Consequences

Oppa's Little Sister

( seventeen )

 

Noises from outside echoed inside the locker room. She sighed as she placed her palm flat on the cold steel locker in front of her, which labelled Yoo Ara. With closed eyes, she bowed her head and whispered, “Just win this race and you’ll get him back.”

Ara opened her eyes, they showed complete determination. She clenched her fist and elbowed the air downwards. “Fighting!”, she exclaimed.

Already in her swimming attire, she exited the girls’ locker room and headed to the pool area, where she would meet her competitor – Chanyeol. Three steps near the entrance she was blocked by the guard.

“Excuse me miss, accessories aren’t allowed when swimming.” The man in a complete guard uniform pointed at her necklace.

“Really? But - ” Right at the back of the guard, she saw Chanyeol who gave her a small smile to acknowledge her presence. “Okay.”, Ara said as she headed back to the locker area.

Anxiety accompanied her as soon as she removed her necklace and placed it inside the locker. She did not want to remove it as Luhan would always reprimand her whenever she is not wearing it. He mentioned it was her lucky charm and that she should never keep herself away from it as possible. Honestly, she had no clue why that necklace seems to be a very essential object to her and to Luhan. She made a promise to never remove it, but today, she made an exception. For the sake of her and Chanyeol’s friendship, she’d do it.

She didn’t bother locking it and just shut it close, immediately running back to the pool area.

---

“You took time to change.”

“I had to remove my necklace.”

“You do know accessories aren’t allowed when swimming.”

“Yeah, but it’s a valuable thing for me. I made a promise to my brother to never remove it. He says it’ll keep me safe from any harm.”

Chanyeol looked at her intently while she played with the water with her feet. They were both sitting on the end side of the pool.

Ara’s thoughts were occupied with Luhan and the necklace that she did not even take notice of Chanyeol anymore. She was busy with her train of thoughts as she mindlessly played with the water.

It took her time to realize her real reason for being there - that was to have a swimming race with him.

“Ara.”, he called.

Hearing her name called, she responded unknowingly as she turned to him and realized that he was shirtless. Oh yeah. I forgot we’re swimming. He’s supposed to be topless. Ara, get a hold of yourself. She slapped her cheeks as she started flushing in red.

---

The race had started. Being the taller one, Chanyeol had an advantage and took the lead. Ara, on the other hand, trailed behind him. But not wanting to give up, she tried to hasten her pace and forced herself to catch him.

She was close to chasing him when she felt a twitch in her chest. She flinched at the sudden pain and the next thing that happened; she was unable to control her movements. She was drowning and she got nothing to do. She couldn’t scream, water continued entering . Chanyeol was still ahead of her and was too engrossed with the race that he did not notice her state.

It took a few minutes before she out.

Chanyeol was still swimming but at some point he felt the urge to look back at his opponent. To be honest, he’d let her win the race. But he didn’t want it to be too obvious, so he made a few lengths lead.

He slowed down his pace and looked back at Ara to see how she was doing. Instead another swimming competitor, he only saw an unconscious body.

His eyes widened and he immediately swam back to save her.

As he was getting closer, he continually blamed himself for pushing this swim race with her.

‘Chanyeol, pabo. This is your entire fault!’ He scolded himself.

As soon as he reached her, he grabbed her body and hugged her with one arm as he used the other to bring her up.

Swimming with an utter great speed, they got out of the water. Chanyeol placed her on the floor, pumping her chest and giving -to-mouth resuscitation. He didn’t want it, but he also didn’t want her to lose her life. It was like having an unofficial kiss and cheating on her. It was the first time her lips got touched and if she wasn’t unconscious, she’d be turning red and jumping with joy.

‘Come on Ara!’ To Chanyeol’s dismay, Ara wasn’t waking up. Her body remained still and unconscious. He held one of her wrists. Her blood is still flowing throughout her body though, a sign that she is alive.

“There’s no more time to slack off.”

He carried her with his arms and ran to the clinic. However, the clinic didn’t have sufficient materials to get her awaken. In that case, she was transferred to a hospital. But before he did, he changed his clothes abruptly without drying his hair.

---

Luhan, Lay and Sehun popped inside the hospital room and saw Ara lying on the bed covered with white bed sheet. The doctor declared that she was in a coma. They immediately approached her, with Luhan first and pushing Chanyeol aside.

“What happened to her?” He asked, full of worry; his eyes were tearing up already.

“She drowned.”, was all Chanyeol could say while bowing his head. He got out of the room feeling unwanted. The glares from the three kept penetrating him.

There were no more words to say.

Chanyeol felt his weakest. ‘What a shame.’ The incident just boils down to blaming himself for challenging Ara in a match and not giving her enough time to prepare for.

As he closed the door, he slammed his back on the wall and slid down until his bottom reached the ground. “Ara, I’m sorry. Please wake up.” He felt tears rolled down his cheeks and wiped it from the back of his hand.

---

Luhan hugged Ara as he her hair. “Bambi, wake up already. Oppa’s here.”

He laid his head on her pillow beside her head. He watched her face with closed eyes and a calmed expression.

His eyes traced her face down to her neck and noticed that there was something missing. “Her necklace.” His eyes widened. Now, he knew why she was in that state.

Hearing Luhan blurted it out, the two also had shocked expressions and they went nearer Ara.

“What’s with her necklace?” Lay asked.

“It’s missing.”

“We need to find it then.” Lay suggested.

“Could she have dropped it by the pool?” Sehun inferred.

“I don’t know but we need to find it very quick.”, Luhan said standing up from his position.