush and spun around and I discerned a tall tan lad. When he was finally right in front of me I noticed this stranger wearing a bodyguard uniform, how come?

This man just stood there while smiling at me. That was the only time it dawned to me, this stranger at my terrace looks just like Jin Ho. With his nice jaw line, sharp nose, typical Korean eyes, a great model-type physique although the only thing that sets them apart is the two scars on his left eyebrow that somewhat forms a ‘V’ but it actually looks good on him.

Wait a minute… A stranger at my terrace, right in front of me and is smiling weirdly. Oh, shoot. Is this guy going to do something immoral?

When he noticed I was staring, he spoke up, “My number is 010 2786 3045. What’s yours?”

Wonderful… A goofball.

“Ok Taecyeon! What are you doing!?” someone shouted that got both of us startled. The goofball named Taecyeon suddenly stiffened. I viewed Mr. Kim professionally striding towards us, with an upset expression.

He bowed at me then faced Taecyeon ready to give him a short lecture.

“Taecyeon, how many times do I have to tell you that you can’t talk about personal matters with our masters?”

“I’m sorry.” He uttered in fluent English, while respectfully bowing at his senior.

I, all of the sudden butted in, “Mr. Kim, who is this man?”
Taecyeon grinned at me.

“Before he formally introduces himself, I would like to apologize for his misbehavior awhile ago. I’ll make sure it won’t happen again.” He bowed once more and took a short pause before continuing, “Introduce yourself to Ms. Yae Jin.”
“Annyeong, Ok Taecyeon imnida~” he mimicked Mr. Kim’s polite bow.

“I’ve been ordered to hire you a skillful bodyguard and it will be this man right here who is a professional in the world of boxing.” Mr. Kim further elucidated.

So that explains the suit.

“I don’t need a bodyguard.” I stated with confidence.
“You can’t say no. Ms. Haneul strictly stated that you need a bodyguard.”
I meekly protested, “What for?!”

“She said it was for your own good and for your safety.” He pursued, “By the way, Jeonhee is no longer your personal assistant. She is now in the possession of your company; she is now an employee. She will no longer have any connections with you.” Before I could retort he bid good-bye, “Excuse me ma’am. I have other plans.” He glanced at Taecyeon, “Your job starts now.” He turned about and zoomed out of the room.

I awkwardly gazed at my new bodyguard.

My face was painted with a dour expression trying to digest everything he said. She finally succeeded in taking everything away from me. Killing Kim Jin Ho, then my dad and now separating me from Jeonhee? The one I had left was now gone. Life is just so cruel and what I meant about life is Jang Haneul who took control of my life ever since the time she became the fiancée of my dad. He killed Jin Ho because she thought he was worthless for the growth of the company. I bet she was after the money back then. I was deep in my thoughts when Taecyeon disturbed me.

“Are you alright ma’am?” he asked courteously as I received a concerned look from this man I only met a few minutes ago. I was not sure if I could trust that he was truly worried.

I brushed the lock of hair concealing half of my visage, and then I lied to him, “Yeah. I’m fine.”
“You don’t look okay.”
“Don’t worry, I’m seriously fine.” My hands gestured an ‘x’ trying to convince him otherwise.

He suddenly pouted his lips in a cute irresistible way, “You don’t like me as your new bodyguard huh?”
He sounded like he was about to cry.
“No. That’s not it. I actually like you as my new bodyguard. You’re uh~ very~ ummm. Ma-manly…?”
That didn’t make much sense. Way to go Han Yae Jin! I don’t think those were the right words to say either.

Taecyeon’s face brightened up, “You like me?”
“Yes.” I answered shortly.
“As in, like-like-like me?” What is this guy talking about? He’s creeping me out. He might look like Jin Ho but their personalities are totally far apart. My eyebrows knotted, “Like-like-like?”

“You know, like me more than a friend.” He uttered while loosening his tight tie.
I instantly objected, “We can’t be friends on the spot. We only met just a few minutes ago.”
“Well, I already consider you as my ‘girlfriend’ so yeah…” he dork-ishly raised both his eyebrows up and down in a hasty manner.

Okay. Is this guy hitting on me? My frown was plastered. What should I do now?

I sighed, “Look, look. This is getting awkward for me so could we just forget this conversation ever happened and start all over again?” I stated although I didn’t get an answer.

Since he is my new bodyguard I might as well get to know him.

I eyed him, “You’re a professional boxer right?”

“Yes ma’am.” He formally answered. It was like a sudden transformation from this goofy guy to a gentleman.

“So how come I have never heard of you?”
He let out a short chuckle, “That’s because I’m a professional boxer not a famous boxer. There’s a difference.”

I shot him a sarcastic smile.

I thought of other questions to ask him, I went for the basics, “How old are you?”

“I’m twenty-six.”
“Do you have siblings?”
“None ma’am.”
“Where do you live?”
“I live next to your mansion at the employee’s dormitory, room number 120 and I don’t have any roommates. I have a bed, one fridge, one bathroom, a stove, some kitchen utensils, a small couch and a T.V. Oh, and a closet.” He stated with detail while he used his fingers to count the things in his room.
I laughed at him; I did not expect him to answer me factually. I was expecting more of ‘Somewhere in Seoul.’

I saw him flash his dorky grin, “It’s good to see you laugh ma’am.”
“Why?” I asked as soon as I ended my giggling.
“Since I saw your miserable expression, from that moment it was my goal to make you laugh. Now you did, my mission is accomplished!” he finished with bobbing his head.

He talks kinda weird or at least I find his way of communicating odd, somehow unique.

Although the moving statement, I did not respond and continued painting. My hands gracefully brushed its way on the canvas.

“You look beautiful when you paint.” Taecyeon suddenly blurted out. The brush froze by itself. I dragged my eyes gradually landing on his silhouette, “Uh~ thanks…?”

“Your welcome ma’am.” Seriously, he says ‘ma’am’ almost in all his sentences. Couldn’t he like use ‘Ms. Yae Jin’ too? Like any other bodyguard in this household? Ugh.

“Could you leave me alone for a short while?” I requested accompanied with a smile.
“I believe I can’t do that ma’am.” He paused then pursued, “I was sternly told that I should always be by you at all times. Except in the bathroom and when you’re dressing up and any other private matters.”

“How ‘bout when I sleep?”
“I’ll still be by your side. If you are uncomfortable with the idea, I could just stay out the room the whole night.”
He added.

“Staying outside my room would be fine.” I stated.
“Sure thing ma’am.”

I was drawn back to my painting. I made a few glances at Taecyeon from time to time. He just stood there with a classic bodyguard stance, watching me do my magic. I guess from the way he looks he was already entertained by ‘staring’ at me.

I don’t know… It seems like I haven’t lost everything yet.

This man gave me at least a little pinch of hope in my life…

♦~~~~~♦~~~~~♦~~~~~♦