Chapter 9 - Sleep Walker

Unknown Territory

 

“You’re in love.” Yukwon spoke slowly. “In love with who?” He looked at Minhyuk suspiciously, gripping the neck of his guitar.

“You know that girl in the picture? Every time I see that Jae kid I think about that girl. It’s probably because they have the same name.”

“They have the same name…” Yukwon said, pronouncing every word carefully. “Is that why you were sulking last night?”

“I still don’t understand why, though. It’s not like they’re the same person.” Minhyuk was pacing and talking with his hands, nearly slapping Yukwon in the head. He ducked out of the way and lay his guitar down.

“So let me get this straight. You’re in love with a girl, yet you’re reminded of this girl by a guy?” Yukwon raised his brows. “I don’t think it makes any sense.” He rested his chin on the palm of his hands.

“That’s the point! It doesn’t make sense! There’s something wrong isn’t there?” The red headed boy began to grip his hair. “I mean I almost beat Taeil because Jae woke up in his bed.” His blood pressure was rising just thinking about the incident.

“Wait, what? How did that come about?” Yukwon sniggered. “Taeil, huh?”

“He sleep walks, apparently.” Minhyuk blabbered. “I woke up and nearly trampled Taeil. He was sleeping on the floor.”

“That guy is interesting, isn’t he?” Yukwon chuckled. “Honestly, I think there’s something wrong with both you and that Jae kid. Hyung, I think you just miss her and you’re thinking about it too much. Didn’t you say she had been avoiding you before you moved up here?” Minhyuk sighed.

“Yes, she was avoiding my messages and even walked to and from school separately. Her older sister wouldn’t really tell me much.”

“Yah, Hyung, it’s going to be fine. You shouldn’t be thinking about this stuff before class, especially today.” Yukwon smiled and slapped Minhyuk on the back. “What’s important is that you focus on school.” He was back to smiling and being his positive self. “Now, let’s get to class, araso?”

Meanwhile…

Kyung had finished getting ready and emerged from the steamy bathroom. He didn’t have class right away, but he had gotten ready anyway.

Maybe Jae Hyung and I can have breakfast before his class, he thought to himself. Not that he knew what time Jae’s classes were. Oops.

Thinking about Jae brought a smile to his face. He felt like it was easier to adjust to living in the dorm because of Jae. He didn’t feel like he was the only one. Shuffling to his room, he spied Jihoon sitting at his desk, gathering his books.

“Have a good day, Jihoon.” He smiled and began rummaging through his things.

“Oh, you too, Kyung Hyung. If we have a break in the same hour, we should get lunch.” Jihoon smiled back and nodded, shoving large textbooks into his backpack. “I’m off to my first class. I’ve got Math.” He raced off. Kyung looked up from his stuff to see the empty spot where Jihoon had once been.

“Yah! If Jae Hyung is in your class, keep an eye out for him, ok?” Kyung yelled down the hall. Jihoon acknowledged him with a thumbs up and left the dorm. Just then, Zico emerged from the bathroom fully changed, but his hair was still dripping. “Zico… why are you like that?” Kyung shuffled over to his friend and grabbed his towel, dropping it on his head. “You’re going to catch a cold.” He chuckled as he started drying Zico’s hair for him.

“I told her you hadn’t changed.” He muttered to himself. Kyung hesitated for a moment, but stopped himself from asking questions. “What time are your classes?” Zico spoke up this time.

“I start at 10:30.” He finished with the towel and put it around Zico’s neck like a scarf. His hair was sticking up in all different directions. “Make sure you don’t leave it like that. You must comb it out right away or it’ll dry like that.”

“I’m starting at 10:30 too. We can leave together. I have something to tell you.” He let out a breath. “It’s important.” Kyung tilted his head in confusion and watched as Zico stalked to his room.

Meanwhile…

Jae had recovered from the earlier shock and settled down on her bed, reading over her schedule. She was more nervous than anything but didn’t want to let them know. Zico burst through the door and slammed his towel down on the floor and flopped face first onto his Hello Kitty clad bed.

“MY BED SMELLS LIKE A GIRL.” He growled into the pillow.

“Oh, well, your bed looks like a girl, too.” Jae sat up. “You ok?” Zico’s face was still buried in this pillow, but he shook his head.

“I’m dead.” He turned his head to look at Jae; his eyes were full of worry. “You promise you won’t hate me after lunch today?” Jae raised an eyebrow and pursed her lips into a line.

“What is that even supposed to mean?” she asked. “I don’t think I get what you’re trying to tell me.”

“I’m going to talk to Kyung today. He may or may not talk to you about it, but I’ll tell you how it goes when we finish. When is your break?” his eyes looked like they were barely open. They were a little swollen from his lack of sleep mixed with worrying.

“If you say so.” The girl shrugged and tucked her schedule into her pocket. “I’ll have an hour break around one.” She stood up. “I’m heading to math.” She sighed and grabbed her messenger bag. “I’ll meet you at the cafeteria. Have your phone on you!” Jae left Zico and headed down the way she had practiced yesterday. Upon entering the classroom, she spied Jaehyo.

“I didn’t know you’d be in my math class.” He smiled and patted the empty seat next to him. Jae waved and dropped her bag as she slid into the seat. Groaning, she bent down to pick up a notebook that had slid out when she noticed something stuck to the back of it. She looked at it and giggled. Jaehyo just stared at her with his intense eyes and tilted his head.

“What’s so funny?” he tried to peer over the top of the notebook. Jae shook her head and turned the notebook towards Jaehyo and he read it out loud.

“Jae Hyung, have a great day. Whaiting! And what’s this… a picture of a carrot? Who is this from?” he cracked a half smile. Jae felt her heart flutter. He was really too pretty.

“Kyung. He was known as a carrot when he was younger.” She smiled, flashing back to the good old days. It was actually something she herself had started. Her younger sisters joined in and it ended up sticking. “Or so he told me.” she caught herself.

I should probably be more careful with what I tell people.

“He sticks to you like glue. I think it’s nice.” The green haired boy patted the top of her head. “I see why Taeil calls you Princess.” Jae’s mouth hung open.

“Wae?”

“Zico and Kyung dote on you.” He averted his eyes and pulled out his Math text as the instructor walked in. Jae did the same, but her mind was on different things, where as Jaehyo looked like he was paying close attention to the lesson. Jae drifted in and out of a conscious listening state as she began to think back to when she was little and had played with Zico, Kyung, and Eun Ae. She missed those times. Just as class ended, she felt a buzzing in her pocket. She pulled out her cell phone and frowned.

Unnie, make sure you call Mi unnie tonight. She’s demanding it. I love my new room. I finally put up posters. ;D

It was Eun Ae. She still hadn’t told her Kyung was back. She suddenly felt guilty. In all honesty, Eun Ae always acted like the older sister. Whenever Jae wanted anything, Ae would give it to her. They were close in age, almost exactly nine months apart. Eun Mi would always joke that Ae was supposed to be born first. In the end, the only thing Ae never wanted to hand over to Jae was Kyung.

“Jae, where is your next class?” Jaehyo’s voice brought her back to reality. He was packing up his things. Jae shoved her phone back in her pocket and scrambled to finish up her notes and slammed her notebook shut.

“I have History, Biology, Chemistry, and Dance class.” She shoved everything into her bag and slung it over her shoulder as she accompanied Jaehyo out of the room.

“You might be with Taeil in Chemistry depending on when your break is. I think Minhyuk’s elective is Dance as well.” He nodded thoughtfully. Jae perked up at the mention of Minhyuk.

“I see. I hope I have more of our Block in my classes.” The corners of twitched upwards and she bolted away before Jaehyo could say anything else.

I better figure out the fastest way to get to the next class or else I’m going to have a lot of tardy marks.

In her rush, she nearly collided into Jihoon’s back.

“Ah, Hyung!” he turned around when he heard her yelp. “Are you in my History class?” he smiled widely and in the process lost his eyes. He was adorable. Jae shook those thoughts away and looked around. She had made it to the room in time.

“I suppose I am! I’m glad I’ve got a familiar face in this class.” She moved to stand next to him but was bumped by another person. Her face slammed into his chest. Jihoon put his arms around Jae protectively, glaring down the guy who had pushed her.”Minhyuk Hyung!” Jae’s heart began to race.

“Sheesh, you’re so slight. I didn’t know you’d fly that far.” The boy with the flaming hair smirked and ruffled her hair playfully. “Mian.” Minhyuk kept walking. Jae didn’t even bother to look at him. She knew that if she did, she would probably start blushing or say something stupid.

“Ah, Minhyuk Hyung didn’t mean it.” Jihoon chortled. His arms were still around Jae. She tried to push him away, but he was pretty strong for someone who looked almost as scrawny as she was.

“Jihoon, shouldn’t we get into the classroom?” Jae coughed. Jihoon realized what he was doing and nearly shoved her as hard as Minhyuk did. “Ah. Hyung. I didn’t mean to.” He walked quickly into the room, embarrassment written all over his face. Yukwon was sitting in the back corner of the room and flashed his dazzling smile at them as he stood up and waved.

“Jae and Jihoon!” he said excitedly.

This class went a lot smoother than the first. It was a subject that she had relative interest in and Jihoon was good at keeping her focused while Yukwon was her comic relief when the class got too boring. They were really a great combo. Jae thought it was weird that Jihoon paid almost the same amount of attention to her as the teacher, but it was sweet and in a way reminded her of Kyung.

I bet Kyung is rubbing off on him because they’re roommates. That’s just great. Another Kyung.

When class was letting out, Jae checked her schedule with Jihoon looking over her shoulder. She let out a sigh of relief. She didn’t have to rush too much because the buildings were close. The younger boy pointed to her Biology subject. Yukwon peeked over her shoulder, but went back to packing his things into his backpack.

“You’ll be with Kyung Hyung!” he said happily.

“You’re getting along well with Kyung, aren’t you?” Jae inquired, making her way to the door.

“He’s always helping me. He’s a good Hyung.” Jihoon nodded. “He reminds me of my best friend. We got separated because I moved up a year and went to university early.” He sighed and scratched the back of his head as he followed Jae out. “I miss him.”

“Yea, Mino and Jihoon used to be dormmates.” Yukwon nodded and patted Jihoon’s upper back. “They were like real brothers.” Jae looked from Yukwon to Jihoon.

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, I miss my best friend too. She’s my younger sister. I have never been away from her for more than a day.”

“Your best friend is a girl? And your sister? Isn’t that a little weird, Hyung?” Yukwon glared at Jihoon and punched him in the upper arm. The younger one just flinched and looked confused.

Oh god, he probably thinks I’m gay or something now.

“We’re really close in age. She’s not even a year younger than me.” she recovered. “Even if she is younger, she acts like my Noona.” The pair had walked until Jihoon had to turn another direction to head to his class. He grabbed Jae’s sleeve.

“I’ll see you later, Hyung! I’m glad we got to talk.” He nodded and shuffled away. Yukwon put his hands on Jae’s cheeks and pulled her face to his face until their noses were nearly touching. The blonde was on her tippy toes just to be eye to eye with him.

“Jae, you know where your next class is, right?” Jae nodded slowly, not wanting her forehead to collide with the other boy’s. “Alright. I hope you have a good day then. Whaiting!” He let go of her and made a fist before he walked off in the direction Jihoon had gone. Jae was still for a moment.

What was that about? Why would he do that? What a weirdo.

Jae pulled out her phone and typed out a quick response to Jung before she went into the next classroom.

I’ll give her a call when I can. Did Jung get home alright? I miss you. I guess I haven’t grown out of sleep walking because I walked right into someone’s bed.

Upon entering, Jae scanned the room for someone she knew. No one. Suddenly, there were hands covering her eyes.

“Guess who.” There was a whisper in her ear. The boy’s breath tickled her ear and neck.

“Is it Minhyuk Hyung?” she guessed and her captor started laughing. It was Taeil.

“You like Minhyuk that much, huh?” he released her and sat down at an empty table, waving her over. She suddenly felt nervous all of a sudden as she took a seat.

“He’s a cool Hyung. And his hair is red.” She laughed cautiously. “But you’re cool too Hyung. I’m sorry again that I slept in your bed. I would do that when I was younger but I didn’t know that I did it anymore.”

“Yah, I told you to stop apologizing.” Taeil flicked her nose playfully. “It’s not a big deal, araso? Anyway, we traded secrets.” He smiled at her. He wasn’t particularly stunning, but he was just so nice and caring towards her, she couldn’t help but feel more comfortable around him. He had done nothing but help her since she came even though she still was a bit scared of him.

“Is it really that much of a problem if you have a fish tank in your closet?” Jae leaned in and whispered. Taeil shrugged and whispered back.

“Those fish are my pride and joy. I don’t know how I would live if I were separated from them.” He lay his head down on the table. Jae raised her eyebrows. This was definitely a side of Taeil she hadn’t seen before.

“Hyung! I will definitely keep it a secret!” she vowed. Seeing him so dedicated to his fish made her want to be more dedicated to her goals too. “Well, you can’t tell anyone about my sleep walking, either.”

“Only Zico knows about it.” Taeil assured her. “I’m sure it’s not too bad either, you know. Zico is a good friend to you, right?”

“You’re right. I should trust him.” She nodded. If he didn’t rat her out when he recognized her, he wouldn’t talk about her sleep walking. Jae shook away the thoughts and looked around the lab table. Labs were always her favorite. Getting to play with chemicals and fire was always a good time to her. Of course, being the first day of school, there wasn’t much playing, just listening.

“I’m sad we only went over safety today.” Taeil chucked. “It would have been fun to start experiments.” Jae nodded and shrugged.

“Hopefully, tomorrow, right? And I’m glad you’re my lab partner. We’ll have lots of fun.” She was beaming from ear to ear. “I’ve got a break now. Where do people usually go on their break?”

“I’ve got break time, too, but I’m going to my room to feed my fish. Try the cafeteria or text Zico. I know he has an extra long break.”

Oh yea, that’s right I almost forgot Zico had something to tell me.

Just then, Jae’s phone began buzzing in her pocket. She slipped the phone out and checked the number. Unknown? Warily, she answered.

“Yaboseyo?” she asked cautiously.

“Jae Hyung…” It was Kyung. “Something just came up. I don’t want to be alone. Will you meet with me?” his voice was stressed.

“Why are you alone? What happened? Where are you? What’s going on?” she bombarded him with questions while Taeil looked on with a concerned look.

“I just really want to kill Zico right now.”