Chapter 11

For the Next Twelve Hours

 

I raise my hand and smile at Kai before our the doors close. Kai is also smiling at me and lifts his hand up to wave back. I continue to wave but I see someone walking behind Kai. 
 
The people come into a better view and I see it's my kidnappers. My blood runs cold and what happen what happens next kills me. Kai takes the hint of what I'm saying to him and he turns around. 
 
I can tear my eyes from the scene of Kai getting shot. Once, twice, three times. With each shot I can hear the sound increasing. I can hear the impact. I can see Kai fall to the ground before them. 
 
The last thing I see is my kidnapper standing over Kai smiling at me. 
 
The doors close shut and I run over desperately trying to open and get to Kai. I need to; he needs me.  
 
"Kai!" I scream while tears fall down my face. I relentlessly bang on the gate doors so I can reach him. 
 
Turning towards the guards I beg them to please open the doors. "Please…" I cry out. 
 
A pair of hands lift me up and pull me back from the gate. I fight their attempts to pull me away by screaming at kicking. I need them to stop. I have to save Kai because if I don't, who will? A sharp pain comes from my neck and I start to feel extremely tired. Drowsiness clouds my eyes and everything fades to black. 
 
---
 
I wake up with a start and find that in in my room. I look outside and it's night time. I try to recall what had happened and I remember Kai. I jump out of bed while throwing on my boots and run outside. My mom and dad see me and begin to chase after me, begging me to come back home. 
 
My dad reaches me and grabs onto my arm and holds me so I can't run. 
 
"Let go!" I shout. "I have to get to Kai!" 
 
My mom appears in front of me and shushes me. "Shh, everything is alright. Kora, baby, please don't be like the. Come home and just breathe." 
 
"No," I cry. I fight against my dad until he drops me. I sink into the ground and just sit there. My min tries to help me get up but I don't want to. 
 
"Kora get up," my father commands. His arms wrap around my waist and he stands me up but I push him away.
 
"No!" I shout. "This is all your fault! If you would have just listened to the Amiss class this wouldn't have happened! I hate you. You, you aren't my father because I've never had one. You've never treated me like I was your kid."
 
"That isn't true." My father protest. 
 
"YES IT IS! You've never loved me because I'm not Kwan. I'm sorry I'm not your son! Kwan is dead and you need to learn to face that. Do you know how hard I try to be better than Kwan just so you can love me like you loved him?" I wipe away my tears and glare at my fathers stunned expression. "Maybe I would be better off dead. Is that what you want, is for me to be rotting away in the ground for—" 
 
The stinging on my face tells me I was slapped. I look up expecting the hit to have come from my dad but it was my mom. Her eyes are moist and her shoulders are heaving up as down while her hand is still raised. My father and I are both shocked about this sudden behavior from my mom. 
 
Gripping onto my face I run to the only place where I can be alone without actually having to be alone; Kwan's grave. 
 
---
 
All that happened seven years ago and since that day my parents and I have been on better terms. My father started socializing with me more and even praising me for my good deeds. We both spend more time together, like father-daughter dates where we go out and just enjoy one another's company. 
 
My relationship with my mom since the slapping remains the same. We are both as close as ever. I really couldn't ask for a better mom than her. I still don't understand why my mom hit me. Was it because I was showing my emotions? Yelling at dad? Or disrespecting Kwan? Maybe it was the fact that I pointed out the reality of Kwan rotting and they just didn't want to hear it. Whatever the reason I'm glad she did slap me; she knocked some since into me. 
 
 
No one in the Government community—besides my family—ever found out about my trip to the Amiss class. Which also means that they don't know about Kai. My own parents don't know much about Kai, they asked me who he was but I just tell them a really good friend. They don't need to know about the way I felt for Kai or Kai and I's relationship.
 
I don't think I will ever forget Kai. I still remember the way his hair feel into his brown eyes and the way his lips would curl up. I remember his touch and when how he would say my name. I remember out kisses, hugs, and the laughs we would have. I remember how he would make me feel safe. I remember how he could comfort me with just the simplest of words. I didn't let Kai's death stop me for finding myself. I suppose I already did find myself when I was with him. He brought the best out of me and I couldn't have asked to known a better person. 
 
Do I miss him? Yes. Do I still love him? Yes. Kai will always be apart of me. Even though I've moved on I still hold Kai in my heart. 
 
Time passes and with time comes change and healing. I've found my change and I've healed as best as I could. I don't know what happened once those gates closed but what I do know is that when I went back to the Amiss class for a visit most people don't even know who Kai was. I question the answer the people have me but I also question my own logic. Was Kai even real? He was real to me and I guess that is all that matters. 
 
The ringing of the doorbell brings me from my thoughts. When I answer it a man with flowers in his hand holds them out to me. He doesn't say a word after he hands me the flowers and a small box. After he drives away I close the door and walk over to find my flowers a vase. When they're in the vase I stare at the rich red color. 
 
 
Kai throws me a look before starting. "Okay, okay. Um, what is your favorite color?"
 
Easy. In the Government we are limited to colors. The only colors we allow are white and purple, shades of white and purple are allowed also. Purple is a sense of royalty while white is polished. In our home we have purple walls accompanied by white furniture. "Purple." 
 
"Purple? Alright now you ask me."
 
"Kai, what is your favorite color?" I couldn't think of a good one so I stole his. 
 
Kai puts his head down and laughs, "I didn't mean the same question, whatever. Red."
 
Red? Interesting. I've seen red from flowers and red foods, but mostly I've learned about red from our school books. '
 
I look over at the box and my heart is racing. What could possibly be inside this box? i carefully slide of the lid and my anticipation changes to shock at what's inside the box. I thought I had lost it forever. I carefully lift up the small beaded bracelet and slip onto my wrist. There is a note at the bottom of the box. When I read the little message I know how this was all from. 
 
I run out my front door and run down the steps desperately looking for him. When I see an empty neighborhood I bust into a fit of giggles. I can't stop this feeling of joy. 
 
The red flowers, beaded bracelet, and the message the on the note. How he got here? I don't know. How he survived? I don't know. What I do know is that we will meet again. I don't know when that time will come but we will have to wait…until next time. 
 

Sadly this is the last chapter and double sadly (I don't know) I will not be making a sequel to this. I have no time nor idea how I can start this. Don't dwell because who knows maybe sometime in the future I will. Anyways thanks to whoever read this and until next time. (Cheesy, I know)