Choosing Your Co-Author

Advice for Apply Fics

Now, I will definitely get on my knees and bow to you if you have completed an apply fic. By yourself that is. Now wipe that grin of your face, because completing an apply fic alone is one of the hardest things to do.

 

So, here are some tips in hiring a co-author.

 

Based on experience, writing an apply fic alone has its perks. You get to have only one of the love interests reserved only for you. You get to write your story alone, and everything you’ve wanted to do with them is in your hands. You don’t need to PM anyone, you don’t need to discuss with anyone, no.

 

You can write your story that way you want to write it!

 

Yet of course, there are drawbacks.

 

If you lose inspiration, no one can help you. If you feel like you can’t write the next scene, it will result for you not to do anything. Just sit there, staring at a blank Microsoft Document page and ponder again why the heck you made an apply fic.

 

It’s hard to write an apply fic, especially alone. We need help once in awhile, so why don’t we ask for help before we start our apply fic?

 

An example is Camp Olympus. I found out that it’s difficult to write it alone. I didn’t give up on it, but I’m still finding my inspiration till now. Sad, right?

 

But a good example is my current apply fic, ZERO. I’ve already reached eighteen chapters all by myself (of course with the help of my cousins who give me scenes and motivation). My two co-authors did an amazing job in the layouts.

 

Though I’ve written every chapter by myself, I would never take credit for myself only. My cousins for example, who give me scenes everyday for ZERO.

 

In picking a good co-author, make sure your co-author is exactly like you when it comes to apply fics. You need someone dedicated, patient and kind. You need someone who can write chapters when you can’t. It doesn’t mean you get to boss you co-author just because she’s a co. No, the both of you need to discuss about the group for hours.

 

Here are some co-authors you do not want with you:

 

  • The Stealers. Why did I call them the stealers? Is because they steal everything. When you propose an idea to them, they write it, but never credit you. You tell them your character persona, they quietly steal it, and because you’re feeling just a bit iffy, you don’t say anything. And then they go updating every time you should update, and it’s like their stealing the story for themselves. You wouldn’t want that, would you? Click that remove co-author quickly before B.A.P makes a comeback.
  • The Lazy Ones. And you don’t know why you hired them at the first place. At first they’re so enthusiastic, eager to help you. But then after one or two days, they stop replying to your urgent PMs, they don’t tell you their character’s persona and they just completely slip away. You’re left with a person who does nothing, only his/her username beside yours. Delete them quickly.
  • The Feelers. There’s this thing in the Philippines where we say to people “She’s such a feeler!” or “He’s such a feeler!” The ‘feeler’ term we mean is that, that person thinks they’re such a good friend to this person, when in reality, they’re not. So, the Feelers I’m talking about now, is those co-authors where they ‘feel’ as if they made your apply fic better. You know, those people who have dozens of apply fics which aren’t completed, but they brag about it. The know-it-alls. They take all the credit, even though it’s not directed towards them. They just do anything with your apply fic that you didn’t even approve of. Replace them right away.

 

So, those were the three types of apply fic co-authors I’ve targeted. If you feel as if your co-author is like this, suggest them to do better. Because you two are a team. A team only works if they work together. Find a co-author who’s solely dedicated to the group and apply fic. Because once you do, you’ll never regret finding her/him.

 

A quote for today!

 

“Don’t let the muggles get you donwn!” – J.K Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban