Naming Your Group

Advice for Apply Fics

Hello! So, this is the first chapter for Advice for Apply Fics! How are all of you doing? Great? I hope! Now, let’s talk about naming your group.

 

Sometimes, when we name a group, we want to come up with something cool. Something that sounds mystical, maybe something that sounds strong, or something that applies in general. I know that we have those impulses that we want to name our groups with these names

 

  • Mystical Maidens
  • Rap Monsters
  • Stardust Sonics

 

And honestly…please don’t. I’m serious. Don’t do this. Why? Because it sounds like you just got the Thesaurus, browsed through it with your eyes closed, clicked two random words and then boom! You’ve got a name.

 

I think some people don’t understand how important naming something is. An example is your name. Would you want to be called Mystical M. Aiden? I know you wouldn’t want that name in the future, right? So why would you name your group something you will eventually hate in the future?

 

I’m here to tell you how to name your upcoming girl group or boy group.

 

Let’s see – you have tons of group names in mind. You can see your girls or boys introducing themselves with that name. You think ‘Wow! I’m pretty creative!’ and maybe, you are. And then, you sit back and realize you would be a laughing stock if you were really the CEO of your group’s company. Why?

 

Because you named your group Banana Monkeys.

 

I’m sorry, but I think I laughed way too hard when I thought of that. So here are some tips to get you started in naming your group:

 

  • Always think about the concept. Why? Because why would you want a fierce group to have the name Flower Sprinklers? Sure, it would be different, but come on, the name is miles away from your group’s concept. It would definitely suit a cute concept, but a fierce concept that talks about society? No sir.
  • Acronyms never go out of style. Okay, maybe they do, but for me they don’t! Try an acronym, at least it stands for something. If you name your cute group C.A.T then at least it will stand for Cute, Adorable and Talented. But again, that was an uncreative name right? Sorry for not being creative, oh my gosh.
  • Relate it to it’s sister/brother group. Some people use this method, and sometimes it’s foolproof, sometimes it’s not. Think of B.A.P having a sister group and it’s called G.A.P that stand for Girls Are Powerful. Not really nice to see, right? But it kind of works with EXO. If you see EXONYEO (the ‘nyeo’ is derived from ‘sonyeo’ which means girl – I see a lot of talk that they’re calling the upcoming girl group of SM, EXONYEO).

 

A few tips, I know, but that’s all you need to know about naming. Always remember to think long and hard about the name, because this can make or break your story. A name is precious, so work hard!

 

Ah! A quote from yours truly:

 

“When you feel like the whole world is on your shoulders, it's not. The only thing on your shoulders is dust, and my friend, it’s time to brush it off, and stay strong.”

 

I hope you guys found this helpful! Please anticipate the next chapter!