Necklace

Oppa's Little Sister

 

( nineteen )

 

Miyoung headed north and took the elevator going up to the fifth level. ‘Where did that man go?’, she brought her phone next to her ear after she keyed Kai’s number. She waited for him to pick up, but there was no answer.

 

When the elevator screen displayed her designated floor, she immediately paused and ended the call; predicting that Kai already left her.

 

She made sure that no one trailed her and searched for the room number given by the nurses. “Here.”, her enthusiasm brought her to a disappointment when she heard a strange conversation from outside.

 

“What did you do to Ara? You know that she’s sick.”

 

Before the doorknob opened for her, it was as if her heart gathered a lot of thorns. She cupped , surprised.

 

The door waited for a source. Her hand paused just near it. She couldn’t help but to cry out when the latter conversation drew to more evidences that there is something in Ara’s physical condition. She thought of her friend. She didn’t notice her having a serious illness. 

 

“So, who has it?”

 

Miyoung can’t help but to tilt the knob open to know what’s happening inside Ara’s room. She can’t take the fact that her friend was in danger and when the door opened for her, she saw what has already happened between the three aliens and Kai.

 

---

 

“Dismissed.”, the teacher announced. Chanyeol left blank. He gathered his notebook and tucked his pen on the side of it. Along the hallways, he walked at a very slow pace which led him to be hit by someone who’s running.

A boy immediately said sorry as Chanyeol’s expression remained cold as ice. He continued walking, with no true destination at all. In some sense, he could have ate in the canteen or go home. But this time, he just can’t. He can’t. And it is because every time he tries to ignore what has happened in between him and Ara, he always ended up failing.

With his eyes looking at the fair ground, he forgot that his feet headed to the school’s gym. He tilted his head up when he saw open lights and girls from their PE classes go out of the main door. He was not sure if it’s open after class hours but a part of him wanted to look inside.

Chanyeol hid himself behind a door when someone passed by, as not to be seen sneaking around. He trailed as the scent of chlorine filled his nose. Upon seeing the vast area filled with water, he put his hands inside both in his pants’ pockets and paused for a while.

He shut his eyes.

And all what he sought was Ara; needing his help.

She was drowning.

Ara was in danger just back then.

 

He shook of that thought.     

For a moment, the school’s gym keeper happened to pass by and saw him standing before the swimming pool. “Excuse me. You aren’t allowed here, sir.”

“I.. know. I’m sorry.”

Heading to the other side, Chanyeol sought female students getting out of the girls’ locker room. Because the door was left open, he can see that there was a left bag inside. He tried to call for the girls who trailed ahead but he received no reply. 

Left with no choice, he drew himself nearer to the room. Switching his head to his left and right, he searched if there was a person inside. “Hello?”

He waited for a response, but no one gave him.

Chanyeol peered inside as he looked at the bag. There were toiletries, and a pair of sneakers inside.

He brought it up and thought of returning it to the lost and found section. But one shiny necklace dropped on the floor, stopping him for a moment. As he closed the locker’s door, he saw the name of the locker’s owner: Yoo Ara. It was left unlocked.

No matter how long he tried to wrack his head for answers about this particular necklace in his hand, he could not get any. He recalled what Ara said while they were at the pool area and remembered how she spoke about it as if it was an important part of her body. Nonetheless, he tightened his grip on it and placed it in his pocket, hooking the bag on his shoulder.

“Ara, I’m coming for you.”

 

---

 

He stood just by the corner of the wall adjacent to Ara’s room. He was contemplating whether to head straight there, barge into her hospital room and give her things back to her. But that was his first option; immediately the thought of his three brothers, especially Luhan pushed him to back down. From the last time he was there, he was very much unwelcomed.

If he suddenly came in, he’ll definitely be thrown out, not just out of the room, but perhaps outside the hospital as well. He gulped nervously, as beads of perspiration rolled down his forehead. He thought of it carefully.

Just then, he heard a click sound from the door and he peeked from the corner out of curiosity. He spotted Luhan heading outside the room, walking opposite his direction, then came down the staircase. While Luhan was in the hallway, Chanyeol overheard him talking on the phone, which he guessed was the other two brothers, judging from how he spoke with them.

As soon as Luhan left his sight, he took the opportunity to sneak in Ara’s room. He swallowed a chunk of saliva once again upon seeing her unconscious state. His eyebrows furrowed in distress, he was absolutely worried over her. Guilt was eating him up every single day, every single second. He could no longer live like that everyday.

He closed the door and walked up to her slowly.

He sat on the chair next to her and held her hand. A tear escaped his left eye and it rolled down to Ara’s hand. He placed her hand next to his cheek and began muttering words, “I’m sorry Ara. I really am. Please wake up now, I had forgiven you ever since you first apologized. I just still did not have the courage to speak to you before because I feel lied to.”

Then his thoughts reminded him of a particular object. He let go of her hand and snuck his hand inside his pocket, the necklace hanging loose from his hand as he stared at it intently. “I don’t know what’s important with this necklace but if it is that important to you…” He unclasped the necklace’s lock and placed it around Ara’s neck, where it truly belonged.

Nothing happened. He thought she would be awake by now ─ at least, that’s what he was expecting happen. But she was still in the same unconscious state. The only thing assuring him she’s alive was the up and down movement of her chest. She was breathing ─ a symbol of life.

He rested his head on the empty space of the bed her head, watching her as she sleeps. Minutes after, he felt her hand moving and he immediately shot up to catch a glimpse of the moment.

Slowly, her eyes fluttered to open and her vision was a blur. She saw one particular guy at sight, it was a fuzzy sight until her vision cleared and she recognized the person looking at her. He had a bright smile plastered on his face, with almost teary eyes. She could tell he was happy that she had finally awoken.

“Chanyeol,” she breathed with a smile.