Chapter 9

After You

Taemin has accepted the fact that some things didn’t go as he has planned, but befriending one of his class mate so fast when he plan to be alone is beyond surprising. Moreover, it’s a girl. She’s a Korean, the ultimate reason why she’s now sticking on Taemin’s side for like 24/7. Her name is Jihye, a year older than Taemin but she insists they disregard the honorific title because they’re in Canada, not Korea.

Jihye has been very determined on befriending Taemin. She wants Taemin to be her friend even though Taemin has implicitly declared that he isn’t interested in making friends. She doesn’t take it seriously. She considers Taemin as one of those many introverts whom she happens to meet and she takes it as a challenge to befriend them. She has experiences with people like Taemin. She knows she only has to be patient and persistent. Her bubbly personality helps her, a lot, to deal with Taemin’s ignorance.

Actually, Taemin is a little conflicted about having Jihye by his side because, first, his hyungs are very ecstatic when he told them about her. Hell, it was two hours long convo late at night with his hyungs questioned him about Jihye and gave out unnecessary advices about how to deal with a girl. They’re relieved to know that Taemin has someone around him. Later on, they don’t fret too much about Taemin’s life, which is good for Taemin. Second, it isn’t very bad to have her around him when he’s searching for Minho’s existence. She’s a lot of help. Since she has been living in Vancouver for years, she knows some areas pretty well. Third, despite her presence brings relief to his hyungs and lending a helping hand in his search, Taemin can’t stand her curiosity and her personality. And damn, she just can’t leave him alone. That’s why Taemin isn’t sure how he feels about her.

“Can you just go home?” Taemin asks, a little harshly.

“If you talk to me that way, I’ll call your manager and get you fired!” she threatens in a rather playful way. “How could you shoo your regular?” Jihye winks at him.

“You followed me all day today. Can I not see your face at least in my workplace?”

“I’m pretty and attractive; there is no way you’re getting tired of seeing my face, Tae.” She exaggerates a sigh, then taking a sip of her vanilla latte.

Taemin gives in. He leaves her alone to resume his work behind the counter. Jihye smiles over her little victory. She knows Taemin won’t bother to go on with pointless talk like that.

Jihye silently watches over Taemin from her table. She likes it, keeping an eye on him. She finds him interesting. When she first saw Taemin walking into the class, she knew that they would be friend no matter what. Taemin is so distant, barely talking to anyone unless necessary. He eats lunch alone; sometimes he looks like a lost kid. She admits that Taemin is an adorable boy, the one that makes you want to protect from the evils – even though she knows Taemin doesn’t need or want it.

The first time Jihye followed Taemin, the other boy was very pissed off, telling her to leave him alone. That day, Jihye learnt that Taemin is here for his lover. And it’s a boy, which means Taemin’s gay –which she doesn’t mind. Jihye doesn’t quite understand if the wanted boy Taemin’s boyfriend or already an ex but she's 100% sure Taemin still loves him – even if Taemin never admits it.

The second day, Jihye was beyond surprised to know that he takes a part time job. From the involuntary answer she received from Taemin, Jihye found out that Taemin is admitted to the university through a scholarship program by a certain company she doesn’t bother to remember the name. Jihye thought that the company would cover up everything. Later she discovered that the amount of money isn’t that much and apparently won’t cover his living cost since he has to track down his lover whose existence could be anywhere in Vancouver. At that, Jihye feels this inexplicable pain in her heart that frustrates her to no end. She fails to understand why Taemin dares to leave Korea and comes so far for the sake of love. Looking at Taemin standing behind the counter, trying his best to look friendly in front of the customer he is serving has touched her heart. Taemin really gives it all for the boy he loves. Jihye can’t find herself to leave him.

Most of the days, Jihye walks Taemin home from his part time job. It’s ridiculous. It’s Taemin who suppose to walk her home. But she insists on doing so, having ‘I’ll have my driver picks me up at yours, doing a project excuse works best on my parent’ reason every time she gets into a petty fight with Taemin. Taemin will sit with her on the stairs in front of his apartment building until her driver arrives. He never lets her in knowing the mess his roommate creates. It surely scares her. Some time at night, Taemin will get a phone call from his hyungs and Jihye will stare at him during the entire conversation. Taemin is cute when he talks to his hyungs, Jihye concludes. Jihye gets the feeling that they like Taemin a lot, guessing from the way Taemin talks to them and the content of the convo. Yes, she’s eavesdropping shamelessly. However, it warms her heart a little to know that there are people that care for Taemin out there, people whom Taemin can talk to comfortably.

*****

“How’s your university, baby?” his mom asks that night, at the dinner.

“Good.” Minho replies short.

“I hear you hang out with Changmin a lot. It’s good but don’t you want to get to know other kids in your class? You’re not the type to only associate with one person. You have a lot of friends wherever you are. Or are your classmates boring?”

“Yes, they are.”

His mom raises an eyebrow and shifts her gaze from the plate down there to the face of her only son. “Minho, I’m being serious here.”

“So am I.”

She lets out an exasperated sigh. She knows it. She knows that Minho won’t stop acting like this. He has been like this since they start living in Vancouver. She doesn’t like it at all. She loves Minho to the point of she will do anything to make his only baby happy. But she can’t let the fact that Minho’s dating a ‘cursed’ boy slip away. She actually doesn’t matter if her son is gay. However, her husband is on the opposite way. He takes it hardly. He won’t accept that his only son isn’t ‘normal’. He’s against the relationship and she’s supporting him just because she knows what kind of boy her son dated. Maybe, if Minho was dating a better boy, she might end up convincing her husband to let this go – as long as Minho is happy. She won’t endanger Minho’s life by allowing him dating that boy. She hasn’t ever met the said boy and she doesn’t even want to, afraid he would bring bad luck to her.

“Okay.” She gives in. “Do you want me to set a special class –“

“No, thanks” Minho cuts off. “Even though you play a big part of the university’s funding doesn’t mean you can do anything you want, Mom. I know you’re capable of it but please, know the limit.”

“Mom just wants to make sure you’re comfortable studying there. You know that your father and I will do everything for you.”

“I hope so.” he returns, a little sadly.

“Is there time when we don’t give you the best ones?”

“Our definition of best is clearly different.”

“Minho, don’t start.” She warns.

“Then let’s drop the talk and just finish the dinner quickly so I can back to working on my homework.”

They continue to eat in silence. It’s so obvious that Minho quickens his pace and it hurts her a little… to know that her son is no longer comfortable eating dinner with her. She has tried to win his heart back. She spares times to cook dinner for him, to dine together with him, but Minho is cold. He will praise her cook, like always. He will thank her for the wonderful dinner, like always. But they aren’t said in the same way they used to be. Minho is just cold. He doesn’t misbehave. He does what they tell him to do. But it’s just not the same anymore. Minho is like an empty shell. Her husband says time will heal him but she can’t stand seeing her baby in this state for too long.

Sometimes, she will lay on his bed with him, asking how life is. She wishes Minho will tell her how he feels, so maybe she can give him one or two words. Yet, Minho always says it’s great, everything's ok, and so on. He refuses to open up to her. She won’t give up, though. She knows that someday Minho will be able to accept everything and move on with his life.

“Are you done with your homework, honey?” she questions when she enters his room after she finishes cleaning up and washing the dishes. She finds out her boy is watching a movie instead of doing his homework.

“Yeah, just now.”

She sits on the edge of the bed and reaches forward to pet her son’s hair.

“Mom will leave for the rest of the week but I promise I’ll be back in town next week, so does your dad.”

“Okay.” It isn’t something new to Minho, being away from his parents.

“Dad will stay at home for several days next week. We three can sit and have dinner together. Mom will cook your favourites.”

“Thanks.”

“Be good when we are away.”

“I will.”

“Andy will be around if you need anything.”

“Okay.”

“I love you, baby.” She lands a kiss on his forehead before leaving.

“I love you too.”

“See you next week.”


A new chapter after two months! I'm sorry ><

Update will be hard because I don't feel like writing 2min. I'm fed up and tired with Taemin lately and it affects my mood when i write any of my 2min fanfics. I hope you understand and wait even more patiently (:

If you have spare time, you can help voting shinee for Seoul Music Awards (: