Chapter 4 - Block B

Unknown Territory

 

Jae kept her head down and bit her lip. She hadn’t even set foot onto the school grounds and she had been caught.

“I can explain everything.” She pushed Zico’s arm off her shoulder and faced him, her eyes angry. “If you don’t say anything I’ll do whatever you want.” She was desperate to stay or at least see Minhyuk. Zico looked her up and down once, smirked, and began walking away.

“Yah, Kyung, wait up! You have no idea where you’re going!” he laughed and folded his hands behind his head. Jae stomped past Zico and stood in his path. Zico just raised a brow at her, the smirk still plastered on his face.

“Seriously. What do you want?” Jae pressed him. “I am willing to do anything to stay. What’s your answer?” Zico started to walk around her.

“My room is on Block B, number four. Tell Kyung to drop your stuff off there.”

“Fine by me.” Jae took off her beanie and rubbed her short blonde hair angrily. She sprinted to get to Kyung, who was overly excited about getting to the dorms.

They arrived at the dorms without any problems. Kyung was smiling and having a great time with Zico while Jae shuffled behind them. This is almost exactly like elementary school all over again, she thought to herself. She was lost in her own world when she ran into someone.

“Are you trying to get run over?” the male voice was irritated. “Your eyes are open but you’re not watching where you’re going.”

“Ah, mianhae.” Jae coughed and looked up at a guy wearing sunglasses and a cap. His face looked oddly familiar. She just couldn’t place him.

“So you like to stare too, eh?” he bent over and stared at her. She realized what she was doing and backed away, bumping into yet another person. She whipped her head around expecting to get scolded, but there was nothing. This guy didn’t say anything, but he stared into her eyes. They were dark and serious. His dark hair had a blueish green tint to it. Just then Zico piped up.

“Taeil Hyung, Jaehyo Hyung, don’t pick on the new kid.” Zico grabbed Jae’s arm and tugged her in his direction. Her gaze finally broke. What is with these guys! Jae rubbed her neck.

“What’s with the little princess? Late applicant?” The one with the sunglasses smirked at Zico and crossed his arms over his chest.

“So was I.” Kyung had dropped the luggage off and come back, putting a hand on Jae’s shoulder. “I’m Park Kyung and this is Kang Jae.”

“I’m Lee Taeil from room one.” He lifted up his sunglasses and stared at Jae’s face more closely and then to Zico before putting them back down. It finally clicked in Jae’s mind. This was Minhyuk’s roommate.

“I’m Ahn Jaehyo. I’m in room two.” The one with the dark hair stepped forward and he pointed to his room, which was across the hall from room one. “My roommate is Yukwon. He should be around I guess.”

“I see. That’s cool.” Kyung nodded enthusiastically. “Are the rooms set?” Kyung looked around. All the doors were closed, save for one, the first.

“The only ones with single rooms right now are Jihoon and Zico.” Taeil leaned on the wall. “You guys seem close.” He nodded to Kyung’s hand resting on Jae’s shoulder. Jae brushed his hand off and shrugged.

“We met on the bus.” She put her hands in her jacket pockets. “I guess I’ll room with Zico then.”

“Ah… Where can I find Jihoon…”Kyung looked around again, trying not to pay attention to what Jae had just did and put his hand in his pocket. Taeil cleared his throat.

“That guy is always in-“ Suddenly there was a loud yell coming from the restroom, which was all the way at the end of the hall. “…his own world…” Taeil finished, but looked suspiciously at the bathroom.

“You probably don’t want to know.” Jaehyo sighed and shrugged. “I’m going to go to the mess hall.” Kyung laughed.

“I can tell it’s not going to be boring here.”

“Yea, definitely.” Jae agreed and took off her jacket. Her clothes were plain and were loose. She had never been well endowed up top, so it wasn’t much of a problem to hide her chest. “I’m going to check out the room. You said it was number four right?” Jae started to make her way to the room, but something in room one caught her eye. She stopped and stared in the doorway.

“You really do like staring.” Taeil was behind her. He was looking at her, but his expression was hard to read with his sunglasses. “Do you need anything?”

“Ah, aniya, I was just wondering what that picture is.” She pointed to a framed photo of a boy pushing a girl on a swing. The girl’s hair was jet black and extremely long.

“Unfortunately, I can’t tell you much. That doesn’t belong to me, but to my roommate.” He paused and leaned on the doorframe. “All he says is that she’s a close friend of his. I didn’t even get a name out of him. Curious?”

“I was just thinking I should have brought a picture of my sisters is all.” Jae shrugged and continued to room 4. Her cheeks felt warm and her heartbeat quickened.

He has a picture of me?

She grabbed her luggage and opened the door. She stopped and stared into the room for a good minute or two before Zico came along and shoved her inside and closed the door.

“Yah, are you trying to make things obvious?” Zico demanded as he leaned against the door. “What are you even doing here? You don’t belong here.” Jae looked at Zico, just hung open.

“I think you need to explain this room first. I don’t know if I should be laughing or if I should be creeped out right now.” Jae shook her head. The room was covered in Hello Kitty, from the curtains to the desk, everything was Hello Kitty. Even the bed sheets.

“You. Stop avoiding my questions!” Zico pointed at her but she was too busy staring around at the red and pink clad room. Zico was beginning to get impatient. “Jae Noona!” That definitely caught Jae’s attention.

“NOT SO LOUD!” she hissed and put her hand over Zico’s mouth. “Kyung’s still outside! Minhyuk Oppa could be outside too!” Zico just stood and stared down at her, his eyes unreadable. “I didn’t think you would be at the same school as Minhyuk Oppa, much less be in the same dorm. But I guess either way, I wouldn’t have told you.” She removed her hand and backed away, looking at her bare side of the room.

“First of all, you came here for Minhyuk? I thought you came here for Kyung. Second of all, why couldn’t you just come visit like a normal person!” he grabbed her shoulders, shook her lightly and put his forehead on her shoulder. “Even though I’m mad, confused, and disappointed, I’m also happy at the same time.”

“Zico…” Jae bit her lip and patted the back of his head. “So you really won’t tell anyone, right?”

“If that’s what you want, I won’t say anything. I’m the only one who knows who you are.” He wrapped his arms around her slight frame. Jae tensed up. It wasn’t like Zico to be this touchy. She squirmed a little, but he wouldn’t let go.

“Kyung didn’t seem to recognize me. I guess it really has been a long time.” She confessed.

“You do know that Kyung has never seen you without long hair, right? Your hair has never been shorter than your mid back.” Zico finally released her and ruffled her hair. “If I hadn’t come to your house and seen you, I might not have recognized you either. We've all grown up."

“I suppose that’s true. It has been eight years. And my hair is blonde now.” Jae self consciously touched her hair. Zico shuffled over to his bed and lay down, his eyes on her face.

“Does Minhyuk Hyung really mean that much to you? I thought you had a promise with Kyung.” There was a pang of guilt again.

“You don’t think I knew that going into this?” she snapped and grabbed her bag, throwing it to her side of the room. “I know I promised Kyung I wouldn’t cut my hair until I saw him again. I was a different person back then. Kyung didn’t even try and contact me while he was gone, but for eight years I was patient and nothing happened.” Jae was almost in tears. She had never talked about this to anyone before, not even her sisters.

“You should probably talk to him about that.”

“I can’t do that. I can’t ever do that.” She sniffled and turned her back on Zico. Unpacking was such a chore. “I’m over this.” She opened the side pocket and found the half eaten bun. She had kept it because she was too afraid to eat it. “You want this?” she lifted it over her shoulder.

“I’m sure if you talk to him about it, you’ll understand why he didn’t contact you ever.” Zico sighed and got up to grab the bun. “Just trust me. If you talk to him, things could work out.”

“I thought I just told you I came here to see Minhyuk Oppa? You should just stay out of this.” She stood up to face him and the door flew open.

“ZICOOOO HYUUUUUNG TOTO’S GONE MISSING AGAIN!” A frantic boy poked his head in the door. As soon as he saw Jae, his eyes widened. “New students today?! I forgot. I TOTALLY FORGOT!” he rushed out and slammed the door.

“And that was Jihoon, Kyung’s new roommate.” Zico tilted his head to the door. “You better be careful with what you say around him. He gets a little crazy sometimes.”

“What’s a Toto?”

“You know, I think I’ll let you find out for yourself.” Zico took the bun and ripped off a piece, shoving it into Jae’s mouth.

“I’ll let you get settled in while I sort out stuff outside.” Jae chewed the bread and turned to her half of the room again. It was going to take a lot of work to make her side look more homey.

Looks like I’ve got an interesting school year ahead.

Jae had unpacked about half her luggage before she got bored. She still hadn’t properly met Jihoon and she hadn’t even seen Yukwon or Minhyuk yet. The curiosity was tugging at the back of her mind. Groping around the piles of clothes she had taken out, she found her hand phone and texted her sisters before making her way to the door. She was looking down at her phone as she walked out and she didn’t notice that someone was walking towards her.

“JAE HYUNG, WATCH OUT!” Jae looked up and saw Kyung reaching for her but it was too late. Someone had run right into her. Her phone flew.

“WHAT THE-“ Jae watched her phone drop to the ground and slide into a room. Spinning around, she came face to face with an unfamiliar, well sculpted person. Jae was speechless.

“Mianhae! I wasn’t watching where I was going!” the unknown guy bowed. He was wearing nothing put a towel around his waist. He was also a bit damp.

“Kikwang Hyung, you babo. He was the one not watching where he was going.” Taeil laughed. Jae was still stunned. Kyung was bent over laughing. Kikwang blushed slightly and shook his head.

“Oh… mianhae.” He smiled. “Well, I forgot my things in my block so I’m going to have to run.” Gripping the towel with both hands and securing it to his waist, he dashed out the door.

“Good luck. I’ll tell Minhyuk that he scared you.” Taeil yelled after Kikwang.

“So that’s who was screaming in the bathroom. Minhyuk Hyung plays pranks?” Kyung chuckled. “I think I like him already.” He turned to Jae and stared at her for a moment before he asked, “Jae Hyung, are you alright?” Jae nodded slowly and looked around for her phone.

“Did you happen to see which way my phone went?” she rubbed her shoulder absentmindedly.

Oh my god, I’m going to have to get used to seeing half guys. Why didn’t I think of this before?

Her mind was racing in so many different directions. Kyung was by her side in an instant, his face worried. Taeil eyed Kyung and frowned.

“Your phone went into Jaehyo and Yukwon’s room.” He pointed to room two. Jae went to the room and got on her hands and knees, groping for the phone. She didn’t want to intrude into someone else’s room, much less see something she shouldn’t see.

“Are you serious…” she muttered to herself. Her hand reached what she thought was her phone and she grabbed it. It was a phone alright, but not hers. She looked it over and rolled her eyes. “Who keeps their phone on the ground?” Suddenly, the light from the room and yet another unknown boy was in front of her, also on his hands and knees, holding up her phone.

“I believe this is yours.” He smiled at her. Startled, Jae jumped up and yelped and bumped heads with Kyung who had been kneeling behind her.

“Jae Hyuuung!” Kyung whined as he rubbed his forehead. “My head is going to have a bump!”

“You startled me.” Jae gasped and rubbed the back of her head. She looked at Kyung and burst out laughing. “Why were you behind me in the first place?” She rubbed Kyung’s forehead too. Taeil had just watched everything unfold with a straight face. He finally cracked a smile and stuck his head in the room.

“Were you in there the whole time, Yukwon?” Yukwon laughed and nodded, waving behind him.

“Minhyuk and I were waiting for Kikwang Hyung.” He got up off the floor and walked over to Jae and Kyung. “Mianhae for scaring you. It was priceless, though.” He raised an eyebrow at Jae and bent over and put his face right up to hers. “Minhyuk, he looks familiar, right?”

“Who looks familiar?” Minhyuk emerged from the room, his eyes landing on Jae. “This guy? Wae?” Jae stared at Yukwon and started to slowly back up. Minhyuk came over and tilted his head. “I don’t understand.”

“I can’t quite place him, but I know I’ve seen him before.” He straightened up and shrugged. “Anyway, I’m Kim Yukwon.” He flashed his brilliant smile, handing Jae her phone. His blonde hair hung over one eye. She grabbed hers quickly and shoved Yukwon’s into his hand before hiding behind Kyung. Kyung just stood still and smiled at the other two. There was a red spot forming on his forehead.

“I’m Lee Minhyuk. If you need anything, just ask me.” Jae peered over Kyung’s shoulder. This was the first time she had seen Minhyuk in months. His hair was a slightly fading red. Jae thought it was pretty attractive. Just then, someone burst into the dorm.

“I FORGOT MY CLOTHES IN THE BATHROOM!” Kikwang was back and still in his towel. Minhyuk rolled his eyes.

“You could have gone back to your dorm and changed before you came back!” Yukwon laughed and wrapped his arms around his stomach as be doubled over. Jae tried to suppress her laugher as she buried her face into Kyung’s shoulder. Taeil pulled his sunglasses down and just looked at Kikwang and shook his head.

“Well, Hyung, you’ve outdone yourself this time.”

“Don’t just stand there, go get them.” Minhyuk tilted his head towards the bathroom. Kyung snickered to himself. “Oh, don’t worry, no one died in the bathroom. That was just my hair dye.” Minhyuk called after him as Kikwang ran into the bathroom. Yukwon patted Jae on the back and elbowed Kyung’s arm

“Welcome to Block B.”

 

AUTHOR NOTE:

Sorry about the delay on this chapter. I made it quite a bit longer, so I hope you don't mind. I've been quite busy lately.

Forgive me! ;~;