Ten

A Piece Of Heart

“Shhh, calm. Sorry, if I made you scared,” he whispered. “Sulli-“

“What are you doing here?” She asked angrily. What kind of games are now? She does not trust him. Minho is too difficult to guess. She did not understand him. She also does not understand why her heart pounding and her body shuddered as if the dream was real. The dream was so vivid. She can feel-

“Sulli, there I should to tell you. Want me to turn on the light?” Sulli shook her head. “We got the news. It’s not good news. I need you to help me to tell Mrs. Choi.”

“About Siwon?”

She could feel the man’s head nodded before he said, “Yes.” Uneasy feeling seized him.

“Oh, God,” Sulli grumble. “Minho, did you find him?”

“Yes.” He drew a deep breath. In the darkness Minho could find Sulli clenched hand pressing her lips. He took her hand and warm it with his strong fingers. “Sulli, he was dead.”

“Andwae,” she whispered, shaking her head in disbelief. It cannot be true. God is not cruel. “Andwae!” she said firmly with a firmer tone.

Minho grabbed her shoulders and said, “I’m sorry, Sulli, believe me. They found him late last night in a rundown suburb of Gwangju. Apparently he was waiting for an opportunity to cross the border.”

Sulli trying to absorb all the facts, but could not. Only one the harsh reality that could be understood. She would never see her brother alive. Choi Siwon was gone. She realized Minho paused then asked sluggish, “He died for what?” Does it matter?

“We’ll talk about it later-“

“Tell me now,” she said insistent.

“He was murdered,” Minho sighed. “Money in the pocket, watches, such things were his, robbed. Ironically, suitcase containing all the money he took was found undisturbed under the bed.” He waited a moment before asking, “Neo...gwaenchana?”

“Yes,” said Sulli. Composure makes her own wonder. “We should tell Sooyoung.” She did not wait for a response of Minho. She got out of bed and put on a coat room. When she turned around, he was already in the hallway.

On the Sooyoung’s door he suggested, “Why do not you just coming in and wake her up. Call me when you’re ready.”

This is the toughest task ever done for life, but Sulli entered the room, wake Sooyoung, help her put on her coat, and then pulled over while Minho tell that woman about her husband’s death. Sulli had thought that she was going to faint, cry, scream, or hysterical. But it turns out that woman listened quietly and did not shed a few tears too.

When Minho finally finished delivering the facts, without missing or inaccurate details, Sooyoung said flatly, “I think I knew he was dead. Throughout today I have a feeling I would never see him again. Oddly enough I could know.”

She asked Minho what procedures they should take and explain to her. “Well, we’re sure it was him, but unfortunately you have to go there and identify the body. Due to his death from a crime, you have to sign a lot of mail in order your husband’s body could be taken. I can help you in that matter.”

“Thank you, Minho-shi. I will need your help, I’m sure.”

“I’ll call your parents-“

“No!” Sooyoung said with newfound maturity. “I will faced it all alone. But I want to Sulli go there with me.”

Minho looks will protest, but Sulli already said, “Sure,” before he had a chance to open his mouth.

His face was grim as he looked at his watch and said, “I’m going to book the flight ticket. Now half past seven. Can you be ready in about two hours?”

“Yes, we’ll be ready,” Sooyoung replied calmly.

 

----------------------------------

 

The events that happened the next day and a half could never clearly remember by Sulli. She cannot remember anything, thought certain events will remain recorded in her mind until she died.

Somehow, she and Sooyoung managed prepare to go to Gwangju in the short time given by Minho. They wear clothes that are comfortable and efficient. Sulli wore a navy blazer and ivory silk blouse. The skirt of wool caramel color. When they left the house, she took a long leather coat of a clothes hanger in the hallway and put it on the arm.

Sooyoung wore similar clothes and her hair in a ponytail so unadorned. Her face was plain, no make up at all. But she still beautiful, like a heroine whose tragic fate. Sulli sympathize with that tough-looking woman.

Minho driving a battered official car to the airport. Sooyoung sat quetly in the corner of the back seat. Sulli’s eyes filled with tears, but Sooyoung’s eyes remain dry. The only sign that she was sad just her grip on Sulli’s hand along the flight from Incheon to Gwangju. They sat near the window and on the edge of the aisle, put the bag and coat on a chair between them. Minho sat across the aisle and kept looking out the window during the trip. He was polite to Sooyoung. He showed the same manner to Sulli, but cooler.

When they picked up at the airport there is a man look same level with Taemin, he pushed them into the car which was also not prominent. Minho sat in the front seat beside the stolid driver, while Sulli and Sooyoung in the backseat. The two men conversing quietly. But their words are not clear. Sooyoung looked at traffic and scenery they pass like a hypnotized person.

Then it felt like hours they stand or sit in the dim and silent corridors, awaiting the official. Minho go back inside and out of the office, talking with the man in the grim dressed who look at Sooyoung curiously. She repeatedly questioned. She answered all questions without spirit, but honest.

Sulli rarely talk to. Her responsibilities are only supports Sooyoung, who underwent all this agony tougher than people who think by Sulli.

Sulli would not want to admit that there is the profit when Minho protect Sooyoung from many unpleasant events. He must have cut a lot of bureaucracy and helped launch a legal procedure that seemed endless. All law enforcement agencies―federal, state, local―as involved, and each one should be given the information and answers.

The sun was setting down when they leave the last old office somber and advanced to the regional hospital. Sulli was not liking this last stop. Although the identity of Siwon has been confirmed, they still have to go to the morgue and saw Siwon corpse before it can be handed over to them.

The man who picked them up at the airport now accompany Sooyoung down the hall, toward the door at the end. Sulli follow them. Minho is behind her.

Before they reached the creepy door, he gripping her upper arm and turn her so she can facing him. “Sulli, you’re not allowed in there,” he said quietly but firmly.

“Yes, you must allowed me. Sooyoung needs me.”

“I’m with her. You’re not allowed in,” he repeated.

“Do not dictation about what I should do or not.” She pulled her arm to free herself from the clutches  sturdy. “I want to see my brother.”

“No. Not like this way.” He then grabbed both her arms. “Think, Sulli. You do have a imagination about Siwon. He is a young, healthy, and handsome man. Do not you prefer to think of him like that than...” his voice trailed off. Then he said in a urged voice, “You would not want that the only memories of your brother as the situation now. Do not go in there.”

The pleading eyes and lips were docked convincing that he was right. Sulli nodded and leaned against him with resignation. Minho take her to the vinil couch and sat. Two other people had arrived at the door to the mortuary, they wait for Minho. Minho touch Sulli’s shoulder to calm her and whispered, “I won’t be long.”

When the three appeared again in the hallway, Sooyoung cried softly with face buried behind a man’s handkerchief. Sulli rushed welcomed and embraced her sister-in-law who like to shrink in the last few minutes.

She had in her hand a piece of white paper that are held tightly. Her face is wet with tears looked pitiful when she looked Sulli. “They found it in his pocket. It’s the letter for me, Sulli. He loves me. He said that. He loves me.” She threw herself into Sulli and sobbed her heart out as she continued outpouring of Siwon’s love for her.

Sulli hug her as they sit on an uncomfortable couch earlier, while Minho regulate the transport of Siwon’s corpse to Incheon. Sulli feels grateful that Sooyoung finally outpouring her tears. Her sorrow should be channeled and tears can ease the feeling. It’s much better to cry than to live like a zombie last day, act just as expected.

During a trip back to the airport and while they are waiting for the plane, Sooyoung keeps spilling her grief. She ran out of steam when they get on the plane. Fortunately a late night flight was not full.

A sensitive and sympathetic air hostess suggested they remove the armrest which separating the individual seats so Sooyoung can rest. Her sister-in-law did not argue, and when Sulli covered her, she is calm and lying down, her eyes swollen from crying most looked closed.

Minho, who had been talking with co-workers, was the last passenger riding. He sat next to Sulli, storing suitcases that looked mediocre under the seat in front of him. Sulli know what is in the suitcase and looked away. The brown suitcase that is what has destroyed the life of his brother.

After the plane took off into the dark and the lights of Gwangju look like multicolored blankets, Minho asked, “How is she?”

“Crying helps relieve the feelings. She needs to do it. I guess see...his body, confirms his death in her mind.” Sulli wet her lips and asked, “Is he-“

“No. It’s ‘clean’,” Minho said bitterly. “The report of the coroner said the death was due to asphyxiation. They may finish him while he was sleeping by covering his face with a pillow.”

Sulli covered with one hand and her face paled, but she did not say anything. She looked straight ahead. “I’m glad he wrote the letter,” she said with brooding sound. “No matter what the content was, the letter seems to convince Sooyoung about his love for her.”

“Yes. I’m glad the robbers let the letter.”

“Is there a suspect already?”

“Not yet. This murder will end up as one of the cases that cannot be dismanted. The robbery motive. he―or they―attack in a matter of minutes. Obviously professional. Of course, we were lucky they did not see the money under the bed.”

“Oh, yeah.” Sulli pout. The desire to hurt Minho swept her mind. She wanted to punish him for his behavior last night. She wants him to suffer from word she said that spicy, as he did at her.

“You should be proud of yourself, Minho-shi. You are now able to go home as heroes. What did you say after a successful destroy someone’s life? ‘Well, boys, we can close this one.’ Or perhaps, ‘save this one’?

Her attitude is not fair. She knows it. Minho is not responsible for the crimes of Siwon. But she was hurt. She never met her brother. All of her dreams about family relationships, share, find love, cruelly destroyed. She wants to vent the pain on something, someone. And Minho is there. It is not fair, but she felt the cruel satisfaction when seeing at the top off his flashing eyes.

To avoid the piercing gaze, Sulli rested her head on the chair and closed her eyes. A few minutes later, she vaguely heard him stopped the air hostess who running the aisle.

Then Minho nudged her elbow and ruled, “Here, drink this.”

He was holding a glass of liquor. “What’s that?”

“Brandy. You need it.”

Sulli shook her head. “I do not like drinks that hard.”

Minho looked at her angrily, then said, “Well, I like it.” He sipped the first glass of the golden liquid and eyes so filled with tears. He frowned and snapped his breath when the hot liquid to the stomach, but he then leaned his head back and closed his eyes. “You really should try it. The influence is remarkable for the nerves.” He sipped a second glass slowly.

They did not talk for long. When Minho finally spoke, his voice softer. “I’m really sorry about Siwon, Sulli. I do not want this to end up like this.”

Sulli turned and looked at him. Minho stared back at her from his seat separated by a few inches dusty seat upholstery. “I know,” whispered Sulli. “I said anything was ridiculous and inappropriate. Forgive me?”

As a response, Minho reached out and held her hand. He handed the brandy glass to the air hostesss, then moved to the middle seat next to the window seat occupied by Sulli. He lifted the back of the seat between them. Only a few lights that remain lit in the plane. The passengers are sleep or use the dim lights on their seats. The air hostess, after serving the passengers, retreated to their place.

Minho her hands who is in the palm of his hand with the fingers of his other hand. He down her long and oval nails, her knuckles, and small blood vessels on the back of her hand. His knees pressed her knee. Somehow, her shoulder has been in his embrace.

“Tell me about your husband, Ssul.” The demand is pronounced quietly, almost casually.

Sulli not pretend that she’s not to listen. Give in to the urge irresistible, she rested her head on the shoulders of the man. “Jong Woon is the nicest man I’ve ever met. His business was very successful. The part of his success due to the fact that his officers adore him. He distributed the profits at least courier though. Some people might accuse he is a wily manager, but I think he actually wants to share his wealth.”

Minho lifting his arm and hugging her shoulders, pulling it closer. Sulli’s head resting on his chest. “When he showed interest in me at first, I figured it was because he appreciates of my judgement, my knowledge about his business. And it is true. But after we have dinner together a few times, then I realized he was with me for liking me. If I think again, I guess I kind of realize a return of his youth. He was widowed in years. His children were growing up and live life each. It has been long that the business was only interests in his life. He was lonely.”

“So, he asked me to marry him. I was amazed and a little scared. During this time he has always been very, very polite to me and his proposal really surprised me. I agree, not because I love him, at least not romantically, but because I felt it would be hurt him if I refused.”

While speaking her finger down the crease in his pants leg. “I’m married, but it makes people so angry. I considered opportunistic, mercenary woman. I do not like people to think badly of me, but I know my intentions were good. I should not let people’s opinions affect me or Jong Woon. I was young, lonely, and somewhat flattered because a man as important like him, loves me. That’s it. He died in the same year.”

Minho held her hand and pressed it. “Not all, Sulli.”

His voice is so intimate, make Sulli’s face so red. She raised her eyes briefly. Minho leaned so close that their faces almost touching. His eyes as piercing eyes. She leaned her head back on his chest.

“Our marriage was never complete. Jong Woon―he tried, but―he was sick,” Sulli sputtered. Her face was red as a boiled crab. “When he went to the doctor for a check―uh―the other, they found malignant cancer. He had not helped.”

Rethinking the sad days after the death of Jong Woon, Sulli be aware of the changes that happened since she met Minho. After many times Jong Woon trying to make her as his wife physically, he was so afraid of . Her husband was so disappointed because he was not able to carry out his duties as a husband so Sulli can feel the pain and embarrassment. She never wanted to deal with again. is not important when it comes to sacrificing self-esteem of people.

She was not in a relationship with a man again. Not because no one wants her. Many men who chased her before and after her marriage to Jong Woon, but she managed to hold them until they are frustrated and looking for another woman. In Busan, the similar events occured until she met Jong In, and they finally reached an agreement about she does not want to sleep with him.

Not the itself that makes Sulli fear. Her adoptive parents are a couple who love each other and have an active and healthy life. When she was little Sulli already know that her parents had something special.

The problem is the fear of let down again if things do not go smoothly.

If it so, why is she so easy to accept Choi Minho? Since the first hug when she still thought he was Siwon, she has felt  the passion that flared and lit up the passion that burned like a forest fire. Even when she cursing him, she had to fight against the ual passion bubbling.

And Minho knew it. Sulli’s body could not keep her longing and his own body instinctively responded. Sulli unconsciously emit the magnetic waves are not ignored or resisted by Minho.

Sulli is involved in a dangerous game. One of the reasons she refused to be Jong In’s wife was her desire to have a family. Somehow, she knew that Jong In not a man who she wants to be a husband and a father for her children. That is too intense a relationship with a man that could be a stumbling block to achieving what she wanted most in life.

If Jong In is the stumbling block, then Minho is the rock mountain. A few days from now they will be separated and never met again. Why would she risk her future? A brief romance with him was no benefit. Stupid. No hope. Immoral.

But, when she felt his breath on her cheek and arm pressure on her s, she also know their relationship is inevitable and uncontrollable.

She looked up and looked at Minho. He looked at her widened eyes and appeared her mind. His lips thinned as he said, “I’m sorry for what happened in the park last night.”

“You’re angry,” said Sulli shortly. “I know it.”

“That’s no excuse for what is almost done. God! .” He sighed, annoyed with himself. “I never commit violence against women, Sulli. Believe me. Did I hurt you?” The guilty expression on his face make her heartbreaking.

“A little,” Sulli said with a smile.

“I hope that the event never happened. If time could be repeated, I would not do it.”

“Why do not you apologize?” Sulli propose with a seductive style.

Minho smiled softly at her and put his finger on her lips. He wiped it away with slow motion and provocative. “Sulli, I’m sorry for my rude behavior.”

“An apology is granted,” Sulli whispered. He wiped her lower lip with his finger and wiped her teethh.

By surreptitiously, Minho looked around. “Let us not be in a place that is so open,” he growled.

“Why? Like you would do what?”

“S...Sulli.” He said her name through clenched teeth when Sulli inserting his fingers into and gently.

“What would you do?” Sulli challenging without trepidation.

Minho welcomes the challenge. “I might kiss you like this.”

His hand side still hugging her, one hand clutching her face as he lowered his mouth to hers. At first he teased, gently biting her lips, it with his tongue. He pulled back slightly to look at due to his torment. Her eyelids thick hairy eyes half shut, and her lips were parted slightly, shiny, and wet sounding inflicted on her breath.

“Sulli,” Minho sighed as his lips crushed hers. Now is not the right time to resolve their problems. What if she really was engaged to that millionaire man? Sulli is no longer wearing the damn diamond ring. He almost instantly know when Sulli release the symbol claims by that man.

What if she’d never see him again? What if Sulli’s income quadrupled compared by his income? What is the importance of problems like that now?

Sulli is here. The place is dark and cozy and they need each other. The woman’s body was limp and surrender to the desire of his body. open and welcoming his kiss. Half to death he held breathless moans and clog his throat.

“You taste like brandy.” The kiss was over, but their lips still touching. “From now on, I would really like brandy.”

“Have some more,” she said. Sulli who was the first to kissing him this time. She was teasing his chin with her lips until he felt weak and powerful at the same time.

Her forefinger on his lips replace her lips at the chin while he whispered hoarsely, “And if you managed to kiss me like that, what would you do next?”

Minho is now very excited to participate in this duel. He managed to look like a fierce government agent and said, “I’m not sure you’re not high profile criminals who hide behind the y pseudonyms. Especially since you’re trying to seduce me, my suspicions rose up.”

“Not only your suspicions was rise,” said Sulli barely audible.

Minho swallowed and growled, “You’re distracting me.”

“Sorry, Sir,” Sulli said regretfully. “Please go on.”

“Like I said,” Minho cleared his throat firmly, “I might feel the need to search you again.”

His lips formed a very cheeky smile that remembered by Sulli. When she saw him for the first time, the arrogant expression frightened her. Now it turns out even so the heart pounding like hell.

“You certainly do not want to dereliction of duty,” Sulli said seriously.

“Yes. I do not want it to happen.” He looked down again, but did not kiss. Instead, he stared into her eyes as his hand her back.

Sulli fascinated with the tremendous sensation caused his fingers. His gaze was making her limp. The eyes looked at her gently but greedy. He was like an insatiable to enjoy her.

“You’ve got two very feminine habit, Choi Sulli,” he said softly. “One of them is this.” He touched her chest. “The other one is calling my name without actually mention it. I assume both are equally alluring.” Minho lowered his head and pressed his lips to her ear. After kissing the fragrant skin as soft as velvet around him, he whispered, “Sulli, I want you.”

While continuing to caress and kiss her, he asked, “Have I ever told you how beautiful your color? I could remember what is your tastes like. Right now, I want-“

The seatbelt lights lit up and they heard the clink of fine to attract the attention of passengers. His breath blowing hunting near her ear when he was cursing softly before sitting upright in his chair.

Sulli reached out to touch his arm, but that man hissed, “Do not touch me.” When looking at her facial expression of offended, he smiled. “Do not you know that I need some time to get back to normal?” He looked at her with a grin until Sulli understand his point. Once she understood, Sulli quickly pulled her hand and facing the front of the plane, not daring to move. Minho chuckled softly.

Exactly when the airplane wheels glide down the runway, she looked him embarrassed. “Minho, do you...do you think I am unreasonable because making out on a miserable day like this? Am I a shameless people?”

His smile was gentle and sincere. “Over the years I watched people’s reactions in chaotic situations. I know that the shape of the distribution of emotional tension or sadness can vary. Someone crying, screaming, or angry. Others laugh out loud. Someone turned to love.” He was silent for a long time. “All these emotions as honest, Sulli.”

“Thank you,” she murmured.