Chapter 6

After You

“I don’t get why people like to keep things from me, hyung.” Taemin confesses that afternoon when he’s alone with Jonghyun at the rooftop. “Minho hyung, all of you, and my brother.”

“We have good reasons and intentions,” is all Jonghyun can say.

“Yeah, but it hurts me to know that people around me keep things that I should have known. Sometimes I wonder if I’m not trustworthy enough.”

“It’s not that we don’t trust you. We do not want you get sad. We want you to be happy. But I guess we have to look for another way since we now know that it’s just hurting you in the end.”

“You guys should.”

Silence follows afterward.

“What are you going to do about Canada?” Jonghyun is the first to break the silence between them.

“I’ll tell you all when things are all clear.”

“We might be able to help.” Jongyun offers. A little bit worry that Taemin has to handle it alone.

“It’s okay, I’ll find a way. You guys just wait and see.”

*****

If anyone ever seeks for serenity in Taemin’s apartment, now is the right time. Both of them are busy with studying for entrance exam. Taemin is secretly working hard on his scholarship. He refuses to tell anyone about it, persistent on waiting for the result before telling his hyungs. Even Eunsoo who was offering this scholarship has no idea whether Taemin is pursuing it or not. Onew and Jonghyun has given up on digging it up and let him do it his way. Taemin wants to do it right this time. So when he finally meets Minho, he can face his hyung with confident.

It’s a lie if Taemin isn’t anxious about going to Vancouver because to tell the truth, he has never ever be there before and even if he’s good in English doesn’t mean he’s ready to live in an English-speaking country all by himself. However, Taemin puts that thought aside and tries to focus on his study. He knows that he can’t fail this time and worrying will only get in his way.

After a long wait full with anxiety and fear of failure, the result is finally up and the first thing Key do when he sees his name on the list is pulling Taemin in for a tight hug. Tears are streaming down his cheeks as he can’t contain his happiness for attending the same university as his best friends. Taemin can only smile and pat his hyung’s back in soothing manner. He congratulates his hyung and even takes him out for drink. Only the two of them.

“The others would be upset if they ever find out,” Key whispers half-conscious.

“Then keep this secret safe” Taemin’s tolerance of alcohol is clearly better than Key. Or maybe it’s just that Taemin doesn’t drink that much. “So you’re going to move in with Onew hyung?”

“It seems to be that way.”

“And you two are going to date for real.”

Key giggles. Taemin sighs.

“Which part of we aren’t going to do that you don’t understand, Taemin?”

“Whatever hyung,” he gives up arguing with drunken Key. “I’m happy you’re going to the same university as the others. I bet you guys will be famous in no time.”

“Sure thing, Taeminnie. We’re popular whenever we go.”

Taemin smiles on his hyung’s confidence. “Be nice guys, don’t be annoying jerks like you do.”

“Yaah! We’re nice men, you were just being an and –“

“I know, sorry.”

“Hyung,” Taemin continues.

“Huh?” Key’s eyes are half closed right now and he looks like going to pass out anytime soon. While waiting for a reply that takes a long time than needed, Key passes out. His head hits the table with a soft thud and soon his chest raises and falls in steady pace, signaling that he’s asleep.

“Hyung, I got the scholarship. And I’m going to miss you.” Taemin whispers softly.

That night, Taemin carries his hyung all the way up to their room.

*****

When Taemin tells the others about the good news, his hyungs react exactly the way he has expected. The congratulations come late and not to mention hesitant. The smiles are forced and unnatural. Taemin doesn’t say anything on the dreary response about his acceptance, he knows very well his hyung never want him to go. He knows very well his hyung have tried their best to look happy.

“Where are you going to live?”

“They provide us with apartment.”

“How good is it? Is it in a safe neighborhood?”

“I don’t know yet. Probably not as fancy as ours but I’m sure it is in a safe neighborhood.”

“Is it close to the university? What about your living fees?”

“I don’t know yet, hyung. They cover living fees as well.”

“How much is it? Are you sure it’s enough? You can’t use your credit card or else your parent will find out. You can take mine, or I’ll make one for you.”

“They give a good amount of money. I’m sure it’s enough. No, thank you Onew hyung. I can’t take that.”

“Are they going to fetch you from the airport? You don’t know where the apartment is!”

“No, but I can take a cab.”

“Take a cab and get kidnapped on your first day?!” Key’s voice goes three pitches higher hearing Taemin’s nonchalant replies. There is no way they can let him go like that. “Do you think we will let you go if you don’t give us full information about your goddamn scholarship?!”

“Hyung, I’m not going to be kidnapped and you all need to chill!” Taemin yells back.

Jonghyun inhales a deep breath before asking the key question, “When are you leaving?”

“In a week.”


Your long wait paid by this short update. Sorry :(

I've been busy with another fic hanging out with old friends.

Please wait very patiently.

I hope you all like this chapter.

The comment box is waiting to be filled XD