Chapter 1 - Unexpected Visitor

Unknown Territory

 

“YAH! KANG JAE, WHAT ON EARTH HAVE YOU DONE?!” a high screech pierced the peaceful Saturday morning. Jae flinched and covered her ears as her eldest sister, Eun Mi, stood in the bathroom doorway.

“I CAN EXPLAIN, I REALLY CAN!” Jae was frantic. “Just don’t skin me!” She stood in the middle of the bathroom, a pair of scissors in her hand. She was surrounded by a black sea. Almost all of her hair was on the floor.

“MI UNNIE. JAE UNNIE!” Eun Ae whined groggily. She was still in her pajama, which consisted of a large sweatshirt. She rubbed her eyes and scratched the back of her neck. “Why is it so loud? You know I was up late last night…” Ae yawned and stopped in her tracks as soon as she saw Mi’s scowling face. “Do I want to know what’s going on here?” Mi shook her head.

“If you’re planning to use the restroom, go use Eun Jung’s. There is a mess in this one.” Mi was trying to control her breathing as she was glaring daggers at Jae. “If this doesn’t get cleaned up by the time I come back, I will throw you out of the window. Aish.” She put her hands to her temples and rubbed them as she walked away. Against her better judgment, Jae took a look in the mirror and sighed. Her hair had now been chopped down to almost nothing. She looked down at the ground and littered all around was her hair. Her precious hair. She felt a bit of regret as she lifted the scissors once and to keep cutting the back.

“Unnie… why did you do that? You broke a promise you know.” Eun Ae was now in the doorway, her oversized sweatshirt sagging on her slight frame.

“I know I broke a promise, but I haven’t seen or heard from Kyung in eight years. I figured he wouldn’t be angry if I never saw him again.” Jae rubbed her head and tried to look at the back of her head in the mirror.

“Seriously, Unnie? I thought there was a reason you kept your hair for so long. I thought you still held some hope he would come back. I still think he’ll come back.” Ae frowned and stripped off her sweatshirt, hanging it on the doorknob as she stepped into the sea of hair, tiptoeing on what little floor there was left. She was in shorts and a tank top.

“AE DON’T START WITH ME.” Jae snapped. To tell the truth, I’m kind of mad at myself, too, Ae. She thought to herself. Ae bit her lip and sighed. She reached out for the scissors.

“Why didn’t you ask me in the first place? You know I cut hair better than you.” She laughed at her sister’s choppy hair cut and began expertly combing through the uneven mess with her fingers and began snipping.

“You said you didn’t want to help me yesterday. Where is Jung, anyway? She was supposed to be the one helping me with this.” Jae grumbled and crossed her arms over her chest. She was wearing an old shirt and shorts.

“Eh, well, Mi Unnie already found out, so I figured it would be ok for me to make you look at least presentable.” She chuckled to herself. “So, it’s for real then, huh?”

“What are you talking about, Ae?” Though Jae already knew what was coming next.

“You really like Minhyuk Oppa, don’t you? You looked pretty bad yesterday after he told you he was leaving.” Eun Ae was never one to sugar coat things.

“Oh, so glad you noticed.” Jae’s tone was sarcastic and bitter. Why would Minhyuk Oppa even try and hide the fact that he’s leaving from me, she thought. It didn’t make sense. Out of all of her sisters, she was the closest to him. Nothing made sense lately. Just then, the front door slammed.

“JAE UNNIEEE!” There were thumping footsteps and a sudden crash. Jae jumped up and Ae yelped.

“YAH JAE UNNIE! I ALMOST CUT YOUR EAR OFF!” Ae backed away and put the scissors on the counter. Jae, covered in hair, ran out into the hall and stared for a few seconds. Jung was sprawled on the ground and a boy was kneeling next to her. He had his hair tied up into a ponytail, while the sides were shaved. He glanced up at Jae and flashed a smile. Jae's eyes widened. She ran straight back into the bathroom and closed the door with a slam and rushed to the farthest corner away from the door.

“So… what’s going on?” Ae was calm and composed as always. “Anyone die yet?”

“He’s outside.” Jae’s breathing was becoming rougher. “I can’t believe he’s outside!  Eottokke?” she turned franticly to Ae. “Eun Ae, Woo Ji Ho, Eun Ae.” She was talking at the speed of light. “DID YOU KNOW HE WAS COMING? WHAT IS GOING ON?!” There was a knock at the bathroom door and both girls looked at it, one bewildered, the other confused.

“Jae Noona, that was you, wasn’t it?” the deep voice belonged to Woo Ji Ho.

“EUN AE UNNIE!” Eun Jung screeched. “You’re in there too, right?” Ae and Jae looked at each other, speechless.

“Zico? He’s outside?! How is that even possible?” Ae hissed, crossing the bathroom in a matter of seconds. “Why were you blabbering like that?” Ae rolled her eyes and punched her sister in the arm. “Get your act together!” she started trying to dust off all the hair that was stuck to her shirt. Jae tried to slow her breathing the best she could.

“What is going on?” Jae clung to her little sister’s leg. “Don’t make me go out there please! You go out first.”

“Unnie, it was 8 years ago and he told you he liked you and you flat out rejected him. He seems ok. Why are you the one traumatized right now?”

“But Ae, he told-“

“I know what he did. But for my sake, just act normal, alright?” Jae picked herself up off the floor and grabbed Ae’s shoulders.

“Promise me you’ll talk to me after all this is done, araso?” She looked into her sister’s eyes.

“It won’t be like last time. I’ve grown up.” Ae nodded and ran her fingers through her hair and dusted herself off. “We’re coming, Jung.” She slipped her sweatshirt on again and Jae grabbed her hand.

“You promised. Remember that.” She eyed her emotionless face and opened the door. Zico was leaning on the wall, his hands in his jacket pockets. He looked up at Jae and then to Eun Ae.

“Anneyong! Long time no see, eh?” he gave a half smile and ruffled Jae’s hair. “This is new.”

“I cut it. I’m talented, right?” Ae piped up. “You grew quite a bit from the last time we saw you.” It was true. Zico, who had once been shorter than Ae, was now a head taller than both of them.

“Yeh, it’s because boys are supposed to be taller, right?” he winked at Ae and chuckled. “So I guess that’s what you were doing in the bathroom, huh?” he tilted his head to Jae and nodded to the mess in the bathroom. “Stopped holding out hope for Kyung to come back?”

“Watch it, Woo Ji Ho. One more word and I’ll toss you out the window.” Ae’s eyes narrowed while Jae squeezed her hand. Zico put his hands up and shrugged.

“Ae, I’ll be back.” Jae’s mouth was set in a straight line. She grabbed Zico by the arm and dragged him out of the house. She slammed the door behind them and pushed him away.

“Noona, I didn’t say anything wrong, did I?” he bit his lip. Jae raised a brow and unleashed her anger.

“You know she’s still sensitive about that. Why don’t you understand? You never got it. You told Kyung that she liked him and she totally shut everyone out! On top of it, you and Kyung confessed to me… you totally ruined our relationship once before. If you do it again, I swear…”

“YAH YAH YAH JAE NOONA!” Zico interrupted her and grabbed her wrists. “I’m not staying long. I just stopped by because I’m on my way up to my new school. I was abroad in Japan for a few years and now I’m going to an all boys school.” He looked down and sighed. “And I’m just letting you know that Kyung is back from the States. He’s also going to school with me.” Jae yanked her wrists away and turned her back on Zico.

“Stop calling me Noona. I’m only a few months older than you.” She still sounded angry, but in reality, her heart was torn. Kyung was back.  Eottokke?!

Author Note-
Kekeke we have drama already. ^.^ Hopefully you stick it out and keep reading! It gets better, I promise.