One

A Piece Of Heart

Despite she is seeming calm, Choi Sulli actually very nervous when she press the doorbell. She heard the tinkling bells inside. This home is very interesting, located in one of the middle-class neighborhood of Incheon.

Sulli turned to other houses that flanked the streets, enjoyed this neat area. All yards are maintained; the houses, if it can not be said there’s no the spotless on the wall, very neat and tasteful. The house that she came is pale gray painted and decorated with white lines. Like all the other houses here, this house shows architectural distinctiveness of Incheon, the garage as high as the street and the house is built elevated. Steep concrete staircase built in the front door, which is made of large glass engraved old style.

She tried to peer into the crystal behind the glass and dimly saw the movement and sound of approaching footsteps, but nothing is clear.

What if no one at home? Sulli did not think of that possibility. In fact, she did not even think anything since stepping off the plane from Busan, in addition to thinking about how to find this house. Her mind when browsing the unique streets of Incheon focused on one thing. Today is the peak for three-years searching. She was willing to face the dusty record books, endless long distance phone, doors slammed in front of her nose, and the clues are disappointing one before standing here today. Today she will meet her brother for the first time in her life. Today she will be face to face with the only her family.

Her heart froze when she heard the sound of footsteps came to the door. His wife? Housekeeper? Her brother? She swallowed hard.

The door opened slowly. The man was standing in front of her. “Mr. Choi Siwon?” she asked.

The man did not answer. His eyes were even explored her from head to toe. His glance view probably no more than a second, but Sulli feels nothing missing.

“Mr. Choi Siwon?” she repeated. The man is nodded shortly.

All nervousness disappeared and was replaced unspeakable joy when the man confirmed that he was her brother. He is so handsome! Sulli was surprised to see their faces do not look alike.

That man was tanned skin, but she has milky-white skin. Each tried to imagine her brother, she imagined the face of a masculine version of her own face, but he was not look alike at all as she had hoped. Sand brown hair, but if a beam of sunlight in February shone on him, the color will be golden. Thin tortoiseshell-rimmed glasses peched on the messy hair. Eyebrows across the breadth thick brow and brown like his hair. Brown eyes, a sharply observed, flanked by short thick lashes, dark at the base and golden on the edge. His nose was straight and narrow. His lip was firm, wide, and impressed fierce.

“Sorry, I kept looking at you,” Sulli apologized as she continued staring at him with eyes barely blinking. Would she feel bored to see the face that had been so long she looking for?

The man was still not make a sound. His eyes darted behind her, as if he expecting to see someone who accompanied her. In one look, he saw a white Mercedes that Sulli rent at the airport, the house across the street, the whole environment, before returning to her. Sulli feels bad that she has not said anything. But, this man did not know her exactly.

“I come from far away to see you,” she opened the conversation. “May I come in and talk to you for a minute?”

“What will we talking about?

Her heart is a crushed when she heard his deep and low voice. Yet happy feelings changed so embarrassed because the tone of the man snapped her. Her brother thought she might want to sell something. “I...well, the problem is rather personal.” Sulli did not want to introduce herself in a state of standing in the doorway.

“Okay. Should you come in.” He pulled over and Sulli through the front door carefully. The man glanced back to the yard before closing the door and turned to face her.

Sulli realized how tall her brother as they stood close together. She herself is tall for the female, but this man is taller above her. Or maybe it’s the impression arises because the dominant attitude. Like her brother exudes power and control. His muscles are not bulging, but his impressive strength rattle.

Sulli looked at his loose tie, and neck upright. His shirt sleeves rolled up to his elbows, revealing the tanned muscular arms. The white cotton cover broad chest narrowing to a flat stomach and long legs hard and slender hidden behind the trouser gray flannel. Maybe he likes to play basketball. Soccer? Tennis? He certainly diligent exercise to maintain the body shape as good as this. Sulli know that he is 27 years oled.

He continued this disturbing silence and stared back without any hesitate. When Sulli move the bag from the shoulder to the hand, every muscle in his body tensed even though he did not move. He was like a cat ready to pounce.

He did not help me resolve this situation, thought Sulli. Maybe he did not want to know what happened to his sister who is separated from him 20 years ago. Maybe he did not even know that he has a sister.

“My name is Choi Sulli,” she introduced herself.

“Miss Choi,” that man said her name in a tone same like before. His brown eyes kept staring at her.

Sulli is wet her lip. “May I sit down?” she asked.

With his outstretched hand pointed at the room entrance and Sulli left running to it. She watched the house comfortable furnishings. All tastefully laid out, although not expensive. The interior of the house is not accordance with the first impression about her brother. She thought that he liked the arrangement a more assertive, in accordance with a cool personality.

What is this? Just a few minutes they met, and she was analyzing his soul! But, the house, the room where she was sitting on the couch, it does not fit with the man. Definitely her wife was decorate it.

“Is Sooyoung unnie at home?” Sulli asked politely.

The answer slowly and carefully. “No. She is go for shopping.”

Sulli smiled and relaxed a little. She was grateful they could be alone for a while. The presence of other people when she introduced herself might make them both feel awkward.

“By the way, I am surprised that you are at home on the workday. I think you are there in the bank.” She knew that her brother is a banker.

Narrowed eyes that had stared at her now is turning to her brown suede bag, which is placed next to the couch. The man was able to make people feel that any motion was nothing passed from his sight. “I came home early today,” the only aswer from him.

“Siwon oppa– may I call you oppa?” seeing his nod, Sulli continued. Time has come. “Oppa, which I will tell you is going to surprised you.” She laughed nervously. “It may be shock is more appropriate.” She looked at her hands clenched in her lap, then lifted her head and looked directly at his eyes. “Do you know that you were adopted?”

Once again his brown eyes narrowed when watching. Barely perceptible nod of his head.

Sulli draw a deep breath. “For years I was looking for you, oppa. I’m your sister.”

His face was expressionless. Sulli sat tensely, waiting for his reaction. Sulli had thought that he would be approached and hugged her, laughing, crying, cursing, indicate shock, anything other than still sitting and looked at her with a face like a mask.

Finally, he grabbed the glasses on top of the head and opened it, twisting the handle and said, “My sister?”

“Yes!” Sulli nodded vigorously, causing her long hair swaying. “I know it’s fantastic, but it’s true! Allow me to tell you about what I know?”

“Go ahead.” Her brother was not excited to hear her notifications, but at least he responded. More than she wants to eliminate suspicions that arise.

“We adopted a small Catholic orphanage in Ulsan. Did you know that?”

“Yeah,” he replied incoherently.

“You’re three years older than me. Our umma handed us for adoption when I was a few months old. I adopted a couple named Lee. Shortly after obtaining me, thay moved to Busan, where I grew up. Currently in high school before I started troubling who I am or where I came from. Guess all of teens do so, but because I was adopted, I feel more and more need to find my origins. I’m sure you can understand that feeling.”

“Yes,” he said. He sat on a couch with his arms folded across his chest. His style is relaxed, but Sulli feel indifference was just a hoax. Her brother never seemed to be actually relax.

“Few years later did I afford in terms of financial and others, start to search my true identity of any difficulty. Now there are many organizations that help adopted children find their parents or siblings. Believe me, I know everything. Every corner I’ve already checked. Almost four years ago–“

Sulli stop when the red phone on the desk rang. With alacrity snake peck, he stood up from the couch and darted across the room. He grabbed that thing on the second ring and said “Yes” testily. He listened for a moment, a moment not take his eyes off from Sulli’s face. “Yeah. No, everything’s alright. I’ll call later.” He hung up and returned to the couch. “Please, continue,” he said quitely.

Sulli stunned by his sudden movements, efficient. Doesn’t people usually say “excuse me” before picking up the phone while talking to someone else? And why is he attacking the phone, not answer it with ease? Is he waiting for an important call?

“Well, I...” Sulli stammered. She was telling about what? He looked suspiciously seen she can not continue.

“You said, ‘Almost four years ago...’”

“Ah, ne,” Sulli said nervously. “Almost four years ago, I began an extensive search our real parents. My adoptive mother understood about my desire to find them and tell me the name of the orphanage in Ulsan. I was very disappointed when I heard that shortly after we adopted, the orphanage was burned and all the record books destroyed. It was backed quest and my search for months. Finally, I managed to find a Nun who served in the orphanage when we brought there. It was then I knew about you for the first time.” She was nervous when her voice broke and tears welled up.

“Can you imagine my happiness on that day? I have a brother! Families bladder. I started observing people’s faces. Each man who same with your age, I watched, wondered if he was you. I will not bore you with the details, just I successfully track your adoptive parents. It was relatively easy because they live in Ulsan. I’m sorry about their gone. They died a few years ago, is not it?”

“Ne.”

“My appa, Mr. Lee, died when I was in college. I hope you were as lucky as me. Husband-wife Lee loved me like their own flesh and blood. And I love them.”

“Yes, my parents, or husband-wife Park, very kind.”

“Oh, I’m very grateful,” Sulli said enthusiastically. “One of the organizations that I was telling you to help me track you got here. I know all about you, but there are still many which I want to know. I want to know everything about you, your life.”

His glasses slipped down to the tip of his nose, while he continued to stare. Then he take it off and put it on the table near his elbow. “Great story too,” he said. “We do not look alike. Who is going to believe that we’re siblings?”

Sulli laughing, happy because now they are having a casual conversation. Hard lines around his mouth softened. She had to be patient. Moreover, today she has notified the things that was a quite a surprise to him. “I also think that when you open the door. Was absolutely no resemblance.”

His eyes were exploring every inch Sulli’s face. Sulli sat motionless while he was watching her, let him examine, as he did when she saw him earlier.

He looked her straight hair that surrounds her head and framed her face. Delicate dark eyebrows arched like the wings above her eyes. Her eyes were round, brown, and when she smiles, her eyes will also be smiling. So that her friends always nicknamed her ‘smiling eyes’. While living in Daegu, she consulted an expert who taught her how to make up and appeared her natural beauty with pencil and sweep the right eye shadow. The results are fascinating people who first met her. Compared words, her eyes are better able to express her feelings and thoughts.

She was so agitated thoroughly as it looked at her brother. His eyes stopped on her lip a soft, wet, and often smiling. When his eyes fell on her chin to the throat, he seemed to realize  that her smoothness skin, quite white when compared to her hair and dark eyes, continue up the neck and other parts.

Sulli smoothed her white wool skirt that really does not tangle while her brother kept looking. Emerald green silk blouse she wore behind the suit suddenly feel tightness, especially when his eyes linger on the necklace of beads that hung on her cleavage of her s. Sulli straighten her legs when his eyes moves from knee to toe.

The man looked back at Sulli’s face, then got up, crossed the room to stand in front of her. “Not all men are lucky to have a younger sister,” he said quitely as he looked at her. “Knowing her existence in the middle age is phenomenon. Has a younger sister as beautiful as you are really fun.”

Sulli blushed happily. “Thank you, oppa.” Her brother proud of her! Perhaps over time she and this stranger could know each other and like– maybe even love.

“You want a drink?” The man reached out and Sulli welcomed without hesitation when he helped her up off the couch. Sulli felt a warm hand as she held his fingers briefly.

“Ne. Gomawo. The flight was overbooked and I was too excited and in a hurry to come here so that I can’t stopped to drinking. I hope you do not think I do not know the etiquette because it comes without informing in advance. I think it is better to see you immediately and does not introduce myself to you by phone.”

“You’re right. I’m glad you came straight here.”

He took her down the hallway past the main dining room– toward the sunlit kitchen. Sulli looked at the view from the window. Siwon’s house is located on a hill, but unfortunately the bay does not seem. The scenery is just roofs of the houses in lower slopes of the hill.

He handed a chair in a small round table in the middle of the kitchen. “What do you want? Coke? Beer? Wine? Soju?”

“Coke,” said Sulli. “I’d love to meet your wife. She knew that you were adopted?”

He ignored the question by opening a can of soft drink and took two glasses from the cupboard. When inserting pieces of ice into the glass he said, “Sooyoung will be at home soon. She went to shop and clear up a few matters.”

“How long have you been married?”

He paused as he handed a glass of Coke. “Several years,” he said lightly. He smiled alluring, and for the first time Sulli see two rows of neat white teeth. Her brother rather good-looking if his expression not sullen and suspicious. “I see you’re married,” he remarked casually as he sat down across from her.

Sulli follow the direction of his gaze to a large diamond ring on her left ring finger. “Not yet,” she muttered. “Just got engaged.” For some reason, she does not want to talk about Kim Jong In now. Jong In always dominate the conversation, and she did not him involved in the first meeting of a special and rare with her brother. “Tell me about your job,” Sulli said quickly to change the subject.

“So what?” he asked flatly. Sulli was surprised to see that his eyes narrowed again, which makes it feel like a specimen under a microscope experiments.

“What exactly do you do? I know you work in a bank.”

“Yeah.” He lifted his shoulders. “I think I’m doing everything a little bit.”

“I understand,” Sulli said, when in fact she doesn’t understand at all.

“How about you?” He asked. “What do you do?”

“I have my own business in Busan.”

Thick brown eyebrows went up. “What kind of business?” He propped his elbows on the table and his chin. Back of the hand and knuckles covered with short blond hair. His fingers were long and tapering. His nails manicured, think Sulli objective.

Sulli looked into his eyes. She could see behind the iris appearance made her uncomfortable. Good looks as a barrier for her to know him. Somehow the closeness between them was dangerous.

“I...uh...my business was organizing and carrying out fashion show,” Sulli replied.

“I’ve never heard if there is a business like that,” he comments.

Sulli laugh. “That’s what makes us unique!” She exclaimed and clapped her brother’s hand.

With alacrity as before, he caught her hand and held it tightly. Their long-sighted. When he spoke, his voice low and trembling.

“A few minutes ago you said that you wanted to know about me. I also want to know about you. Guess we’d better begin now, agree?”

Sulli swallowed and hoped he was willing to let go of her hand. It’s useless trying to pull. His fingers like they were made of steel. She could see herself reflected in his pupils, and its expression is scary. She whispered shaking, “Begin what?”

“Begin to know each other.”

Before she could blink, the man got up and walked around the table. Before she had time to breathe, he pulled her up and hugged her. One hand buried in her hair while he tilted his head back and looked into her face.

“What better way to get to know each other than fraternal affection kiss?”

The face which getting closer to her face that did not show the fraternal affection at all. That’s the last her conscious thought before she felt his lip was squashed her. His fingers gripped her hair is so strong that tears drip due to pain and scare. His other hand across her back, pinning her arms and pressed to his hard body.

Sulli is tried to rebel, but instead moves to strengthen his grip. Deep in scream, a scream that silenced in his mouth. Her lip is throbbing under the pressure of his lip, and is powerless to prevent his tongue movement.

She never kissed like this. It’s disgusting. Terrible sin. Given their family relationships, the way that he kissed her was so immoral and revolting.

But also exciting.

She tried to resist– but not physically. Hands and her legs limp and, feel embarrassed because of it, she instead to leaning to him. It’s useless to rebel.

She against the sensation which dancing on her back. She tried hard to ignore the warm feeling that thrill and melt on her lower abdomen. Her eyes, which earlier widened in surprise and angry, now–closed its own, denied command her brain for remain open and scold of this disgusting man.

The sound of a key inserted into the lock the back door to save her of total resignation. She rebelled again until she managed to step away, while he raised his head and straighten his arm. He facing the door, although remained gripped her upper arm.

Woman which emerged from that door is gorgeous, young, tall, and browned hair. She smiled innocently childlike although her brown eyes looked sad and upset.

Both of people who standing in the middle of the room were transfixed. Expression of the woman who came later seemed to regret and feel guilty, her face wrinkled, pale. The attitude of the man is hard, cold, and scary. The woman looked at him.

“Hello, Mrs. Choi.”

“Minho-shi,” the woman replied embarrassed. “What–“

“Mrs. Choi, do you know this woman?” He was cut her words. “You’ve ever met each other?”

Young woman called Mrs. Choi by a man who should be her husband have it looked at Sulli and shook her head. “No, Minho-shi. I never met her.”

Minho! Minho!

Sulli looked hesitant man who was still clutching her arm. His brown eyes stared back at her as cold and hard as a rock.

“Who are you?” Sulli asked angrily.