Chapter 2

For the Next Twelve Hours

 

I'm awake. Rubbing my eyes I give my face a few taps to wake myself up. I stretch and check my watch for the hundredth time today. It reads 9:08. 
 
"I guess I should move," I whisper to myself. 
 
Standing up out of my chair I walk around the office and get familiar with my surroundings. Looking at the cubicles I see pictures of people with their families. I feel bad for the families when I look at the faces, they have to live here and everyday is a battle up until the real battle, Extermination Day. These kids have to grow up learning to defend themselves because the Amiss class don't have the systems to protect them selfs like us. Who knows? The children in the a pictures could be dead right now. 
 
When I turn the corner I hear a loud sound. It sounds like glass breaking. 
 
"We can just sleep here for a while until we go out." Someone calls out. I presume it's a man because the voice is deep. He must also have a crew with him for him to call out instructions. 
 
 I scurry over to to a desk and crawl underneath to hide. Curling up I watch the feet walk by. Silently thankful that it's nighttime so no one can spot me. I wait until I see no more feet walking past. Panic starts to set in. I try to clear my thoughts and focus on how I am exactly going to escape out of here without getting caught. If I get caught I could possibly die. So, to be on the safe side I wait for 30 minutes until I hear absolutely not movements. 
 
When I'm sure I hear nothing I carefully get out of my hiding space and creep towards exit. Adrenaline is pumping through me when I tip toe by the sleeping strangers. I'm careful not to trip on any objects. As soon as get away from the lions den I break free towards the door. Almost there. Almost there. Just a few more feet. I'm stepping out when I'm pulled back. 
 
I really don't know what happens next; I'm up against a wall with a strangers had over my mouth. My back is hurting. Oh crap nowI'm dead. 
 
I'm going to die. Today is the day that I die. I can't scream because of the hand. I make muffled groans and start squirming around to break free. What are they going to do? Are they going to shoot me? Stab me? 
 
Mom. Dad. Someone please come save me. I need someone. I don't want to die. Tears start to spill over when I realize that I won't ever get to see my parents. I won't ever get married. I won't ever get to do anything. When I die everyone will mourn for me for a short period, then they'll move on. They will continue living and I'll fade. Fade away from their everyday thoughts and memories until they no longer care. I will be nothing to them. My eyes close, waiting for the worst, I wait and wait and nothing happens.  
 
Slowly I peak open my eyes. My attacker looks just as frightened as I feel. His eyes are rounded and filled with fear. His hand is still over my mouth and his grip on my hand tightens. Carefully he moves to my ear and whispers, "I'm going to release you. Please don't scream, you might wake the others and then we'd both be in trouble."
 
I nod and he lets me go but is still keeping me close. He motions me to be quiet before pulling me over to a corner. 
 
"You aren't from here are you?" 
 
How did he know that? It's not like I'm wearing a sign. Did I give off a vibe? 
 
He leans in and smiles, "You give off that vibe," Oh. "…and you looked a little needy." 
 
"I didn't…I don't need help," I pause, "Especially from you," I add. 
 
"Yes you do." 
 
"No I don't," I repeat.  
 
He pushes me back up into the corner and leans down so he's in my face. He's so close that if I move our lips would touch. 
 
"Yes you do. Think about it, I just caught you. What if I was some crazy killer? You'd already be dead. You need me. Plus, you're cute so I'm willing to help you."
 
When he talks I can feel and smell his cool minty breath cascade over my face. This guy does have a point. My ninja skills failed because I was caught by him and if he was anyone else I could be dead right now. Still, I can't trust this man. Just because he spared my life once doesn't mean he won't try to kill me later. 
 
"You're wondering if I'll kill you later or not," he states. 
 
I nod and partially wonder if he can read minds. 
 
"Don't worry I won't. I'm not going to kill someone without a good reason and I'm sure not heartless enough to kill a girl," he winks, "trust me on this." 
 
I sigh. He seems alright. If he wanted me dead wouldn't I be that already? I give it a few more thoughts before giving in. 
 
"Okay. I'll be your partner, but I still don't trust you," I make sure to point out the fact that he is isn't trustable. 
 
He smiles and nods, "Okay. I guess I'll just have to gain your trust." He turns on his heels before striding over to the door and walking out. "You coming?" He ask popping back in to the office. 
 
Taking a deep breath I run over and follow him outside. 
 
Away from the building I realize his group of friends aren't here. 
 
"Uh…excuse me," I begin, "what about your other friends?" 
 
He eyes me up and down before answering. "They aren't my friends. They are just some people I needed to use for survival for the first few hours. Plus, I knew they were going to kill me off later."
 
"How did you know that?" I say confused. 
 
"Because, I'm worthless to them. I also overheard their plan to kill me in the last hour of the Extermination." 
 
I don't know how to respond so I just nod. He looks at me again then smiles. His smile is lovely. It lights up his face and in the moonlight it highlights his features. He has dark brown eyes and brown hair. Pure, flawless tan skin and straight white teeth. I realize I've been staring too long when he starts to look at me weirdly. With an awkward cough I look to the side and wonder were we are going. 
 
"Where are we going?" 
 
No reply. 
 
So I try again, "Where are we going?" 
 
Again no reply. 
 
I speak a little louder this time. "Excuse me, but where are you taking me?"
 
"Shh." 
 
Huh? Shh? I quiet down and listen around for anything or anyone but I don't hear anything. I scan my surroundings and only see broken glass, empty beer cans, and…blood. In the far distance I see the night sky being highlighted by raging fires. Looking over at the guy who's name I don't know I wonder why he told me to shh. 
 
"Excuse me, but why did you tell me to shh earlier? I don't hear—" 
 
"Shh." I'm cut off once again. This is starting to frustrate me because I'm trying to ask a simple question and he won't fill me in. 
 
Fed up I tap his shoulder, "Stop shh-ing me when I'm trying to ask you a—" He hurriedly grabs my hand and pulls me to the side of a building. He's up against me pushing me into the wall and it hurts. I knew it. I knew I shouldn't have came along. He's going to have his way with me then kill me. I can't go down without a fight though. Taking a risk I hit and kick him as hard as I can but he won't budge. 
 
"Please let me go," I plead. With my hands I start grabbing his hair and try to pry him off. I feel is grip on me loosen and I push him off me completely.
 
I run for it but have a hand pull me back. He's on his knees on the ground. He's defenseless. Taking this as my opportunity I kick I'm one last time, breaking his grip on my hand. I have to escape before he can regain himself. Right or left? Right? No left. No…
 
"Right!" 
 
I run until my legs give out. It's dark and scary. My breathing slows and I tense. The atmosphere is calm, too calm, so calm that it seems like something is misplaced. I should turn around because this isn't giving me a good feeling. 
 
I should go. I turn and hit someone. Someone big. I stumble back and see one of the men from the alley.
 
A smile grows on his face showing his yellowed-jagged teeth. His laugh sounds dry and wheezy, sending chills down my spine. I can't run. I'm right here in his grasp. 
 
"I've finally got you. Now you're mine."