Prologue

Unknown Territory

 

“Unnie…?”A loud voice called from outside the door.

The door creaked open and light streamed into the dark room.

“Are you kidding me?!” the voice grew angry and stomped into the dark room, kicking papers and books on the way to the bed. The covers flung back and revealed a girl curled up in a ball. Her black hair fanned out all over the tiny twin size bed.

“You know what time it is right? Everyone is ready to leave and you’re still in bed. JAE UNNIE GET OUT OF THE BED RIGHT NOW!” The younger girl grabbed the sleeping girl’s leg and dragged her out of bed. The sleeping girl fell on the ground with a thud, but did not stir. Two other heads peeked into the room. The tallest one shook her head and the light.

“WHAT, WHAT, WHAT?” The sleeper had finally awoken. “AM I LATE AGAIN?!” She pushed aside books and papers and scrambled for her school uniform which was hanging on a chair.

“Eun Mi Unnie… how did you get Jae Unnie out of bed?” The youngest girl crossed her arms over her busty chest and pouted. She looked over her shoulder at the tallest girl, who’s hand was still on the light switch.

“Turn on the light first. You should know this already…” the older girl scoffed and began walking away, her short bob hair swaying. She stopped before she was too far and turned again. “Oh, and Minhyuk is here already. You should hurry up or you won’t get to walk to school with him.” Her voice had a mocking tone. With that, the two other girls looked at each other and bolted out of the room and followed their oldest sister down the hall.

Jae was in shock. How could she make him wait? Everyone was right to leave because Jae knocked everything over, even if it wasn’t in her path. Everything fell and clattered off her desk as she stripped off her pajamas and threw them onto the desk. As she yanked her shirt and jumper on, she heard a set of heavy footsteps.

“Kang Jae, gwenchana? If you don’t hurry up, I’m not going to leave you.” His deep voice chuckled and he crossed his arms over his chest, leaning on the door frame to her room. Jae looked up and smiled, her long hip length hair was in her face.

“Oppa, mianhae! I didn’t wake up on time. I’m almost done! Promise!” she reached for her blazer and put it on roughly as she ran into the bathroom across the hall and grabbed her toothbrush and began brushing her teeth wildly. Minhyuk followed her with his eyes, his facial expression never changing. He sighed and followed Jae into the bathroom. He grabbed a brush, pulled her hair out of her face and began dragging the brush gently through her dark sheet of tangled hair.

“Not even your sisters do this for you. You owe me, araso?” He looked into the mirror at the girl and gave her a smirk. Jae nodded and started to rinse and wash her face to try and hide the deepening blush across her cheeks. When she was finished, Minhyuk handed her a towel. He fixed the collar on her shirt and walked out of the bathroom.

“Let’s get going, oppa!” Jae took a look in the mirror and admired her hair. It was her pride and joy and she loved it when he brushed it for her. She jetted out of the bathroom and down the hall to the door.

“AISH I forgot my-“ she turned around suddenly and bumped into Minhyuk’s well toned chest. He had been right behind her. Raising an eyebrow at her, he held up her socks. “Oh… heh heh. How did you know?” she quickly grabbed her knee highs and put them on without any effort. “My sisters left us, so we have to catch up.” Jae was already out the door and down the block before Minhyuk emerged from the house, toting Jae’s backpack.

“YA!” he called after her. “It’s no use if you get to school on time if you don’t bring your homework! And slow down! You look like a mess already!” She waited for him to catch up and she put her backpack on. They walked side by side with a quick pace. Minhyuk always walked with Jae and her younger sisters to school. Minhyuk and Jae’s oldest sister went to the same university which was across the street from her school. He had always lived down the street from the Kang household.

“Do you have exams coming up, Oppa? You do, huh. It’s almost the end of the school year.” Jae looked up at Minhyuk. He was about a head and a half taller than her, his light brown hair was extra perfect looking today. His eyes always looked mischievous, like he was planning something.

“Ah. I’ve already taken my exams.” He nodded. He shrugged and smirked down at Jae, holding her gaze. “I’ve already told your other sisters, but I’m changing schools, so I finished my exams early. I’m going to be dorming so I’m moving out next week.” Jae froze. Her eyes widened and all of a sudden her world stopped. Minhyuk was moving? How come she hadn’t heard anything about this? He was going to be living elsewhere. What did that even mean? Taking a deep breath Jae regained her composure. They were almost to the school. She stomped over to Minhyuk and frowned.

“Where are you going?”

“Jae, you need to go. You’re going to be late.” Minhyuk straightened out her blazer and the collar of her shirt.

“You heard me. Where are you going, Oppa?” she pressed him, her eyes staring at him full in the face. She bit the inside of her cheek and made fists.

“An Arts school. It’s an all boys school. You don’t have to worry about me finding a girlfriend.” He gave a weak half smile and patted Jae on the head and turned to cross the street. The wind blew from her back and she was enveloped in hair.

“OPPA, DON’T YOU DARE LEAVE!” She screeched and nearly tackled him as she hugged his back. “You. You’re going to come back, right?” she sniffled, trying to hold back her hot stinging tears. Minhyuk looked up at the pale blue sky and sighed.

“Who knows.” He looked down at his side, seeing Jae’s hair billowing in the wind. He grabbed a strand and it gently, letting it fall from his hand. “I’m going to miss your hair.” He slowly unwound her arms from his waist and crossed the street, never looking back. Jae made a 180 degrees turn, the wind now blowing her hair away from her face. She held her head up and tried not to let the tears escape her eyes. She walked quickly to her classroom and flopped into her seat and pulled out her cell phone and sent texts to  younger her sisters.

The day dragged on and at lunch, Jae found her two litte sisters. The youngest one, Eun Jung, looked Jae up and down like she was crazy. Her light brown hair was tied into a perfect high bun and her bangs were clipped to the side. The middle sister, Eun Ae, blew her outgrown side fringe out of her eye and put her hands on her hips.

“Eun Ae, Eun Jung, if you love me, you’ll help me with this…” Jae pleaded. “Don’t make me beg!” she used her puppy dog eyes.

“I’m going to wait and see what Eun Mi Unnie has to say about this.” Eun Ae huffed and stalked off.

“JUNG, PLEASE. PLEASE HELP.” Jae grabbed her youngest sister’s arm. “I’ll give you anything you want!” Jung’s eyes narrowed and a smile crept up on her face.

“Anything I want, huh? Well, maybe I can help you. But if Eun Mi Unnie finds out, I had nothing to do with it, araso?”