Chapter 8

After You

There are times when everything seems to be against you and you just feel so lost and the only thing you want to do is screaming your heart out of desperation. That’s exactly what Lee Taemin feels right now.

When he sets his foot in Vancouver for the first time, trouble seems to follow him right after. At the airport, he was totally like a lost kid. When he got himself a cab and drove to his apartment, he was thinking of resting in a nice apartment with fluffy and warm bed but he was wrong. His new apartment is barely comfortable. It’s not located in a good neighborhood. The building looks old and is not well maintained.

His room is on the fourth floor. He had to bring his belongings up by stairs, no elevator. And when he’s in front of his door, breathless and tired, he’s surprised by the fact that he isn’t going to live there alone. Taemin finds out that he has to share a room with someone else. He gets the feeling that his roommate isn’t a nice guy. And he’s right! Just a week living with him, he comes back late at night, heavily drunk with a random girl. Taemin’s glad he’s taking the upper bed or else, it will be very awkward having to watch his roommate eating up a girl’s face by the bedroom door. Taemin notices that he always brings different girls home every weekend which makes Taemin feels more uncomfortable living there.

They don’t talk much, really. Taemin doesn’t try to voice out his problem with the other’s habit because he isn’t interested on dealing with such things. Since he keeps his mouth shut all the time, Taemin really really wishes the other will do the same. However, he is not. Dean, his roommate, has been making fun of his Minho bear the first time he sees it. Later when Taemin is having nightmare, he will complain to Taemin about what a pain in the he is for screaming all night and disturbing his sleep. Taemin doesn’t really remember how it begins but he finds himself taking a sleeping pill every night because hey, it works. It helps him to fall asleep faster and easier, without afraid his nightmare will haunt him in his sleep and disturb his roommate. He tries everything it takes to not starting unnecessary arguments with his insensible roommate. Taemin only wishes for a peaceful life in his apartment because it is the place he comes back to after a tiring day he spends on the streets for the purpose of getting familiar with the place he’s living in and for the sake of searching Minho.

A month passes just like that, without much progress on his searching, much to Taemin’s dismay. He has been wandering around campus, just in case he may stumble upon the one he looks for. But the result is nil. Taemin knows the possibility is very small but he doesn’t want to give up. Not when he’s starting to feel a little lonely even when his university hasn’t started yet. His hyungs call him so often, text him like every minute, but it doesn’t help but adds the loneliness that starts to grow in his heart. At some nights when he misses his hyungs so badly, he will think of going back to Seoul the very next day. He will think that it’s a big mistake coming all the way to Vancouver for someone who has abandoned him. He will think that his hyungs are right, and regret for not taking their advice. However, by the time he opens his eyes the next morning, that blue feeling will disappear and he begins his day with the positive thought that he’s one day closer to the day where he’ll meet Minho hyung.

“How was your first day, Taemin-ah?” Onew’s voice is so gentle on the other line.

“Awesome! I think I like my campus a lot.”

“Good! Have you made friends with other juniors?”

“Hmm… uhh…”

“You have to fix that bad habit of yours and start befriending everyone. It’s important to have few friends since you’re all alone in Vancouver. What will you do if you fall sick and have no one taking care of you?” Key joins the convo and starts to nag like always.

“If he ever falls sick then I’ll fly to Vancouver and takes care of him by myself. I don’t allow random people touching him and I just don’t trust them.” Onew hyung takes Taemin’s side. Key’s grunt is heard and Taemin giggles hearing that.

“Don’t ever get sick, Taeminnie. Eat healthy foods and get enough rest, do you hear me?”

“Yes, hyung. I won’t make you come here.”

“How’s your roommate? What’s his name again?”

“Dean. And he’s fine.”

“He’s nice to you, right?”

“Yes,” he lies. “Dean never bothers me so far.”

“That’s a relief.”

“You worry too much, hyung. I’m doing fine here.”

“I tried. I can’t. By the way, Jonghyun will call you later today.”

“Yeah.”

“I’m hanging up.”

“Have a good day. Bye.”

When the phone call ends, Taemin’s back to his place, behind the counter, doing his job. Yes, he’s taking a part time job because his monthly allowance isn’t enough to cover his expenses. Well, it’s enough to pay rent and to pay for his daily needs. But it’s definitely not enough to cover up his transportation fee. He goes out too often for the sake of looking for Minho and the bus isn’t free. He doesn’t tell his hyungs about this. He is sure they’ll freak out if they find out. His shift ends at 10 P.M. it’s past his hyung’s curfew. His hyungs insist that he has to be home at 9 P.M. no excuses.

If he can be honest, he is tired. He’s tired with his new life which doesn’t seem to get better. And he is uneasy with his hyungs’ constant worry about his safety.

*****

Minho walks down the hall almost in hurry, avoiding some senior girls who have been trying to get his contact number. They didn’t believe it at all when he told them he doesn’t have one. In other word, Minho doesn’t have a phone. His was thrown at the airport by his dad right after they landed in Vancouver. And his cards are long taken by his dad and seem to never be back. His dad takes everything to make sure he can’t keep in touch with Taemin. Minho wishes he could get his cards back and secretly buy a phone.

Speaking of Taemin, Minho misses him so badly he wants to just run away and find a way to fly to Seoul. His last year of high school was the worst part of his life. Homeschooled, no internet access, limited time outside the house. Wait, when was he allowed to go out alone? Andy is always there following him everywhere he goes. Andy is one of his dad’s right hands. He is a nice man, really. But Minho will like him a lot more if he can just leave him alone. Isn’t it creepy to have someone standing like statue next to you when you’re lining up at the cinema? He still remember the giggles he heard behind his back and some people made fun of him, addressing him as His Majesty while making a way for him to get into the studio. He has no room left for himself anymore. Andy and the maids are watching him out. His only chance to hear about Taemin and his friends is when his dad happens to be at home when Eunsoo calls him. His dad likes Eunsoo very much he will give his phone to him so Eunsoo can talk to him a little. Eunsoo feels bad about Minho’s situation and guilty because she can’t help much. Minho says it’s okay, he is happy for being able to talk to someone he knows. Sometimes, on her rare phone call, she will tell him that his friends and Taemin are doing well. Upon hearing that, Minho feels like a weight just lifted off of his back. Never once after leaving Taemin in Seoul can Minho stop blaming himself and feeling guilty for leaving the love of his life just like that.

His life is getting better once he enters university life. At least, he’s allowed to drive his own car to the campus. No more Andy hyung tailing him around. But it doesn’t mean he has his phone and his cards back. Minho can’t believe he has to carry wad of cash on his wallet. He isn’t used to bring much cash and it’s annoying to have to pay in cash when he could just give a card and everything’s settled. Minho can’t deny that he is a littlespoiled. Yet, Minho is very grateful with the little freedom he is having right now. If he’s able to hold himself for awhile from buying things, he can get a phone by the end of this month. That way, he can contact Taemin and his friends. That thought is what keeping him from the attempt of spending his money on other things. Never in his life has Minho felt so broke like this.

“Minho!” a familiar voice calls him out, making Minho stop on his way. It’s Changmin, Korean. His mom once explained him about their relationship with Changmin’s parents but he is never interested with his parent’s business partner so he likes to remember Changmin as a boy whom he met on a business dinner and who visits him so often till they become sort of friends.

“Hey,” Minho offers a smile which the other returns. Changmin enters the same university as him. What will you expect? Minho’s family plays a big part of this campus’ funding so practically both of them are more than welcomed there.

“I’m glad I run into you because I want to take you somewhere. Oh God, I wish you have a damn phone so I can call you whenever I want.”

“Where?” Minho asks.

“So I’ve been checking out the girls here and none of them catch my attention.” He grabs Minho’s arm and leads him the way.

“No, I’m not coming with you in this case.” Minho pulls away but quickly being grabbed by Changmin again. “How many times I have to tell you that I’m not interested on girls?” Minho whispers quietly to Changmin.

“Yes, I know there is only that Taemy kid in your head but please, please, come with me. Who knows you’ll meet a pretty girl that makes you forget that kid.”

“First, his name is Taemin. Second, he isn’t a kid. Third, I’m not going to forget him, never.”

“First, his name is too girly for a man. Taemy fits him better. Second, from what you’ve told me all this time, he’s just a kid. Third, you need to move on from him.”

“Moving on isn’t on the options. It’s either running away or convincing my parents that Taemin is a nice person. If Taemin hears this, he won’t like you, you know.”

“I hope the day where you finally realise that both of your options are just impossible will come very soon.” Changmin exaggerates a sigh.

“I wonder why I even befriend you on the first place.”

“Because you have no choice.”

Despite the arguments; Minho follows Changmin all the way to the different building of their campus. As Minho recalls, this building belongs to department of psychology. Minho hopes they have bunch of pretty girl that will catch Changmin eyes so he doesn’t have to accompany him anymore. Yeah, sometimes he can be mean to Changmin even though Changmin is like the only friend he has here.


A new chapter

I didn't reread this chapter.

I hope there isn't much mistakes.

I'd love to read your comments.

And, oh, thanks for waiting =D