Chapter 8 - Sleepover

Unknown Territory

 

Jae had to cover before she let out a screech. She slid down the door and put her forehead on her knees.

 

“Unnie, it took you long enough to get back!” Jung complained. “I’ve been waiting in the dark for a long time.” She stood up and knelt down next to Jae. “Who’s your roommate anyway? Their half of the room is ridiculous.”

 

“That is Woo Jiho’s bed.” She sighed, flinging the bag she was holding onto her bed. “It’s so late. You’re never going to get home on time. What is Mi Unnie going to say?” Jae began pacing. “I have school tomorrow. What are we going to tell-“ her rant was cut off when the door opened and Zico stepped in, looking down at Jung who was still on the floor. She scooted back to Jae’s legs and put a finger to , shushing him. Zico closed the door quickly and put his hand over his eyes.

 

“What is going on now? You’re back again?” Jung looked at Zico smugly.

 

“I’m sleeping over.” She announced happily. Both Jae and Zico gasped in surprise. Jae looked at Zico’s angry face then back to her little sister.

 

“Jung, you can’t. This place isn’t safe for you. Zico might attack you in the night.” Jae side glared and turned back to Jung. 

 

“Can’t you get home?” Jung glanced from Jae to Zico and back to Jae once again. Zico, who was trying to ignore their conversation, went and lay down on his bed facing the wall, playing with his phone.

 

“If it wasn’t this late, maybe I could have gone home.” She shrugged. “It’s not a big deal. I’m used to sleeping on the floor.” She shrugged and pulled off her cardigan, laying it on the floor.

 

“No, it’s ok, Zico will sleep on the floor.” Jae nodded. When Zico heard his name he sat up and folded his arms over his chest and pouted. “You have to leave early tomorrow. I don’t want anyone to find out about you.” She sighed. “Kyung already saw you.” Jung’s eyes widened and she propped her elbows up on Jae’s bed, her chin resting on her hands.

 

“I was surprised when I saw him, too. What was it like when you saw him again? Were you happy?” Jae kept a straight face and shrugged. She didn’t really want to discuss anything with Zico in the room.

 

“I’ll tell you about it some time. I need to change and get to sleep.” She rummaged through her half unpacked things and grabbed an oversized t-shirt and her basketball shorts. She found another large shirt and threw it at her littlest sister. 

 

“Hopefully that fits you. It’s big on me as well.” Jung looked at the shirt and shook her head.

 

“This should fit just right. You know my chest can’t handle your shirts.” She giggled and stood up, nearly stripping off her shirt before Jae stopped her.

 

“Uh, Zico is over there.” She tilted her head towards him. He was still pouting. “You can change in the closet.”

 

“I wasn’t going to look. She’s not my type. Her legs aren’t even long enough.” Zico rolled his eyes and grabbed his bedding and dumped it on the floor. “I’m only doing this once. If you try to sleep over again, I’m going to report you.” He muttered.

 

“Yah, Woo JiHo, quit it. You know you love me.” she hit him with the t-shirt and laughed. “I don’t want you to be interested anyway. You’re not my type, either pineapple head.” She teased and walked over to the closet. It was small and tight, but she managed to get changed. Jae was grabbing an extra blanket.

 

“Mian, Zico. You can have my bed if you want.” Jae offered as Zico was setting up his sleeping area below his desk. He looked up at her and shook his head and pulled his ponytail out, shaking out his hair like a dog.

 

“I couldn’t let you sleep on the floor.” He flipped onto his stomach and looked at Jae. “I’m going to look out for you.” He smiled. Jae rolled her eyes.

 

“I don’t need anyone to look out for me. I can do it myself.” She said stubbornly as she tossed the extra blanket onto Zico’s bed. “Kyung has been doing enough of that anyway.” She muttered under her breath.

 

“You know, Kyung hasn’t changed.” Zico said quietly, hugging his pillow closer to him.

 

“What does that even mean, Zico?” Jae eyed Zico. His expression was serious.

 

“Kyung has always been like that. Ever since we met him, he’s been the one who protected you. That’s probably why you chose him back then.” He seemed to be feeling sadder by the second.

 

“Oh is that why you were spacing out at the restaurant?” she sighed. “You know, that was a long time ago. I’ve already forgotten about it.” Just then, Jung emerged from the closest.

 

“Unnie, you can go change.” She smiled. Her shirt was all folded up and she laid it next to her cardigan. She shirt she was wearing was a little snug around her chest, but it fit. It was also very long.

 

“I’ll be back.” She grabbed her pajamas and her toiletries bag and left the room, making sure to close the door behind her. Jung made her way to Zico’s bed and she lay on her back, her feet to the wall and her hair hanging off the edge of the bed. She was staring at the ceiling.

 

“Zico Oppa.”

 

“Eun Jung. What is it?”

 

“Do you think Unnie still likes Kyung? She seemed so angry at him the last time. Now she seems indifferent.”

 

“Why are you asking me?” Zico turned over to face his bed. “I’m just her friend. That’s all. You’re her sister.” He mumbled, eyes beginning to close. He felt mentally drained.

 

“Well, this morning she was the same and tonight it’s like she changed.” Jung was looking at her feet on the wall. “You know, it took her three years to stop writing him letters.”

 

“I know.”

 

“How would you know that?” Jung sat up and looked at Zico, whose eyes were now closed.

 

“All the letters she sent Kyung made it to me instead. I still haven’t given the letter to Kyung. I was going to but she came with him and I just got scared.” Jung glared at him and scoffed.

 

“Well are you going to give them to him? This is crazy. Why would you keep them? Have you read them? How many are there?” she pelted the boy with questions, but he kept silent. “You’re not asleep.” Jung pressed him. Then the door flung open and Jae popped in dressed in her pajamas, her clothes folded neatly in her arms.

 

“Jung, will you quit bothering Zico? He’s probably really tired. I mean you’re already making him sleep on the floor tonight.” Jae reprimanded Jung. She rolled her eyes and shrugged.

 

“It’s kind of a big deal, but whatever.” She muttered under her breath and began to get comfortable in the bed. “Night, Unnie.”

“Sweet dreams, Jung.”

 

Later that night…

 

Zico was woken from his slumber by a hard kick to his side. He had fallen asleep without changing and he was sleeping on the floor. He was cranky and uncomfortable and he couldn’t identify who kicked him because all of his hair was in his face.

 

“Yah, what was that for?” he growled groggily as he sat up immediately. He heard the door close and he looked around the room through his hair. Jung was still in bed, unmoving. Jae was nowhere to be seen. Scrambling to his feet, he opened the door as carefully and quietly as possible and crept out, following Jae.

 

Why am I doing this? She probably just needs to go to the bathroom.

 

Zico watched Jae’s back in the darkness, but she wasn’t heading towards the bathroom, she was going towards someone’s room. The girl didn’t even pause as she threw open the door to room one. Zico followed behind her, watching her climb into Minhyuk’s bed. She pulled back the covers and lay down right beside him. Luckily, Minhyuk was his side towards the wall and was not even disturbed.

 

“Kang Jae!” He hissed. “Get over here right now!” Zico began to panic. “Jae Unnie!”

 

“So she is a girl.” Taeil was sitting up in his bed, watching the whole situation unfold before his eyes. Zico whipped around and slapped his forehead.

 

“Hyung! You scared me half to death.” He breathed. “Ah. Jae is a boy. I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He tried to cover up his mistake. Taeil got up out of bed and slowly made his way to Minhyuk’s desk.

 

“This is Jae, isn’t it?” he lifted up the picture frame that had been turned over. “I overheard her on the phone. I’m not going to tell anyone and I’m not going to turn her in, but you should probably do a better job of looking after her. It’s her first night and she’s already doing that…” he trailed off. Zico grabbed her arm and Taeil stopped him. “If you do that, she’ll wake up and Minhyuk will probably wake up too.”

 

“Well, what do you suggest we do then? We can’t leave her there. Minhyuk Hyung will definitely freak out.” Zico raked a hand through his hair in an attempt to move it from his eyes, but the hair fell back into place. “Some of us have to wake up in a few hours.” He glanced at the digital clock on the desk. It read 5:30AM.

 

“Well, go back to your room. I’ll take care of it.” Taeil patted Zico’s shoulder. “I am the resident advisor of Block B after all.” Zico grumbled.

 

“That’s kind of what I’m afraid of.” He released Jae’s arm and went back to his room reluctantly. He didn’t know if he could trust Taeil just yet. It was just strange to him that he had figured it out so fast. Slipping back into the room, he took his place on the ground. He looked over at Jung, who was sound asleep. He began to remember their conversation last night. Zico had purposely faked sleep to avoid them. They were things he didn’t really want to ask himself to tell the truth.

 

If I give Kyung the letters now, they’ll both hate me. Why did Jae Unnie have to choose Kyung over me in the first place? It doesn’t make any sense. How am I going to do this?

 

Questions and thoughts kept running through Zico’s mind. The sun started to peek through the blinds in the window and the birds began to wake up and sing. Jae was still not back to their room. A loud buzzing noise followed by an obnoxious rooster’s crow came from his bed. Jung shot up and rubbed her eyes, her hair was a curly mess. She looked to the empty bed on the other side of the room and then down to Zico’s figure, who was staring straight at her. She glared at her phone and turned off the alarm.

 

“Is Unnie in the restroom?” she asked, her voice hoarse. “I thought her classes were around 9:30? It’s only 7:30.” Zico only nodded his head, and then rolled over. “What’s wrong with you? Did you not get enough sleep? Why are you looking at me like that? I know my hair is a little bit crazy, but you probably don’t look much better, araso?” Zico just stood up and without looking Jung in the face, he pulled down her shirt which had ridden up in her sleep. Jung shrugged and smiled sheepishly. 

 

“Ah. Oops.”

 

“Your sister is a sleep walker?” he asked quietly, still looking away from the younger girl.

 

“She used to when we were really young. She would always climb into Mi Unnie’s bed. Why?” Jung adjusted the shirt some more and started stretching her arms.

 

“She did that last night. She hopped into Minhyuk Hyung’s bed.” Zico ran both his hands through his hair. “I have a bad feeling about all this. I left her with Taeil Hyung but-“ he didn’t have time to finish as Jung whizzed past him going towards the door. He grabbed the hem of her shirt and pulled her back before she got her hands around the doorknob.

 

“Are you serious? You left her with another guy? You don’t know what’s going to happen! Why would you do that? Are you stupid?” Jung was nearly shrieking and clawing at the hand that was holding her back. She tried to kick him a couple of times but her legs didn’t reach quite far enough.

 

“Yah, be quiet. People are still sleeping. You can’t leave this room until everyone has gone. You want to get everyone expelled?” he hushed the frantic Jung. When she stopped tugging at his hand, he released the shirt and put his face in his hands. “Anyway, she knew the risks when she decided she wanted to go to school here in the first place.”

 

“So what are you doing? Go get her! Zico Oppa!” she flounced next to him, pouted and clung to his upper arm, her chin resting on his shoulder. “How could you do that to her?”

 

“I didn’t really have a choice. You know you shouldn’t assume that I would just leave her like that.” His lack of sleep was causing him to be snappy. “I’m not like that.” Jung backed off a little ways and narrowed her eyes.

 

“Oh, I get it.” She put her hands over . “You still like her.” It was muffled but Zico could still hear it. He grabbed the nearest pillow and flung it at Jung but missed and hit the door.

 

“OOF!” the door made a noise and the two stared in surprise. Jae had caught the pillow straight in the face. “Yes, good morning to you, too, Zico.” She rubbed her nose as she closed the door behind her. Zico stood immediately and picked the pillow up and dusted it off. It was one of his Hello Kitty pillows.

 

“Mianhae.” He chuckled. Jung pushed past the boy and hugged Jae around the waist, squeezing her tightly.

 

“Jae Unnie where were you? You went sleep walking again?”

 

“I guess I did?” wheezed Jae. “Can you let go? I have to get ready for classes and you have a bus to catch.”

 

“Hold on, so what happened?” Jung pressed. “You could have been found out that way.” Jae shook her head and pushed her younger sister towards the closet to change.

 

“I was fine. I woke up in Taeil Hyung’s bed and he was sleeping on the floor. He also let me in on a secret of his. He is really nice after all. He seemed like a bully when we first met. I was a little bit afraid of him.”

 

“So nothing happened? He didn’t find out?” Zico tilted his head slightly.

 

What is this guy trying to do? What is his motive? Zico couldn't wrap his mind around Taeil's actions.

 

Jae shook her head and sat down on her bed, swinging her feet. She felt a little like a stranger in her own room.

 

“If he did anything to hurt you…” Zico trailed off and remembered his conversation with Jung. “Nevermind.” He finished and started searching for clothes, his toiletries, and his towel. “I’m going to take a shower and get ready for classes.” He murmured as he wandered out of the room.

 

“Jung, hurry up. Your bus, remember!” Jae knocked on the closet door and stubbed her toe on something sharp on the way back to her bed. She inhaled sharply and bit her lip as he hopped up and down on her uninjured foot. The blonde felt warm liquid seeping through her fingers.

 

Great. I’m bleeding. This is exactly what I need. What the hell did I run into in the first place that would make me bleed?

 

She hopped over to the edge of her bed and crouched down, being careful of her bleeding toe. She rediscovered the bag she received from the restaurant the night before.

 

Oh yea, that’s right. I have a job now. And I still have to tell Jung about her new tutor! She giggled to herself.

 

“Why are you so creepy? And how is it that I go change and come back and you’re injured?” Jung was sitting on her haunches next to Jae, just watching her laugh by herself.

 

“Like you’re any better than me. You’re always off in some other world.” She cleared , and nudged Jung. “Yah, before Zico comes back, go through his desk and see if he has any band aids.” She instructed.

 

“How much you wanna bet they’re Hello Kitty bandages?” she giggled as she skipped over to Zico’s Kitty clad desk and opened up a drawer and closed it immediately.

 

I don’t think I was supposed to have seen those, she sighed.

 

She had found the letters from Jae and it took every ounce of her will power not to reach back into the drawer and take the letters out. Rummaging through other drawers she found some band aids and pulled one out for Jae.

 

“Oh, I forgot to tell you, but I got you a tutor.” Jae was beaming with pride, while Jung stomped over and ripped the band aid open.

 

“Are you kidding me? I don’t need a tutor. If anything, Ae Unnie needs the tutor. I’m doing great in school-“

 

“Yah! I’m just keeping my half of the bargain, ok?” Jae interrupted. “And I still need that to cover my wound. Don’t rip it to shreds, araso?” Jung pouted a bit and shrugged. She had nearly forgotten about the promise.

 

“I guess so. Well, who is he?” a small smile creeping up on her face. “You know something I don’t, right?” she raised a brow at her smiley older sister. Jae yanked the bandage from Jung and put it on, despite her red fingers.

 

“Well, I’ll let Kikwang Hyung know that you’re going to need a tutor, then.” She giggled.

 

“Jae Unnie how did you know!” Jung lightly shoved her sister. “I didn’t even tell you! You’re amazing, Unnie!”

 

“I know, I know. You better not forget your half of the deal. I found you a potential boyfriend. Now you have to remember what I told you.” Jae stood up and looked at her foot. It looked a lot worse than it actually was. There was blood everywhere.

 

“I will keep it up. Mi Unnie hasn’t asked you any suspicious questions, right? I’m doing my part.” Jung looked down at the gruesome looking scene in front of her and grabbed a napkin from her cardigan pocket and put it into Jae’s hands. “Why didn’t you clean yourself off before you applied to bandage?”

 

“I’m running late. I don’t have time. You are due to catch the bus soon, too.” Jae dabbed the napkin on her foot and went to hug Jung, but she scooted out of the way.

 

“No, don’t. It’s ok. You’re a mess.” She waved and gathered her hair into a fluffy top knot. “I’ll see myself out. I will be back next time, Unnie!” she pecked Jae on the cheek and slowly opened the door, checking if the coast was clear, then slipped out. Jae turned her attention back to the bag with her maid uniform in it. The hanger had been sticking out and that’s what cut her. Taking the uniform out of the bag, she hung it in the very back of her closet and she stuck the bag with extensions in the corner. Having someone find those could be disastrous. Grabbing toiletries, she headed for the bathroom. It was getting close to class time.

 

“I’m going to use the bathroom, even if I have to break down the door on Zico.” She muttered to herself. The hallway seemed abandoned. “Yah, Woo Ji Ho!” Jae pounded on the door with her fist and the door opened surprisingly fast. Steam poured out of the bathroom and there stood Kyung, clad in just a towel around his waist.

 

“Jae Hyung! Morning!” he greeted her cheerfully. “Did you want to use the bathroom, too?”

 

“Too? Who else is in there?” she stood on her toes, trying to catch a glimpse of who else was jammed into the bathroom. 

 

She saw Minhyuk and Jihoon fighting for part of the mirror. Jihoon crouched down, trying to get a good look at the back of his head while Minhyuk was trying to style his hair. Jae winced a bit before settling back down to face Kyung.

 

“That’s it? I come from a house full of girls. This is nothing.” She smirked, barreling her way in towards the sink.

 

“You have all sisters?” Jihoon asked in amazement. “I don’t think I could live like that. It’s already hard enough here.”

 

“It’s ok. I always took the least time, anyway.” She started brushing her teeth, watching Minhyuk in the mirror. The youngest boy weaved his way through the others to get out of the restroom, while Kyung also started brushing his teeth.

 

“YAH ZICO HYUNG! YOU’RE DROOLING ON MY PILLOW!” Jihoon bellowed. There was a loud thump and Zico bounded into the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

 

“Fell asleep, did you?” Kyung’s face was smug. “You need to stay up for the first day of classes.”

 

“I was so excited I didn’t sleep well.” He confessed. Jae spit toothpaste into the sink and couldn’t help but feel guilty. “You were up bright and early, right Hyung?” Zico asked Minhyuk. The red head nodded slowly, eyeing Jae.

 

“That one woke Taeil and me up. He someone sleepwalked himself into Taeil’s bed.” Zico rolled his eyes, Jae blushed, and Kyung laughed.

 

“Mian!” she coughed. “I haven’t done that since I was a child.” Jae finished with her teeth and began washing her face, trying not to let Kyung or Minhyuk see her pink cheeks.

 

“Yah, didn’t our friend Jae used to sleep walk?” he nudged Zico’s shoulder. Zico shrugged and shook his hair out.

“I don’t recall.” He headed for the shower, stripping his shirt off.

 

“Kyung, I’ll see you for dance class.” Minhyuk gave the younger boy a half smile before exiting the bathroom.

 

“Later.” Kyung called after Minhyuk before the door closed again. He turned his attention to Zico, who was in the process of getting into the shower. “So how much sleep did you really get? You were in my room for a good five minutes before you knocked out.”

 

“I woke up around 5:30.” He the water. Jae had just finished washing her face and patting it dry when she noticed that Kyung was no longer wearing a towel. He was in his boxers. Not even wanting to guess what Zico looked like, she gathered her things and rushed outside, nearly running Minhyuk over.

 

“You’re in a rush today aren’t you?” he chuckled. Jae bowed apologetically.

 

“I’ve got to get all of my things together. I apparently chose classes that were extremely far from each other.” She shrugged and rubbed the back of her neck nervously. “My first class is soon as well. I’m sure I’ll see you around, Hyung!” and she rushed off. Minhyuk watched her back retreating and caught himself smiling after her. Shaking his head, he walked into Jaehyo and Yukwon’s room.

 

“Kwon, I don’t know what’s going on in my head.” Minhyuk grumbled as he walked in on Yukwon playing his guitar.

 

“Hyung! What’s wrong?” he stopped immediately and gave the redhead puppy dog eyes. “I’ll play you a song to make you feel better,” he offered.

 

“No, Kwon. I don’t think a song will help me. I think I’m in love.”